Sandringham v Geelong

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Sandringham v Geelong

sunsaint wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 6:17pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 4:12pm

Well I felt a bit bad because I said I’d do a match report
couldnt you just cobble something together?

I mean after a promising start how did they lose that one ?
Very simply. Cats had 20 AFL listed players. In their team - we had 10. Sandy played well but just outclassed. Crameri up front and Henderson down back were rocks.

Freeman had a blinding 1st q then faded but shows class and composure - can’t say why he couldn’t play soon. Connellan, Clav, Patton, Coff played ok. Acres in and out. Lots of Saints boys there watching.

Difficult conditions - blowing a gale at times to the Sautner end

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

BringBackMadDog wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 9:47pm I went to the game today and I have no idea where they pulled those best players from. White was fair at best, made a load of errors, Joyce was OK but got outmarked in their forward 50 a few times. Paton was good, he is a big kid and has good speed.

Freeza was very good on the wing, he worked his arse off both forward and back and did all the hard things. Conellan did some really clever things and he is a really long kick of the ball. He is so quick, both with the footy and also chasing blokes down
I thought that Coffield was really good off half back, made one horrible clanger but apart from that was good with the footy and found a lot of space.
On the negative side, Goddard was poor, couldn't take a mark, fumbled badly and looked so slow.
Agreed. White was sloppy and I can’t see how Goddard gets another contract. He’s slowish at VFL level - would get slaughtered playing on a mobile tall at AFL level.

congorozides
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 11:01pm

Very simply. Cats had 20 AFL listed players. In their team - we had 10.
You sure they had 20?
Kiel, Keras, Atkins, Tsitas. Not on Cats list.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Have seen sandy 3 times this year .
Each time its been windy
Each time they've looked hopeless trying to score into the wind
Frustrating to watch
You'd think playing at TBO they would have some idea how to play the ground .
Lost count of how many times we kicked it OOF .

In red white and black from 73
SMS
Club Player

OUT: Webster, Lonie, Weller
IN: Paton, Freeman, Ross

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

congorozides wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 11:23pm
Saintmatt wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 11:01pm

Very simply. Cats had 20 AFL listed players. In their team - we had 10.
You sure they had 20?
Kiel, Keras, Atkins, Tsitas. Not on Cats list.
That's what Hammil said to the President's Lunch attendees but I suspect that was from the selected teams. I know Geelong had a couple of late changes (I was standing for the first half behind their bench) and we also had Longer drop out late.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

mr six o'clock wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 11:46pm Have seen sandy 3 times this year .
Each time its been windy
Each time they've looked hopeless trying to score into the wind
Frustrating to watch
You'd think playing at TBO they would have some idea how to play the ground .
Lost count of how many times we kicked it OOF .
It was bizarre. The defensive side of that ground has always been the coaching box side yet we kept trying to kick in to the gale to the back Rd side. Geelong fell for that in the 1st q but didn't do it again as far as I could recall.

older saint
SS Life Member

SMS wrote: Mon 16 Jul 2018 9:56am OUT: Webster, Lonie, Weller
IN: Paton, Freeman, Ross
Likely
Ross for Webster

Coach commented on Lonie's tackles and seems to love Weller so while like to see others given a chance not this week. 5 day break for Sandy players also a concern.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

What happened to Billy?

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
ace
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 9:47pm I went to the game today and I have no idea where they pulled those best players from. White was fair at best, made a load of errors, Joyce was OK but got outmarked in their forward 50 a few times. Paton was good, he is a big kid and has good speed.

Freeza was very good on the wing, he worked his arse off both forward and back and did all the hard things. Conellan did some really clever things and he is a really long kick of the ball. He is so quick, both with the footy and also chasing blokes down
I thought that Coffield was really good off half back, made one horrible clanger but apart from that was good with the footy and found a lot of space.
On the negative side, Goddard was poor, couldn't take a mark, fumbled badly and looked so slow.
Hawthorn took the waddling duck McEvoy and taught him to run.
Why can't our guys do the same.
Take Goddard and teach him to run.
We don't need a waddling duck.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The 5 day turn around might be a decisive factor.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-15/a ... -your-club

State league affiliate: Sandringham (VFL)
This weekend: Sandringham v Geelong - Sunday, July 15, 2pm, Trevor Barker Beach Oval

Nathan Freeman may win himself an AFL debut after another strong performance at VFL level.

The injury-prone midfielder amassed 25 possessions in Sandringham's 28-point loss.

After picking up 33 disposals in his return from injury last week, Blake Acres (21 touches) had another strong game.

Nineteen-year-old Ben Paton, who was taken with pick No.46 in the 2017 National Draft, kicked two goals.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

ace wrote: Mon 16 Jul 2018 2:20pm

Hawthorn took the waddling duck McEvoy and taught him to run.
Why can't our guys do the same.
Take Goddard and teach him to run.
We don't need a waddling duck.
He was considered quick for his height as a junior, he actually ran 2.98 seconds in the 20 metre sprint at the draft combine, it looks like the achiles injury has really affected his agility. What was more concerning yesterday was the fact that he couldnt hold a mark at all, dropped quite a few relatively simple ones

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

If Acres is left at Sandi next week there's no way he'll be staying with us. Other clubs will be circling and offering senior game time and big contracts, to laughably someone who before his injury was our best player, yet now banished to the 2s for tge temerity of getting injured because he had to play in the ruck..

Ive never seen another player in my time thrown to the wolfs as Blake. He would be an A grade midfielder under even a half average coach.

Bring back the Lockett era
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote: Mon 16 Jul 2018 3:36pm If Acres is left at Sandi next week there's no way he'll be staying with us. Other clubs will be circling and offering senior game time and big contracts, to laughably someone who before his injury was our best player, yet now banished to the 2s for tge temerity of getting injured because he had to play in the ruck..

Ive never seen another player in my time thrown to the wolfs as Blake. He would be an A grade midfielder under even a half average coach.
Yes, it’s a worry. Richo doesn’t seem to rate him. If it was me he’d have been in the guts all season. I don’t understand what is going on there.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

jonesy wrote: Mon 16 Jul 2018 3:36pm If Acres is left at Sandi next week there's no way he'll be staying with us. Other clubs will be circling and offering senior game time and big contracts, to laughably someone who before his injury was our best player, yet now banished to the 2s for tge temerity of getting injured because he had to play in the ruck..

Oh FFS, Acres missed 8 weeks of football and only paid about 3/4 last week. He hasn't been banished anywhere he needs to run back into full fitness AND he didn't get injured because he was made to play in the ruck he had a groin injury. Get you f****** facts right before bagging out the coach and club

longtimesaint
Club Player

BringBackMadDog wrote: Mon 16 Jul 2018 4:52pm

Oh FFS, Acres missed 8 weeks of football and only paid about 3/4 last week. He hasn't been banished anywhere he needs to run back into full fitness AND he didn't get injured because he was made to play in the ruck he had a groin injury. Get you f****** facts right before bagging out the coach and club
I think he missed more like 10-12 weeks and would need at least two weeks at Sandy if we don't want him to re-injure the groin.

One year will be our year
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

What BS. He did his groin from not playing in the ruck and has not been banished to Sandi. He is recovering from a 3 month lay off and getting match fit. He'll probably come in this week. I think the medicos at Moorabbin know better than us when he'll be ready and how much 2's game time he needs.

Fit and firing, he is an instant selection every week. Thrown to the wolves? WTF?

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
stonecold
SS Life Member

parkeysainter wrote: Mon 16 Jul 2018 1:49pm What happened to Billy?
Family reasons!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote: Mon 16 Jul 2018 5:54pm
parkeysainter wrote: Mon 16 Jul 2018 1:49pm What happened to Billy?
Family reasons!!!!!
All ok I hope.

ace
Saintsational Legend

You see what happens to Sandringham when they don't have Hickey and Marshall to do the ruckwork.
That is why StoneCold wants Longer to play in the seniors.
It is unfair to Sandringham for St Kilda to take their better players.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
stonecold
SS Life Member

ace wrote: Mon 16 Jul 2018 6:03pm You see what happens to Sandringham when they don't have Hickey and Marshall to do the ruckwork.
That is why StoneCold wants Longer to play in the seniors.
It is unfair to Sandringham for St Kilda to take their better players.
Hope you not popping Longer?????

If you are, that's poor!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Don't think Sammy had the same take on Goddard's game.

"Hugh Goddard 7 kicks, 7 handballs, 5 marks, 5 tackles

"Hugh’s going exceptionally well. He’s turned his form around the last four weeks, and he’s using his man as a really good starting point, so he can be trusted in contests. We’re seeing a lot of growth in Hugh, and he’s got a really good understanding of what he has to do on game-day and what he can control, and selection will take care of itself."

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 18 Jul 2018 10:45am

"Hugh’s going exceptionally well. He’s turned his form around the last four weeks, and he’s using his man as a really good starting point, so he can be trusted in contests. We’re seeing a lot of growth in Hugh, and he’s got a really good understanding of what he has to do on game-day and what he can control, and selection will take care of itself."
And thats why I work in IT and Sammy is the coach!!

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

BringBackMadDog wrote: Wed 18 Jul 2018 3:01pm
saynta wrote: Wed 18 Jul 2018 10:45am

And thats why I work in IT and Sammy is the coach!!
Sheesh Sammy. I saw exactly the same as you BBMD - Goddard was in all sorts. He's lost whatever agility and speed he had when drafted. I was actually surpised at his size - Coffield is actually only marginally shorter than him. At AFL level - I would think Goddard would play on a Membrey sized player. He's not big enough to play on say a Kennedy, Darling, Hogan size (and would get ripped a new one aerobically). Given reasonable service, Membrey would slaughter him. I left the game on Sunday feeling quite dispirited about Goddard's prospects at AFL level.