In the mix vs Tigers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

In the mix vs Tigers

Get them in: Blake Acres had 24 disposals and nine tackles in his second game back from a groin issue for Sandringham. Nathan Freeman has played five successive VFL games, and collected 23 disposals against Geelong. Meanwhile, draftee Ben Paton put in another impressive performance, with 20 disposals, 14 tackles and two goals.

Under the pump: Hunter Clark and Jack Lonie were relatively quiet against Carlton.

Medical room: Defender Jimmy Webster could miss with a right groin injury, but at the other end of the ground Josh Battle is fit after suffering a fractured right eye socket. Seb Ross will return from gastro.

Verdict: Acres, Ross and Battle in for Clark, Webster and Lonie. - Dinny Navaratnam

Have to agree with Dinny. I think Clark needs a rest. He has had a good 1st year and gained lots of experience. Wouldn't mind seeing Freeman in, but I think he might make a debut against the Giants or the week after against the Dogs at Etihad. Paton will surely debut soon also. He is a good prospect and one of the better draftees coming through from the last few drafts.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: In the mix vs Tigers

Dinny, the whisperer...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote: Tue 17 Jul 2018 3:14pm Dinny, the whisperer...
Reported for baiting.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Tue 17 Jul 2018 3:22pm
SaintPav wrote: Tue 17 Jul 2018 3:14pm Dinny, the whisperer...
Reported for baiting.
Are you Dinny, deepthroat?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bergsone
SS Life Member

Imo Lonie was ok against blues,so i think he will stay in.Acres for Weller is a must.Just dont know about Carlise,and Webster injuries tho

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

bergsone wrote: Tue 17 Jul 2018 4:39pm Imo Lonie was ok against blues,so i think he will stay in.Acres for Weller is a must.Just dont know about Carlise,and Webster injuries tho
Lonie and Weller might be nervous. Big Jake might not come up too. Interesting selections this week.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Reckon it's a tall order asking Freeman to debut against the best team in the comp, even tougher if he's asked to line up against Dusty.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Weller and Lonie out.

Acres in, for sure, but he will be flat still.
Battle... It makes for an interesting forward setup. Straight in.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintbob
SS Life Member

Lonie, Weller and Webster out

Acres, Ross and Paton in

Battle for Carlisle, if big Jake doesn’t come up.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Apparently the 'blueprint' for beating Richmond is to use a precision kicking game to inch the ball forward.

Using handball invites their 'forward pressure' whereas short kicking mitigates it. GWS were all over this apparently.

So I'd imagine that we will attempt something similar. As such, dudes that can kick will most likely be in the team I would have thought. Or....does Richo 'stick to his process' and try to match it with them in 'pressure' and being 'strong' (I still don't know what that even means)?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Wed 18 Jul 2018 9:03am Apparently the 'blueprint' for beating Richmond is to use a precision kicking game to inch the ball forward.

Using handball invites their 'forward pressure' whereas short kicking mitigates it. GWS were all over this apparently.

So I'd imagine that we will attempt something similar. As such, dudes that can kick will most likely be in the team I would have thought. Or....does Richo 'stick to his process' and try to match it with them in 'pressure' and being 'strong' (I still don't know what that even means)?

I'm guessing that Richos version of pressure is the same as Richmonds. Seems to work for them and was working really well for us up until about this time last year.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

if weller plays I will have lost total confidence in the club

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Wed 18 Jul 2018 10:19am
rodgerfox wrote: Wed 18 Jul 2018 9:03am Apparently the 'blueprint' for beating Richmond is to use a precision kicking game to inch the ball forward.

I'm guessing that Richos version of pressure is the same as Richmonds. Seems to work for them and was working really well for us up until about this time last year.
I disagree.

The pressure certainly helped the cause, but it was nowhere near enough to make us a genuine threat.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

There’s something wrong if Acres and Battle (if fit) can’t get a gig. I would have thought they’re two of our most promising young players.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Wed 18 Jul 2018 11:50am
Cairnsman wrote: Wed 18 Jul 2018 10:19am

I disagree.

The pressure certainly helped the cause, but it was nowhere near enough to make us a genuine threat.
Absolutely agree that our pressure this year hasn't been "strong" enough to make us a genuine threat, it's been pretty obvious, however aren't you then in agreement that Richo is trying to achieve the same thing that Hardwick already has, and that is 'pressure' being a core attribute of a successful game plan? It's probably the core goal for 18 teams and most coaches bang on about it every week ad nauseam, why should it be any different for Richo? It's a simple game.

I've heard some of the players in recent interviews cite pressure being the team's 'one wood' and that when they bring it to a game they are capable of mixing it with the best. All pretty obvious stuff really but the 'one wood' clearly has been left in the bag for most part of this season. When they pull it out we win a bit more.

Is it not the coaches job to keep the message simple, yes it's boring to keep hearing the same message, but hey as we know, it's scientifically proven that 3 word slogans work.

spiral3
Club Player

went to training, from match sim it didn't look there would be much change to starting 18.

Looks like Hickey, Gilbo, Lonie, Mav, Phillips, Carlisle staying in
Seb in, Hunter out?
Webster didn't train fully so ??
Jake trained fully
Battle trained fully, so ?
Acres trained, ?

Webster, White, Austin and Barclay Miller ran laps
Long seemed to do a fair bit of the session so coming good

Seems like a debutant is coming in, players had a huddle at far end of ground and a big cheer came out of the group, as though someone had some 'pleasing' news
Freezer I hope. Paton maybe?
Maybe one of the ITKs can shed light?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Yes and no.

From the grandstand, it appears that our idea of pressure is quite chaotic. No method to it.
In addition to that, it seemed that we neglected any offensive strategy at all. So much so, that in order to win we needed to dominate the opposition in order to generate enough Inside 50s to kick a winning score.

That's why we beat up s*** teams, and were beaten up by good ones.

Historically, the best teams bring the most pressure - however it's not manic. It's measured, calculated and has a system to it.

I don't think it was a lack of pressure and effort that killed us in the first half of this year, I think it was the lack of offensive strategy and system.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Wed 18 Jul 2018 12:42pm There’s something wrong if Acres and Battle (if fit) can’t get a gig. I would have thought they’re two of our most promising young players.
Absolutely...if Mav and Lonie stay in and they are out it is BS!
Still cannot see what Mav does to retain a spot...someone enlighten me.

Nee!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

The only issue I can see for Acres, Freeman and Paton coming into the team is that they'll be off a 5 day break in the VFL (from last Sunday). All 3 played the entire game too - Acres for one, wasn't managed against Geelong in the manner he was the week before.

Go you red, black & white warriors
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Can't bring Acres back, he needs at least another month in the reserves with all that talent rotting away as the offers from other clubs flood in.

Much better off leaving the likes of Weller in, his bicep flexes on the wing are invaluable according to our panel upstairs

Bring back the Lockett era
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Mav brings 'pressure'!! He's 'strong'!! (whatever that means)

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The Club's vision: play promising young guys that are physically large. ARs vision: Lonie is due for a breakout game any week now; Mav is a younger me but has a better coach. What are the names of those tall and/or fast chaps that play for Zanderingham, is that how you pronounce it. Blair Akers has been away for a while, what's he been up to? Didn't he play ruck, we need a ruck.
Hardwick's vision: Rance is going to get bored Friday night, I'll send him to MOMA Saturday. Dustin is going to break Shane's breast bone with one of his fends, what's my duty of care there.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Wed 18 Jul 2018 1:39pm Yes and no.

From the grandstand, it appears that our idea of pressure is quite chaotic. No method to it.
In addition to that, it seemed that we neglected any offensive strategy at all. So much so, that in order to win we needed to dominate the opposition in order to generate enough Inside 50s to kick a winning score.

Historically, the best teams bring the most pressure - however it's not manic. It's measured, calculated and has a system to it.

I don't think it was a lack of pressure and effort that killed us in the first half of this year, I think it was the lack of offensive strategy and system.

Doesn't effort equal pressure?, I'd argue yes and there have been games this year where we have lacked both, especially when a team has got a run on and we've lacked someone to roll up the sleeves to arrest the surge, the North game is probably exhibit A, the players previously could rely on Roo to lead the way in that regard.

So if the one wood is pressure what's the back up club? Is it the quick transition out of defense to create a scoring opportunity? Isn't that Richos offensive strategy and system? Don't you need both clubs to play the hole?

Quick entry into F50 and the pressure game seemed to work really well against Melbourne and for good chunks of the 16 and 17 season. I don't think that part of Richo's game plan is unique.

So what has changed in 2018?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The other reason why the offensive strategy probably also worked so well in the Melbourne game was because we had 3 key targets working cohesively and exploiting the quick entry into F50

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Wed 18 Jul 2018 9:36pm
rodgerfox wrote: Wed 18 Jul 2018 1:39pm Yes and no.

Doesn't effort equal pressure?, I'd argue yes and there have been games this year where we have lacked both, especially when a team has got a run on and we've lacked someone to roll up the sleeves to arrest the surge, the North game is probably exhibit A, the players previously could rely on Roo to lead the way in that regard.

So if the one wood is pressure what's the back up club? Is it the quick transition out of defense to create a scoring opportunity? Isn't that Richos offensive strategy and system? Don't you need both clubs to play the hole?

Quick entry into F50 and the pressure game seemed to work really well against Melbourne and for good chunks of the 16 and 17 season. I don't think that part of Richo's game plan is unique.

So what has changed in 2018?
Effort is nowhere near enough.

And that's the worry many Saints fans have - is 'effort' all Richo brings to the table?