Saint’s indigenous players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Junior
Club Player

Re: Saint’s indigenous players

BringBackMadDog wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 1:16am
The_Dud wrote: Sat 02 Jun 2018 11:13pm I think in the paper the other day they had our top 3 indigenous players in our history being Winmar, X Clarke and R Clarke! :shock:
Yep I saw that, obviously never heard of Robert Muir or Gilbert McAdam
Would have thought it was Winmar, McAdam and then a huge gap to the rest.

McAdam was a wonderful player to watch just so smooth.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Junior wrote: Wed 06 Jun 2018 8:01pm
The_Dud wrote: Sat 02 Jun 2018 11:13pm I think in the paper the other day they had our top 3 indigenous players in our history being Winmar, X Clarke and R Clarke! :shock:

Robbie Muir was one of the most gifted footballers to ever put on a saints jumper, his skills were sublime and he was also one of the best tacklers I have ever seen. If he played in an era where racist taunts weren't considered fair game on a footy field he would've gone down as one of the games greats. Unfortunately his temper and his inability to turn the other cheek got the better of him.

chico2001
Club Player

Playing the racist card junior....real shitman's act and entirely predictable. Have you contacted the club yet? and what about one of the aboriginals who played with Gwilt....contacted one of them yet? Or Contact Gilbert mcadam, he'd probably knock your block off if he got hold of you......

Junior
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Wed 06 Jun 2018 8:47pm Playing the racist card junior....real shitman's act and entirely predictable. Have you contacted the club yet? and what about one of the aboriginals who played with Gwilt....contacted one of them yet? Or Contact Gilbert mcadam, he'd probably knock your block off if he got hold of you......
Like wow, you really are a delusional racist pig.

No need to call anyone, you raised colour not me.

Gwilt is not indegenous, end of story.

As for Gilbert, had the pleasure of spending time in his company reckon he would shake my hand rather than thump me.

Junior
Club Player

BringBackMadDog wrote: Wed 06 Jun 2018 8:41pm
Junior wrote: Wed 06 Jun 2018 8:01pm

Robbie Muir was one of the most gifted footballers to ever put on a saints jumper, his skills were sublime and he was also one of the best tacklers I have ever seen. If he played in an era where racist taunts weren't considered fair game on a footy field he would've gone down as one of the games greats. Unfortunately his temper and his inability to turn the other cheek got the better of him.

Remember watching Muir I think in 1984 he was certainly
all of what you said.

Sad that he played in the era he did.

St Plugger
Club Player

Robbie Muir was something to watch. He had every right to "go off" with the sh!t he was given. Sadly he was always described as being the transgressor in the public/medias eye at the time. St Kilda has little "respect" in the comp so he was"colored" as a firebrand and driven out of the VFL, at a time when other clubs had many thugs playing for them!

Winmar7
Club Player

Gresh and Ben Long will surely displace the Clarke bros and then the list will be more impressive, though G McAdam could be upset to be missing from that list!

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

By talent it's Winmar, Gilby, Muir, and X Clarke for mine. Never forget the day Gilby told me he was heading to the Saints - almost threw away a chance of a career like Greg, wandering between alice, darwin and perth, but bit the bullet and walked into Central Districts, asked for a chance and became a star. Didn't play too many with us, but it's big, noisy, and cold in Melbourne.
A lot of very good footballers in his generation from the NT - we won a couple of national championships at u/12 and u/15 level with that group. Not many of them could handle heading south but most of them had the talent.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
chico2001
Club Player

Winmar, X.clarke and Muir in that order

Viking3
Club Player

I actually sent an email to Jon Anderson with those two names. He even replied!!
Mine
"Good afternoon Jon,

I have just been reading your article in today's Herald Sun, ranking the 3 best Indigenous players at each club.

Being a Saints supporter I was interested with your selections at 2 and 3, the Clarke brothers.

Whilst I understand that this is totally subjective, I can't see the Clarke's being better then Robert Muir and Gilbert McAdam.
I think they would be well behind them both.

I know Robbie was a hot head but his skills were sublime and he was also very good overhead."

Response
"Afternoon Erick. I think you make some good points and must admit if I could revise one club, it would be the Saints, best wishes, Jon"

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
one point
Club Player

Phil Narkle would probably come in at 4 or 5 on talent. Line ball with Xavier Clarke I think.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Viking3 wrote: Thu 07 Jun 2018 1:08pm
I actually sent an email to Jon Anderson with those two names. He even replied!!
Mine
"Good afternoon Jon,

I have just been reading your article in today's Herald Sun, ranking the 3 best Indigenous players at each club.

Being a Saints supporter I was interested with your selections at 2 and 3, the Clarke brothers.

Whilst I understand that this is totally subjective, I can't see the Clarke's being better then Robert Muir and Gilbert McAdam.
I think they would be well behind them both.

I know Robbie was a hot head but his skills were sublime and he was also very good overhead."

Response
"Afternoon Erick. I think you make some good points and must admit if I could revise one club, it would be the Saints, best wishes, Jon"

Top ten.
I would rank themin this order:

1. Cuz
2. Muir
3. G McAdam
4. X Clarke
5. R Jeffries
6. R Clarke
7. P Narkle
8. J Krakourer ( 0nly 13 games)
9. B Jones
10. D Kickett

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Where does Greg McAdam rate? I'd have him in your top ten and I'd have Gilly at number 2 :)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 07 Jun 2018 2:38pm Where does Greg McAdam rate? I'd have him in your top ten and I'd have Gilly at number 2 :)
Great player Greg, but he only played 10 games.

I know I included Jimmy K with a similar low number of games, but he had a stellar career before coming to the saints

Gilbert no where near the footballer Robbie was. Love Gilbert all the same, but I would include Robbie in my all times great saints sides.

Gilbert doesn't make it.