Interesting article

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Interesting article

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/com ... 4zcz5.html

"St Kilda chief executive Matt Finnis has described the Saints’ early season form as “completely unacceptable” but says his belief the club made the right call in re-signing coach Alan Richardson for a further two years has not wavered.

While conceding the Saints have not lived up to internal or external expectations, Finnis rejected suggestions the club needed an external party to conduct a football department review, arguing that the recent hiring of Simon Lethlean as football chief had brought a fresh pair of eyes, and that the former AFL executive had already shared preliminary views about the department with the club’s board.

There is plenty more and well worth the read.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Interesting article

I just read that and my BS meter went nuts
Is it just me or when I read Finnis statements I need to read them again and try and decide what it is he's actually saying?

"Do we think the club is going Sh!t? .... yes we do"
"Do we think the logic in extending an unproven coach for 2 without the need to do so was good business?.... yes we do"
"Do we now need to carefully manage (realistic) expectation angst after a 5 year rebuild....?.....yes we do"
"Do we now need an independent outside view on this debacle?......nah don't think so as we've got another ex AFL mate who just needed a gig after a public shaming..."

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

What's he going to say?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Well, I'm sorry but I don't agree with Finnis here. I think we do need an independent external review. And I think we need it before the mid-season bye. Our game plan is a joke, and our game playing style is absolutely bloomin' diabolical. We are boring to watch at present and people aren't going to watch us play.
Bureaucrats like Finnis and Lethlean need performance reviews, as do our coaches.

Having said all of that, I think our form will improve once we have gotten used to playing without Nick and Joey. It is the manner in which we play which worries me the most. It's boring and cr*p to watch.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Wed 02 May 2018 11:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
St. Paul
Club Player

I'm with you, Teflon. Mind boggling. Have to agree with SP. What else can he say when he is responsible for the mess? He is in self preservation mode. He should be the first to go in any review. He is playing pass the parcel, hoping it doesn't explode in his hands. Too late, Matt, it already has. We're screwed.

"For when I am powerless, then I am strong."
bigred
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Well, I'm sorry but I don't agree with Finnis here. I think we do need an independent external review. And I think we need it before the mid-season bye. Our game plan is a joke, and our game playing style is absolutely bloomin' diabolical. We are boring to watch at present and people aren't going to watch us play.
Bureaucrats like Finnis and Lethlean need performance reviews, as do our coaches.

Having said all of that, I think our form will improve once we have gotten used to playing without Nick and Joey. It is the manner in which we play which worries me the most. It's boring and cr*p to watch.
Yep. I reckon you are spot on.

If we go in with lets say... three or four wins OR LESS by the half way mark. Then something is just obscenely wrong and stinking up the place.
The fish rots at the head.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
oh when the
Club Player

After 1 flag in 145 years we need someone from outside to shake the tree from top to bottom.

kell
Club Player

oh when the wrote:After 1 flag in 145 years we need someone from outside to shake the tree from top to bottom.
Agree. This is a joke! You have lost me Matt!! If Simon L has undertaken a review, release the paper so the members have some insight. For the CEO to simply come out with a statement saying "this is unacceptable" is very very poor ! It is patently obvious he is simply trying to take the oxygen out of the criticism and shift the focus. "Matt ! we know its unacceptable!" Why is it so and what have you done about it !.....what are the future benchmarks and more importantly what is going to happen if YOU and the BOARD don't reach them.
Last edited by kell on Thu 03 May 2018 8:17am, edited 1 time in total.

kell
Club Player

PS The backhanded comment that the poor performance is effecting revenue is indicative of a chasm between the troops ( players and coaching staff) and the exec management and the Board. It ignores the fact that the poor financial performance and supposed inability to let go of the pokies impacts heavily on the culture and spirit of the club and is probably the reason we can't attract the likes of Kelly to the club no matter how much dough we throw at them !

kell
Club Player

PPS I think we are a red hot chance to beat the Dees this weekend. We need to get behind the players and the coaches!!

axcellence
Club Player

Haha... he’s completely on a different level if he thought the saints weren’t going to win less than last year.

Supporters do wear rose coloured glasses but these guys need to be on the ball.

I did see him speak once in person at length and he’s basically a barracker and just being a bit airy fairy.

Good luck guys...

The feeling I get from the club’s communications around directors is that it’s more about adding to the corporate head honchos CV than really speaking the truth and taking responsibility.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

kell wrote:PPS I think we are a red hot chance to beat the Dees this weekend. We need to get behind the players and the coaches!!
I'm with you there and it will start with big Hick.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

So what do people expect? That we spend money on an external review? F**k me, let's get David Gonski? What a tremendous wank of an idea.

Tell you what, if you're in a workplace that has such knee jerk reactions and is quick to call in the external consultants, get out now! Your employer has NFI and if they're going well its just a fluke that won't last.

Tell me, how many of you that are demanding some sort of external review are Managers who call in external consultants everytime you encounter a bump in the road or a challenge? If so, stop projecting your ineptitude.

Its Letlean's job to do such things that's what he's paid for and he's only been in the job 5 minutes!

Most of the angst exists because we haven't followed a precisely linear upward trajectory this year after doing so in all Richo's previous seasons. These things happen in the real world, but according to many we should go into utter panic mode over 6 weeks of footy!

Most external consultants, not all of them, are a parasitic waste of space.