Sloppy journalism

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Sloppy journalism

Nothing new but more obvious
I must have blinked when Logan played his games
Or is this article being predictive buhttp://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/st ... 6d3865b8f7

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sloppy journalism

saintbrat wrote:Nothing new but more obvious
I must have blinked when Logan played his games
Or is this article being predictive buhttp://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/st ... 6d3865b8f7
That link doesn’t work

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Can you paste the article here - Bloody paywall stops google searches now!

Any tips for avoiding the paywall?

(I assume bratty you pay for it unlike most of us)

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Same story here I’m afraid Bratty

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

ST KILDA is headed for its leanest draft haul in almost a decade with only one selection inside the first three rounds of this year’s “super draft”.

The club has plummeted to its lowest point under coach Alan Richardson with only one win heading into Sunday’s Round 7 clash against Melbourne on Sunday.

AFL greats Garry Lyon and Wayne Carey both said Carlton, which fell to 0-6 for the first time in club history on Friday night, was closer to a premiership than St Kilda.

But the Saints won’t be able to load up with a major dose of fresh talent at this year’s draft with only one pick (currently No.3) inside the top 56 selections based on current ladder positions.

It is the first time since 2009 St Kilda will have only one pick inside the first three rounds of the draft.

St Kilda has already parted with its second and third-round selections for this year’s draft in last year’s exchange period in separate deals with Port Adelaide.
They nabbed 22-year-old key defender Logan Austin (two games this year) and pick No.35 last year (key defender Oscar Clavirino).

But this year’s draft is widely considered one of the strongest talent pools since 2001 when Luke Hodge, Luke Ball and Chris Judd were taken top-three.

The Saints have beeTop-tier midfield targets include West Coast’s Andrew Gaff and Adelaide star Rory Sloane (free agents) and Greater Western Sydney jet Dylan Shiel (trade).

Some clubs are convinced Shiel will finish his career back home in Victoria with Carlton strongly linked to the dazzling midfielder.

But Shiel, who is contracted to GWS until the end of next year, said his focus was on winning an inaugural flag with the Giants.
n widely condemned for their foot skills this season and are expected to go all-out in the free agency and trade market.

Coming from my side of things, I’ve still got a couple years left on the current contract, so I’m really enjoying my time up here,” Shiel said on SEN.

“I’m certainly focused on trying to achieve something up here in Sydney.”

The Saints haven’t played finals in six years and have the second-longest premiership drought in the game. They have also had some instability in the football department.

The club has cycled through three football managers - Chris Pelchen, Jamie Cox and Simon Lethlean - in the past four years.

Lyon said the Blues were better-placed and had more top-end young talent than St Kilda.

“I tried to identify who (St Kilda’s) best seven most influential players are,” Lyon said.

SLOPPY SAINTS

Player

2018 Kick Rating

Sam Gilbert -10.7%
Paddy McCartin -10.7%
Tom Hickey -8.8%
Blake Acres -8.3%
Tim Membrey -7.0%
Jack Steven -5.9%
Jade Gresham -4.7%
Brandon White -4.7%
Jack Newnes -3.3%
Jack Billings -1.7%

Kick rating takes into account how much pressure players are under and the intent of their kicks. The rating is how far above or below the AFL average players are for the kicks they have attempted. Source: Champion Data

“I keep getting back to Jack Steven, who’s probably their best player, Seb Ross, (Jake) Carlisle, (Blake) Acres, (Jack) Billings who’s hot and cold, (Dylan) Roberton, (Jarryn) Geary the captain.

“(But) the quality and the x-factor and the upside is with Carlton.”

Carey also said St Kilda lacks star power compared to Carlton.

“They (Blues) have got Patrick Cripps and they have got Charlie Curnow. They are two guys who you can build a club around. They are franchise players,” Carey said.

“Who is there at St Kilda, other than Jack Steven? I don’t know. They are in a worse position than the Blues.”

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

ST KILDA is headed for its leanest draft haul in almost a decade with only one selection inside the first three rounds of this year’s “super draft”.

The club has plummeted to its lowest point under coach Alan Richardson with only one win heading into Sunday’s Round 7 clash against Melbourne on Sunday.

AFL greats Garry Lyon and Wayne Carey both said Carlton, which fell to 0-6 for the first time in club history on Friday night, was closer to a premiership than St Kilda.

But the Saints won’t be able to load up with a major dose of fresh talent at this year’s draft with only one pick (currently No.3) inside the top 56 selections based on current ladder positions.

It is the first time since 2009 St Kilda will have only one pick inside the first three rounds of the draft.

St Kilda has already parted with its second and third-round selections for this year’s draft in last year’s exchange period in separate deals with Port Adelaide.
They nabbed 22-year-old key defender Logan Austin (two games this year) and pick No.35 last year (key defender Oscar Clavirino).

But this year’s draft is widely considered one of the strongest talent pools since 2001 when Luke Hodge, Luke Ball and Chris Judd were taken top-three.

The Saints have beeTop-tier midfield targets include West Coast’s Andrew Gaff and Adelaide star Rory Sloane (free agents) and Greater Western Sydney jet Dylan Shiel (trade).

Some clubs are convinced Shiel will finish his career back home in Victoria with Carlton strongly linked to the dazzling midfielder.

But Shiel, who is contracted to GWS until the end of next year, said his focus was on winning an inaugural flag with the Giants.
n widely condemned for their foot skills this season and are expected to go all-out in the free agency and trade market.

Coming from my side of things, I’ve still got a couple years left on the current contract, so I’m really enjoying my time up here,” Shiel said on SEN.

“I’m certainly focused on trying to achieve something up here in Sydney.”

The Saints haven’t played finals in six years and have the second-longest premiership drought in the game. They have also had some instability in the football department.

The club has cycled through three football managers - Chris Pelchen, Jamie Cox and Simon Lethlean - in the past four years.

Lyon said the Blues were better-placed and had more top-end young talent than St Kilda.

“I tried to identify who (St Kilda’s) best seven most influential players are,” Lyon said.

SLOPPY SAINTS

Player

2018 Kick Rating

Sam Gilbert -10.7%
Paddy McCartin -10.7%
Tom Hickey -8.8%
Blake Acres -8.3%
Tim Membrey -7.0%
Jack Steven -5.9%
Jade Gresham -4.7%
Brandon White -4.7%
Jack Newnes -3.3%
Jack Billings -1.7%

Kick rating takes into account how much pressure players are under and the intent of their kicks. The rating is how far above or below the AFL average players are for the kicks they have attempted. Source: Champion Data

“I keep getting back to Jack Steven, who’s probably their best player, Seb Ross, (Jake) Carlisle, (Blake) Acres, (Jack) Billings who’s hot and cold, (Dylan) Roberton, (Jarryn) Geary the captain.

“(But) the quality and the x-factor and the upside is with Carlton.”

Carey also said St Kilda lacks star power compared to Carlton.

“They (Blues) have got Patrick Cripps and they have got Charlie Curnow. They are two guys who you can build a club around. They are franchise players,” Carey said.

“Who is there at St Kilda, other than Jack Steven? I don’t know. They are in a worse position than the Blues.”

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

We don't need anymore kids! We have drafted a ton of them the past 6 years. The majority are looking good and they are coming along fine, especially after last year.

We need ready made players in the 23-30 age bracket that will make a difference! We might have to just forget the draft for a couple of years to achieve this.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Player 2018 Kick Rating

Sam Gilbert -10.7%
Paddy McCartin -10.7%
Tom Hickey -8.8%
Blake Acres -8.3%
Tim Membrey -7.0%
Jack Steven -5.9%
Jade Gresham -4.7%
Brandon White -4.7%
Jack Newnes -3.3%
Jack Billings -1.7%
I recently re-watched Round 14 of 2009, the game V the Cats when both teams were 13 wins and nil losses. It was one of our greatest victories. I was reminded just how good Sam Gilbert was in that match and in 2009 in general. His kicking was long and almost 100% accurate, his decision making was certain and positive and his defensive skills were very good. Alas, 2009 turned out to be an aberration rather than a breakout.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Sigh... Doesn’t look good does it. So much for a ‘destination’ club.

To the top
SS Life Member

And what do Carey and Lyon have in common?

And they are in the media!!

Carey played for North Melbourne who are a basket case

Lyon played for Melbourne who are a basket case and have been for a generation

Perhaps they could concentrate on their own back yards - which is not the history of these two

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Worth noting ....
This year, Newnes may be sloppy and down significantly on his usual disposal efficiency stat (the disposal efficiency stat also includes handballs), but he is not our worst kick, after all (in fact, nowhere near that) - according to the 2018 player kick rating. Acres, Jack Steven, Membrey, Gresham, Mc Cartin, Hickey and White need to improve their kicking a hell-of-a lot more than Newnes does - and we're letting them off the hook if we keep (unfairly) singling out Newnes.

Newnes was not a top draft pick - and he has outperformed, if anything.

Player 2018 Kick Rating

Paddy McCartin -10.7%
Tom Hickey -8.8%
Blake Acres -8.3%
Tim Membrey -7.0%
Jack Steven -5.9%
Jade Gresham -4.7%
Brandon White -4.7%
Jack Newnes -3.3%
Jack Billings -1.7%

St. Paul
Club Player

prwilkinson wrote:Sigh... Doesn’t look good does it? So much for a ‘destination’ club.
The last time we were a destination club was the eighties when we were a retirement home for Carlton discards. (to save us from another of pebbles' triumphant posts slagging the late, great, Drake, I looked it up on the internet. , or the interwebby thingy as pebbles knows it.)

"For when I am powerless, then I am strong."
saynta
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:And what do Carey and Lyon have in common?

And they are in the media!!

Carey played for North Melbourne who are a basket case

Lyon played for Melbourne who are a basket case and have been for a generation

Perhaps they could concentrate on their own back yards - which is not the history of these two
Both rooted their mate's wife.

happy feet
Club Player

More crap writing from the Herald Scum. This sham of a newspaper in reporting on the Ross Lyon scandal talks about the Former StKilda coach. For christsakes what does it have to do with us? He has not fee. With us for what 7 or 8 years?FFS.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Destination Club? Is that a reality show set in a Club Med. Players are very much influenced by money but it can be hard to get them to change tribes without other factors e.g. I want to live in Victoria; I look great in coloured panels.... If the price is right, the new tribe can offer a promising/exciting future program, there is a good clear role on offer and the coach is respected players can be attracted because there are finite salary caps elsewhere. What the Saints lack at the moment it seems is a path to the future now plan 2020 is buggered plus Richo is sadly fast losing credibility as a (tenured) coach and in any case can hardly sell "an exciting time is just upon us story" because as pointed out he is so Elliot Gobletish. Was a good choice when appointed, but there needs to be separation from the initial booster rockets for Space Ship Saints to get into orbit. I expect the booster rockets will run out of fuel this calendar year despite some nice wins, like on Sunday (please, of, please)