Cam O'Shea

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stkfc1
Club Player

Re: Cam O'Shea

cwrcyn wrote:That may mean making an early call on some players who have yet to fulfill their potential. Fraught with danger, as we've seen the late flourishing of guys like Seb Ross. The obvious one is the ruck situation, with four rucks on the list we can afford to trade one out. It could be that Riewoldt, Montagna, and Dempster all retire at the end of 2017, which would make the list management a bit easier. It's usually pretty easy to write up a list of guys who won't make the grade, but looking through our list where it currently stands, I cannot make a call on any except Jason Holmes. Minchington just got a two year deal, and I still see potential in Sinclair and Lonie. White and Rice have only been with us a year, and Freeman could be a star if he can overcome his hamstring issues. Outside of that, I'm scratching my head.......
If Hickey has the same sort of year next year then one of Longer (most likely) and Pierce are going to want opportunity elsewhere and their trade value will definitely be in our favour. Id agree Dempster and Monty are probably looking at their last season. Unless Gilbert has an outstanding year then I'd add him to the list as well as Id expect younger players pushing for their spots. Roo (hopefully) may go on 1 more if body ok and form continues. The club has gotten itself in such a strong position for next years trade period it's ridiculous. Love it.

citywest

Rooey, Momty, Demps and Gilbo should all be retired at the end of 2017. The club is bigger than any individual.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Rooey, Momty, Demps and Gilbo should all be retired at the end of 2017. The club is bigger than any individual.

Gilbo is only 30.

Roo is a freak.

Hawks have won flags with players over 30 in their team :idea: Even the young Doggies had a 33 and 34 year old in their flag team this year.

If you are good enough, you play. Looking at age alone as a measure to retire players is simply moronic.

We are as a club now entering a phase where we have rebuilt the team and more and more what will be important is the quality of players, and fierce competition to be in the best 22. So again if you are good enough, and fit enough, you play and it will matter not where you are 19 or 35.

I suspect that why Fisher has been "retired" was due to his ongoing recurring fitness issues.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 06 Nov 2016 10:40pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:
If you are good enough, you play. Looking at age alone as a measure to retire players is simply moronic.

We are as a club now entering a phase where we have rebuilt the team and more and more what will be important is the quality of players, and fierce competition to be in the best 22. So again if you are good enough, and fit enough, you play and it will matter not where you are 19 or 35
This. 100%.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
SMS
Club Player

Sam Gilbert is such an undeated player.
Wouldnt be surprised if he went AA this year now that we have KEY DEDENDERS and he run off half back through the mid breaking lines. Hes 30 possibly back to peak fitness

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Sam Gilbert is such an undeated player.
Wouldnt be surprised if he went AA this year now that we have KEY DEDENDERS and he run off half back through the mid breaking lines. Hes 30 possibly back to peak fitness
Oh sweet jesus

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Oh sweet jesus
I dont want to get dragged in to the Gilbo thing again. Maybe he is 'under-rated' but if you think he even in the same galaxy as AA then you over-rate him. He is lucky to be in the top 200 players in the comp. Nowhere near the top 100. He did finish this season very nicely though so well done to him.

If we draft Rotham at pick 23 then 2016 will be Gilbos last year and Id be willing to bet that no other club picks him up.

Great club-man though and clearly a popular bloke.

citywest

Con Gorozidis wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Oh sweet jesus
I dont want to get dragged in to the Gilbo thing again. Maybe he is 'under-rated' but if you think he even in the same galaxy as AA then you over-rate him. He is lucky to be in the top 200 players in the comp. Nowhere near the top 100. He did finish this season very nicely though so well done to him.

If we draft Rotham at pick 23 then 2016 will be Gilbos last year and Id be willing to bet that no other club picks him up.

No point wasting your time Con. People just don't get it. This is the exact reason why St Kilda is the worst performed club in the history of the comp. By a very long way I might add. People cannot look at the situation objectively because they get attached to players. :roll: At the end of 2017 I would expect all of Rooey, Momty, Demps and Gilbo to be gone.

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

citywest wrote: No point wasting your time Con. People just don't get it. This is the exact reason why St Kilda is the worst performed club in the history of the comp. By a very long way I might add. People cannot look at the situation objectively because they get attached to players. :roll: At the end of 2017 I would expect all of Rooey, Momty, Demps and Gilbo to be gone.
What does that even mean? That St Kilda's history of lacklustre onfield results is due to supporters overrating the players?

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert is not a superstar, but he's a fine player with some issues with his kicking. I'd rather have him in the team than not.

Choppa
Club Player

Gilbert is not a superstar, but he's a fine player
Agree, earns his place.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Choppa wrote:
Gilbert is not a superstar, but he's a fine player
Agree, earns his place.
And he's going to be an all-Australian next season

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Rooey, Momty, Demps and Gilbo should all be retired at the end of 2017. The club is bigger than any individual.
I'm really glad you don't have a say.
Momty??

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Oh sweet jesus

No point wasting your time Con. People just don't get it. This is the exact reason why St Kilda is the worst performed club in the history of the comp. By a very long way I might add. People cannot look at the situation objectively because they get attached to players. :roll: At the end of 2017 I would expect all of Rooey, Momty, Demps and Gilbo to be gone.
What an unadulterated crock of gorilla poo.

And you call yourself a saints supporter.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Is O'Shea really coming to us and is he any good?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
citywest wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Oh sweet jesus

What do you expect from this guy. Surely not a reasonable argument.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Here we are talking about gorilla poo when we should be talking about Port poo.

(sigh, followed by an unpleasant gas)

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Freebird
Club Player

saynta wrote:
citywest wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Oh sweet jesus

He's no saint supporter. No life just comes in here for a tug

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Are we now talking about Gilbert O'Shea, hope he makes it.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I am starting to think we should forget about O'Shea and go for Brennan Cox or Josh Rotham in the draft. Both medium-tall running defenders to replace Gilbo and/or Dempster long term.

I think we are due. We have not used our first selection in the draft on a key defender since 1996 when we got Max Hudghton with pick 15 (20 drafts ago). Before anyone says we used it on Carlisle - I dont think that is correct. If you use the points system (pick 4 - pick 14) then Carlisle was only worth pick 21. That made him our 2nd selection after Gresham.

We need to be thinking five years ahead. Gilbo, Dempster and Brown will be gone and Carlisle and Roberton will be in the twilight. That just leaves us with the so far unproven Goddard and Coughlan (R). I think an investment of a decent pick on a key defender might be sensible with this year's first pick.

Then next year we go back to the first round looking for elite mids.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: We need to be thinking five years ahead. Gilbo, Dempster and Brown will be gone and Carlisle and Roberton will be in the twilight. .
I think we should concentrate on finishing our current re-build before getting too concerned about the re-build after that.

We need to be hopefully playing finals in 2017, with fair dinkum cracks at a GF in 2018-21. 2022+ on should not be a high priority at present.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: We need to be thinking five years ahead. Gilbo, Dempster and Brown will be gone and Carlisle and Roberton will be in the twilight. .
I think we should concentrate on finishing our current re-build before getting too concerned about the re-build after that.

We need to be hopefully playing finals in 2017, with fair dinkum cracks at a GF in 2018-21. 2022+ on should not be a high priority at present.
So said a Richmond and North fan in 2012.

Just get the best young players and build a balanced list. Dont worry about five year plans. Looking at our list I think we still need a quality tall defender under 25yo.
Right now we have none - 1 tops (Goddard).
The only reason I am putting fwd this argument is that Rotham and Cox will be there around our pick. If there is no good tall defenders around our pick - then just go with the best player. If one of those guys is there - we should take him unless there is someone clearly better still available.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Key defenders need to be above 194cm these days to cope with the giant forwards in the game. Ideally, you need two defenders above 196cm. Rotham is 192cm, so I don't think he really qualifies as a key defender. There may be more suitable key position options in next year's draft.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

There is a grain of truth to this but AA is stretching it just a bit.

Having 2 key defenders changes the dynamic of our team and does give us more options.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.