Pick #25 - Ben Long

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Freebird
Club Player

Re: Pick #25 - Ben Long

prwilkinson wrote:
Freebird wrote:No..Dogs were going to maybe rookie Howard.
That was the worst call ever by us and there have been many
Hmm... I've heard that North, Essendon and the dogs all wanted him, I'm ASSUMING that's why the club took him early.

Thats crap...when his name was called out none of the commentators knew him and on research indicated the dogs were maybe looking at a rookie.

I was at a major shopping centre when his name was read out and I thumped the dashboard of the car and then listened as they were trying to find out some details on him. The word was that MAYBE footscray was going to rookie him.

FFS we ran with him early at the expense of having him taken later and selecting a higher ranked player

st sandy
Club Player

I watched a little of the vfl finals including the prelim from which he had a really good game.
Not knowing at the time that he was only a top up player for footscray, I walked away thinking how much depth the bulldogs had and expected him to push for selection in the dogs prelim the following week.

I am really happy that we drafted him. If we had a player picked in the 20's playing so well at afl level we would be calling him a future star.

With a preseason and full time support at club level to improve his game then i think there is enourmas upside.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:
Hmm... I've heard that North, Essendon and the dogs all wanted him, I'm ASSUMING that's why the club took him early.

Thats crap...when his name was called out none of the commentators knew him and on research indicated the dogs were maybe looking at a rookie.

I was at a major shopping centre when his name was read out and I thumped the dashboard of the car and then listened as they were trying to find out some details on him. The word was that MAYBE footscray was going to rookie him.

FFS we ran with him early at the expense of having him taken later and selecting a higher ranked player
Big deal so you don't rate him. Tell us who will be better and why?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Saints43
Club Player

Freebird wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:

Can you please quantify the research that the commentators you were listening to had done?

And, do you always hit things when you don't understand what's going on?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

You all know Freebird is talking about the 2007 draft where we took Brad Howard.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Just had a browse over at the Dogs forum and plenty of them wanted Long.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think Freebird is talking about Howard, not Long?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I think Freebird is talking about Howard, not Long?
I'm completely lost. What has this got to do with the 2016 draft.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:From Quigley's yearly...

37. Ben Long

Ben is the nephew of Essendon legend Michael and he does have a bit of the Long body shape. He has the same kind of long legged athletic build that Michael had. Ben is a 19 year old and still very light but I expect him to put on enough bulk to compete at AFL level. Despite his current lack of bulk and long legged build he is surprisingly strong and he is certainly capable of fighting above his weight division.

Long played seniors in the NT at the end of last season before coming down to board at Melbourne Grammar for the year. He played for the NT and Allies at the Champs before finishing the season playing seniors for Footscray in the VFL. He has also played significant minutes in the backline, midfield and forward line at different times of the year. So he has had to adjust a lot over the year to different team structures, teammates and positions. By all reports he has been very professional about it and he has performed very nicely at all levels. With that said I am sure he is looking forward to settling into a stable environment where he has only one position to learn and one set of teammates to get to know.

When I saw him at the Champs I thought he showed real potential as a lock down small defender who could give some nice offensive run. Footscray though had other ideas in their use of him in the VFL and now I have to consider that he might be better at the other end of the ground. In the VFL preliminary final against Collingwood, Long kicked 6 goals and showed some nice dynamism as a forward. Personally I still like him as a defender but having the flexibility to play up forward certainly helps his chances of being drafted.

Up forward Long tends to get most of his goals from crumbing the fall of the ball or as a result of his running ability. He is not a real leading target although he is a reasonable mark of the ball when he has to fly. He is clean below the knees and has pretty good finishing ability around goal from any angle. In space he is seems to be elusive although you do wonder a little why he is not tackled more than he is. He does not have a particular big or violent change of direction but he does sell it well and opponents regularly do not lay a glove on him. Wherever he is on the ground he will attack the ball on the ground and has the ability to collect at pace, balance and then use it well. This skill is particularly handy up forward where he can finish those type of plays with a goal. Another thing he offers up forward is very good defensive pressure. He has a very good burst of pace that he uses to run down unaware opponents and when he is in the area perceived pressure will be higher for opposition defenders.

In the Div 1 Champs he was a little quiet for the Allies playing mostly as a lock down defender. As a consequence he went unnoticed by most until the last game against Vic Country. In that game he was matched up on Ainsworth and basically shut him out of the game which was a significant factor in the Allies winning that game. Long was quick and smart enough to cover Ainsworth on his leads and strong enough to hold his own in body on body contests. He outmarked Ainsworth a few times and generally showed himself to be a very disciplined defender who has the tools to match up on the best. One of the other plays involving Long I noted at the Champs was against Vic Metro when Bunker tried a big don't argue on Long. Long just went straight through it and made a very good tackle. I think people seriously underestimate how strong he is. Long has good running ability but this wa not really showcased in the Div 1 Champs. It was on show however in his games for NT when he averaged 20 disposals per game. For the NT he showed some really nice dash coming from defence and on the wing and his skills were very decent at speed.

As is common from those who come from outside elite programs, Long did not test particularly strongly at the Combine and the results probably undersold his athleticism. He ran a 3.01 in the 20m, 25.9 in the repeat sprint, 13.4 in the beep test, 10.52 in the 3km and 8.54 in the agility test. Those were all lower than expected but within the margin of what you would have expected. I was a bit disappointed in his jumping results which were below average but I was encouraged by his kicking test which was in the top 10.

Overall I like Long and think he could well end up a very nice player. As far as a player comparison I would probably go with Zac Williams.
His kicking was a little better than Top 10 at the Combine;

"At the four-day screening of the nation’s most sought-after football talent, Long recorded a level 13.6 beep test as well as times of 10:52 in the 3km time trial, 3.03 seconds in the 20m sprint and 25.90 seconds in the repeat sprint test, while also finishing equal-third in the kicking test."

http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page ... D=48643631

It seems he can stop, go and use it when he gets it.

Someone else mentioned him being just the 71 Kgs 'wringing wet'. Quigley up above seems to have been rather taken with his willingness and strength in a contest.

It's all relative, of course but, IIRC, Neil Elvis Winwar was around 67 Kgs when he arrived from the West (at 21, too, IIRC). And, while again emphasising "relative", there really are some players who don't need lots of apparent muscle to be very effective at various facets of the game.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Freebird wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:

Wires crossed I think. I was still commenting on Longy, not Howard.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Apt that we went Long in theory and in person. We went Long on strategy trading out for two first rounders in 2017 and then Long in practise with Ben.

ChrisRyanSaints
Club Player

Cyril riolis cousin???
He has grown up watching cyril educating himself on cyril?? EXCELLENT.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Note just in from a compadre, a compadre who does have some connections;

"One of my older sources has advised that he was speaking to another club's recruiting person, who thought we have got a beauty in Long....x-factor, uses the ball well, quick, versatile and tough...a good pick up, who most likely would have been gone at our next pick! Quite complimentary on Phillips as well...apart from being a bit outside for his liking. Apart from his football skills, he described him as being very diligent, committed and intelligent.

And you are correct Thommo...Winmar was 21 when we recruited him...not sure of his weight at the time...but he certainly wasn't a large chap!!

As a comparison, it would be interesting to see the reaction if N. E. was just starting out in this day and age....and we drafted him at #23....a skinny, 21yo indigenous type, playing 2nds footy at South Fremantle!! There would be meltdowns on Saintsational and Big Footy...that would compare with Fukishima and Chenobyl (spelling of both?) combined!!!"

I've advised him of both spelling errors.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Territory AFL draft picks Ben Long and Brandan Parfitt prepare for big time
MARC McGOWAN, NT News
November 27, 2016 11:14am
Subscriber only

REAL men do cry, especially when they find out their AFL dreams are realised.

Childhood mates Ben Long and Brandan Parfitt, who first played together for the Casuarina Cougars in rugby in under-11s, both admitted to shedding tears as they shared their AFL draft experience on Friday night with family.

The budding Territory stars were remarkably selected with back-to-back picks – Long, 19, to St Kilda at No.25 and Parfitt, 18, next to Geelong – before 21-year-old Willie Rioli joined West Coast at No.52.

Long and Parfitt were their new AFL clubs’ first choices.

“We had a bit of joking around, like ‘I’m going to go before you’,” Long told the NT News. “But it was all a guess. It was an awesome feeling when I got picked up and Brandan straight after me.

“Two Territorians back-to-back ... I don’t think that’s happened before.”

Long is the nephew of Essendon premiership great Michael Long and his cousins Jake Long and Cyril Rioli are already in the AFL.

Willie Rioli is his uncle.

“Being a Long and having a big family and a big reputation – obviously my uncle Michael Long played in the AFL and is a legend of the Essendon Football Club – to me, it’s a lot to live up to and I’m proud and I love my family,” Long said.

“I had Cyril over last night and that was very special – it meant a lot to me.

“My cousin (Jake) rang me and text me before the draft and rang me a couple of minutes ago (yesterday).

“I’m just so happy they’re there for me as well.”

Long captained the NT under-18s this year and won a VFL premiership with Footscray, including booting six goals in the preliminary final.

He was on the red-eye flight to Melbourne last night and will report for Saints duty, alongside former Northern Knights TAC Cup teammate Jade Gresham, tomorrow.

Parfitt, an All-Australian last year, joins superstars Joel Selwood and Patrick Dangerfield, as well as Territorians Steven Motlop and Nakia Cockatoo at Kardinia Park.

The classy ex-Nightcliff midfielder has already fielded calls from Selwood and Dangerfield, urging him to take his opportunity “with both hands”.

“I still don’t think it’s sunk in yet,” Parfitt said.

“It’s a dream come true to play AFL footy and ... I can’t wait to get there.”

Freebird
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:
Freebird wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:

Big deal so you don't rate him. Tell us who will be better and why?
I was talking about Howard..bad piece of recruiting...Long it has been mentioned that dogs were very interested and may have gone 3 picks later. This is completely different to the Howard drafting. I'm excited by Longs potential.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

OK not sure why Howard was brought up.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:OK not sure why Howard was brought up.
There is some thought that St.Kilda bid major overs for Long who was predicted to go on many phantom drafts around the mid 50s. This has since been de-mythed to a degree since with all of the W.B, Ess and North suggesting they would have taken him before our 2nd pick.

From the Saints POV, we swooped in before our belief that the doggies would get him in a few picks time.

It was suggested that the Saints paid major overs for Howard years ago due to a belief that the Doggies would get him next. Something that seems to be incorrect on reports.

There is a certain deja'vu about the whole thing worth bringing up though it doesn't hold to scrutiny

ace
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:To be honest doesn't matter whether the dogs were going to draft him or not. We saw him as best available
Sure but it is nice to know they were going to use their first pick on him
The Dogs first pick was at 19.
They may well have been going to take Long with that pick but they took ruckman Tim English instead.
The Dogs 2nd pick was at 28.
We took Long with pick 25.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
ace
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:It's Ben Long time..!
Ben too Long, 50 years is more than half a lifetime to wait.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

ace
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I must point out that Ben is Long, But Bill is Longer.
I thought that Bill was Shorten.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Ben a Long time Ben a Long time Ben a Long lonely lonely time

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Looking forward to drafting Jack Longest next year.

Long, Longer, Longest.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Looking forward to drafting Jack Longest next year.

Long, Longer, Longest.
:) :) :) :)

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:To be honest doesn't matter whether the dogs were going to draft him or not. We saw him as best available
Sure but it is nice to know they were going to use their first pick on him
The Dogs first pick was at 19.
They may well have been going to take Long with that pick but they took ruckman Tim English instead.
The Dogs 2nd pick was at 28.
We took Long with pick 25.
Yep, my bad

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Freebird
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
ace wrote:
Ben a Long time Ben a Long time Ben a Long lonely lonely time
Rock n Roll