Is Alan Richardson Actually Up to Snuff?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Alan Richardson Actually Up to Snuff?

rodgerfox wrote: Fri 22 Jun 2018 7:09pm Speaking from many years experience designing and implementing KPIs at various organisations - the number 1 rule is that KPIs should never be set for factors that are beyond your control.

That defeats the whole purpose of a KPI.

KPIs are about behaviours that lead to a goal.
So as I said, for an organisation with heavy corporate influence, I'd fall over if they set a KPI for the coach specific to win/loss.

Depending how corporate they are, win/loss could potentially be set as an SLA.
If we presume the club executive would follow SMART criteria in a performance managed environment, then you would hope that the senior coach's Win/Loss ratio against a time period would be the cause to generate a significant KPI rather than a SLA. But let's hope something of this order is actually in place down at the club...maybe it's not and we're just presuming they are actually measuring performance? We better get down there quickly.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 23 Jun 2018 6:21am
Saints43 wrote: Thu 21 Jun 2018 8:19pm
Cairnsman wrote:The thing that has struck me about Richo during this season is he seems to have kept cool in a crisis. He's looked focused, proactive and determined on game day with him coming down to the bench when things haven't been going well.
If you are not panicking you don't realise the severity of the situation.
just like Nero played the fiddle while Rome burned.

Yeah, if you pretend there isn't really a problem, or downplay it, it's known as being in denial
Isn't denial a river in Egypt?

Sanctorum
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote: Sat 23 Jun 2018 7:53am Whatever way you want to spin it, if we don’t make finals this year coach gets sacked.

That should be a known entity from the start of this season. No excuses.

IF the assistants are rubbish for so long now, if Richo was worth his salt he would’ve jumped up and down and asked for replacements by now.

But either he has and no one listened, or he is so incompetent that he didn’t know they were a big problem.

I’m backing the latter, given he has been at the club for 5 years.

Sorry, there are WAY too many red flags for Richo to survive. I’ve lived long enough to know when it’s deadman walking.

Thank god we have fresh eyes in Lethlean who will cut through the inertia.
My thoughts are that Richo is not the problem as such and I firmly believe that the club needs to make major changes to other coaching personnel. For a start, it's time after 12 years for Danny Sexton to depart - he is now Director of Coaching, and yet he has not played a single game of AFL at senior level. It must be galling for Richo to answer to a bloke without elite level experience, yet that is the reality of his situation.

So the club needs to recruit a new DOC. Richmond came good after they brought in Neil Balme, Collingwood this year brought in Brent Sanderson (ex Adelaide senior coach) and Hawthorn have Brett Ratten to assist Clarkson, all experienced and respected former senior coaches. There is also the example of Melbourne who under guidance from the AFL appointed a top executive (Peter Jackson) as CEO and coupled with Paul Roos as Senior Coach has turned that club around spectacularly both on and off the field.

At the excellent pre-match supporters function organised by Bev and Murray Browne and others on the Gold Coast last Saturday, Peter Summers made it quite clear that he and the Board are totally committed to Richo, but conceded that the review by Simon Lethlean will be thorough and include all aspects of the Saints football department. The fact that at this early stage Tony Elshaug has already been given his marching orders suggests to me that there will be further major changes in coaching personnel at the end of this season. I feel sure that this will be of considerable benefit to Richo in the long run.

Overall I feel the main reason the Saints have dropped off the pace this year is the lack of quality (meaning elite) players in the 22-30 age group and currently there is not one Saints player that is even close to All Australian selection. Nonetheless, the Saints do have a very good list, there are a lot of players with great potential - and with better coaching they will most definitely turn the club's fortunes around.....but not this year!!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
silverhalo
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 23 Jun 2018 6:21am
Saints43 wrote: Thu 21 Jun 2018 8:19pm
Cairnsman wrote:The thing that has struck me about Richo during this season is he seems to have kept cool in a crisis. He's looked focused, proactive and determined on game day with him coming down to the bench when things haven't been going well.
If you are not panicking you don't realise the severity of the situation.
just like Nero played the fiddle while Rome burned.

Yeah, if you pretend there isn't really a problem, or downplay it, it's known as being in denial
I think the word is dispassionate....I'd prefer someone that wears his heart on his sleeve; like when:-

- Maxy Hudghton balled his eyes out after that loss
- Like Clarkson punching a hole in the wall
- Like Sheeds waving his scarf at the West Coast supporters
- Like Choco Williams feigning hanging himself with his scarf after Port won the flag (up yours to the board)

We want to see some passion Richo, like this club really means something to you....we want to know that you're hurting the way we all have been this year and that your main interest is not that big fat pay cheque you'll be collecting for another 2 years as it turns out.

Enough of the 'pleasing' and other beige non threatening comments that we're sick of hearing....

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yes Alan’s on snuff

“Yeah….nah””
chico2001
Club Player

A good post sanctorum but the issue I have is with the President who does not seem to have much of an idea about the team itself from Richardson to the bootstudder. Even more annoying for me is the now total reliance on an ex solicitor/admin clerk with no senior AFL club experience to rectify all the ills. This club continually employs people in key positions without the relevant experience/quality. E.g Richardson, Sexton, other coaches and now Lethlean. The cost of hiring the wrong candidates is enormous.

The club will never learn, history shows that.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Sun 24 Jun 2018 1:37pm A good post sanctorum but the issue I have is with the President who does not seem to have much of an idea about the team itself from Richardson to the bootstudder. Even more annoying for me is the now total reliance on an ex solicitor/admin clerk with no senior AFL club experience to rectify all the ills. This club continually employs people in key positions without the relevant experience/quality. E.g Richardson, Sexton, other coaches and now Lethlean. The cost of hiring the wrong candidates is enormous.

Lethlean is well qualified and has relevant experience IMHO.

He set up the womens league and was 2nd in charge of the AFL.

We are lucky to have him. And while he was never a senior AFL player he has had football coaching experience and is a leader of men.

From wikipedia

Playing/coaching career

Lethlean played for the Hawthorn reserves side,[11] playing in 40 games during the 1990s before later playing for the Old Xaverians, where he was involved in five premierships.[4][12] He went on to captain the Victorian Amateur Football Association (VAFA) representative team. Lethlean later returned to the Old Xaverians as coach, winning premierships again in 2009 and 2010.[12] He also coached the VAFA representative side to six wins from six games.[13]

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Sun 24 Jun 2018 1:37pm A good post sanctorum but the issue I have is with the President who does not seem to have much of an idea about the team itself from Richardson to the bootstudder. Even more annoying for me is the now total reliance on an ex solicitor/admin clerk with no senior AFL club experience to rectify all the ills. This club continually employs people in key positions without the relevant experience/quality. E.g Richardson, Sexton, other coaches and now Lethlean. The cost of hiring the wrong candidates is enormous.

Great post Chico
Sadly we are sometimes just happy to get anyone in who may have had a swanky corporate gig somewhere as though that proves they have the ability
Due diligence sadly lacking
Time will tell on Lethlean
Finnis doesn’t instil any confidence
SUmmers appears lost and messaging at odds with rest of the club

“Yeah….nah””
chico2001
Club Player

Yes, we would have hoped that the President and the coach would have been on the same page at least as to the clubs aspirations for 2018. Hopefully lethlean can do a good job but he just does not seem the right fit for a team that is struggling and they really needed a proven top person for that job. One of his biggests jobs will be to make a decision on Richardson this year. Finnis's document which I only read last week on the reason for employing Lethlean didnt cut it either IMO.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Mon 25 Jun 2018 12:34am Yes, we would have hoped that the President and the coach would have been on the same page at least as to the clubs aspirations for 2018. Hopefully lethlean can do a good job but he just does not seem the right fit for a team that is struggling and they really needed a proven top person for that job. One of his biggests jobs will be to make a decision on Richardson this year. Finnis's document which I only read last week on the reason for employing Lethlean didnt cut it either IMO.
Have you ever met any of these people? You know face to face?

By these people I mean Richo, Lerhlean, Finnis and Summers.

If you haven't then your comments don't carry much weight.

chico2001
Club Player

So you know them then...sounds like you have said hello and then hung on the fringes of the conversation....earwigging.

Just Looked back at a few of your comments

Your comment.........."I think that the big boss told Lethlean "Fix my f****** club or you will be out of football altogether." So Summers told you that directly did he? Or did you hear it from one of the above whom you have met face to face at a function or was it gossip in the toilet where you were hanging on every whisper?
Since when do you decide that a posters comments "dont carry much weight" in a forum? Do you know other key people in life?...maybe you comment on Shorten or Turnbull , no doubt you have spoken about Donald Trump....do you know him?

Does this rule "of yours" apply to all posters then? If you dont personally know Nick Rewoldt ..then anyones comment in any way shape or form about him "dont carry much weight", is that what you are implying?

Your comment " carlton are shite" why would you call another club s***.....be frank and take off the e....Have you said that to any Carlton player "face to face"?

Your comment "Dunstan and Rice "gave up" attempting to chase a Suns player. Have you said that to them "face to face" after the game or at any time? Maybe you contacted lethlean or Summers whom you know and informed them about 2 saints players giving up, did you? But then again maybe you spoke to "Richo" about this and discussed it in depth with him. Can you let us know what "Richo" said about it?

Lets hear your answers next post and let posters decide if your comments " dont carry much weight"

asiu
Saintsational Legend

the bigboss would have been in reference to further up the food chain than Summers wouldnt it ?

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
chico2001
Club Player

By the way , I have not met these people. I just want results from them, not to hear their excuses.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Mon 25 Jun 2018 2:45pm By the way , I have not met these people. I just want results from them, not to hear their excuses.
I have and not in a toilet as you stated.

Good, smart, knowledgeably people, all of them.

Actually had a coffee with the CEO in Sydney one day.

And most recently , a chat with Peter at the Gold coast.

Lethlean, I have only spoken to once. I was impressed with him

chico2001
Club Player

so answer the questions....

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Is Alan Richardson up the duff!!??
That explains a lot...

“Yeah….nah””
Greg T
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 24 Jun 2018 1:43pm

We are lucky to have him. And while he was never a senior AFL player he has had football coaching experience and is a leader of men.

From wikipedia

Playing/coaching career

Lethlean played for the Hawthorn reserves side,[11] playing in 40 games during the 1990s before later playing for the Old Xaverians, where he was involved in five premierships.[4][12] He went on to captain the Victorian Amateur Football Association (VAFA) representative team. Lethlean later returned to the Old Xaverians as coach, winning premierships again in 2009 and 2010.[12] He also coached the VAFA representative side to six wins from six games.[13]
Bloody hell,why isn't he coach!

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote: Mon 25 Jun 2018 9:57pm

From wikipedia

Playing/coaching career

:D :D 8-)

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote: Mon 25 Jun 2018 9:57pm

From wikipedia

Playing/coaching career

The new GT?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
David-Lee
Club Player

Well I know Finnis quite well. I can confirm he is passionate about St Kilda. Regardless of our friendship just because he loves the Saints doesnt mean he knows what to do and honestly, I have run my mouth endlessly over coffee and I dont know either. I'm just as stuck as he is and the rest of the staff.
I do think they need to move and change the entire coaching staff and clean out a few players, not a heap .
Get a director of football and throw it all at a few A grade FA's.
Honest when we do get together now we rarely talk footy. The women would murder us, and I'm over it too.

So, I dont really blame the board as much as I dont think anyone saw the huge slump coming and it just revealed how team culture has crumbled in the past four years. Nick was very blunt about Richo failing to inspire the team leaders to hold each other accountable- not just this year but for several years. Nick could have played on but he knew this team was never going anywhere and he was tired of carrying the load.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote: Mon 25 Jun 2018 11:28pm Well I know Finnis quite well. I can confirm he is passionate about St Kilda. Regardless of our friendship just because he loves the Saints doesnt mean he knows what to do and honestly, I have run my mouth endlessly over coffee and I dont know either. I'm just as stuck as he is and the rest of the staff.
I do think they need to move and change the entire coaching staff and clean out a few players, not a heap .
Get a director of football and throw it all at a few A grade FA's.
Honest when we do get together now we rarely talk footy. The women would murder us, and I'm over it too.

So, I dont really blame the board as much as I dont think anyone saw the huge slump coming and it just revealed how team culture has crumbled in the past four years. Nick was very blunt about Richo failing to inspire the team leaders to hold each other accountable- not just this year but for several years. Nick could have played on but he knew this team was never going anywhere and he was tired of carrying the load.
Thanks David
You see, despite some needing more questions answered, I think your post and Riewoldts frustration tells me all I need to know.
Richardson needs to go
Sadly, so to many on the board that made the disastrous decision to extend him when they simply did not need to
I heard some talk (not here of course) of interest in Sam MItchell in a senior assistant role and perhaps an option to then do a Melbourne like kirribili agreement (Paul Roos type).
Do we look for a respected senior coach on a short term assignment, bring in a Mitchell to work to him with a handover offering?
I think we need to spend some serious coin on top notch assistants
No more work experience guys

“Yeah….nah””
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sat 23 Jun 2018 12:21pm
rodgerfox wrote: Fri 22 Jun 2018 7:09pm Speaking from many years experience designing and implementing KPIs at various organisations - the number 1 rule is that KPIs should never be set for factors that are beyond your control.

That defeats the whole purpose of a KPI.

KPIs are about behaviours that lead to a goal.
So as I said, for an organisation with heavy corporate influence, I'd fall over if they set a KPI for the coach specific to win/loss.

Depending how corporate they are, win/loss could potentially be set as an SLA.
If we presume the club executive would follow SMART criteria in a performance managed environment, then you would hope that the senior coach's Win/Loss ratio against a time period would be the cause to generate a significant KPI rather than a SLA. But let's hope something of this order is actually in place down at the club...maybe it's not and we're just presuming they are actually measuring performance? We better get down there quickly.
Are we talking footy or VCE Business Management?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
chico2001
Club Player

No, its called sh**t

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote: Mon 25 Jun 2018 11:28pm
And there you have it. The apex of the triangle, Richardson, is where the culture gets modelled and created. As I’ve posted elsewhere, when hard calls need to be made or he needs to stand firm with a challenging interaction, he goes missing. Lots of hypothesising going on about assistants and the list, but put a new coach in there that the players respect and gives them hope and we would look a different team. He has lost the current group, whatever spin you hear to the contrary.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

That’s frightening Byron considering we are making noises of no change to the head coach.... scary stuff

“Yeah….nah””