GTs weekly podcast

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

GTs weekly podcast

With Sam and Mike Sheehan. I love it, a breath of fresh air whether you agree with there opinion or not, totally unfiltered , it's great. GT says what he wants, Sam is Sam , and Mike Sheehan plays the balancing act as the AFL jizz jockey, most of the time.

This week's episode GT talked about how he held a meeting with butters and the board about his drug habit and how he needed to stop at the end of 03 as we were trying to change our image. Nothing was done. He went to Demetrio, who didnt want to know about it..

Bring back the Lockett era
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: GTs weekly podcast

jonesy wrote:With Sam and Mike Sheehan. I love it, a breath of fresh air whether you agree with there opinion or not, totally unfiltered , it's great. GT says what he wants, Sam is Sam , and Mike Sheehan plays the balancing act as the AFL jizz jockey, most of the time.

This week's episode GT talked about how he held a meeting with butters and the board about his drug habit and how he needed to stop at the end of 03 as we were trying to change our image. Nothing was done. He went to Demetrio, who didnt want to know about it..
The club made its BIGGEST boo-boo ever, when it dismissed Grant Thomas. Story ended! Lyon walked into a list ready to take the next step, assembled and coached by GT. I’m not sure that those 2009 / 2010 GF results would have been the same if GT had been senior coach. Lyon was roundly outsmarted by Bomber & Malthouse

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Joffa 5
Club Player

The problem was GT didn't have the match day skills, he was the developer/leader of men. He was often caught with no plan B. So I can't see him out-coaching Bomber or Malthouse. Had his ego let him accept this, he could have brought in the match day strategist to help him out and we would have won multiple flags. Ah, to dream! Right now I can't ever see us challenging for a flag again...

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I think our problem under him was our fitness staff, which was...him. went into all those finals series with a cooked list.

I remember my very first post on saintsational, was 06. I was becoming concerned about GTs lack of response to sides that pushed numbers back against us. This was maybe mid year. However I thought towards the end we started to improve on this. Then we went into that Melbourne Final and about half the side pulled there hamstring and Melbourne ran over us in completely unjust fashion . Few days later he was gone..

Bring back the Lockett era
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:I think our problem under him was our fitness staff, which was...him. went into all those finals series with a cooked list.

I remember my very first post on saintsational, was 06. I was becoming concerned about GTs lack of response to sides that pushed numbers back against us. This was maybe mid year. However I thought towards the end we started to improve on this. Then we went into that Melbourne Final and about half the side pulled there hamstring and Melbourne ran over us in completely unjust fashion . Few days later he was gone..
I don't remember much from the game (it was a terrible experience live) but we had a total of 3 disposals from the Clarke brothers so I'm guessing they both went down early and Hamill had 5 touches so he probably was injured as well. We were clearly slaughtered for run in the last quarter when we kicked 3.4 to their 5.7.

We were also missing Hayes, Maguire, Ackland and Blake from our best 22. That's our best midfielder, our CHB and our two best rucks out already. It was incredibly harsh to sack GT and I think there's every chance that it cost us a premiership. If we had have brought in Dave Misson to deal with our injury issues we would have been a different team in September than in '04, '05 and '06 when we were crippled by injury.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Joffa 5 wrote:The problem was GT didn't have the match day skills, he was the developer/leader of men. He was often caught with no plan B. So I can't see him out-coaching Bomber or Malthouse....
This was the spin from the club to justify their decision to sack Thommo. At the time immediately after the 2004 prelim and immediately after the 2005 prelim, most fans were not saying we got beaten because Roos was a better match bay coach or because Williams was a better match day coach.

GT was learning on the job, as did Mark Williams, Paul Roos, and as do most coaches. I've never heard of a bad coach who gets his team into consecutive prelims. There are some coaches who have done it through different strengths and whether it was Pagan or Jewell or Hafey, I've never heard of a club handing back their premiership because they thought their coach had limitations on match day.

In 2004 when GT got us to a pre-lim against the eventual premiers wasn't that in the tiniest bit based on any match day skills he had? In that particular match when we got so close (considering we had momentum, lost it due to Gehrig's 100th and the crowd invasion, regained our composure and went on to nearly snatch a win in the dying seconds) that also wasn't due to any skills with his coaching? I won't write a summary of 2005, but once again we played in a pre-lim against the eventual premiers for that year.

I don't care whether we get into finals with a great match day coach or a great developer/leader and I'm sure that most fans wouldn't be knocking a coach who leads his group into an opportunity to get so close.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:
jonesy wrote:With Sam and Mike Sheehan. I love it, a breath of fresh air whether you agree with there opinion or not, totally unfiltered , it's great. GT says what he wants, Sam is Sam , and Mike Sheehan plays the balancing act as the AFL jizz jockey, most of the time.

The club made its BIGGEST boo-boo ever, when it dismissed Grant Thomas. Story ended! Lyon walked into a list ready to take the next step, assembled and coached by GT. I’m not sure that those 2009 / 2010 GF results would have been the same if GT had been senior coach. Lyon was roundly outsmarted by Bomber & Malthouse
Well for starters, Grant wouldn't have played Zac Dawson who had been on a drip all night in preference to Maxie Hudghton.

Then he wouldn't have left Ball on the bench for the entire final quarter, then claim he forgot about him.

As a result Ball would have been playing for us and not the filth in 2010 and Maxie would not have been plotting against us with said filth.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

If my memory serves me correctly, Collingwood were going to give us Sidebottom and Brown for Ball and draft picks once he wanted to leave but Lyon stuffed the trade up with his arrogance. We let Ball leave for a quarter chicken and chips plus a can of coke in the end.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:If my memory serves me correctly, Collingwood were going to give us Sidebottom and Brown for Ball and draft picks once he wanted to leave but Lyon stuffed the trade up with his arrogance. We let Ball leave for a quarter chicken and chips plus a can of coke in the end.
No, they weren't. There's no way they would have wanted to trade Sidebottom. I think it was Goldsack and maybe Wellingham in the mix.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

No, maybe one of Sharrod Wellingham or Tyson Goldsack.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:

Sorry jig but totally disagree with this post. GT couldn't ever make a grand final, which with as some believe a more talented lists

Lyon progressed the next phase of that list, and took us from pretenders (3rd / 4th best team) to legitimately he 1st / 2nd best team.

GT was great for the culture, great for the rebuild - but tactically, not even fit to tie Lyon's shoelaces.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:If my memory serves me correctly, Collingwood were going to give us Sidebottom and Brown for Ball and draft picks once he wanted to leave but Lyon stuffed the trade up with his arrogance. We let Ball leave for a quarter chicken and chips plus a can of coke in the end.
Yep, Sidebottom, Pendlebury, pick's 4 and 7 AND their future first rounder, which we'd already planned to swap for Chris Judd! Bloody Lyon.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Yep, Sidebottom, Pendlebury, pick's 4 and 7 AND their future first rounder, which we'd already planned to swap for Chris Judd! Bloody Lyon.
WTF? There's no bloody way they were ever going to trade either Pendlebury or Sidebottom. Where did you hear this?

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Well and anyway. We got nothing for Ball in the end. What a waste when Collingwood were willing to give up players. All history now I suppose.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
asiu
Saintsational Legend

he's taking the piss

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:

Sadly, we had a cocaine addicted alcoholic madman as president who called the shots. It's crazy that the rest of the board listened to him and went for it. The players were deeply upset by the decision. In hindsight, I almost wished they had protested more and possibly even threatened to strike. It was one of the most undemocratic dismissals of a coach.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote:he's taking the piss
I rolled wild rumour in with an unlikely trade, picks from a club not yet formed, a precursor to the future picks system and an ironic tinge of retrospective Superdraft regret...and I still got one! Pure genius I tells ya!!!

spert
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:

Sorry jig but totally disagree with this post. GT couldn't ever make a grand final, which with as some believe a more talented lists

Lyon progressed the next phase of that list, and took us from pretenders (3rd / 4th best team) to legitimately he 1st / 2nd best team.

GT was great for the culture, great for the rebuild - but tactically, not even fit to tie Lyon's shoelaces.
Lyon was a one-trick pony, and unless all the players played reasonably well, then his game fell to bits. Sadly too many choked in the 2010 replay.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Lyon was a one-trick pony, and unless all the players played reasonably well, then his game fell to bits. Sadly too many choked in the 2010 replay.
And proven by his Grand Finals record at more than one club

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I find all the recent calls to bring back GT compelling.

I still have a lot of mixed feelings about GT as a game-day coach and I think having him back in the coaches box now will be a little foolhardy. He hasn't been there since 2006 and the game has evolved a lot since then. I think it would smack of us desperately trying to cling onto a part of our past that had previously worked well.

I do think, however, that he was a terrific motivator and clearly got young players to get the most our of their raw talent, so I think having back as a skills coach, or something similar may have a lot of benefits. I agree with most, our list still has a lot more talent then they're bringing match day and I think a fierce motivator like GT could really up their confidence and flesh this out.

As to whether GT would be interested in returning to Moorabbin in a role like this? Well, I don't know...

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
Spinner wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:

Lyon was a one-trick pony, and unless all the players played reasonably well, then his game fell to bits. Sadly too many choked in the 2010 replay.
Yep . Choked. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: ..Nothing whatsoever to do with the abnormally raised testosterone levels of each and every filth player tested after the grand`final replay. :x :x :x :x

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
IIRC they offered Wellingham to NM for their pick (early 20's) which apparently we would have been prepared to accept for Ball (but we didn't apparently want Wellingham).
They offered us (I believe) Goldsack as a direct swap for Ball (who we also didn't want).
BUT, IMHO, we were always going to get 'screwed' once Ball decided he was going to go to Collingwood. We were never going to get a 'fair shake' because of the machinations of Paul Connors who represented both Ball and Darren jolly.
The original deal was Ball for Collingwood's first round pick but that pick was then given to Sydney for Jolley (Connors other client). Once the Jolly deal was done Connors, and his client Ball, were always going to screw us over to get to their desired outcome.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Mr Magic wrote:
degruch wrote:
IIRC they offered Wellingham to NM for their pick (early 20's) which apparently we would have been prepared to accept for Ball (but we didn't apparently want Wellingham).
They offered us (I believe) Goldsack as a direct swap for Ball (who we also didn't want).
BUT, IMHO, we were always going to get 'screwed' once Ball decided he was going to go to Collingwood. We were never going to get a 'fair shake' because of the machinations of Paul Connors who represented both Ball and Darren jolly.
The original deal was Ball for Collingwood's first round pick but that pick was then given to Sydney for Jolley (Connors other client). Once the Jolly deal was done Connors, and his client Ball, were always going to screw us over to get to their desired outcome.
Fair enough the club didn't want Wellingham. One of the most over-rated fringe players in the league during the Pies premiership year. As to how he became worth a first-round pick to the Eagles is anyone's guess.

Goldsack, dumb move by Lyon IMO. It may not have been perfect, but with Max retiring and Dawson struggling, Goldsack was at least the type of player we needed. In then, got nothing and we looked like the fools.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
degruch wrote:

Exactly right on the money.

And how dare Ross Lyon refuse to trade to Collingwood, a likely top 4 competitor in 2010.

Lyon did our team the best of favours. Roll the dice and not accept a measly pick 30 for ball and rather let ball roll into another club not a direct threat. But others on here wouldn't have that foresight.

In the end, RL was validated in some capacity. Sadly.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

:roll:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.