Would you back me?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Would you back me?

Sainternist wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 6:56pm
ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 11:02amOnly thing is; I havent been a member out of principal against this shocking regime, which i think many would hold against me.
DEAL BREAKER.

Why wouldn't you renew your membership? This only hurts the club further. As an accountant, you should already know this.

Renew your membership, then keep renewing it for the next ten years and then come back to ask my opinion.

Next!
Yep. Sensible suggestion.

ss1986
Club Player

asiu wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 7:23pm lets turn this mess into a positive somehow

what have learnt young fella ?
I have learnt asiu that you cannot please everyone, but more importantly, most dissenters are very willing to poo-poo and get personal, but not a single one has expressed a view that contributes to the betterment of the club.

Not one.

There’s also a stench around the complete unwillingness to get with the times and actively demand change.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 7:28pm
asiu wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 7:23pm lets turn this mess into a positive somehow

what have learnt young fella ?
I have learnt asiu that you cannot please everyone, but more importantly, most dissenters are very willing to poo-poo and get personal, but not a single one has expressed a view that contributes to the betterment of the club.

Not one.

There’s also a stench around the complete unwillingness to get with the times and actively demand change.

You should have learned that you shouldn't annoy/upset the grown-ups.

You were the one to get personal or have you forgotten calling me a fool.

I should have just reported your post and not responded.

I am anything but a fool.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 4:03pm We need either a comprehensive independent review or a new ticket who promise a comprehensive independent review.

Blind hope and stumbling along with the current Muppets is a pathway down Dantes inferno.
So you'd back any ticket who promised an independent review. Let's get this right, you'd back the rolling of the incumbents for person(s) who's plan was to contract out their job and not take responsibility themselves. Unless of course, as is mostly the case with 'independent' reviews, the independent consultants find whatever their client tells them to find. In that case you're backing a ticket that want to make decisions, but not take responsibility themselves.

If you see such a ticket coming, be sure, they are wankers without a clue. Anyone that says they can do better shouldn't need a so called 'independent' review. You'd expect them to have the ability to work out what's wrong and fix it. You'd expect them to have a plan that they can discuss in great detail and have subjected to scrutiny, before they take over. Anything less and they're wasting our time.

Ernst & Young did nothing at Richmond but do what Brendan Gale & Peggy O'Neil told them to do.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 7:24pm
saynta wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 7:14pm
ss1986 wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 6:58pm
saynta wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 6:43pm
ss1986 wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 6:26pm
saynta wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 4:23pm Needs to be some one who puts his money where his mouth is and is not just out of short pants.

I have taken a real dislike to this interloper.
I’m here trying to put together a plan to resurrect the football club.... and I’m not a ‘Saints Person’ but you are because you pay some money.

By that reckoning, anyone who is living in poverty cant join your elitist football club and be a Saints Person.

You are a fool.
And you are a wet behind the ears child, not long off his mothers tit who wants to hijack the club I have loved for twice the number of years you have been alive.

Enough posters on here have told you that they won't support a non member.

And you call me a fool. Dream on.

I will continue to oppose you as long as I draw breath, as you are starting to show your true colours. :roll:

If you had the sense you were born with you would have signed up for a membership before you posted the op.

But then you can't put an old head on shoulders so young. Your two main problems afaic.

And for your nformation, I pay more than a bit of money each year. I buy 9 memberships for my family including 4 social club memberships.

But you are too mean to buy even one.,For mine, you are not entitled to try and take over my club.
Who cares how many memberships you buy/can afford Saynta?

Hate to break it to you, but in the grand scheme of things your individual purchases are irrelevant. Our operating loss might have been $9.995 million without you.

You are as financial small fry as anyone else who doesnt contribute tens of thousands.

And some people arent fortunate enough to contribute. Doesnt make them any less of a supporter than you. How dare you even insinuate otherwise? What gives you the right to determine what a Saints person is... and that someone cant be one if they arent a member?

I’m glad I have been given enough of an answer not to waste my time to represent supporters like you.

The club will get what it deserves. With old school thinking and a blatant unwillingness to embrace new generations and change, we might last until.....oooooohhh i dunno.... 2020?
That's great news, chicken little.

Unfortunately you have caused me to waste precious time on you.

When I just read out your op to the missus, she burst into laughter.

Asked me what were you qualifications to run a football club which is after all a big business these days.

My answer to her was f***ed if I know. She laughed at you again.

So, young sir, as far as both of us are concerned, you are officially, at least in this house, a joke.
Rather spend a day as a Lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

Enjoy your Dom Perignon at dinner with your lovely Partner Saynta.

You can toast your contribution to the death of our football club.
I don't drink, but my wife is lovely. First thing you have gotten right.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 7:58pm
Con Gorozidis wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 4:03pm We need either a comprehensive independent review or a new ticket who promise a comprehensive independent review.

Blind hope and stumbling along with the current Muppets is a pathway down Dantes inferno.

Ernst & Young did nothing at Richmond but do what Brendan Gale & Peggy O'Neil told them to do.
Par for the course. That is what usually happens.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 4:23pm Needs to be some one who puts his money where his mouth is and is not just out of short pants.

I’m here trying to put together a plan to resurrect the football club.... and I’m not a ‘Saints Person’ but you are because you pay some money.

By that reckoning, anyone who is living in poverty cant join your elitist football club and be a Saints Person.

You are a fool.
But your OP says you are choosing not to be a member. How long have you been making that choice?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I’d back you.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 8:23pm

You are a fool.
But your OP says you are choosing not to be a member. How long have you been making that choice?
Not only that, he has openly called a club member a fool. Most unwise, as any potential club president needs the utmost diplomacy. He may have already derailed his own campaign.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
derby Street
Club Player

If everyone took your view SS we would have no members. If you get in (???) and people don't agree or like what you are doing and they followed your example we would have no members. I do not like everything the board does - but I support St Kilda - hence I buy memberships for myself and family.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 4:36pm
bigred wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 4:21pm Ok well..

What exactly do you bring to the table?
What plan do you have?
What is the strategic financial plan that you have that will get us out of the red in say the next five years?
How will you increase membership?
How will you review the football departments and employees?
How will this all be financed?

What makes you better than the current batch of well funded AFL sycophants?
You were the first to provide me with feedback in my May post called 'Pleb's Presidential Plan to 2020' bigred.

But I re-post it here below.

I was given some strong feedback re: Pride Game and AFLW which I would revisit, but the other thoughts I have outlined are the basics of my plan. If it got serious, of course I would outline each of those plans in far greater details.

My key is; it all needs to be done on a shoe-string. I'd love to say "Get Al Clarkson for 7 years on A$10m"; but the sad reality is, that isn't going to happen. Trying to be a realist, and incrementally but steadily get this club back to where it belongs.

1. Relieve Alan Richardson of his present role.

We would pay him out for the duration of his existing contract (that should NEVER have been signed).

2. Install Adam Kingsley as full time coach until the end of Alan’s existing contract.

Net spend in this instance would therefore be zero, but-for the employment of an Assistant Coach at year’s end. THIS IS AN INTERIM MEASURE ONLY

3. At year end, seek the services of Lenny Hayes as Adam’s assistant.

Based on years of experience, reputation in the industry and experience with the current playing group, Adam gets the nod for me in the ‘proving period’ to the end of 2020. Lenny would bring his experience at GWS, and reinvigorate the supporter base. If Adam doesn’t work out by the end of 2020 (a tough gig), Lenny could be considered for the role.

4. Relieve Tony Elshaug of his role with immediate effect.

Recruitment/trade leader to be sought, under the instruction that the best players be sought and the best prices. All players are tradeable during the period, not a single player is off limits. We must become competitive in the immediate term through aggressive Moneyball-style trading; with a view to Free Agency kicking us on post-2020. This is an immediate priority – getting back to winning; whether we are in contention or not in the medium term. We MUST capture the supporter base back.

5. Employ the services of a full time sports psychologist to iron out these mental kinks in the current playing group.

6. Commission a top-to-tail review of the football department by a professional services firm.

This all encompassing review would be with a view to rejigging the current structure after 2020. No significant change could be done prior to then based on our financials. I would also employ the services of Leigh Matthews, Paul Roos or someone else well credentialed to oversee this process and report back to the Board.

7. Seek alignment with the City Group (or likewise).

This one is a bit ‘out-there’, but we must at least examine the possibility of external and significant investment. St.Kilda FC remains the biggest sporting challenge (my understanding is, the least successful sporting franchise based on titles won out of years in existence in the top flight). What a sporting story to be told. The marketing alone would be potentially enormous; and leveraging the likes of Eric Bana, Shane Warne and Molly Meldrum could be used in this capacity somehow to give the City Group a profile in the Entertainment, Sport and Music industry. I haven’t thought through this point enough to work out how we would demonstrate value sufficient for their investment, but at least a minimal $ injection would open up doors to premium facilities, tactical alignment and quality business practices.

8. Improve the match day experience.

On the soccer theme for a moment; increase member engagement through a cheer squad leader and series of chant-leading individuals across the wings at Etihad. IMAGINE ‘Oh when the Saints’ being sung in a long drawn out manner on GF day. Brings goosebumps thinking about it. A Liverpool-style YNWA, prior to the match would be intimidating and awe inspiring. We need to become more vocal, and remove the current childish atmosphere. Yes it is kid friendly, but it does nothing for the main target market who are clearly disenchanted with the sanitised football atmosphere. This kind of active section could be branded the 'Devils' or 'Sinners'.

9. Ticket-price scaling and increased membership option variety.

These clubs like Hawthorn and Richmond have so many members because dogs and 3 match memberships are included in the reporting. Start to portray St.Kilda as a BIG powerhouse through the discretionary membership reporting mechanisms. Inspire a big profile by talking like a big club.

10. To that end, develop Moorabbin with a view to being a boutique home so we can beat up on interstaters, Melbourne and North Melbourne at Moorabbin. If this could become a fortress; then we should be close to Top Four every year.

11. Increase fan participation in the running of the club through active feedback forums.

Run a session once a month or two at Moorabbin, to allow supporters to voice their opinions. At the moment, the supporter base has no voice and isn’t being heard.

12. Be a very VISIBLE president.

Do more media engagements including radio and TV; stand up for our club to the AFL as necessary, including opinions on umpiring/MRP, and ensure we aren’t walked all over like we always are. Our current invisibility and silence is deafening.

13. Finally – remove any affiliation with political, environmental or social issues.

This is a big one and some may disagree. But I would remove the Pride Game affiliation, and any other non-AFL driven recognition games. Sorry, but we are a football club, and our supporter base covers a broad church whether we like it or not. AFLW is already somewhat standalone with the ‘Southern Saints’ name, but the marketing on the St.Kilda Football Club website/facebook etc. would be limited to the Mens football team. A distinction would be drawn.

If you follow St.Kilda FC in the Red, White and Black, it is the male men’s football team. We would also not set the Board based on quotas or otherwise. KPIs would be set as part of the wide ranging review, and the structure of our football club would be based on a meritocracy. Companies such as Deloitte have already blown through the Diversity phase, and realised that that approach has failures systemic to it, and meritocracy, whether you are male, female, LGBTIQ or otherwise is the sole basis for promotions. If one day the best AFL coach proves to be a woman, then she will be the football coach of the St.Kilda FC. Until then, if it is 100% male; then so it is.
You given this a lot of thought and effort, that's appreciated, but seriously, you lost me as early as Kingsley.

If one accepts that the issue is Coaching then why on earth would you seriously consider Kingsley? I know you said its an interim measure, trouble is you are suggesting a 2 year interim measure, when if I understood correctly, you say you'd contract Kingsley until 2020. Kingsley has been there for longer than Richo, how can one be possibly convinced that Kingsley doesn't share substantial responsibility for our problems?

My concern is that you are thinking of mitigating debt primarily, when considering a replacement Coach. Also, there are noises that the players cannot stand Kingsley, can't vouch for their accuracy, but can't dismiss them either. Any replacement Coach would be too critical an appointment to skimp on or get wrong. It would be imperative to find cuts elsewhere, certainly not the footy department.

You seem to concede you would have to pay out Richo until 2020. You cannot even begin to plan around a financial payout to Richo before you see his contract. Its rare that a contract is unbreakable. Wouldn't you seek to negotiate a settlement based on the parameters of the contract? Parameters can be rubbery and if it is an employment contract, there is also an inferred contract. Paying Richo until 2020 if current performance persists, would be a substantial failure. Then what do you do if he wins the last 10 games, or 9, 8, 7 or 6 of them?

Richo or Kingsley (as an interim) could throw out the gameplan, play one on one, and we'd probably win a few. What would that prove? We still wouldn't have mastered a gameplan that can get you Top 4 and go deep. If Kingsley wanted to apply for the job you wouldn't have him as an interim anyway, that would cloud objectivity for the reasons I've mentioned. You'd probably put Aaron Hamill in the role for the rest of the year if it came to that.

On recruitment, you appear to have decided that a cleanout is necessary. I've written a detailed post on another thread about a week ago on our recruiting since 2011. Granted that 2006 - 2010 were poor, but I don't believe that has anything to do with the current incumbents. When you scrutinize it, whilst we haven't yet unearthed a star, you cannot argue convincingly that our recruitment has been poor. Sure our two highest picks in that time, Billings and McCartin haven't flourished yet and I emphasize yet. They are both potentially stars, I'm convinced Billings will get there, with McCartin it will be down to his health and level of fitness. If the big lump gets his fitness up to scratch he will be a monster. Gresham, Long, Clark, Coffield and Webster potential stars. If Carlisle isn't an absolute star he's bloody close.

What if any problems with recruiting are due to insufficient scouts on the ground watching talent? A financial resource issue. What if we can only afford to watch 200 hopefuls closely, whilst the richer Clubs can look at 400? So you sack the recruiters and get left with the same problem. Then what do you do with the intel already gathered by the current incumbents for this year's draft and trade periods?

You cannot rule out that there is no issue with recruitment, it could be development. Then who's responsible, the Coaches? Is it a resource issue?

Your idea to partner up with the Citi Group is mystifying. Are you proposing some sort of ownership measure (bad idea), or sponsorship?

"Commission a top-to-tail review of the football department by a professional services firm." Mate you're losing me there again. I'd expect anyone taking over to be more creative than that. If you couldn't identify what needed to be done yourself, then you're not up for it.

Sure, seeking external advice on football matters is fine, because you have no expertise there. You wouldn't go near Paul Roos for that. Let's wait and see if Melbourne really are a team going places, they should be, they've had a multitude of Top 10 picks because they were a non competitive disaster for a decade. Roos fluked the 2005 Premierhip, it was a Steve Bradbury moment. If we hadn't been utterly crippled by injuries those scroungers wouldn't have got within 12 goals of us. They were not a Premiership team. Sure he put in place great systems, 15 years ago. i find him unmeasured and contradictory in his commentary. His criticisms of Collingwood early this season have been made to look foolish. No doubt Leigh Matthews is a great footy brain, bear in mind that Richo is a Leigh Matthews disciple.

You could talk to Matthews, you could avail yourself of Grant Thomas' hospitality and advice and talk to a number of Footy people. That makes good sense, in fact it would be remiss of you not to do so. Just bear in mind that they can only give you their impressions of our gameplan etc from a distance. It is you that would need to talk to people at the Club, seek advice and be able to work it out.

I'm with you on political correctness, but be wary of canning the Pride game. We want St Kilda the area to adopt us, which it has to an extent. St Kilda (the area) is and always has been about tolerance and the gay community is a big part of its culture. It would be risking adverse effects for no good reason.

A boutique stadium at Moorabbin, now you're tugging at my heart strings, how I would love that. In reality, is it really achievable? How would you really convince the AFL or governments to build a stadium there?

I'd expect our President to be competent and effective, visibility isn't really important and can be a double edged sword. Only Kennett and Maguire are visible, how many of the other Presidents are visible?

Your other ideas are good.

Bear in mind that our performance on the field, altough disastrous and non competitive, may not be too difficult to fix. There was a moment in the game on Saturday that I think was indicative of where our problems lay. Gary Lyon and Roos seized on it on "On The Couch". I noticed it at the game and was stunned. We had the play on the wing (the side where the benches are), I think Ed Phillips had the ball. Hickey was running past and was clear, I think we had numbers forward of the ball. An opponent closed on Phillips, Phillips could have easily handpassed to Hickey running past and Hickey was away. Hickey ran past him all right, didn't look at him and went straight to the interchange bench for his rotation! Phillips (or whoever had the ball) left with no options, got collared and I think it ended in a turnover.

Hickey was focussed on his routine and not reacting to the immediate play. Mindfulness! That was the direct opposite! That moment highlighted what appears to be the issue. The team is over thinking (would explain why we are usually second to the ball), putting structure before instinct and confusing themselves. That is down to coaching, is it Richo, Kingsley or both?

We've seen what happens when they don't over think, the final quarter of the GWS game last year and the first half of the first Richmond game last last year. They have been unable to do so consistently within games and over games. What needs to be identified is why? You'd want to work that out before touching the footy department or recruiting. Is it a crap gameplan, poor leadership, poor communication, over complicated, the ability of the list or the immaturity of the List?

These questions need realistic answers. I bet you the Club (particularly Lethlean) is doing that right now.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 1:39pm
Bear in mind that our performance on the field, altough disastrous and non competitive, may not be too difficult to fix. There was a moment in the game on Saturday that I think was indicative of where our problems lay. Gary Lyon and Roos seized on it on "On The Couch". I noticed it at the game and was stunned. We had the play on the wing (the side where the benches are), I think Ed Phillips had the ball. Hickey was running past and was clear, I think we had numbers forward of the ball. An opponent closed on Phillips, Phillips could have easily handpassed to Hickey running past and Hickey was away. Hickey ran past him all right, didn't look at him and went straight to the interchange bench for his rotation! Phillips (or whoever had the ball) left with no options, got collared and I think it ended in a turnover.

Hickey was focussed on his routine and not reacting to the immediate play. Mindfulness! That was the direct opposite! That moment highlighted what appears to be the issue. The team is over thinking (would explain why we are usually second to the ball), putting structure before instinct and confusing themselves. That is down to coaching, is it Richo, Kingsley or both?

We've seen what happens when they don't over think, the final quarter of the GWS game last year and the first half of the first Richmond game last last year. They have been unable to do so consistently within games and over games. What needs to be identified is why? You'd want to work that out before touching the footy department or recruiting. Is it a crap gameplan, poor leadership, poor communication, over complicated, the ability of the list or the immaturity of the List?
Couldn't agree more.

Totally agree with the problem - but also agree that as an outsider it is difficult to pinpoint the cause.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

I’ve read it all now! Some no namer wants people on a forum, who would argue what day it is, to support him in overthrowing the current regime!
With one of his biggest arguments to alienate ourselves with current focus of the AFL bigwigs in AFLW and matches like the pride game. Good move! Let’s allientate ourselves more from the AFL and a number of current members and possible new members all because we can’t win a game! Classic! OP is clearly taking the urine! Oh and let’s payout our coach and replace him with an untried assistant who is part of the current make up! This has 2019 premiers written all over it.

Oh and don’t forget the part where he lets the fans run the club!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
saynta
Saintsational Legend

You called him a no namer, I would call him a book keeping young nobody with an over inflated ego and sense of self worth, but lets not quibble over descriptive words.

I think he is done now, so that can only be a good thing.

Change is afoot by people who should know what they are doing within the club, and interlopers certainly wouldn't be doing the club or its supporter base, any favours.

ss1986
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 6:32pm You called him a no namer, I would call him a book keeping young nobody with an over inflated ego and sense of self worth, but lets not quibble over descriptive words.

Change is afoot by people who should know what they are doing within the club, and interlopers certainly wouldn't be doing the club or its supporter base, any favours.
You arent worth another bash of a keyboard button Saynta.

Linton Lodger- I actually really do appreciate the effort you took to deconstruct what I put together and floated out there.

I never proclaimed to have all the answers, never had a sense of self inflated ego... just a passion for the St.Kilda FC like everyone else around here.

Only you have attempted to put forward your own views- some I agree with, others not, but I am done. I wrote the original post in early May - as more becomes apparent, Kingsley may indeed not be the guy we’d plump for.

But whatever.

I dont wish to fight on. Not because I feel defeated, but because it’s a pure waste of my time talking to people like those who felt the need to shoot me down over irrelevant issues such as lack of historic membership (when Simon Lethlean for example would never have held a Saints membership prior to this year)... or because I am young and presented some ideas.

I actually feel a bit sorry for particular members here.... they desperately cling to the past, attach their self worth to the limited $$ they contribute and attack new thinking out of fear of becoming completely irrelevant.

Problem is, they already are and the club reflects it.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 4:36pm
bigred wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 4:21pm Ok well..

What exactly do you bring to the table?
What plan do you have?
What is the strategic financial plan that you have that will get us out of the red in say the next five years?
How will you increase membership?
How will you review the football departments and employees?
How will this all be financed?

What makes you better than the current batch of well funded AFL sycophants?
You were the first to provide me with feedback in my May post called 'Pleb's Presidential Plan to 2020' bigred.

But I re-post it here below.

I was given some strong feedback re: Pride Game and AFLW which I would revisit, but the other thoughts I have outlined are the basics of my plan. If it got serious, of course I would outline each of those plans in far greater details.

My key is; it all needs to be done on a shoe-string. I'd love to say "Get Al Clarkson for 7 years on A$10m"; but the sad reality is, that isn't going to happen. Trying to be a realist, and incrementally but steadily get this club back to where it belongs.

1. Relieve Alan Richardson of his present role.

We would pay him out for the duration of his existing contract (that should NEVER have been signed).

2. Install Adam Kingsley as full time coach until the end of Alan’s existing contract.

Net spend in this instance would therefore be zero, but-for the employment of an Assistant Coach at year’s end. THIS IS AN INTERIM MEASURE ONLY

3. At year end, seek the services of Lenny Hayes as Adam’s assistant.

Based on years of experience, reputation in the industry and experience with the current playing group, Adam gets the nod for me in the ‘proving period’ to the end of 2020. Lenny would bring his experience at GWS, and reinvigorate the supporter base. If Adam doesn’t work out by the end of 2020 (a tough gig), Lenny could be considered for the role.

4. Relieve Tony Elshaug of his role with immediate effect.

Recruitment/trade leader to be sought, under the instruction that the best players be sought and the best prices. All players are tradeable during the period, not a single player is off limits. We must become competitive in the immediate term through aggressive Moneyball-style trading; with a view to Free Agency kicking us on post-2020. This is an immediate priority – getting back to winning; whether we are in contention or not in the medium term. We MUST capture the supporter base back.

5. Employ the services of a full time sports psychologist to iron out these mental kinks in the current playing group.

6. Commission a top-to-tail review of the football department by a professional services firm.

This all encompassing review would be with a view to rejigging the current structure after 2020. No significant change could be done prior to then based on our financials. I would also employ the services of Leigh Matthews, Paul Roos or someone else well credentialed to oversee this process and report back to the Board.

7. Seek alignment with the City Group (or likewise).

This one is a bit ‘out-there’, but we must at least examine the possibility of external and significant investment. St.Kilda FC remains the biggest sporting challenge (my understanding is, the least successful sporting franchise based on titles won out of years in existence in the top flight). What a sporting story to be told. The marketing alone would be potentially enormous; and leveraging the likes of Eric Bana, Shane Warne and Molly Meldrum could be used in this capacity somehow to give the City Group a profile in the Entertainment, Sport and Music industry. I haven’t thought through this point enough to work out how we would demonstrate value sufficient for their investment, but at least a minimal $ injection would open up doors to premium facilities, tactical alignment and quality business practices.

8. Improve the match day experience.

On the soccer theme for a moment; increase member engagement through a cheer squad leader and series of chant-leading individuals across the wings at Etihad. IMAGINE ‘Oh when the Saints’ being sung in a long drawn out manner on GF day. Brings goosebumps thinking about it. A Liverpool-style YNWA, prior to the match would be intimidating and awe inspiring. We need to become more vocal, and remove the current childish atmosphere. Yes it is kid friendly, but it does nothing for the main target market who are clearly disenchanted with the sanitised football atmosphere. This kind of active section could be branded the 'Devils' or 'Sinners'.

9. Ticket-price scaling and increased membership option variety.

These clubs like Hawthorn and Richmond have so many members because dogs and 3 match memberships are included in the reporting. Start to portray St.Kilda as a BIG powerhouse through the discretionary membership reporting mechanisms. Inspire a big profile by talking like a big club.

10. To that end, develop Moorabbin with a view to being a boutique home so we can beat up on interstaters, Melbourne and North Melbourne at Moorabbin. If this could become a fortress; then we should be close to Top Four every year.

11. Increase fan participation in the running of the club through active feedback forums.

Run a session once a month or two at Moorabbin, to allow supporters to voice their opinions. At the moment, the supporter base has no voice and isn’t being heard.

12. Be a very VISIBLE president.

Do more media engagements including radio and TV; stand up for our club to the AFL as necessary, including opinions on umpiring/MRP, and ensure we aren’t walked all over like we always are. Our current invisibility and silence is deafening.

13. Finally – remove any affiliation with political, environmental or social issues.

This is a big one and some may disagree. But I would remove the Pride Game affiliation, and any other non-AFL driven recognition games. Sorry, but we are a football club, and our supporter base covers a broad church whether we like it or not. AFLW is already somewhat standalone with the ‘Southern Saints’ name, but the marketing on the St.Kilda Football Club website/facebook etc. would be limited to the Mens football team. A distinction would be drawn.

If you follow St.Kilda FC in the Red, White and Black, it is the male men’s football team. We would also not set the Board based on quotas or otherwise. KPIs would be set as part of the wide ranging review, and the structure of our football club would be based on a meritocracy. Companies such as Deloitte have already blown through the Diversity phase, and realised that that approach has failures systemic to it, and meritocracy, whether you are male, female, LGBTIQ or otherwise is the sole basis for promotions. If one day the best AFL coach proves to be a woman, then she will be the football coach of the St.Kilda FC. Until then, if it is 100% male; then so it is.

I'm sure this took a lot of time to create but to be brutally honest - majority of this is very very poor.

Don't quit your day job. Luckily to be president, it's near full time voluntary so you need to be wealthy/established.

Why is it so very very poor? Number 10 and number 13 drive this assessment. The rest of the fluff is neither here or there.

Regarding 10, a home ground at Moorabbin - who is going to pay for it? Why are we going backwards compared to the rest of the competition? Why do we want to play in front of smaller crowds? Why are we moving away from the CBD? And most importantly.... who the hell is going to pay for it??? Do you have any idea how much it would cost?

Regarding number 13, this view just illustrates a shear lack of understanding of the true worth of the Women's game. I don't watch the AFLW, but surely an intelligent person could understand the value is in providing growth - more fans, more participants, more members and more money. It opens the sport entirely to the female population and it will be the men's game that capitalises.

I won't even start to comment on employing Kingsley until 2020 without a proper process and giving Lenny a job without an interview.

Sorry to be harsh but this is a very self absorbed post with very little awareness of the quality of your suggestions and views. You're sacking people, making terrible suggestions as above and even a suggestion that has been in play for years (long slow Saints chat).

I changed my mind - I think being a member is critical. I'm not a member snob - but I don't like the attitude that 'I'll only contribute if I can run the whole damn place'.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:31pm
ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 11:02am

I’d have the backing of the accounting firm behind me that offers a wide range of professional services that could benefit the club.

Can you elaborate on this?

Having been at a 'big 4' firm for 12 years, and seen first hand that even printing your child's birthday invitations during office hours on work paper is frowned upon - I struggle to comprehend WTF you're talking about when you say that you'd "have the backing of the accounting firm behind me that offers a wide range of professional services that could benefit the club".

Are you saying that as a mere senior manager, a firm would support you and offer their services to the club?

Taking the words right out of my mouth.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Wed 13 Jun 2018 1:00am
saynta wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 6:32pm You called him a no namer, I would call him a book keeping young nobody with an over inflated ego and sense of self worth, but lets not quibble over descriptive words.

Linton Lodger- I actually really do appreciate the effort you took to deconstruct what I put together and floated out there.

I never proclaimed to have all the answers, never had a sense of self inflated ego... just a passion for the St.Kilda FC like everyone else around here.

Only you have attempted to put forward your own views- some I agree with, others not, but I am done. I wrote the original post in early May - as more becomes apparent, Kingsley may indeed not be the guy we’d plump for.

But whatever.

I dont wish to fight on. Not because I feel defeated, but because it’s a pure waste of my time talking to people like those who felt the need to shoot me down over irrelevant issues such as lack of historic membership (when Simon Lethlean for example would never have held a Saints membership prior to this year)... or because I am young and presented some ideas.

I actually feel a bit sorry for particular members here.... they desperately cling to the past, attach their self worth to the limited $$ they contribute and attack new thinking out of fear of becoming completely irrelevant.

Just caught up on the other 4 pages in this thread and concluded you are some bloke just trying to pump up his own CV - president of a football club would look slick.

Unfortunately just from your posting and reasoning you can clearly observe that you don't have the experience, nor skill to perform. And I find your over inflated confidence and ignorance in this area quite concerning.

axcellence
Club Player

Don Quixote

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Wed 13 Jun 2018 2:08am

But whatever.

Just caught up on the other 4 pages in this thread and concluded you are some bloke just trying to pump up his own CV - president of a football club would look slick.

Unfortunately just from your posting and reasoning you can clearly observe that you don't have the experience, nor skill to perform. And I find your over inflated confidence and ignorance in this area quite concerning.
:wink:

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

But whatever.

Are you giving up that easily?

It wasn't my intention to deconstruct your platform, I just disagreed with some of your ideas (agreed with some) and illustrated that you appeared to be offering a cost cutting rebuild. I don't believe that's a platform that will enthuse members. If you really believed you could run the Club, I'd expect you to come back and argue your case.

By all means have a crack at it, backing yourself always has its benefits even if you don't succeed. Its always a learning experience.

In my view there are two possible reasons for your post:

1. It is what it is, as a frustrated supporter you've thought bugger this I'm going to do something about it. If so, that's great, do your best.

or

2. You're road testing a platform and messaging for somebody seriously trying to take over. If that's the case, go back to them and tell them they've got to be joking.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sorry, LL, there is no steel in the backbone. Simply the guy was not up to it.

First sign of dissension, he wants to quit.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

But whatever.

Oh FFS, Lethlean is a paid employee of the football club, there is absolutely no reason for him to have been a paid up member before he was employed. Board members of the football club, however are volunteers and DO NOT GET PAID, they are voted into office by members of the football club. Therefore if they want my vote they must fill two criteria, they must bring a high degree of business acumen, and they must be a financial member of the club BEFORE they are elected to the board.
You have no idea, your manifesto was an absolute joke and clearly displayed that you are so far out of your depth.

ss1986
Club Player

Saynta,

I would rather just call a truce than go backwards and forwards in slurs.

The reality is: a) I put my post out there to see what the kind of response would be to a layperson potentially having a crack;

b) whether any of my ideas are sound; and

c) where my views are divergent with the greater fraternity, what I would need to revisit.

I’m sorry for getting frustrated at the response - and the reality of the situation is; I wouldn’t be able to do it at this age, with zero profile.

But it hasn’t deterred me from one day aspiring to it; not for me believe it or not, but because I truly want to die having seen a Saints flag.

That is all.

And for future reference, I’ll sure as hell make sure I’m a member before even considering jumping on here to gauge opinions again.

I hope there really is a ticket in the wings with sufficient $$$ behind it, as I have said repeatedly. The ONLY occasion on which I ever even contemplated a run at it was if the incumbents remained and no change was forthcoming.

That.was.all.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Wed 13 Jun 2018 11:50am Saynta,

I would rather just call a truce than go backwards and forwards in slurs.

The reality is: a) I put my post out there to see what the kind of response would be to a layperson potentially having a crack;

b) whether any of my ideas are sound; and

c) where my views are divergent with the greater fraternity, what I would need to revisit.

I’m sorry for getting frustrated at the response - and the reality of the situation is; I wouldn’t be able to do it at this age, with zero profile.

But it hasn’t deterred me from one day aspiring to it; not for me believe it or not, but because I truly want to die having seen a Saints flag.

That is all.

And for future reference, I’ll sure as hell make sure I’m a member before even considering jumping on here to gauge opinions again.

I hope there really is a ticket in the wings with sufficient $$$ behind it, as I have said repeatedly. The ONLY occasion on which I ever even contemplated a run at it was if the incumbents remained and no change was forthcoming.

That.was.all.
Lets see what others are doing behind the scenes. I admire your passion, but sign up if you want a hand in any change, and change is coming.