According to Richo we may look for an Experience leader

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: According to Richo we may look for an Experience leader

If we assume Richos comments were calculated to send a message or throw down a challenge to his 50 to 100 gamers, then if the feeling is betrayal by those players then isn't Richo right in his claims of needing to outsource more leadership?

Good leaders aren't precious, they are accountable and welcome honest feedback.

The players have got the remainder of the season to establish thier credentials.

I reckon Jack Streele might be a bolter.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote: Tue 17 Jul 2018 2:08pm If we assume Richos comments were calculated to send a message or throw down a challenge to his 50 to 100 gamers, then if the feeling is betrayal by those players then isn't Richo right in his claims of needing to outsource more leadership?

Good leaders aren't precious, they are accountable and welcome honest feedback.

The players have got the remainder of the season to establish thier credentials.

I reckon Jack Streele might be a bolter.
Exactly. Supporters are twisting Richo's words into their own due to their personal dislike of him. There is also nothing wrong with identifying an issue in the list and trying to rectify it for next year. As the season has progressed, the review by the club has identified a senior leadership hole at the moment so to speak. Richo obviously agrees and that is great he accepts that.

Blinkered hate of someone leads to distorted reality for that individual.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I heard a whisper from a mate who reads a secret website that we’re in the mix to be in the mix.

I think it’s called afl.com.

🤫 but

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Tue 17 Jul 2018 9:03am St Byron have you added a little mayo to T74s post, if my memory serves me well he only said confidence was the issue, didn't mention skills, needs checking for accuracy because it changes the context completely.

"You don't lose talent, only confidnence"

I think you'll find that was the context of T74s post.
Hey Cairnsman. Good to see you back posting. The quote from T74 I posted in this thread is word for word. I just searched it and copy pasted. He said, “what is fundamentally wrong is the skill level and confidence”. You could read that as saying confidence is the primary issue, but to me it reads more clearly as a direct criticism of the players’ lack of skill.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully that experienced leader is to replace himself, asap

Bring back the Lockett era
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Thu 19 Jul 2018 7:42pm
Cairnsman wrote: Tue 17 Jul 2018 9:03am St Byron have you added a little mayo to T74s post, if my memory serves me well he only said confidence was the issue, didn't mention skills, needs checking for accuracy because it changes the context completely.

"You don't lose talent, only confidnence"

I think you'll find that was the context of T74s post.
Hey Cairnsman. Good to see you back posting. The quote from T74 I posted in this thread is word for word. I just searched it and copy pasted. He said, “what is fundamentally wrong is the skill level and confidence”. You could read that as saying confidence is the primary issue, but to me it reads more clearly as a direct criticism of the players’ lack of skill.
Hi SB, long time, so I went back and re read T74s post, wasn't that painful, he clearly was hurting after that game.

Anyway I still think you are adding a little mayo. His wording was verbatim as follows: skills/confindence, the slash makes us both a little wrong and a little right in trying to interperate the conext of that part of T74s post. 8-)

If you are in the sack Richo camp you might want to believe T74 was saying the players are without skill because of the coach.

If you aren't in the 'sky is falling' camp then you might believe T74 was saying the players were struggling with confidence and as such were making skill eras. And in the context of T74s whole post, he seemed like he was just asking a question, will either come back.

Maybe T74 can give us an update on his thoughts regarding the players skills and confidence.
Last edited by Cairnsman on Fri 20 Jul 2018 9:58am, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Richo has been making these dog whistles all season.
Implying blame on the playing group to save his own skin.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I am the coach. I outline and teach the gameplan. I am responsible for development of leaders and development of individuals. I am responsible for development of young players and improving their skills and building their confidence. I select the team

You with me so far?

Ok, so let's go back to rounds 2, 3 and 4 and just revisist what happened and you'll see that T74's post was a cop out and the party line was designed to shift blame away from Richo

There are several examples. Exhibit 1/ Armo selected in front of Dunstan in the Lions and North Melbourne games. 2/ Game plan flawed and completely overhauled. 3/ Longer apparantly playing injured in rounds 1 and 2 so gets dropped but once fit enough fails to replace Hickey from the side and the Rowan Marshall/Hickey combination has only come about accidently due to injuries to key forwards rather than being tried as a long term solution from the get go. 4/ Richo says his players lack skill and confidence. 5/ Richo says we may look for an experienced leader

Team selection has been awful at times with some simple mistakes including Steele getting dropped, Gilbo only coming in due to poor form from the team and some early injuries. if Gilbo is on your playing list and he's fit you would HAVE to play him in round 1 and 2 if you THINK we are pushing for a finals spot in 2018. Not only is he one of your hardest players but he is also THE most experienced on your list. Everyone knows and you now admit that we need leadership!! Now that finals is out of the question, he reckons young blokes need to rip it up in the magoos and he'll keep playing guys like Gilbo....FMD
Last edited by Scollop on Fri 20 Jul 2018 11:26am, edited 1 time in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Please don't give richo license to procure more mature journeymen that he'll pick every single week despite struggling to make any meaningful impact on the game each week.

Being over 25 doesn't make you a good leader… or footballer for that matter.

Richo's preferred side for round one had 13 mature blokes playing:

Steven, Ross, Roberton, Geary, Savage, Newnes, Membrey, Stevens, Webster, Armitage, Bruce, Carlisle, Brown. On top of this, Weller and Gilbert are picked most weeks when available.

The problem is half of them are just average, we don't need more of that in the side.

If we really need an experienced leader then we also need a new captain.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Isn't funny how this time last year, after comprehensively belting the Tiges the club was being lauded for how talented its list was, how most pundits were surprised at how quickly the the rebuild had developed, how the club had done so well in trades, especially the Hawks first DP. How the club was going to strengthen the list with two first rounders, which obviously was 7 and 8, and both picks look like they have.

So doesn't the saying, "you don't lose your talent" apply to St Kilda?

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote: Fri 20 Jul 2018 4:22pm Isn't funny how this time last year, after comprehensively belting the Tiges the club was being lauded for how talented its list was, how most pundits were surprised at how quickly the the rebuild had developed, how the club had done so well in trades, especially the Hawks first DP. How the club was going to strengthen the list with two first rounders, which obviously was 7 and 8, and both picks look like they have.

So doesn't the saying, "you don't lose your talent" apply to St Kilda?
Good post Cairnsman. We will bounce back with a real vengeance next year. Easier draw, new system, another pre-season under the belt of the younger brigade, new assistants, 2nd year at Moorabbin and hopefully a couple of pickups in new players.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

We should target Roughead from the Hawks at season's end. Hawks have shown that they are willing to let a champ go that is near the end of their career. He is out of contract at season's end.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

mohannair wrote: Mon 16 Jul 2018 7:05pm Listened to Richo on Crunch Time on SEN and he admitted that he under estimated the vacuum crated by the lack of Leadership due to the departure of Roey, Joey and Dempster.
He went on to add the effect of Hodgey on the Lions and mentioned that we may look for an Experienced leader to be added to our list for 2019.

Jarred McVeigh comes to my mind who will be a great pick if we can land him.

Any other thoughts?
BUMP

****The posts above are from July 2018****

Even though Lethlean get's the blame for the recruitment of Hannebery, maybe it's really Richo we should be angry with. Cho put it out there and Mr Lethlean went searching for a target. The CEO and the board rubber stamped the deal so they are just as much to blame as Lethlean

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 01 Jun 2021 3:17am
mohannair wrote: Mon 16 Jul 2018 7:05pm Listened to Richo on Crunch Time on SEN and he admitted that he under estimated the vacuum crated by the lack of Leadership due to the departure of Roey, Joey and Dempster.
He went on to add the effect of Hodgey on the Lions and mentioned that we may look for an Experienced leader to be added to our list for 2019.

Any other thoughts?
BUMP

Even though Lethlean get's the blame for the recruitment of Hannebery, maybe it's really Richo we should be angry with. Cho put it out there and Mr Lethlean went searching for a target. The CEO and the board rubber stamped the deal so they are just as much to blame as Lethlean
Both men did what professional managers do, they identified a problem and developed a solution. However as we now know in hindsight, another problem was created due to the player recruited and his physical limitations. It was a gamble and sometimes gambles pay off. Clearly this one hasn't. Was worth a crack because at the time no one wanted to come to the Saints.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 01 Jun 2021 8:29am
Scollop wrote: Tue 01 Jun 2021 3:17am

Any other thoughts?
BUMP

Both men did what professional managers do, they identified a problem and developed a solution. However as we now know in hindsight, another problem was created due to the player recruited and his physical limitations. It was a gamble and sometimes gambles pay off. Clearly this one hasn't. Was worth a crack because at the time no one wanted to come to the Saints.
The way the team is going nowadays, and the lack of depth, means the Saints may find it hard to attract good quality players, or maybe they just can't afford them, too many
superannuants already.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?