Jaxons come on down (2017/18 thread)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jaxons come on down (2017/18 thread)

Con Gorozidis wrote:
jaxons wrote:
SMS wrote:Excellent thanks jaxons.
Was gonna say no way is tomlinson worth first round
So many options anything could happen over next 6 weeks. Exciting.
7,8 - Bonar, Stephenson
Tomlinson for Hickey, Lonie
Austin for 3rd Round

I could live with that
Bonar looks special doesn't he.
Kind of Adam Goodes type, but the 2 knee reconstructions make him a risk and we would get scoffed at if we took him at 7 or 8.
Think if we don't though we will regret it forever.
Yep. Ryan Burton is going to be an absolute star and slipped to 19 after his knee injury. Should have gone at pick 2.
Amazing that Adelaide took Doedee ahead of Burton that said he was apparently close to debuting this year with some strong SANFL performances

We too overlooked Burton but I guess we will just have to make do with Gresh :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SuperDuper
Club Player

jaxons wrote:
7,8 - Bonar, Stephenson
Austin for 3rd Round

I could live with that
Kind of Adam Goodes type, but the 2 knee reconstructions make him a risk and we would get scoffed at if we took him at 7 or 8.
Just great that the club can do their homework on Bonar and make the choice as he will very likely be there at our picks...
Could be a superstar..

I doubt anyone will scoff considering we will get another highlighy rated player at 7 and also because they will be worried about getting egg on their face.

There will be some comments about risk/reward.. but I dont think too many will simply scoff without covering their bases and pointing to the possible high pay-off

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
7,8 - Bonar, Stephenson
Austin for 3rd Round

I could live with that
The word is that that Bonar would have likely been in the mix for pick 1 if he hadn't done his knee - 2nd op was to fix up the 1st op which didn't take

Given his strong comeback and his combine showing reckon he is worth the risk as well - looks like an absolute bull

Could another team with an earlier pick Bonar us - Collingwood? Carlton? North?

Either way we will get two pretty good players at 7 & 8 if we keep them

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
MickThomas
Club Player

Medical expertise keeps advancing, so I suggest 2 recos in this era are handled much better
and have much less issue than those happening about say 15 years ago.
Although...the second one to correct the 1st proves surgeons are still human.

Somebody said Selwood had a knee op early on, and look at his career.
A young person's body will repair quicker than a 28-30 year old, so at his age,
he should be able to build up muscle easily and be fine.

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
Junior
Club Player

Does our history cloud our thinking on taking risks and being brave?

Due to our lack of success it seems to me that if we get something wrong it is St Kilda are crap, poorly run, poor culture.

As a result we okay it save, Hawthorn and Geelong on the other hand can take risks as they have had success and won't be questioned hence Joel Selwood and Ryan. Burton.

High risk high reward, if we keep both picks this is the time where we can take a risk in one if we believe the player is good enough.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:Does our history cloud our thinking on taking risks and being brave?
McCartin, Freeman...we've never been a club that plays it safe.

Junior
Club Player

Regardless of McCartins output he was not a huge risk was considered in the top two players of his draft year.
Freeman was traded for a second round pick hardly a huge risk really but granted he was injured but badly mismanaged .

I am talking about taking a risk with a high selection, take the risk on Selwood and we would have a few premierships under our belt, everyone knew how good he was but we would not risk his shoulders.

Pulled out of Dustin Martin race when he was previously out of contract, all because the perception was he was no choir boy.

Michael Gardiner back in the day was a risk, injury prone and off field issues.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

A friends brother in law is a recruiter at Norf, he says Bonar is the best talent in the draft and potentially the next Nat Fife.
Wouldn't be surprised if they grab him at #4.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

GWS have ruled out trading Tomlinson.
Sigh!

Nee!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:Regardless of McCartins output he was not a huge risk was considered in the top two players of his draft year.
Freeman was traded for a second round pick hardly a huge risk really but granted he was injured but badly mismanaged .

I am talking about taking a risk with a high selection, take the risk on Selwood and we would have a few premierships under our belt, everyone knew how good he was but we would not risk his shoulders.

Pulled out of Dustin Martin race when he was previously out of contract, all because the perception was he was no choir boy.

So, you're comparing risk by not taking talented players with injury concerns (Selwood), against low risk by taking talented players with injury (or medical) medical concerns? Hmmm.

Plenty of clubs shirked Dusty and Bennell...and probably Lovett too, when he was available. I'm sure every Saints supporter would love the Saints to play it safe for once.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:I am talking about taking a risk with a high selection, take the risk on Selwood and we would have a few premierships under our belt, everyone knew how good he was but we would not risk his shoulders.
Pretty sure we didn't have a pick before Selwood was chosen at #7, would agree if you are referring to Judd who had shoulder issues and we took Luke Ball #2 ahead of Judd.
Had we got the selections of Ball at #2 & X.Clarke #5 & trading #17 for Heath Black correct we'd probably have won 3 flags by now, even old peanut butter and jam sandwiches would have got a couple of flags with Judd & a mix of Bartel/Kelly/ etc from the super draft on his list.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Junior
Club Player

degruch wrote:
Junior wrote:Regardless of McCartins output he was not a huge risk was considered in the top two players of his draft year.

So, you're comparing risk by not taking talented players with injury concerns (Selwood), against low risk by taking talented players with injury (or medical) medical concerns? Hmmm.

Plenty of clubs shirked Dusty and Bennell...and probably Lovett too, when he was available. I'm sure every Saints supporter would love the Saints to play it safe for once.
Not all all it, if the more talented player is injury free then take him but don't not take a player if he is more talented just because he is injured. If when we get to our pick Bonar is the most talented player take him don't take someone else because of concern over his knee. He has played some football tested quite well so looks good to go.

Take last year we drafted Long , I wanted Shai Bolton but from what I was told there were concerns at the club over his return home factor so we went with the safe option of the player already settled in Melbourne.

This is the type of thing I am talking about, clearly if there is a more talented player available and the medical opinion is his leg is falling off then don't take the risk.

Anyway we have differing views and that is fine, I am sure we both want two stars with our picks.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
7,8 - Bonar, Stephenson
Austin for 3rd Round

I could live with that
Agreed I dont think we can afford to be worrying about what the industry thinks. Back yourselves in Trout snd co and take Bonar early.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Ricky Nixon appeared at the AFl trade centre this morning. Pretty sure he can give the Saints some top advice! :)

Rumour is the AFL kicked him out of the joint. That bloke is a nutjob.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
ss1986
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote:
Junior wrote:I am talking about taking a risk with a high selection, take the risk on Selwood and we would have a few premierships under our belt, everyone knew how good he was but we would not risk his shoulders.
Pretty sure we didn't have a pick before Selwood was chosen at #7, would agree if you are referring to Judd who had shoulder issues and we took Luke Ball #2 ahead of Judd.
Had we got the selections of Ball at #2 & X.Clarke #5 & trading #17 for Heath Black correct we'd probably have won 3 flags by now, even old peanut butter and jam sandwiches would have got a couple of flags with Judd & a mix of Bartel/Kelly/ etc from the super draft on his list.
Bit harsh on Heath Black. Maybe my memory is failing me... but I thought he was a pretty good contributor for us?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:Ricky Nixon appeared at the AFl trade centre this morning. Pretty sure he can give the Saints some top advice! :)

One would hope so.

saint-stu
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:Ricky Nixon appeared at the AFl trade centre this morning. Pretty sure he can give the Saints some top advice! :)

He is indeed. Have you seen what he says on Twitter? Worse than Donald Trump!

1ac46a38
Drake Huggins
Club Player

diddley wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Yes the the strategy after having missed out on a genuine Big Fish mid like Kelly now seems to be:

- to keep our first two picks for best available mids,
- while shoring up our height in the backline through trades and/or late use of picks/rookie pick.
- to try and trade off a player or two if the price is right
Agreed. I have been thinking for a while that we should somehow try and get into the top 3. But the more I think about it, I think use both 7&8 on 2 mids. Take the risk on Bonar and grab the best available left, someone like Cerra.
I would love to try and get one more decent kpb in though. Just can’t figure out a way to get everything I want.
Me too, Diddley. Like the wish list of the kid at Xmas, I can have the bike, but not the xbox as well. Decisions, decisions!

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

saint-stu wrote:

I couldn't even look at at Nixon's twitter account. It would make me sick. :mrgreen:

He is just another big nosed tosser that was involved in AFL that thought he was indestructible. What a f##king loser.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
supersaints
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:
saint-stu wrote:

I couldn't even look at at Nixon's twitter account. It would make me sick. :mrgreen:

He is just another big nosed tosser that was involved in AFL that thought he was indestructible. What a f##king loser.
Agree he is a complete Tosser ...but non the less a Ex St kilda footballer of about fifty games or so...

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
MickThomas
Club Player

He was looking for 17 year olds on Google and his GPS directed him there as a likely 'POI'
but some think he's actually a 'POS'

Anyways...he had a bit of income and it's now all gone

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:
Bit harsh on Heath Black. Maybe my memory is failing me... but I thought he was a pretty good contributor for us?
Yes he was a decent player, though a bit personally troubled.
We traded 17 to Freo who on traded it to the Cats who took James Kelly.
Of course it's unlikely we would have picked Kelly but Heath doesn't compare to Pops as a player.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

MickThomas wrote:

He was looking for 17 year olds on Google and his GPS directed him there as a likely 'POI'
but some think he's actually a 'POS'

Anyways...he had a bit of income and it's now all gone
Lol. Maybe Tinder sent him there. Must have been a 18yo cadet female journo working at AFL House.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

If we are in the market for a young KPP defender I wonder if Kieran Collins could be on the table.
I saw him as a junior and really rated his marking and agility.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

According to the TradeWhisperer, we are in discussions with Carlton around swapping our 2 draft picks for pick 3. I assume we get something back.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.