VFL Player Review

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

VFL Player Review

Surely Rice and Freeman are close to debuts. Austin shut down Brown and White had a decent game also. Same with Patton and Battle.

Sammy’s VFL Review: Round 6
Brandon White 21 disposals, 17 kicks, 4 handballs, three marks

White defended strongly. He held the fort really well all afternoon, defended when he had to and was good with ball in hand.

Bailey Rice 30 disposals, 17 kicks, 13 handballs, three marks, one tackle

Rice has found some good, consistent form, collecting over 25 possessions for the second week in a row. His defensive nouse was excellent – when to support his teammates and when to defend his man – but it was his ball use and decision-making that stood out.

Logan Austin 14 disposals, nine kicks, five handballs, six marks, one tackle

Austin competed strongly, playing on the AFL-listed Mitch Brown and keeping him to just 10 possessions. He didn’t look out of his depth, was aggressive on Brown to keep him scoreless, and supported his teammates when the opportunity presented.

Oscar Clavarino 11 disposals, three kicks, eight handballs, two tackles

Clavarino is developing nicely at Sandringham. His starting point, as well as his ability to come off and provide air support or influence the contest, is one of his real strengths, and can be a real weapon for the side.

Nathan Freeman 28 disposals, 11 kicks, 17 handballs, two tackles

Freeman saw a lot of the ball and performed well, but he needs to get some more mileage into his legs to run games out strongly.

Josh Battle (2.4) 15 disposals, 10 kicks, five handballs, three marks, one tackle

Battle booted two in the first quarter, but he was well-held from then and his influence was diminished.

Ben Paton 22 disposals, 13 kicks, nine handballs, four marks, five tackles

Jack Lonie (0.1) 20 disposals, 15 kicks, five handballs, three marks, six tackles

Daniel McKenzie 14 disposals, 10 kicks, four handballs, two marks, four tackles

Darragh Joyce 13 disposals, seven kicks, six handballs, two marks, three tackles

Hugh Goddard Six disposals, four kicks, two handballs, two marks, five tackles

Barclay Miller Six disposals, three kicks, three handballs, one mark, two tackles

Billy Longer Five disposals, one kick, four handballs, one mark, five tackles

Ray Connellan (1.0) Four disposals, three kicks, one handball, one mark,

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Re: VFL Player Review

Rice, Battle and White would be the three I’d be trying to get into the side. Maybe play Savage across half forward and let Webster and White be the attacking defenders. Who comes out? Newnes, Carlisle (inj.), maybe... Armitage.. the guy had 8 touches. Clark and Coffield both had reasonable games... just keep playing them, they’ll keep getting better and better.

If Geary wasn’t Captain I’d probably have him out of the side. Let RIce try and play his role. I dunno... A lot of youngsters but we’re not winning anyway sooo...

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Rice, Battle and White would be the three I’d be trying to get into the side. Maybe play Savage across half forward and let Webster and White be the attacking defenders. Who comes out? Newnes, Carlisle (inj.), maybe... Armitage.. the guy had 8 touches. Clark and Coffield both had reasonable games... just keep playing them, they’ll keep getting better and better.

If Geary wasn’t Captain I’d probably have him out of the side. Let RIce try and play his role. I dunno... A lot of youngsters but we’re not winning anyway sooo...

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Why Battle? It looks to me as if Sammy's listed these contributors in this order for a reason - he's got Freezer above Battle and says quite clearly that he's not ready.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Good and bad news there.
Good news that Rice and White are getting better, a fair bit better from the sound of things. Bad news is that our backs are the least of our problems and knowing Richo he will probably pick them and play them out of position.
Sounds like Battle got more attention after the first quarter. Possibly a better defender or his defender pulled his finger out. Either way good not great is positive.
Sounds like Freezer is coming a long nicely but the worst thing we could do would be to rush him. I had the view that he will never play for us after his first 2 years so it would be a nice surprise if he ever did. Happy to be proven wrong

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

DJ Higgins wrote:Good and bad news there.
Good news that Rice and White are getting better, a fair bit better from the sound of things. Bad news is that our backs are the least of our problems and knowing Richo he will probably pick them and play them out of position.
Sounds like Battle got more attention after the first quarter. Possibly a better defender or his defender pulled his finger out. Either way good not great is positive.
Sounds like Freezer is coming a long nicely but the worst thing we could do would be to rush him. I had the view that he will never play for us after his first 2 years so it would be a nice surprise if he ever did. Happy to be proven wrong
Battle constantly gets outnumbered because there’s no real support around him.

To the top
SS Life Member

These are the threads I look for on here - particularly when away.

The question I would ask is why is Geary safe because he is Captain?

When we were really pressuring last weekend, Geary got the ball in hand for one of the few times and instead of a run in goal for us it went the other way because he turned it over under no pressure.

On that basis alone, the comments re Rice with the ball in hand says Rice for Geary.

stonecold
SS Life Member

To the top wrote:These are the threads I look for on here - particularly when away.

When we were really pressuring last weekend, Geary got the ball in hand for one of the few times and instead of a run in goal for us it went the other way because he turned it over under no pressure.

On that basis alone, the comments re Rice with the ball in hand says Rice for Geary.
Stop bashing the Captain, typical posting of you, highlight one mistake to enhance your argument!!!!!

Just curiosity, how many options did Geary have going forward on that particular play?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

stonecold wrote:
To the top wrote:These are the threads I look for on here - particularly when away.

Stop bashing the Captain, typical posting of you, highlight one mistake to enhance your argument!!!!!

Just curiosity, how many options did Geary have going forward on that particular play?????
It was a simple kick under no pressure. Another question could be asked, how often does his kicking let the team down?

portosaint
Club Player

stonecold wrote:

Really?

C'mon... That was a horrid turnover from the captain and should be called out. He actually couldn't have made it easier for them if he tried. Now, if it was a one off, its just a silly mistake. But every week gets tiring

stonecold
SS Life Member

portosaint wrote:
stonecold wrote:

Really?

C'mon... That was a horrid turnover from the captain and should be called out. He actually couldn't have made it easier for them if he tried. Now, if it was a one off, its just a silly mistake. But every week gets tiring
Just curious, who is your favorite current Saint and whom in your humble opinion should be skipper?????

Winmar
Club Player

It's interesting and disappointing that the likes of McKenzie, Goddard and Longer still aren't showing enough to be pushing for selection. If I was in charge I'd be pushing to get more games into White though. He often looks very useful. Even if Freeman is fit he might as well have more games for Sandy to get his aerobic fitness closer to what will be required at AFL level. It's a big step up.

portosaint
Club Player

stonecold wrote:
portosaint wrote:
stonecold wrote:

Really?

Just curious, who is your favorite current Saint and whom in your humble opinion should be skipper?????
Nothing to do with who I like and what I think. The "skipper" should not be exempt of criticism because he is the skipper. In my humble opinion.

stonecold
SS Life Member

OK, your choice not to answer a question or two, no pressure!!!!! ;)

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

prwilkinson wrote: Tue 15 May 2018 3:53pm
stonecold wrote:

It was a simple kick under no pressure. Another question could be asked, how often does his kicking let the team down?
FYI this year Geary is going at around 79% disposal efficiency, way above the team average and he actually ranked 117 in the entire comp for DE

But hey let’s keep trotting out the tired old lines around his kicking. This year he has made plenty of great passes by hand and foot when under pressure. He is not the problem

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights