Administration and Coach - Hold our nerve

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jaxons
Club Player

Re: Administration and Coach - Hold our nerve

st sandy wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 1:32pm So i am in my fifties & a 4th generation supporter/member of the saints (my children are 5th)
I can safely say that i have seen it all when it comes to the roller coaster ride of our footy club. And what is the saying...it is never as bad as it seems & never as good as it seems

I can confidently say that the current group of administrators at our footy club are the BEST that i can remember & i go back along along way. Yes that is Summers, Finnis, Lethlean & the Coach. (I listen to and read the same media as everyone else & attend the games)
For the younger supporters on here, the history of the saints is littered with poor & weak administration & no doubt has lead to our infamous history

In my view the most diabolical outcome that could occur is to make wholesale changes to all aspects of the club being Board, CEO, Footy admin & yes the coach.

For once in our history MY WISH is that we show strength & leadership & HOLD OUR NERVE
Yes that includes supporting the Board, Coach & players during these difficult times & backing the decisions they have made
i have faith with current administration

The integrity of an organisation is reflected in decisions made during difficult times - my wish is for our administration to hold firm, continue to fight & demand improved performance

You only have to look at richmond in 2016 with 4 wins and a leadership challenge to confirm that things can turn very quickly for an organisation that stays on course & backs themselves during a period of poor on field performance

Bleeding red, black & white
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and respect the right to share and express yours.
Not sure on what basis you have faith in this administration or coach.
If you knew what I knew you may have a very different view.

loris
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 4:03pm
spert wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 1:56pm Our current president, board and football dept have taken us absolutely nowhere while spinning bullsh*t to all who will listen.
Why would you listen?

The AFL and all their clubs spend every single waking moment bullshitting.

That's what they do. They sell hope to battlers with not much else going on in their lives.

They con people into thinking that a group of strangers winning a game will make some difference to their lives. It doesn't. It's all bulls***.
Spot on Roger you Wiley ole fox 🦊

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 7:30pm

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and respect the right to share and express yours.
Not sure on what basis you have faith in this administration or coach.
If you knew what I knew you may have a very different view.
Jaxons, are you still employed by the club?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

#RegimeChange

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Something has to give somewhere. 2018 has been totally unacceptable on every level. If this sort of rot was happening at an EPL or NFL club, then changes would have been made already...and decent ones too.

There has be to changes in every department of the entire club - players, coaches, medical staff, recruiters, the board, admin staff...even the boot studder.

The Saints have currently become a joke which I hate to say as I have always been positive about the club on all levels. Both in good and bad times. I've had family actually play and been involved with the Saints...they aren't happy with the club and how things are travelling right now!

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:49pm

There has be to changes in every department of the entire club - players, coaches, medical staff, recruiters, the board, admin staff...even the boot studder.

I don't agree with that.

Why fix things if they're not broken? Why throw the baby out with the bath water?

You need to identify the problems first. None of us have a clue what the problems are. We can all see the symptoms, but we have no idea why and are merely guessing.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:03pm

I don't agree with that.

Why fix things if they're not broken? Why throw the baby out with the bath water?

You need to identify the problems first. None of us have a clue what the problems are. We can all see the symptoms, but we have no idea why and are merely guessing.
Things are broken though. There has to be changes as something is just not right. We were a better side and club 5 years ago than we are now.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:10pm

I don't agree with that.

Things are broken though. There has to be changes as something is just not right. We were a better side and club 5 years ago than we are now.

But isn't that kind of like bulldozing your house and rebuilding it because you have a leaky tap?

Shouldn't you focus on the specific things that are broken, and fix them?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:14pm

I don't agree with that.

But isn't that kind of like bulldozing your house and rebuilding it because you have a leaky tap?

The baby is sick. The house doesn't just have a leaky tap. It's entire roof and foundations are collapsing.
If you only fix the tap you will have a dead family when the place collapses.

Right now we are nothing more than a franchise under management. Like a loss making pie face shop.
We are a spot in the fixture. That's it.

Second most irrelevant club in the AFL after Gold Coast.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:18pm

Right now we are nothing more than a franchise under management. Like a loss making pie face shop.

I fear that if these are your concerns, you're in for a rude shock when you realise that it will never be 'fixed'. As in the eyes of the AFL and the clubs - it's not broken at all. This is the very nature of the AFL business. All clubs are merely revenue streams in the industry.

The Recruit
Club Player

I agree with the original post
Not sure why the hate for Letherlan?
We forget that Gill is best mates with Clarko...if all this afl boys club lands us Alistair then welcome AFL suits...the more the merrier

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

rogerfox, your question (?) about the problem unnerves me, somewhat like the theme from jaws. Isn't the problem that the current operational team can't win games, that the coaches, recruiters and a number of players are not up to standard, which has obvious consequences. Are we under a curse? What is your take? I really take on board your posts so you make me quite anxious with the allusion that there is something deeper going on.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 2:16pm Just LOL.
Seriously.
Finnis and Lethlean. Lethlean !!!!!! No other club would take him. Except us.
Oh sweet Jesus.
Sweet Jesus!

The coach is a half wit.

Comparing the current crop to the Lyon or GT era is plain embarrassing.
Even under Sheldon and Alves we were better.

Finnis is an empty careerist suit placed at the club by AFL HQ. Don't be fooled by the corporate speak.

The club is in existential crisis under the current regime.

Any comparison with Richmond is ignorant in the extreme.

They made 4 of the last 6 finals.

Seriously wake up.
Why don't you look into Lethlean's background, particularly his footy background, before dismissing him.

He actually Coached at the same level as Grant Thomas and I believe more successfully. He has run footy clubs successfully, has a reputation for been innovative and ruthless. Now if nobody really wanted him because of his marital infidelities, then they're the d*ckhead dullards.

I wouldn't dismiss his ability to work out what our issues are, whether they be the Coach or other things and make the appropriate recomendations.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:27pm
Con Gorozidis wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:18pm

I fear that if these are your concerns, you're in for a rude shock when you realise that it will never be 'fixed'. As in the eyes of the AFL and the clubs - it's not broken at all. This is the very nature of the AFL business. All clubs are merely revenue streams in the industry.
Some have more autonomy than others.

Do you believe the AFL have as much control over Richmond or West Coast as they do Gold Coast?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:36pm rogerfox, your question (?) about the problem unnerves me, somewhat like the theme from jaws. Isn't the problem that the current operational team can't win games, that the coaches, recruiters and a number of players are not up to standard, which has obvious consequences. Are we under a curse? What is your take? I really take on board your posts so you make me quite anxious with the allusion that there is something deeper going on.
Honestly, I don't have a clue what the problem is.

I don't even know if there is actually a problem at all!

What I am sure of this though:

The on-field situation is not necessarily the fault of anyone. I called it 5 years ago, that with the imbalance in the list we had as we entered the compromised drafts, any rebuilt would take years to come to fruition. I stand by that. I feel that we're on track in that sense.

I think we're coached poorly. Over coached. However I don't know whether it's because Richo is s*** (which I think he is), or is it Kingsley? Is it the arrival of Playfair? Has Richo given his assistants too much say? I don't know.

Off-field, I don't know what people expect be honest?

I'm not supporting the current leadership as such, but they've orchestrated a move back to Moorabbin, record membership, two 'marquee games' and we haven't any off-field s*** go down in years.

I'm not being cryptic or mysterious. I just think this 'sack everyone!' mentality is misguided.

I think that with any issue in life, you need to remove the emotion and understand what the problem actually is. And I don't think anyone on here knows. So sacking everyone isn't really that great an idea in my opinion.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Seriously.
Oh sweet Jesus.
Sweet Jesus!

The coach is a half wit.

Finnis is an empty careerist suit placed at the club by AFL HQ. Don't be fooled by the corporate speak.

Seriously wake up.
Agree totally.
The AFL is big business, in the entertainment industry,
and the main players are the 18 clubs.
TV rights and sponsors are the source of the finance.

Don't for one minute think the AFL wants to "help" us by giving us
some sort of "white knight" like Lethlean.
It's just "jobs for the boys", and he was installed at our club as a favour
by the Kremlin, a huge favour-
and in return for that favour, he will play ball for the AFL.
He will NOT have our club's interests at heart.
The AFL installed him, he is the spy on the inside.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

here's a hypothetical scenario
Lethlean's mobile rings.
It's Gillon.

Gil: "Hey Simon, how's it going? Hey, the Saints aren't happy about some sort of free kick disparity
in the Eagles game? And you would like to raise it with us? Is that correct? Just asking..."
Lethlean: "Hey Gil, you know, the coaches, some of the board, the supporters, the media
are all getting salty over it...I will come in for a chat, no biggie, I have to raise it,
you know, just doing my job, and-"
Gil interrupts quietly:" Simon, Simon, Simon. Just doing your job? Now, remind me, how did you
get that job, can you recall? Take your time, mate"

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 5:33pm
bigred wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 4:34pm I am convinced that both Finnis and Lethlean are AFL plants.
That's a fact isn't it?
I can assure you that neither are plants but the AFL is not unhappy that either are inside our tent.

Go you red, black & white warriors
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Why don't you look into Lethlean's background, particularly his footy background, before dismissing him.

He actually Coached at the same level as Grant Thomas and I believe more successfully. He has run footy clubs successfully, has a reputation for been innovative and ruthless. Now if nobody really wanted him because of his marital infidelities, then they're the d*ckhead dullards.

I wouldn't dismiss his ability to work out what our issues are, whether they be the Coach or other things and make the appropriate recomendations.
Interesting. I didn’t know this about hs football/coaching background.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:14pm

I don't agree with that.

I don't want the joint bulldozed and torched or everyone sacked, but there has to be change! Its getting beyond a joke now. We won't be able to recruit or attract mature aged players anymore if this keeps up also.

Changes must be made at all levels and decent ones. Turning over the entire joint is counterproductive and any serious Saints fan wouldn't want that to happen as there are good and capable individuals at the club right now. Every AFL club has them.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 2:19pm What's wrong with lawyers? They usually run the country so they are certainly capable of running a football club.
Some of the dumbest people I've met in business are lawyers - used to have one on here called Stinger (you may have heard of him), reminding us all he was a lawyer and how good they were
The good news, thanks to tech such as AI and others, this breed will be on the redundancy list soon enough, not enough to wipe them all out of course but to put into perspective just how useful and brilliant they really aren't
Hang on to your horse hair wigs folks!!

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I don't agree with that.

You've stated this now in several threads but are yet to enlighten us all on "the problem"
You've jumped around like Dodgy in the good old days and it's lovely to see that as some things change...others stay the same
So tell us all, please : "what is the problem with the St Kilda FC"
Go.

“Yeah….nah””
congorozides
Club Player

Fair play to Rodger Fox for identifying the list profile issues back in 2013.

My point is - if Rodger could see it - and many others could see this as far back as 2011 - then surely the current regime also saw it and should have done a better job to manage it?
They had their chance and they mis-managed it. That is now clear. 8 years on.

Can we trust the same group of people to start again from scratch and manage another re-build after they clearly stuffed the last one? Have they learnt their lessons? Everything I have seen or heard so far suggests they havent even conceded there is a problem. Let alone learnt any lessons.

If the current regime came out head on and said this is what we did wrong: A + B + C

And this is what will do next time: D + E +F....

...Then I would accept that and be happy to keep them on.

But that isn't what we have seen or heard. They seem either oblivious, asleep at the wheel or entirely content with being s***-house.
Not sure which one but none of those offerings are good.
Last edited by congorozides on Mon 11 Jun 2018 12:20am, edited 1 time in total.

congorozides
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:37pm
Seriously.
Oh sweet Jesus.
Sweet Jesus!

The coach is a half wit.

Seriously wake up.

I dont give two s***s about Lethlean's infidelity.

What I do know is he a complete and utter f***wit.

I also know that he didn't want to come to the Saints and Gillon shopped him around to multiple clubs who all said No.

We were his last choice and the only club piss weak enough to do as we were told by Gillon. Let's face it - when you have a $10m debt - you arent in a position to argue with HQ.

Only 4 months in - he already put in a job application for the Demons CEO job (which he wont get).

Lethlean can GAGF as far as I am concerned.

jaxons
Club Player

congorozides wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 12:17am
Linton Lodger wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:37pm
Seriously.
Oh sweet Jesus.
Sweet Jesus!

The coach is a half wit.

Seriously wake up.

I dont give two s***s about Lethlean's infidelity.

What I do know is he a complete and utter f***wit.

I also know that he didn't want to come to the Saints and Gillon shopped him around to multiple clubs who all said No.

We were his last choice and the only club piss weak enough to do as we were told by Gillon. Let's face it - when you have a $10m debt - you arent in a position to argue with HQ.

Only 4 months in - he already put in a job application for the Demons CEO job (which he wont get).

Lethlean can GAGF as far as I am concerned.
Con, none of anything you have written here in your last post is correct, except the first and last sentence which are your opinions and you are entitled to it.