what's happened to Bazza

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Re: what's happened to Bazza

Toy Saint wrote:Reckon he could have won us the 1997 flag, but Alves left him on the bench at a vital stage. May have cost us a flag.

He could've won it by king-hitting Jarman in the third.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:Reckon he could have won us the 1997 flag, but Alves left him on the bench at a vital stage. May have cost us a flag.
Doubt that was the move that lost us the GF.
Based on how farken Jarman turned out post footy we should've offered him a few free Jars at half time perhaps?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:

He could've won it by king-hitting Jarman in the third.
:D I could never understand why that slow witted Shanahan didn't do that.

Never played for the Saints again after that dreadful performance, but then the coach shouldn't have kept him on Jarman.

Too good for him by half.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Andrew Thompson had tagged Jarman out of the game up to half time. Blighty moved Jarman to full forward to break the tag. That was the move that won the sex offenders the flag. Jamie Shanahan joins Cat Colling in the hall of shame. Blokes who cost us a flag. Throw Luke Ball in for good measure.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saint64
Club Player

Jamie Shanahan was a really good player for us for a number of years leading up to that game. The criticisms of him here are a bit harsh IMO

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Norm Goss told me that the phone broke in the box that day. Alves tried to move Max onto Jarman but couldn't get the message out for about 7 minutes.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

saint64 wrote:Jamie Shanahan was a really good player for us for a number of years leading up to that game. The criticisms of him here are a bit harsh IMO
Cruel, but fair, saint64. The cat was one of my all time favourites, but I can't forgive him for Keddie. Same with Jamie. Good career ruined by one hour of a clueless performance. Isn't that the cruel irony of life? Reminds me of the Jean Pierre joke. Two Aussies sit down in a Parisian cafe. They hear the patrons summoning the waiter with the cry of, Jean Pierre, c**k suckerr! The Aussies listen for a while, then summon him. They tell him he shouldn't put up with t hat shyte. Be a man, they tell him. He tells them the following. "Gentlemen, let me tell you my story. It is very sad. I fought in the resistance in WWII. I was decorated for bravery. Do they call me Jean Pierre the war hero and liberator of Francais? No. I played football for France in World Cups. Do they call me Jean Pierre the football hero? No. I write a book about my extraordinary life. It goes to number one on the best seller list. Do they call me Jean Pierre the great author? No. I sucked one lousy c**k! I think there's something in that for all of us, don't you?

saint64
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:
saint64 wrote:Jamie Shanahan was a really good player for us for a number of years leading up to that game. The criticisms of him here are a bit harsh IMO
Cruel, but fair, saint64. The cat was one of my all time favourites, but I can't forgive him for Keddie. Same with Jamie. Good career ruined by one hour of a clueless performance. Isn't that the cruel irony of life? Reminds me of the Jean Pierre joke. Two Aussies sit down in a Parisian cafe. They hear the patrons summoning the waiter with the cry of, Jean Pierre, c**k suckerr! The Aussies listen for a while, then summon him. They tell him he shouldn't put up with t hat shyte. Be a man, they tell him. He tells them the following. "Gentlemen, let me tell you my story. It is very sad. I fought in the resistance in WWII. I was decorated for bravery. Do they call me Jean Pierre the war hero and liberator of Francais? No. I played football for France in World Cups. Do they call me Jean Pierre the football hero? No. I write a book about my extraordinary life. It goes to number one on the best seller list. Do they call me Jean Pierre the great author? No. I sucked one lousy c**k! I think there's something in that for all of us, don't you?
:lol:

saint64
Club Player

Just for interest sake - here is a 2009 article on Shanahan

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/fi ... 117433ac99

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Don't agree and not nearly as harsh as some Saints officials thought.

As Rus Holmesby and Jim Main say in their Encyclopedia of AFL footballers: "A nightmare 1997 Grand final was thought to have caste him out of favor with some at St Kilda, but he was not equipped to handle Darren Jarmen who did all the damage.

When he sought a long-term contract, St Kilda refused to agree and he was lost to the club."

Good riddance I say. Anyway he only managed a further two years with the Dees.

"Caste him out of favor" was Russell being nice, as I believe a lot of harsh words were said at the time.

I was there on what turned out to be one of the worst days of my life.

Shanahan was well and truly pantsed by Jarmen who kicked 5 of the easiest goals you have ever seen on him in that final quarter.

I will never forget or forgive. He should have knocked the prick out. Cowboy would have.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Bizarre rant

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

BigMart wrote:Bizarre rant
agreed especially when he seems to be "denigrating" a saints great
what the ranters are forgetting is that Jarman did EXACTLY the same thing twelve months later in their back to back

Seeya
saynta
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
what the ranters are forgetting is that Jarman did EXACTLY the same thing twelve months later in their back to back

Saints great?

What utter rubbish.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bizarre comment.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
sunsaint wrote:

Saints great?

What utter rubbish.
Jamie Shanahan a saints great? Hardly. 162 games as a GOP at best. Baldock, Stewart, Smith, Ditterich, Lockett, Harvey, Loewe, Winmar, Burke and Roo are greats. Jamie hardly belongs in that company. Let's not rewrite history. He had a big hand in costing us a flag. Then got shopped out.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
saynta wrote:
sunsaint wrote:

Saints great?

What utter rubbish.
Jamie Shanahan a saints great? Hardly. 162 games as a GOP at best. Baldock, Stewart, Smith, Ditterich, Lockett, Harvey, Loewe, Winmar, Burke and Roo are greats. Jamie hardly belongs in that company. Let's not rewrite history. He had a big hand in costing us a flag. Then got shopped out.
You are once again 100% correct. :D

Some people try to rewrite a player's history as you say.

Doesn't wash with me.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Norm Goss told me that the phone broke in the box that day. Alves tried to move Max onto Jarman but couldn't get the message out for about 7 minutes.
I was told that they were screaming for Burkey to get on him by Jeans in the stands none the less. Stan was full of moves...stubborn bastard.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
saynta wrote:
sunsaint wrote:

Saints great?

What utter rubbish.
Remember when watching this at the "convent" before the 2 sisters booted me out.

Shanas stopped running ball bounced in instead of out. Portable telly gets tipped out of window.

3 min later knock on door. Evicted on the Monday.

f*** you Shanas....

saint64
Club Player

saynta wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
saynta wrote:
sunsaint wrote:

Saints great?

What utter rubbish.
You are once again 100% correct. :D

Some people try to rewrite a player's history as you say.

Doesn't wash with me.
Not a great, but a good player for us over 125 games. He played his part in getting us into the GF in the first place, and filled a void for us after Frawley retired. Surely we can celebrate the great things he did for us, as well as lament the circumstances which led him to be one out on a great player who was absolutely on fire and at the top of his game.

Winmar
Club Player

He was a very good player up to and including the prelim, then he had a shocker in his last game for us. That doesn't rewrite the history of his previous 124 games.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Winmar wrote:He was a very good player up to and including the prelim, then he had a shocker in his last game for us. That doesn't rewrite the history of his previous 124 games.

I don't think anybody has said that.

But calling him a saint great is just rubbish.

He wasn't by any stretch of the imagination, as is calling him a very good footballer.

He was what Jack Dyer would call a good ordinary footballer. No more no less.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Winmar wrote:He was a very good player up to and including the prelim, then he had a shocker in his last game for us. That doesn't rewrite the history of his previous 124 games.
Agree but he saved one of his worst games to last and his effort I described above was pathetic for a GF.

Our problem was that Stan did not appear to have a plan b for Rat toss bags moves that everyone saw was coming. We also relied way too much on Harvey and Burke.

Toss bag is the worst coaches that we have ever had. Just wanted the money, a beer and a smoke. Arrogant wanker.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Agree but he saved one of his worst games to last and his effort I described above was pathetic for a GF.

Our problem was that Stan did not appear to have a plan b for Rat toss bags moves that everyone saw was coming. We also relied way too much on Harvey and Burke.

Toss bag is the worst coaches that we have ever had. Just wanted the money, a beer and a smoke. Arrogant wanker.
Ain't that the truth, SP? I'm still trying to persuade our HR manager of the time, Brian Phelan, to write our book of "Blighty" stories. Blight's so called dignified silence after he was sacked was based more on the humiliating things Buttersssss, GT and BP could've revealed about him. BP did a bit of work for me after he left the saints. The long drive to Pt. Henry was always made better by the laughs we got out of Blighty stories. He was an absolute Barry Crocker. I don't think anyone did less to earn as much as he did.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Agreed, Jamie Shanahan wasn't to blame. For a start he wasn't a suitable match up for Jarman. Adelaide had the better of us in the ruck & midfield and smashed us there in the second half. That was due to Renn & Pittman doing as they pleased because we had Everitt & Vidovic out. If both of them, or even one of them had played, Adelaide would have got nowhere near us.

Then there was the passing of Winmar's father which had a massive impact on Winmar's (who had been in the best form of his career) performance.

Unfortunately, Stewie Loewe didn't disclose issues that probably significantly impacted his performance on that day prior to the game.

Just before the start of this season I saw Stan Alves at a fundraiser, where he spoke candidly. Shanahan came up and Stan reiterated that he never blamed Shanahan for Jarman running amok. He had a high regard for Shanahan and made it clear that it was Andrew Plympton who wanted Shanahan offered up as a scapegoat. Stan refused and made it clear that Shanahan was a valued and required player. Plympton then traded him without Stan knowing! Stan found out when he rang up Shanahan to meet for coffee (where Stan intended to express full confidence in Shanahan), only to be told by Shanahan that he'd been traded.

Disgraceful from Plympton, who never took responsibility, causing the germination of mistrust between Alves & the playing group.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

The Recruit wrote:Stabbed saints in the back and went to Sydney for money
Spoke poorly of the club after he retired
Played in a winning GF team after punching our best back at the time in the stomach

Where is Barry hall...?
Who gives a f@!k
Yep. Even after we supported him after his despicable dog act of breaking Sam McFarlane from North's jaw at Waverley (nice kid who never played another game).

Dog act on Goose too. + Staker. Pattern here anyone?

Funnily enough - he speaks poorly of Sydney too ... it's only the Dogs he favors.

So, yeah - I'm with you TR - couldn't give a f$%k where that poor excuse for a human being is.

Go you red, black & white warriors