A low point

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

A low point

Has there ever been a lower point for our club? I can’t recall a time in my 30 odd years where we have been so low yet have such little hope..? We are bottom of the ladder, no bright sparks of young talent to speak of, no superstars to idolise and seemingly stuck with a useless coach for another 12-24 months. We have a declining membership in a dog eat dog business and no knights in shining armo stepping in to save us from this abortion of an administration

Where is the ticket? Where is the sacking? Where is the the light at the end of the tunnel and when will the tortue of barracking for this club finally subside?

#1 Ryder fan
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: A low point

We were tanking.

Get lower draft picks.

It's that simple.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

bulls***

#1 Ryder fan
carn_sainter
Club Player

My problem is that the club just seems like a big marketing department full of mercenaries.

It seems like there is nobody there who actually cares about the place. It's about time somebody came out and said that we are disgracing what the club stands for instead of trying to act all positive, like everything is fine, like there is more to sell.

There is no urgency, no grit, no ticker - top to bottom.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

We are just s*** at the moment. That was one of the most disgraceful efforts I have EVER seen. Well done to Ross and Freeman though and a couple of others.

Lethers really needs to clean house even more than he intended. Time to get rid of some average players that won't get any better either.

Sorry, love Richo, but he has to go. Game over now. Things need to change. We don't have a choice anymore.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
kaos theory
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sat 04 Aug 2018 11:40pm We were tanking.

Get lower draft picks.

It's that simple.
What use are draft picks with the rabble of a coaching and administration department running our club? Whoever the player is, he will lose his abilities and sink into mediocrity., along with the rest of the team.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

All hail lethers... what a sweet job.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Sat 04 Aug 2018 11:57pm All hail lethers... what a sweet job.
Why does he call him Lethers like their mates? Probably never even met him.

Weird.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintkid
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote: Sat 04 Aug 2018 11:55pm We are just s*** at the moment. That was one of the most disgraceful efforts I have EVER seen. Well done to Ross and Freeman though and a couple of others.

Lethers really needs to clean house even more than he intended. Time to get rid of some average players that won't get any better either.

Sorry, love Richo, but he has to go. Game over now. Things need to change. We don't have a choice anymore.
Glad to see you have finally seen the light by calling a spade a spade. The coach is a joke, the administration is a farce and the list needs a massive clean up. Tonight was nothing short of disgraceful.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Driving home from the game, on SEN Frawley called it our worst defeat of the season. There have been some shockers and this one's up there. It didn't start out that way, but you saw the warning signs late in the first.

Losing Battle upset our structure and then Hickey's injury in the second disrupted things. If the Bulldogs had slowly wrestled theIr way back from there and won in a tight one, I could've lived with that. However we utterly capitulated against an ordinary team that were asking to be belted.

Was I seeing things, or was Armitage playing half back? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't see Armo in at one centre bounce and to me he appeared to be playing half back, WTF

Then Carlisle is moved forward, probably a good move, except it lasted about 40 seconds.

There may be uncertainty about where our List is at, however its better than a 4 to 5 win a season list, far better.

I hope the Club are having a good look at the Coach. That he is judged not on the length of his contract, but his performance and ability.

I expect that we are not merely copying Richmond (2016) or planning to return a favorite son as a messiah.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ever since our Club Officials and Coaches failed to back up our players after Murphhygate, last year against the Blues, we have been a rabble

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Leo.J
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 3:54am Ever since our Club Officials and Coaches failed to back up our players after Murphhygate, last year against the Blues, we have been a rabble
Agreed

groupie1
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 3:54am Ever since our Club Officials and Coaches failed to back up our players after Murphhygate, last year against the Blues, we have been a rabble
What? I don't know what this means.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Tommyj
Club Player

I hate going to work anyone who would bag us I would lose it and back us to the hilt Well it seems the players don't give a rats I've lost my passion for this club never thought I would feel like this

Schillaci
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote: Sat 04 Aug 2018 11:37pm Has there ever been a lower point for our club? I can’t recall a time in my 30 odd years where we have been so low yet have such little hope..?
The 1980s were worse.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Agree with the OP and mentioned this myself numerous times this season.

I recall in previous years when we finished bottom there was some bright young talents that just had to mature. You could always see there were potential future AAs or at least A grade talent there that we could build a team around.

I see a team of B graders. A couple of guys who might just get to A grade. Carlisle is A grade but in a crap team like ours he doesn’t always look A grade. Jack Steven is maybe A- at best.

Maybe Clark, maybe Coffield. But we’ve seen this before with Dunstan, Billings, Acres, and even Lonie showing great promise in their first year and then never really rising above that level. In Lonies case he even went backwards after year 1.

I can’t belive we are hanging our hopes on
Lethlean to turn this club around. An administrator for goodness sake - not a bunch of young players, not coaching staff. We are seriously rooted. I’ve been a continuous paid up member for over 20 years and for the first time I’m thinking of not renewing.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 12:57am
parkeysainter wrote: Sat 04 Aug 2018 11:55pm We are just s*** at the moment. That was one of the most disgraceful efforts I have EVER seen. Well done to Ross and Freeman though and a couple of others.

Glad to see you have finally seen the light by calling a spade a spade. The coach is a joke, the administration is a farce and the list needs a massive clean up. Tonight was nothing short of disgraceful.
Plus one on all counts. Can someone clear up for me...is Richardson contracted until the end of 2019 or 2020?

axcellence
Club Player

Zed wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 7:20am

Lethlean to turn this club around. An administrator for goodness sake - not a bunch of young players, not coaching staff. We are seriously rooted. I’ve been a continuous paid up member for over 20 years and for the first time I’m thinking of not renewing.
Coaching is so overrated. In the end, it's the 18/22 players who go on the ground and move the ball.

It's not like Riewoldt was getting in AA squads because of Richo's coaching.

Some coaches get the best of their charges though and that's what they get paid for.

But, it never helps when
- bring in average talent
- the so called coach has no idea of the impact of losing Riewoldt/Montagna and has a lot of pliant deputies (ie yes men/women)
- the management is more worried about saving their hides

Rooted to the core.

Didn't renew this year after 15 odd years on after Roo left and in hindsight it's one of the better decisions I made.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

axcellence wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 8:31am
Zed wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 7:20am

Coaching is so overrated. In the end, it's the 18/22 players who go on the ground and move the ball.

It's not like Riewoldt was getting in AA squads because of Richo's coaching.

Some coaches get the best of their charges though and that's what they get paid for.

But, it never helps when
- bring in average talent
- the so called coach has no idea of the impact of losing Riewoldt/Montagna and has a lot of pliant deputies (ie yes men/women)
- the management is more worried about saving their hides

Rooted to the core.

Didn't renew this year after 15 odd years on after Roo left and in hindsight it's one of the better decisions I made.
Blaming the players?????

Hinkley, whilst talking about the Crows’ goal that wasn’t :

“The score review is there to make sure this sort of thing does not happen, and it continues to fail. Someone should be accountable for that because I am accountable for winning and losing.”

There you have it. The coach is accountable for winning and losing. Five years. 107 games, 37 wins, 70 losses.

saint6709
Club Player

Horrible -took my 13 yr old - we moved to Sydney 7 years ago and for live matches he has only seen us getting beaten by Sydney sides in that time - he has stuck fat and is big fan - chose this match to hopefully see a win - now on the bus to the airport - we were both pretty devo’d - they had better improve next year - that was garbage

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Why do people keep saying the list is “better than this”
Lol. It is not! This bunch of players are extrodinarily vanilla
In fact no it’s worse than that. Face facts. There is not even close to the talent there to even approach finals.
It’s a total embarrassment and that’s why fans are staying away in droves,including me. Seriously who would leave their lounge room last night to watch that sub standard s*** dishes up? These losers get paid how much???!!
You have to laugh,the club and everyone involved from the top down are a cringey embarrassing spineless joke. Ask any opposition supporter I dare ya...

Crossy66
Club Player

I would have preferred to see the Saints stick with Richo, he's a quality person and has footy smarts. But it feels like watching someone on life support at the moment, everyone knows where it will end up, its just a case of when.
Football clubs are in the business of selling hope to attract fans and members and if for that reason only, a change of coach and direction is a necessity. I also think a change is necessary to sell to FA's - bit like the Blight era.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Serious?
There is no Smarts about Richardson !
I don’t think he is very smart at all,football or otherwise.

Crossy66
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 9:19am Serious?
There is no Smarts about Richardson !
I don’t think he is very smart at all,football or otherwise.
Yep, serious.
Has been a career coach / player across a number of clubs for around 40 years and is well respected, so you require some footy smarts to do that.
I think been a senior coach requires more than just footy smarts though.

Club Player

It’s time to get some St Kilda people involved at the club. For years we have put in place AFL career people such as Finnis, Bains, Lethlean and even our coaches in Richardson and Watters.
The fact is none of these people really care about St Kilda the club. They are there to do a job and progress their careers.
Would love to see some St Kilda people back at the club.
Love him or hate him, Grant Thomas turned the club around from a similar predicament because he generally cared about the club.
Until then we are stuck with a club who’s proudest achievement this year was having gender neutral toilets at our Pride Game.