Team v Blues

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v Blues

Could be the 2nd worst game of the season.......

the worst

Sainst v North.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I've seen a few players that attempt to tackle #25 for Carlton get a free against for dangerous tackle. He's as light as a feather and when they go in with the same ferocity as they do trying to tackle normally, Fischer just goes flying. Wonder what will happen if Lonie attempts to tackle him

I reckon #25 might just try the don't argue Dusty style on Lonie and he might get away with it. Either that or Lonie will bounce off him or fall over like he does against every other opposition player when he's in the seniors

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

I tend to agree with saintsRrising

These ins aren’t too bad on the whole. Good balance of talks and smalls

Lonie, well I’m not his biggest fan but reality is he gives us an additional small attacking forward option and probably brings a couple of goals with him. Would be great if he could play 4 solid qtrs rather than the fits and spurts we seem to get from him currently

Marshall had to come in and hickey deserves his place

Jake we don’t need to discuss

All in all reasonable changes with acres to play next week by all accounts

#1 Ryder fan
takeaway
Club Player

I think the ins are OK, but as with other posters have doubts re Lonie. This has to be his last chance. Hope Hickey carries on his form from the 2's, he needs confidence in the firsts, another couple of poor games and he will be right on the outer.

Blues side looks Ok to me, and with their recent media coverage we will be doing well to win.

The Barometer
Club Player

Lonie, a selection masterstroke to distract from the fact that we have a crap backline. Surely against the blues is when you play young guys like Rice, Paton, White, Goddard (all emergencies and all backman who can actually kick). WHat a waste naming GIlbert and Newnes on half back. Isn't RIcho the development coach guru? If Goddard can't play on the likes of a Harry McKay who can he play on?

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Lonie is hopeless, obviously because of his height, in the air.

He appears to have no leap at all, and gets caught in one v one marking contests all the time, which end in the opposition possessing the ball.

All of the decent small forwards can at least compete in the air, Lonie can’t.

Imo he shouldn’t get a game. As he rarely kicks goals and doesn’t average enough tackles for a small forward.

barneyboyz
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote: Thu 12 Jul 2018 8:37pm Good ins overall. Lets get around the side regardless tomorrow night.

Acres will be fully ready next week we can assume. Same as Freeman next week or the one after. Good to see Phillips and Marshall get another go at it and some runs on the board.

I also think Lonie might have a good night out. He will want to!
I agree, I only hope they are communicating early with Freeman. Lonie isn't as bad as people think, and Marshall needs to work hard, otherwise yeah, looks ok to me

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
stonecold
SS Life Member

shrodes wrote: Thu 12 Jul 2018 10:32pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 12 Jul 2018 7:44pm OMFG Lonie. Again. WTF. Seriously WTF
:lol: I called it
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95740#p1740648
stonecold wrote: Thu 12 Jul 2018 10:07pm
kosifantutti wrote: Thu 12 Jul 2018 8:43pm
stonecold wrote: Thu 12 Jul 2018 8:19pm Nup, fair enough, let's hope Hickledik can gave a win for the first time in 2 seasons!!!!;)!
2 seasons? Making things up again I see.

Last season?????

This Season?????

Almost two seasons!!!!!
He played in our round 3 and 4 wins last year against Brisbane and Collingwood.
Apologies, just over a season and a half then!!!!!

All jokes aside, all the best to Hickledik, hopefully he gets a good run at it and a few wins!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
wally
Club Player

I think Gilbert might actually be a good match for Curnow

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

portosaint wrote: Thu 12 Jul 2018 8:40pm
Tommyj wrote: Thu 12 Jul 2018 7:59pm I really think they should put the bong away on selection night
Forget the bong. There has to be some hard stuff going down in there
I was warned for suggesting meth but on the basis of retaining Weller, Newnes and then bringing in Lonie (v.7.0) - I'm yet to receive an explanation as to why said substance should be ruled out.

No White, No Acres, No Rice yet play Weller, Lonie, Newnes. That seems like the thoughts of a lucid match committee

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Leo.J wrote: Fri 13 Jul 2018 9:06am Lonie is hopeless, obviously because of his height, in the air.

He appears to have no leap at all, and gets caught in one v one marking contests all the time, which end in the opposition possessing the ball.

All of the decent small forwards can at least compete in the air, Lonie can’t.

Imo he shouldn’t get a game. As he rarely kicks goals and doesn’t average enough tackles for a small forward.
Lonie's inadequacies relate mainly to weight; not height. Agreed that he's poor in the air but that's understandable and pretty much everyone has something that could be better re: anatomy.

Where he becomes almost irrelevant at senior AFL level is in the pressure stakes. That is - he's easily moved off the ball, rag-dolled when tackled and completely and utterly ineffective when he's the tackler. He just doesn't have the body mass to play at the top level and he certainly doesn't have the core strength.

All Lonie has is reading the play and getting in the right positions to crumb. I hope he does that well and I think it's a credit to him that he's got this far but he's nowhere near the level of what's required to play the position well.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

The Barometer wrote: Fri 13 Jul 2018 9:05am Lonie, a selection masterstroke to distract from the fact that we have a crap backline. Surely against the blues is when you play young guys like Rice, Paton, White, Goddard (all emergencies and all backman who can actually kick). WHat a waste naming GIlbert and Newnes on half back. Isn't RIcho the development coach guru? If Goddard can't play on the likes of a Harry McKay who can he play on?
Well, you hit the nail on the head and answered your own question.

Unfortunately for Huey, he's in a lot of strife. He was a big power athlete but with limited speed and agility when drafted. Add a snapped Achilles to that and you now have a lumbering type who's now more effective (@ VFL level) as a straight-line lead/mark forward than as a key defender.

I can't see how he'll be re-contracted for 2019 and beyond ...

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

There are some very lucky boys in our team tonight. I am totally over Newnes and Weller, Lonie will never make it, and unfortunately Sammy looks done.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sammy will be better for the run.

chico2001
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 13 Jul 2018 11:20am Sammy will be better for the run.
oooh...I like that saying.....have you been talking to your mate Richo?