When did we become so boring?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

freely
SS Hall of Fame

When did we become so boring?

I can take us being bad - we've been bad before but we were colourful bad! We were really bad! Now, we're bland. Barely-worth-watching bad.

I think it's to do with players (and this is competition-wide) no longer playing for the jumper, always having it in mind that eventually free-agency will come around and they'll be able to jump ship, team-hopping to reach a premiership. If the players only care about getting a premiership and we're a team that's only ever had one, well - we're just a stepping stone and that's how the current crew play for us. Like mercenaries who happen to be wearing the red, white and black today but tomorrow....

The only player I can think of that that doesn't apply to is Dunstan. He's the only one of our players that ever seems to be genuinely gutted after a loss. But I wouldn't say he was captain colourful either! If you weren't a saints fan, which one of players would you bother to come out and watch? What aspect of our "game-plan" would you tune in to get a glimpse of? I thought it might be Gresham. I seem to get a glimpse with Coffield.

It's sad when the main reason fans can give for supporting their team is that they've always supported them! but at the moment, what else is there?

stonecold
SS Life Member

Re: When did we become so boring?

When Ross Lyon started coaching, much of it was masked over by the fact we still had 'Star Factor'!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
asiu
Saintsational Legend

yep
that was my first thought as well

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Our away strip should be beige.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote:Our away strip should be beige.

Could be worse...... we could be Fulham... OR Crystal Palace! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
GSG
Club Player

freely wrote: - we're just a stepping stone and that's how the current crew play for us. Like mercenaries who happen to be wearing the red, white and black today but tomorrow....

But isn’t this a bit like the seventies and eighties. St Kilda being a poor club was the stepping stone for many good players. This is why Carlton has so many premierships, as they were able to buy the best players. Carlton, the cheque book club. Once the AFL was formed and the salary cap introduced, Carlton’s (and some others) the premiership run ended.

What I’m worried about is that we are now, again, in the same position. Perhaps not so much for financial reasons, but because we are now considered a basket case, losers with one premiership only and with a bleak future. Who would want to join this club, other than as a stepping stone.

I think this is very real worry.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

We are not a boring side, we are a side bereft of confidence (I suspect because of the goal kicking, which creates an all over the ground malaise). Football at the moment is not looking good in many games not just Saints

When we run and chase we look as good as any other team.

When Webster stepped an opponent in the first quarter and went straight up the middle that was fantastic. When the shot at goal is missed, heads drop and we look for the boundary next time.

fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Begs the question why Gresham and Billings are so often played forward when they can't kick straight for goal. There is an unhealthy dogmatic style to the coaching even with clear evidence it is not often appropriate, and that is a bore. It won't be boring to see how the coaching staff try to combat Fyfe and Sandilands. Prayer possibly won't cut it. Maybe Freo's coaching scandal might be a distraction - but I doubt it. What would GT do.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

We are poorer than other teams but we are not any more boring.
The game at the moment is an intensely dull affair a lot of the time.
Low scoring defensive football is flavor of the month.
People said in 2016 that the doggies were a great team to watch but that simply was not true they were awful to watch.
They played a game based around shutting down the opposition as the principal objective, defense before attack.
Richmond are the only side that play an attacking game and even their game plan is based around defense first.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:When Ross Lyon started coaching, much of it was masked over by the fact we still had 'Star Factor'!!!!!
Rubbish

Most 0f 2009 we played some of the best footy a st kilda side has played in my fifty years watching................

saint4life
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
stonecold wrote:When Ross Lyon started coaching, much of it was masked over by the fact we still had 'Star Factor'!!!!!
Rubbish

Most 0f 2009 we played some of the best footy a st kilda side has played in my fifty years watching................
2009 we did - but gee we played some ordinary footy in 2007-08. got better over 08 but very ugly.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
stonecold
SS Life Member

chook23 wrote:
Rubbish

As I stated, we had Star Factor to mask he's terrible style!!!!!

Fifty years watching and knowing very little, so sad really!!!!!

How many flags has Lyon's game plan won, Zero!!!!!

He has had the cattle to win flags, however it's commonly acknowledged in AFL circles that he's game style just doesn't hold up on the Big Dance Floor!!!!!

If your not sure, check he's GF record!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯