I dont want to hear "Saints Footy" Anymore

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nw7
Club Player

I dont want to hear "Saints Footy" Anymore

What the hell is Saints Footy, its embarrassing to hear the players talking about Saints Footy, Gilbert said it last night after the coin toss, "we just have to play Saints Footy" The brand of Saints Footy we are preaching is just crap.

I know there is another thread about young Brandon White not manning the mark properly. I was shocked to see how there was no thought to do the basics and make Bruest (1st Hawks goal) and then Gunstan later in the game kick from where they should. When you watch the well coached disciplined teams you can see the intent when executing the basics of the game. Man the Mark with intent, close down space with intent, Sheppard with intent, tap on to a players advantage with intent, support your team mate with intent and many more 1% acts are missing from our team, not expected, not a focus. Brandon White should have been told the first time he did it that it was unacceptable, he wasn't and it happened again. In fact he should not have been selected in the Team without these behaviours already instilled as a second nature when representing the Club.
When I watch Richmond, Sydney, Geelong and Hawthorn play win lose or draw these things are drilled into the team and they must be measured, all I ever hear about from Richo is "win the contested ball and everything will be ok"
The behaviours required to be an uncompromising tough strong AFL Team can be taught and should be expected, Richmond was a basket case a few years ago and now they are a fantastic competitive team, everyone who comes into the Team is expected to play a certain way and do play that way. They have a BRAND and Actions to back it up. Saints Footy is just words with no action and Intent. Brandon White and all our kids have talent, I hope he plays 200 games for our club, its not fair on him and the rest of our young players that they are not developed to the standard required.
Back to you on field Leaders and Coaches.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: I dont want to hear "Saints Footy" Anymore

nw7 wrote:
Back to you on field Leaders.
Which on field leaders are you referring to?

Where are our:
Riewoldt;
Harvey;
Hayes;
Goddard

type leaders?

Drom what I can see there is no on field leadership - no-one grabbing a line and dragging it kicking and screaming into the contest.
Carlisle has shown a bit - but it was taken more as a sook
Steven leads by example
Geary - Meh!

Riewoldt and Goddard would let you know in no uncertain terms that they were displeased.
I cannot imagine it would be comfortable looking into Lenny's eyes if you had not put in 100%

We have no off field guidance - we have no on-field leadership

Who is going to stand up and drag this team into the contest????

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
ace
Saintsational Legend

nw7 wrote:What the hell is Saints Footy, its embarrassing to hear the players talking about Saints Footy, Gilbert said it last night after the coin toss, "we just have to play Saints Footy" The brand of Saints Footy we are preaching is just crap.

I know there is another thread about young Brandon White not manning the mark properly. I was shocked to see how there was no thought to do the basics and make Bruest (1st Hawks goal) and then Gunstan later in the game kick from where they should. When you watch the well coached disciplined teams you can see the intent when executing the basics of the game. Man the Mark with intent, close down space with intent, Sheppard with intent, tap on to a players advantage with intent, support your team mate with intent and many more 1% acts are missing from our team, not expected, not a focus. Brandon White should have been told the first time he did it that it was unacceptable, he wasn't and it happened again. In fact he should not have been selected in the Team without these behaviours already instilled as a second nature when representing the Club.
When I watch Richmond, Sydney, Geelong and Hawthorn play win lose or draw these things are drilled into the team and they must be measured, all I ever hear about from Richo is "win the contested ball and everything will be ok"
The behaviours required to be an uncompromising tough strong AFL Team can be taught and should be expected, Richmond was a basket case a few years ago and now they are a fantastic competitive team, everyone who comes into the Team is expected to play a certain way and do play that way. They have a BRAND and Actions to back it up. Saints Footy is just words with no action and Intent. Brandon White and all our kids have talent, I hope he plays 200 games for our club, its not fair on him and the rest of our young players that they are not developed to the standard required.
I am glad my eyes, watching the TV, did not deceive me.
Gunston marked a couple of metres beyond the 50 metres arc, a sliding mark so maybe even further before deemed to have control of the mark.
He should have needed a kick over 60 metres with a tall jumping at the goal line.
He made the journey with ease because he was allowed to kick from much closer than the mark.
The commentators did not notice.
To me it shows an I don't care attitude, I am just going through the motions.
We need a Royal Commission to identify bad player attitude.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

This may upset a few.
I know it will upset the Stone with a Virus.

Give Jack Steven the ball at a centre bounce he put his head down and gives everything he has to break clear.
Give the ball to an opponent that opponent does the same.
Jack gives chase but the opponent waltzes away from him.
Jack has different top speeds when he has the ball and an opponent has the ball.
This is NOT Saints football.
Yeah he is fourth in the comp for disposals BUT
He is also an atrocious kick.
Poor disposal, poor chase.
He is not elite, he is not A grade, he is B grade.

Now try to howl me down.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Saints footy does not include a tagger.
Stevie Baker would cry if he let some get 45 possessions, 22 kicks and 7 marks.

We were trying to tag Tom Mitchell weren't we Richo.
We learnt that from North's Ben Jacobs shut down job last week.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Isaac Smith ran around unchecked all night and set the game up for the Hawks...I can hear Richo going "yeah no, the outside run killed us"

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

ace wrote:This may upset a few.
I know it will upset the Stone with a Virus.

Give Jack Steven the ball at a centre bounce he put his head down and gives everything he has to break clear.
Give the ball to an opponent that opponent does the same.
Jack gives chase but the opponent waltzes away from him.
Jack has different top speeds when he has the ball and an opponent has the ball.
This is NOT Saints football.
Yeah he is fourth in the comp for disposals BUT
He is also an atrocious kick.
Poor disposal, poor chase.
He is not elite, he is not A grade, he is B grade.

Now try to howl me down.
The ones who would howl you down, are the ones in denial who believe in fairy dust n rainbows.
Everything is peachy, and Saints Footy is the magic key.

Saints Footy looks like hitting the post from 3m out, kicking on the full,
missing easy marks, kicking to an opponent-
all these things are done regularly.

Basket case club.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

100% agree with OP.
The phrase Saints Footy has now become, what so many of these empty cliches bandied about by corporations become, the opposite of its intention.
Saints Footy now means: Disorganized, poorly executed, overposessing, indirect and breathtakingly innacurate.

What can it possibly mean when a player says: we want to get back to playing Saints Footy....you and your teammates and the coaching staff ARE the Saints!

Dont play Saints footy, you ARE the Saints....play GOOD footy!

Nee!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

To be honest I cringed back in 09 when the players crapped on about 'saints footy'. Sounded like something the marketing department had told them to talk about. To hear the players these days talking about it is like a pre programmed robot who has come straight out of a team meeting and doesn't know what else to say. Saints footy. :roll:

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

ace wrote:
nw7 wrote:What the hell is Saints Footy, its embarrassing to hear the players talking about Saints Footy, Gilbert said it last night after the coin toss, "we just have to play Saints Footy" The brand of Saints Footy we are preaching is just crap.

I am glad my eyes, watching the TV, did not deceive me.
Gunston marked a couple of metres beyond the 50 metres arc, a sliding mark so maybe even further before deemed to have control of the mark.
He should have needed a kick over 60 metres with a tall jumping at the goal line.
He made the journey with ease because he was allowed to kick from much closer than the mark.
The commentators did not notice.
To me it shows an I don't care attitude, I am just going through the motions.
We need a Royal Commission to identify bad player attitude.
I noticed that, but wasn't that where the Umpire set the mark?

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Moods wrote:To be honest I cringed back in 09 when the players crapped on about 'saints footy'. Sounded like something the marketing department had told them to talk about. To hear the players these days talking about it is like a pre programmed robot who has come straight out of a team meeting and doesn't know what else to say. Saints footy. :roll:
hahaha... spot on.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

fugazi wrote:100% agree with OP.
The phrase Saints Footy has now become, what so many of these empty cliches bandied about by corporations become, the opposite of its intention.
Saints Footy now means: Disorganized, poorly executed, overposessing, indirect and breathtakingly innacurate.

What can it possibly mean when a player says: we want to get back to playing Saints Footy....you and your teammates and the coaching staff ARE the Saints!

Dont play Saints footy, you ARE the Saints....play GOOD footy!
Worked for an insurance company where the mantra is
"For the Better"
and it's blared out over all media, on the TV, the whole screen is a blazingly bright yellow, hurts the retinas,
with "For the Better" proudly displayed in the middle.
"For the Better" is chanted several times a day at work, like the Hail Mary or Our Father,
driving workers to maximise sucking money out of customers-
but in public, the mantra is supposed to demonstrate that the company is trying to make things
better for the members.

Fake cliche dreamt up by marketing department.
You should see the ladies in Marketing.
Covered in make-up, tottering around on ridiculous high heels,
all chatty and "bubbly",
they are middle-aged but with the mind of a teenager and the same attention span.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I know, Wellard.
A mate of mine showed me the Exxon Shipping companies Mission Statement, just after the oil disaster in Alaska..it read like something from the New Testament meets Tony Robbins at full tilt.
Ever since then I have been sensitized to those empty phrases.They invoke the shadow.
Just look at the average Cinema ad for banks or AMP for that matter... they look soooo holistic....until they screw you for every last cent.
Last edited by fugazi on Sun 29 Apr 2018 12:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nee!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Here is AMPs vision statement for instance
Vision Statement
To be the symbol of mortgage professional excellence in alignment with Mortgage Professionals vision and values.

Invest In Yourself. Invest In Your Career.

Nee!
St. Paul
Club Player

At least Gilbo kept his promise. We did play saints footy. As it currently stands. Poor kicking, haphazard style, basic errors and poor discipline. Saints footy was Ross Lyon's thing. It meant something. Now we're like those organisations with meaningless value statements on the walls. None of the employees know what's in them, much less adhere to them.

"For when I am powerless, then I am strong."