Richo has lost the players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Re: Richo has lost the players

I recall hearing that story about Richo failing to tell a player he was delisted to his face. From memory it was Nick O’Kearney.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote:I recall hearing that story about Richo failing to tell a player he was delisted to his face. From memory it was Nick O’Kearney.

Probably right and in my opinion delisting him was a mistake.
A couple of others should have been shown the door before that kid.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

re the 'trust issue'

i reckon it was the 'incident' against Caaaaarlton last year

gotta back your crew in

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Absolutely not. They’re all in it together. And they all know what they have to do. It’s bleeding obvious. But for some unknown reason we’ve not been able to do it. But it ain’t lack of effort or desire.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Absolutely not. They’re all in it together. And they all know what they have to do. It’s bleeding obvious. But for some unknown reason we’ve not been able to do it. But it ain’t lack of effort or desire.
Well, hope it all comes together soon or we will have to start playing the kids and having a good look at the top two or three draft picks. :x

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

True and true to two previous posts.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote:
tony74 wrote:Absolutely not. They’re all in it together. And they all know what they have to do. It’s bleeding obvious. But for some unknown reason we’ve not been able to do it. But it ain’t lack of effort or desire.
Well, hope it all comes together soon or we will have to start playing the kids and having a good look at the top two or three draft picks. :x
100% agreed.

But I’m not stupid enough to not realise how poor our club looks to supporters and media and how poorly our team is playing. It really is crunch time ( but unfortunately that puts more and more pressure on the players and coaches and they really don’t need that at the moment- they’re unbelievably aware of the situation). May the footy Gods be on our side.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

monorail, monorail, monorail…

stonecold
SS Life Member

tony74 wrote:
saynta wrote:
100% agreed.

But I’m not stupid enough to not realise how poor our club looks to supporters and media and how poorly our team is playing. It really is crunch time ( but unfortunately that puts more and more pressure on the players and coaches and they really don’t need that at the moment- they’re unbelievably aware of the situation). May the footy Gods be on our side.
Take your point big T, however the players and coaches should be under pressure!!!!!

They should also be able to cope with that pressure, that's why they get paid good coin!!!!!

At the end of it all, if they don't improve and quickly, more supporters/members will jump off and the powers that be will need to act and quickly!!!!!

People who lay out their hard earned will not continue to put up with poor results, simple!!!!!

Can have all the excuses in the world, but it's actions/effort and performance we want to see!!!!!

St.Kilda FC, over to you!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
David-Lee
Club Player

Actually Tony it is a lack of effort, skill and desire.
The facts, those things in black and white tell the story, lack of second efforts, poor disposal, missed marks, pathetic 1% er efforts. There is a significant lack of effort and if you are telling me you honestly think they have a passionate desire to win (players and coach) you need urgent mental health treatment. I am not kidding. If you can not correctly process body language, behaviour and actions to the point you see passion, desire and effort from this group, you need help. I'm not being funny. I'm serious. Call someone now, dont drive or operate machinery, you can't properly perceive reality.

Now, if you are just trying to be a positive ballast to keep the negatives from sinking the forum, then say so, otherwise, seek assistance immediately.
Last edited by David-Lee on Mon 07 May 2018 3:43pm, edited 2 times in total.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
saynta wrote:
100% agreed.

So the appalling performances are not about the coaches and it's up to the footy gods....

I completely believe that the players are trying.....but being unable to execute is between the ears....they didn't suddenly become skilful enough to deliver top shelf footy for a few games last year and then just as suddenly lose those skills again......their mental state is clearly shot and they're not playing as a team......it's got nothing to do with the footy gods. That comment speaks only to how lost we are as a club. It's all about leadership and in our case, lack of it.

outside66
Club Player

I think one of the problems is that we've started to turn into party boys. I won't name names because that doesn't achieve anything (well in this environment anyway) but we've got one influential player who gets on the hard stuff almost every weekend - I've personally seen him ingest illicit substances at a nightspot. We've got another young gun who apparently isn't that interested in being a professional footballer and would prefer to hang with mates outside footy (not a bad thing) but their prerogative on the weekend is to also get on hard drugs (that's a bad thing). This is an AFL wide/social endemic yet it infuriates me to think that there are blokes wearing the Saints jumper who don't seem to give 2 stuffs about actually earning their lofty pay packages by making the 'sacrifices' required to be elite ala Rooey or a Dempster.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Maybe a nice trip to Perth might help them reset and clear their heads :shock:

I expect to win this week against a side with 2 players (Fyfe and Neale) - at a ground we have no history at - against a team coming off a trip away and a last quarter belting. :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

tony74 wrote:
saynta wrote:
100% agreed.

Richo looks tired and worn out in his email to the members.
He tries to put a politician's spin on things,
empty cliches, that a normal person can see as pure SPIN

'look, we're challenged, and we want to rise to the challenge' etc etc
Important to be publicly brave, but i can see by his demeanour that he's just lost
and confused, he really has no idea.
It's so obvious.
Keeps playing Gresh and Jack B even though they are stale.
Ross racked up 35 touches but most are rubbish so oppo coaches know he's no risk of being involved
in a scoring chain.
Drop Ross until he learns to look for a target and actually tries to get it there.
Sure he runs hard and puts in a massive effort, but the results are rubbish.

Stop playing Gilbo because he has no skill nor polish.
Give Skunk a spell.

Richo needs to stop being in denial.
No tweaking or minor changes, big changes are needed.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

blind freddy can see the problem and the solution.
stop losing, start winning!
if you can't, stop beating your head against a wall, and do something different.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
shrodes
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote:
tony74 wrote:
saynta wrote:
100% agreed.

Richo looks tired and worn out in his email to the members.
He tries to put a politician's spin on things,
empty cliches, that a normal person can see as pure SPIN

'look, we're challenged, and we want to rise to the challenge' etc etc
Important to be publicly brave, but i can see by his demeanour that he's just lost
and confused, he really has no idea.
It's so obvious.
Keeps playing Gresh and Jack B even though they are stale.
Ross racked up 35 touches but most are rubbish so oppo coaches know he's no risk of being involved
in a scoring chain.
Drop Ross until he learns to look for a target and actually tries to get it there.
Sure he runs hard and puts in a massive effort, but the results are rubbish.

Stop playing Gilbo because he has no skill nor polish.
Give Skunk a spell.

Richo needs to stop being in denial.
No tweaking or minor changes, big changes are needed.
I get the sentiment, but there's a very good chance that things go much much worse with dropping some of these players. Who do we have to fill in for them? Then when we drop them and lose by 150 points, the pressure is even higher on Richo and the team. I can understand why there can't be crazy wholesale changes to our team, and I can understand the frustration of supporters when those changes don't happen. It's a lose-lose situation really.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

David-Lee wrote:
The facts, those things in black and white tell the story, lack of second efforts, poor disposal, missed marks, pathetic 1% er efforts. There is a significant lack of effort and if you are telling me you honestly think they have a passionate desire to win (players and coach) you need urgent mental health treatment. I am not kidding. If you can not correctly process body language, behaviour and actions to the point you see passion, desire and effort from this group, you need help. I'm not being funny. I'm serious. Call someone now, dont drive or operate machinery, you can't properly perceive reality.

Now, if you are just trying to be a positive ballast to keep the negatives from sinking the forum, then say so, otherwise, seek assistance immediately.

It’s a lack of skill. Absolutely no lack of effort or desire.

kaos theory
Club Player

tony74 wrote:
David-Lee wrote:

ok, but why did their skills deteriorate so much compared to the skills they displayed over a number of games over the pervious few years?

Is it natural for players to lose their skills?

Saintly66
Club Player

Anyone got Twitter? Any chance of messaging Robbo and getting him to ask Richo tonight why a lack of younger players being blooded even if it’s for a few games? Ie: Rice, white

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

It's hard to believe Maddie's match was only 14 games ago.

gutiguti

Newnes has 4 tackles for the season, tell me again about where the level of acceptable effort is at?

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

tony74 wrote:
David-Lee wrote:

Hi Tony - thanks for your regular insights. However - I'd like to pose these 2 if I may: -

1. Newnes. 4 tackles in 7 games - https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/05/07/ ... -the-year/. He's actually a microcosm of our team. I watched him all day yesterday just trotting around the wing without any intensity whatsoever. It's abominable and embarassing. 4 tackles. That goes towards effort and desire. I might also add that he is so poor by foot these days that he's becoming Gilbert/Geary-esque.

2. If Richo came from a much vaunted background of development - how has he managed to unskill a team that had competent levels of skills not so long ago? I actually can't comprehend it. All I can think of is that his gameplan - or lack thereof - has likely paralysed the players into such confusion that they now regularly take the 3rd of 2 options. Failing that - what specifically was he good at developing? Surely it's not handball and foot skills as ours are at times D grade Ammos level.

Again - thanks for your regular posts - I do genuinely appreciate them but I'd like your insight on the above 2 questions.

Cheers

Go you red, black & white warriors
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote:

Here is a long, long away. That is the feeling I’m getting now, as I’m sure everyone is. All I can say as a person 10 hours flight away, listening to the media, is that St Kilda’s effort, on the whole, could not be faulted and it has been this way throughout the season. There have of course been isolated stories, Carlisle etc. So what the media are saying is that Ricoh is not to blame. Can I ask members here, is our plight similar to any other clubs in recent memory, and what, if anything, did they do to get themselves back?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I don't think they're in it together. There is a number of people who are more interested in their own stats, than working as a team. First quarter when the game is up for grabs, Hickey lays a tackle and restricts player and Gresh comes in a split second later and joins in to bring Demons player to ground. Ump gives a free kick which creates set shot for goal. Why did Gresh take the kick when it should have been Hickey?

Gresh had already missed a set shot which I think was our first behind for the game. If there was a choice it should have been Hickey? Hickey has proven time and time again that he is a reliable set shot from 30-40 out. Hickey was the Saints player that deserved the free because he was the guy to initially pin the Demons player.

How are they in it together when Gresh burns his teammates when they are in better positions and how are they in it together when Gresh pinches the footy off Hickey when he didn't deserve the kick? Gresh and other team members need to be switched on enough to realise who is on and who can finish. I saw Membrey working hard and thought he could have had a big day. The players including Gresh ignored his leads to our detriment. If some players think that using Grsh or Billings will help lift their confidence that is crap. Let them win their own footy, get onto the right spost to crumb, work hard at their game off the track or at Sandringham, and bloody well use the best option when going i50 and it'll lift the whole team.

How are they in it together when the coach has ignored the little traits of selfishness that had creeped into Gresh's game over the last 4 weeks? Why is Gresh untouchable? Why is Billings untouchable? Why has it taken 4 weeks of crap footy for the coaches to realise. I understand why Coff or Longy or White might be given consecutive games, but these guys need to perform or they need to go back to Sandringham

lewdogs
Club Player

Scollop wrote:
I don't think they're in it together. There is a number of people who are more interested in their own stats, than working as a team. First quarter when the game is up for grabs, Hickey lays a tackle and restricts player and Gresh comes in a split second later and joins in to bring Demons player to ground. Ump gives a free kick which creates set shot for goal. Why did Gresh take the kick when it should have been Hickey?

Gresh had already missed a set shot which I think was our first behind for the game. If there was a choice it should have been Hickey? Hickey has proven time and time again that he is a reliable set shot from 30-40 out. Hickey was the Saints player that deserved the free because he was the guy to initially pin the Demons player.

How are they in it together when Gresh burns his teammates when they are in better positions and how are they in it together when Gresh pinches the footy off Hickey when he didn't deserve the kick? Gresh and other team members need to be switched on enough to realise who is on and who can finish. I saw Membrey working hard and thought he could have had a big day. The players including Gresh ignored his leads to our detriment. If some players think that using Grsh or Billings will help lift their confidence that is crap. Let them win their own footy, get onto the right spost to crumb, work hard at their game off the track or at Sandringham, and bloody well use the best option when going i50 and it'll lift the whole team.

How are they in it together when the coach has ignored the little traits of selfishness that had creeped into Gresh's game over the last 4 weeks? Why is Gresh untouchable? Why is Billings untouchable? Why has it taken 4 weeks of crap footy for the coaches to realise. I understand why Coff or Longy or White might be given consecutive games, but these guys need to perform or they need to go back to Sandringham
To be fair, the umpire told Hickey to give the ball to Gresham. Not Gresham's fault at all.

He definitely burned Billings on one of the misses but realistically it was a running shot from 30m out that he just shouldn't have missed. I would have liked to see him give it though because Jack was calling for it, reckon he would have drilled it and maybe done his confidence the world of good.