VFL Rd 10 Sandringham Vs Frankston

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stonecold
SS Life Member

Re: VFL Rd 10 Sandringham Vs Frankston

To the top wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 5:48pm The quality of the Opposition puts matters into perspective.

Bruce got some game time

Billings found the ball

Freeman got thru another game and got some touches

Does that sum it up?

Perhaps we could get another "Billy" (Stanlake) to change sports, geesh he is tall!!

Must be near 7 foot

And quick.
You at the game today, were you?????

Stanlake is a jet, because he's name is Billy, comes with the name!!!!! ;)

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 7:15pm
St Chris wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 5:48pm
parkeysainter wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 5:27pm
saynta wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 5:26pm Goal to Billings. 3 for the day so far,
How many touches?
Finished with 53
Yep, brilliant game, the boy can play.

It is always above the ears.

Sammy for coach for mine.
Well, if Sammy were coach it would bring in Warne and his big Indian investors.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Billings needs at least 2 good games in the VFL before he is seriously considered for senior selection

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
stonecold
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 7:33pm Billings needs at least 2 good games in the VFL before he is seriously considered for senior selection
Not with the way he played today, straight back in, normally I'd agree, just not on this one!!!!!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 6:21pm
BringBackMadDog wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 6:11pm
saintbob wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 6:04pm [quo]

Oh so he played on the wing! Take note Richo, that's where he should play for the seniors next week! Stop burying and wasting him deep forward. He is sheer class, let him breathe.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 6:21pm
BringBackMadDog wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 6:11pm
saintbob wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 6:04pm [quo]

Oh so he played on the wing! Take note Richo, that's where he should play for the seniors next week! Stop burying and wasting him deep forward. He is sheer class, let him breathe.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Don’t expect any lateral thinking by the current powers that be. They are very one-dimensional in their thinking.

DWOODROW
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 7:49pm

Don’t expect any lateral thinking by the current powers that be. They are very one-dimensional in their thinking.
Maybe they could do something out of the ordinary and play Armo in the middle to instead of the worst forward line in the competition. Maybe just maybe with billings on the wing and Armo as a mid St Kilda might be a little more competitive.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 7:37pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 7:33pm Billings needs at least 2 good games in the VFL before he is seriously considered for senior selection
Not with the way he played today, straight back in, normally I'd agree, just not on this one!!!!!
Soft!!!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Hi everyone, just got back from the game... report as follows

Now as many have noted, this was a walk in the park for Sandy so it’s hard to take too much away from it but there were a few nuggets (IMO) of gold.

First of all, I’ll start with the Sandringham experience...

It is hard to fathom that Sandringham and St.Kilda are aligned or have cross overs regarding players because they are absolutely nothing alike.
I don’t know if it’s coaching or not but Sandringham to me looked like a completely different outfit...

if in a marking contest that they’re not going to win, any Zebra looks to bring the ball down to a teammate positioned in front of them. When under pressure in a contest the players kick the ball without looking forward to a designated spot where a tall has run to provide a contest.
The Sandy players get numbers around the ball, run through the line and decisively kick it to their forwards. And when players take marks in the forward 50, their instinct is to go back and drill it and they look completely self-assured.

All in all I’m going to say don’t but fooled by the board... set shots were accurate... kicking for goal in general play was significantly less accurate

I don’t know if this is directly related to Aaron Hamil or was more a case of an easy game, but it looked to me like Hamil has imparted his influence on the team... tough at the contest, follow team rules and adhere to structure.
Was super impressed.

With regards to Sandy... there was a real emphasis of inclusion/acceptance with the rainbow 50m arc and goal padding, the announcement at the ground and unfortunately the numbers on the players backs were rainbow which made them very difficult to read... I liked everything but the latter.

As a result I struggled a little bit with identifying some players (was reliant on the numbers) but here I go.

David Armitage - clearly a class above. Won the ball all day, hit everyone hard and often his opponents just bounced off him. He’s Dustin Martin at this level... and whilst there was a lot to like, he failed to do anything that indicated he was demanding his spot back.
Guys like Milne, Ball, Dal, even Ralph made it impossible to overlook them when dropped because they demonstrated they were too good and above the VFL, Armo was bigger and stronger but he lacked any type of brilliance... no pin point kicking, no bags of goals, no 45 possessions.
Sorry to say but I leave the line through him.

Billy Longer... was eagerly awaiting Pierce vs Longer but the former didn’t play from what I can tell.
Now this may be harsh but I didn’t like Billy’s game. Let’s be clear... as a tap ruckman he was a class above everyone else. He DOMINATED the taps, lots to advantage. Everyone else was second rate.
However that was it... Billy DOES NOT WORK EVEN REMOTELY HARD ENOUGH. He doesn’t get to contests, lay tackles, take marks... wasn’t impressed with his shepherding or bollocking. He doesn’t drop back that much, doesn’t chase hard... From the tap, the only way he gets involved is if we kick it to him in a contest and in that sense he will bring the ball to ground but that’s it.
I don’t know what the answer to our ruck situation is.

Rowan Marshall: definitely my preferred ruck. He had a rough’ish day for skills, made a few basic errors e.g. dropped marks, kicked to the man on the mark at one point but he worked hard all over the ground, took marks, tackled, spoiled, presented all day. Whilst not as dominant in the centre as Billy, liked his game a lot more... the kid has presence and IMO should play regularly for us as the main ruck ahead of both Billy and Hickey. Clearly the best prospect... has this way of influencing contests to our favour.

Josh Bruce: clearly a grade above this level. His first touch was a contested mark that he passed accurately to a team mate for a goal and he kicked his first from a strong mark a few minutes later. He looked dangerous everytime he was near the ball... he’d look like he’d either take the mark or hurt the sucker that got in his way.
My impression was he got a bit tired in the middle there but a very encouraging return.

Jack Billings: what’s to say... he played the game at this level that we want him to play at AFL. Ran all day, kicked goals, heaps of possessions, spread etc. that being said, it was the goals that made his game standout... if it was the same game with 3 less kicks and no goals he doesn’t standout.
I’d give him another week.

Ray Connellan: why has this kid not played yet? Loved him. He is a jet, gets the ball, runs it down the line and kicks it long an accurately. Is exactly what we need in the seniors at the moment.
Super impressed with his game. Thought he was close to our most damaging player. Has after-burners on and very confident and skilled. Kicked a couple of goals too.

Hugh Goddard: He was my surprise packet... now people will say how much defending could he have done against a team that kicked 3 goals but he’s the reason why they only kicked three goals... he gave 5cm and 5kg to his opponent but wore him like a glove, always brought the ball to ground and often left his opponent to help a team mate spoil. Was super impressed with him.
If you watch Hugh, he looks a little manic... when the opposition have the ball forward of centre he is extremely restless and is watching everything trying to figure out where the play is going. He needs a bit of size but IMO, I reckon he could be our next FB after Brown. He doesn’t get much ball and won’t provide run... but he is switched on, blocks, is very team orientated and could from up a guy like Logan Austin to be more of a tall runner.
Def my surprise

Nathan Freeman: my disappointment of the day. My wife and I made a conscious effort to watch him all day... he started at halfback and struggled to get in the play and to be honest, half way through the third we thought he was off injured. I was shocked to find he had 20 touches.
This might just be me because he played HBF in the second to the opposite end of the ground where he was harder to spot and I think he must have switched to HFF after half time and stayed there. He didn’t seem to spend much time in the middle, certainly didn’t provide much drive or get to many contests. I saw him miss a goal in the third he should have kicked and give away a free kick by getting late to a contest. Was really hoping to see a player a cut above the rest here but really struggled to notice him.
Again though... must really emphasise that he may have just spent the majority of the game on the other side of the ground.

Amongst the rest
Nathan Wright wasn’t much chop. Didn’t do anything to even remotely suggest a call back
Oscar Clavarino: got better as the game went on. Quiet in the first half but took a few marks in the second half
Darragh Joyce: liked his game. Good defender, runs well, decent disposal, took a few marks. Beat his opponent all day
Doulton Langlands: actually quite liked the look of this kid too. Was zippy across HB all day... got a bit of ball, ran hard, decent disposal. Watch this space in my opinion. Not afraid to take the game on which I liked.
Brandon White: prominent early and looked damaging... kind of faded after that. Was a player I found a little hard to make out.

Didn’t really notice Paton or Miller

Don’t think Minch played... If he did he was quiet

For Sandy... I really liked #20 Christian Carnovale (according to the record)... not listed on the website though... was an absolute livewire... tough, good skills, was involved in everything and ran all day. Rookie him for sure.
Tom Lamb is decent and this Seccull guy I’ve heard so much about is good too but I didn’t see anything to suggest that either could play at the next level.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

He got it 53 times and had 5 scoring shots from the wing. He's a gun, straight back.

George27
Club Player

Much appreciated, Skeptic.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:14pm
He got it 53 times and had 5 scoring shots from the wing. He's a gun, straight back.
One more game.

I’m sticking to my guns.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Billings, Armo, Freezer and Seccull had great Games as did Billy. Wright and Connellan kicked some great goals.

Bruce faded as was to be expected but kicked four goals. Dropped some vital marks.Needed the run though.

Marshal okay but gets caught far to often.

Joyce and Goddard was great in defence.

White hurt his knee and didn't appear again after half time.

Lamb was servicable.

Paton had a quiet game but langlands is as quick as.

Billings Armo and Freezer too good at VFL level.

At least two of them to be promoted this week.

Side better coached than the seniors.

Still, they miss some easy goals.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:29pm
One more game.

I’m sticking to my guns.
No, he is a certainty to return for GWS game.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

VFL Rd 10 Sandringham Vs Frankston

Great report Skeptic; thanks to all
for the comments and updates, esp Saynta. And good to hear JB and Baroose both on the way back (albeit from different starting points!)

Always loyal
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:37pm Hi everyone, just got back from the game... report as follows

Now as many have noted, this was a walk in the park for Sandy so it’s hard to take too much away from it but there were a few nuggets (IMO) of gold.

It is hard to fathom that Sandringham and St.Kilda are aligned or have cross overs regarding players because they are absolutely nothing alike.
I don’t know if it’s coaching or not but Sandringham to me looked like a completely different outfit...

if in a marking contest that they’re not going to win, any Zebra looks to bring the ball down to a teammate positioned in front of them. When under pressure in a contest the players kick the ball without looking forward to a designated spot where a tall has run to provide a contest.
The Sandy players get numbers around the ball, run through the line and decisively kick it to their forwards. And when players take marks in the forward 50, their instinct is to go back and drill it and they look completely self-assured.

All in all I’m going to say don’t but fooled by the board... set shots were accurate... kicking for goal in general play was significantly less accurate

I don’t know if this is directly related to Aaron Hamil or was more a case of an easy game, but it looked to me like Hamil has imparted his influence on the team... tough at the contest, follow team rules and adhere to structure.
Was super impressed.

With regards to Sandy... there was a real emphasis of inclusion/acceptance with the rainbow 50m arc and goal padding, the announcement at the ground and unfortunately the numbers on the players backs were rainbow which made them very difficult to read... I liked everything but the latter.

As a result I struggled a little bit with identifying some players (was reliant on the numbers) but here I go.

David Armitage - clearly a class above. Won the ball all day, hit everyone hard and often his opponents just bounced off him. He’s Dustin Martin at this level... and whilst there was a lot to like, he failed to do anything that indicated he was demanding his spot back.
Guys like Milne, Ball, Dal, even Ralph made it impossible to overlook them when dropped because they demonstrated they were too good and above the VFL, Armo was bigger and stronger but he lacked any type of brilliance... no pin point kicking, no bags of goals, no 45 possessions.

Billy Longer... was eagerly awaiting Pierce vs Longer but the former didn’t play from what I can tell.
Now this may be harsh but I didn’t like Billy’s game. Let’s be clear... as a tap ruckman he was a class above everyone else. He DOMINATED the taps, lots to advantage. Everyone else was second rate.
However that was it... Billy DOES NOT WORK EVEN REMOTELY HARD ENOUGH. He doesn’t get to contests, lay tackles, take marks... wasn’t impressed with his shepherding or bollocking. He doesn’t drop back that much, doesn’t chase hard... From the tap, the only way he gets involved is if we kick it to him in a contest and in that sense he will bring the ball to ground but that’s it.

Rowan Marshall: definitely my preferred ruck. He had a rough’ish day for skills, made a few basic errors e.g. dropped marks, kicked to the man on the mark at one point but he worked hard all over the ground, took marks, tackled, spoiled, presented all day. Whilst not as dominant in the centre as Billy, liked his game a lot more... the kid has presence and IMO should play regularly for us as the main ruck ahead of both Billy and Hickey. Clearly the best prospect... has this way of influencing contests to our favour.

Josh Bruce: clearly a grade above this level. His first touch was a contested mark that he passed accurately to a team mate for a goal and he kicked his first from a strong mark a few minutes later. He looked dangerous everytime he was near the ball... he’d look like he’d either take the mark or hurt the sucker that got in his way.
My impression was he got a bit tired in the middle there but a very encouraging return.

Jack Billings: what’s to say... he played the game at this level that we want him to play at AFL. Ran all day, kicked goals, heaps of possessions, spread etc. that being said, it was the goals that made his game standout... if it was the same game with 3 less kicks and no goals he doesn’t standout.

Ray Connellan: why has this kid not played yet? Loved him. He is a jet, gets the ball, runs it down the line and kicks it long an accurately. Is exactly what we need in the seniors at the moment.
Super impressed with his game. Thought he was close to our most damaging player. Has after-burners on and very confident and skilled. Kicked a couple of goals too.

Hugh Goddard: He was my surprise packet... now people will say how much defending could he have done against a team that kicked 3 goals but he’s the reason why they only kicked three goals... he gave 5cm and 5kg to his opponent but wore him like a glove, always brought the ball to ground and often left his opponent to help a team mate spoil. Was super impressed with him.
If you watch Hugh, he looks a little manic... when the opposition have the ball forward of centre he is extremely restless and is watching everything trying to figure out where the play is going. He needs a bit of size but IMO, I reckon he could be our next FB after Brown. He doesn’t get much ball and won’t provide run... but he is switched on, blocks, is very team orientated and could from up a guy like Logan Austin to be more of a tall runner.
Def my surprise

Nathan Freeman: my disappointment of the day. My wife and I made a conscious effort to watch him all day... he started at halfback and struggled to get in the play and to be honest, half way through the third we thought he was off injured. I was shocked to find he had 20 touches.
This might just be me because he played HBF in the second to the opposite end of the ground where he was harder to spot and I think he must have switched to HFF after half time and stayed there. He didn’t seem to spend much time in the middle, certainly didn’t provide much drive or get to many contests. I saw him miss a goal in the third he should have kicked and give away a free kick by getting late to a contest. Was really hoping to see a player a cut above the rest here but really struggled to notice him.
Again though... must really emphasise that he may have just spent the majority of the game on the other side of the ground.

Amongst the rest
Nathan Wright wasn’t much chop. Didn’t do anything to even remotely suggest a call back
Oscar Clavarino: got better as the game went on. Quiet in the first half but took a few marks in the second half
Darragh Joyce: liked his game. Good defender, runs well, decent disposal, took a few marks. Beat his opponent all day
Doulton Langlands: actually quite liked the look of this kid too. Was zippy across HB all day... got a bit of ball, ran hard, decent disposal. Watch this space in my opinion. Not afraid to take the game on which I liked.
Brandon White: prominent early and looked damaging... kind of faded after that. Was a player I found a little hard to make out.

For Sandy... I really liked #20 Christian Carnovale (according to the record)... not listed on the website though... was an absolute livewire... tough, good skills, was involved in everything and ran all day. Rookie him for sure.
Tom Lamb is decent and this Seccull guy I’ve heard so much about is good too but I didn’t see anything to suggest that either could play at the next level.
I'm sorry, but a lot of what you have written is just not right
Nathan Freeman started the game in the middle and actually won the first clearance, he also contested almost every centre square bounce whilst he was on the ground, he never played off half back all game, he played mid/half forward. He won a lot of inside ball and got first hands in tight situation
Brandon White hurt his knee in the first quarter and never played after half time he didn't fade out at all.
Nathan Wright was in the top 3 or 4 on the field, he was outstanding with his run and carry and unusually for him, hardly missed a target by foot, his manic attack on the ball and opposition was fantastic.
Billy Longer was by far the best big bloke on the ground dominated taps and took at least 5 contested marks also kicked a goal.
Billings was so far and above the best player on the ground its was just ridiculous, his goals just put the icing on probably the best individual game I have ever seen at this level.

casey scorp
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 10:32pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:29pm
One more game.

I’m sticking to my guns.
No, he is a certainty to return for GWS game.
Suns

bergsone
SS Life Member

stkfc1 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 6:59pm
freely wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 6:57pm
saynta wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 4:22pm At least Sammy appears to know how to coach.
Sammy was our forward coach last year.
Could be our new coach next year...
Way things are going,could be this year

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Didn't anyone see the rabble that was Sandringham last week when they were on TV??? They were absolute crap! This week they played a bottom side. No one can go on that game - doesn't matter who they are!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
stonecold
SS Life Member

BringBackMadDog wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 11:19pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:37pm Hi everyone, just got back from the game... report as follows

Was super impressed.

Def my surprise

Amongst the rest

Nathan Freeman started the game in the middle and actually won the first clearance, he also contested almost every centre square bounce whilst he was on the ground, he never played off half back all game, he played mid/half forward. He won a lot of inside ball and got first hands in tight situation
Brandon White hurt his knee in the first quarter and never played after half time he didn't fade out at all.
Nathan Wright was in the top 3 or 4 on the field, he was outstanding with his run and carry and unusually for him, hardly missed a target by foot, his manic attack on the ball and opposition was fantastic.
Billy Longer was by far the best big bloke on the ground dominated taps and took at least 5 contested marks also kicked a goal.
Billings was so far and above the best player on the ground its was just ridiculous, his goals just put the icing on probably the best individual game I have ever seen at this level.
Good report Doggie, very accurate, thanks!!!!!

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

53 touches and 3 goals, what would be the point in keeping in the twos? Guess it's hard to replace the likes of mcKenzie, Weller and Lonie.

Yeah changed my mind, another month in the two's

Bring back the Lockett era
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 11:19pm

Was super impressed.

Def my surprise

Amongst the rest

Like I said at the start of my post, some of these guys I had difficulty recognising and Freeman was one of them. He may have started the first clearance in the middle but he was up the ground for the majority of the second and third quarters... I know because I sat opposite the Saunter end goals and was looking for him. Number 10 did not venture down that often. Found it hard to pick him after quarter time but if he did a lot of in tight work that’s fair enough.

With Brandon White, again I said I found it hard to recognise him... He started well but I struggled to spot him after that... obviously that was because he went off.

Billings and Longer’s games I just didn’t rate as high as you did... Billings the best game you’ve seen at that level, seriously!? He had a good game but come on.
As for Longer... I’m sorry but no way. No disagreements about his tap work... he’s a beast. Clearly a class above in that regard but from where I sat, didn’t see anything to even remotely suggest that if he came back the 1sts he’d play even remotely different to what we’ve see so far. Especially given the fact that it was practically a training drill.

Wright I’ve obviously completely missed but I wasn’t looking for him at all. Won’t get another contract IMO

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Was super impressed.

Def my surprise

Amongst the rest

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 1:51am

Was super impressed.

Def my surprise

Amongst the rest

Not sure where my post went but to paraphrase...

Longer was very good in the ruck. Would give 100 times more than what we got on Sat night in the middle.

Freeman played on ball from quarter time onwards (I missed the first) and pretty much started every centre bounce for the game. Not sure where the HFF comments above come from? Thought Freeman was solid in the contest, got to contests and probably got a bit more attention from the opposition.

Billings was exceptional. He ran free all day but nonetheless was everywhere. Wouldn't agree with the logic if the coaches give another week. Went to VFL to get form, got form... needs to play now and capitalise.