Dylan Shiel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

axcellence
Club Player

Dylan Shiel

Saints should be doing this!!! Chasing Shiel
Bottom-of-the-ladder Carlton have identified Greater Western Sydney star Dylan Shiel as their priority recruiting target this year.

Shiel, recognised as one of the best midfielders in the competition, is contracted until the end of next year when he will become ­eligible for free agency.

But The Australian understands the Blues will attempt to trade for him a year before he comes on to the open market by offering their first selection in the November ­national draft to the Giants. ­Carlton will have to convince Shiel their rebuild is heading in the right direction despite a failure to win more than seven games a season in the past five years.

St Loxton
Club Player

Re: Dylan Shiel

They must have some idea that he could leave.
Carlton will need more than their first round to get him.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Carlton have a list chock full of high draft pick developing players, and GWS cast offs, probably ripe to burn some draft picks this year and get in some decent established talent. Imagine Shiel with Curnow and Cripps in the midfield? Plus, it'd almost be a homecoming with all his old team mates there. Probably astute work to chase him given where they're at.

I'm not sure what we're chock full of...spuds?

wally
Club Player

I think Coll might have given 2 1st round picks for Treloar

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Wow!!

SOS is a genious and has an elite eye for talent.

SOS has a proven track record of drafting the most recognisable and most widely accepted top draft picks in the country

SOS deserves to be highly paid because of his secret trade strategy ( shhhhh...I think it involves targeting GWS players)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

We are too dumb for this
Besides, if Blues have pick 1 ......this is what you can do with it in bargaining .....that’s the power of an early selection

But no, let’s try finish mid table so we can revel in a few cheap wins pretending it’s developing our psyche

Muppets everywhere

“Yeah….nah””
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Tue 26 Jun 2018 1:27pm Wow!!

SOS has a proven track record of drafting the most recognisable and most widely accepted top draft picks in the country

SOS deserves to be highly paid because of his secret trade strategy ( shhhhh...I think it involves targeting GWS players)
SOS's team is very bad

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Tue 26 Jun 2018 7:31pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 26 Jun 2018 1:27pm Wow!!

SOS's team is very bad
SOS was a great player but he aint no genius. I was being sarcastic. Any fool could do what he has.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We have to be in the box seat for this. We just have to be.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Shiel not returning to Vic this year guys. More likely the year after when he becomes a FA I believe. Much more likely then.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

The Bluescum are making their intentions clear for when he does come out of contract

No way do they give up their first pick for him this year when they can get him for nothing at the end of next year

Problem is Blues are last and don't look like they are improving just yet

No doubt a few other teams will be sniffing around Shiel at the end of next year including us

Good Eastern Suburbs boy - Saints would be a good fit

Look forward to Blues supporters having a hissy fit when when he signs with us :twisted: ..................... or Hawthorn :evil:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
axcellence
Club Player

wally wrote: Tue 26 Jun 2018 12:20pm I think Coll might have given 2 1st round picks for Treloar
Future round 1 pick

BadRossco
Club Player

I can't see any top line FA players falling over each other to come to the saints for a few years yet.
It pains me to say it but Caltons list is far superior to ours and they are more likely to get the big name recruits than us. That said the clubs in the premiership window seem to be landing all the big fish this proves free agency is some kind of reverse Robin Hood taking from the poor and giving to the rich. Our best chance is to go to the draft and then try to hang onto any gems we uncover.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

That's yet to be proven. If we beat Carlton again in a few weeks then their list is not superior to ours. If they beat us then theirs' is to ours. I'm reserving judgement until then. A few years ago they were meant to dish out the mother of all hidings to us at Etihad and despite it being a St. Kilda home game Carlton supporters turned out en masse to witness a shellacking - instead all they good was a good hiding from an injury depleted St. Kilda, who doubled the dose by twelve goals at the MCG again later in the year.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
BadRossco
Club Player

I have no doubt that Carlton will be tanking by than and as we know they have made an art form of that so the result will not give a true indication of the relative strength of our lists.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Sheil is a good player but has plateaued after his shoulder injuries and doesnt seem to have the impact on games he did. Personally I wouldnt be giving up pick 3 for him, however he would be a good addition to our midfield.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
congorozides
Club Player

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-15/g ... -melbourne

Speculation that Shiel - who played his Under 18 footy with the Dandenong Stingrays - would entertain a return to Victoria has been mounting in recent weeks, possibly in a deal involving Carlton and their (likely) No.1 draft pick.

Shiel, though, insists he's happy at the Giants and won't be going anywhere.

"I can rule that out. I haven't spoken to any clubs about that," Shiel said on Triple M on Sunday.

"Unless the Giants are exploring flicking me at the end of the year… at this stage I'm pretty happy up here and I'm contracted until the end of next year. I'm enjoying my time up here and I haven't looked at any options to leave at the end of this year."

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Tue 26 Jun 2018 6:59pm We are too dumb for this
Besides, if Blues have pick 1 ......this is what you can do with it in bargaining .....that’s the power of an early selection

But no, let’s try finish mid table so we can revel in a few cheap wins pretending it’s developing our psyche

Muppets everywhere
Yep, we should be smart like Carlton and bottom out for 15 years!!!!! Look how well they have done from so many first round picks, they are geniuses aren't they?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 27 Jun 2018 11:34am Sheil is a good player but has plateaued after his shoulder injuries and doesnt seem to have the impact on games he did. Personally I wouldnt be giving up pick 3 for him, however he would be a good addition to our midfield.
Disagree, I go to at least 5 GWS home games per season. I'd give up pick 3 and then some to get him. Absolute jet, doing the heavy inside lifting at GWS, has not plateaued at all IMO.

#3 is a steal, GWS would want more, tough inside outside ball winning hard running gun.

Better than and more upside than any mid on our list at the moment, Jack Steven included.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 16 Jul 2018 3:56pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 27 Jun 2018 11:34am Sheil is a good player but has plateaued after his shoulder injuries and doesnt seem to have the impact on games he did. Personally I wouldnt be giving up pick 3 for him, however he would be a good addition to our midfield.
Disagree, I go to at least 5 GWS home games per season. I'd give up pick 3 and then some to get him. Absolute jet, doing the heavy inside lifting at GWS, has not plateaued at all IMO.

#3 is a steal, GWS would want more, tough inside outside ball winning hard running gun.

Better than and more upside than any mid on our list at the moment, Jack Steven included.
He has said he is not leaving Sydney so what we think is irrelevant.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote: Mon 16 Jul 2018 12:58pm
Teflon wrote: Tue 26 Jun 2018 6:59pm We are too dumb for this

Muppets everywhere
Yep, we should be smart like Carlton and bottom out for 15 years!!!!! Look how well they have done from so many first round picks, they are geniuses aren't they?
Yes, cause we have to do it exactly like Carlton ????
Whose the genius ?

“Yeah….nah””