Freeman’s performance tonight

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Freeman’s performance tonight

Not outstanding but what you would expect for his first game.

Possessions wise did pretty well for a first gamer with 12 handballs and 7 kicks.

I saw him call for the ball a couple of times when he was out of position. It will take some time for his teammates to have confidence in him which is to be expected.

Didn't see any run and carry or explosive pace but I may have missed it.

He’s obviously a work in progress and its still early but what did other people think?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Freeman’s performance tonight

How could anyone tell after that debacle?

“Yeah….nah””
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Pretty much the same sort of game that he was playing at Sandy, a lot of in and under work but not a lot of run and spread. He still is yet to show that he can run hard into space, but it was as good a game as you could expect for a first gamer

David-Lee
Club Player

Well, not flash. He showed absolutely no outside burst speed that he used to have. But least we forget the last time I saw that speed it was on highlight reels before the draft.

He is a fighter and that's special so if he gets a game for the rest of the year maybe he will grow in confidence - he seemed quite reasonable but not in risk taking hamstring stretching game changing mode. He might have it still, he has never shown it at vfl or AFL level.

Playing for Vic his teammate Billings often looked and kicked poorly but Freeman burst out packs, crumbled the ball and ran off defenders, sat right off the pack getting handball and bursting to the centre half forward then pin point kicking to forwards and hitting them dead on target. Based on those games I was shocked he didnt go top 5-10.
5 years of injury and recovery seems a full season would only be fair to judge him but tonight was average in a team of could be's.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Looked every bit a debutant, with rushed disposal and a little bit of “headless chook” running, but showed he has something to work with....

Getting your hands on the footy is half the battle, 19 touches with just over 50% TOG is really good, extending that out to 70 or 80 % and then improving the impact of those possessions is what needs to come next, and will determine if he plays 30 games or 150 (injuries aside).

Overall, probably as good as could have been expected.

groupie1
Club Player

His disposal was good, overall

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

An OK debut but nothing spectacular. He was a bit shorter than I expected, but reasonably solidly built. He ran to some in-between positions at times, then got himself in the mix a few times. He appeared reasonably composed if not a bit conservative. We didn't see any blistering pace or any attempt to break lines. As a comparison, I'd say his game yesterday was about as spectacular as Newnes or Coffield. I'm hoping he gets a few more opportunities and that he still has some of that explosive pace he's supposed to have.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 10:34am An OK debut but nothing spectacular. He was a bit shorter than I expected, but reasonably solidly built. He ran to some in-between positions at times, then got himself in the mix a few times. He appeared reasonably composed if not a bit conservative. We didn't see any blistering pace or any attempt to break lines. As a comparison, I'd say his game yesterday was about as spectacular as Newnes or Coffield. I'm hoping he gets a few more opportunities and that he still has some of that explosive pace he's supposed to have.
I thought Freeman played Ok with a bit of poise in his disposals compared to some more experienced team mates- not a big game, but I hope dumbo doesn't drop him next week. Coffield looked really out of his depth, and Newnes is a disappointment- lost the fire in his belly that he once had.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Due to injuries he has lost some pace. I think Richo should have put him in the centre rather than the wing at least on occasion as he has fast hands a la Tom Mitchell.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Coffield looks fairly poor for a top ten pick. Les pray some new assistants can direct him and next year he shows something more. Hunter is way ahead of him at this stage.

If fkn Newnes can play over 100 games of safe, steady and unremarkable footy then Freezer has a chance with us.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 10:40am
Toy Saint wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 10:34am An OK debut but nothing spectacular. He was a bit shorter than I expected, but reasonably solidly built. He ran to some in-between positions at times, then got himself in the mix a few times. He appeared reasonably composed if not a bit conservative. We didn't see any blistering pace or any attempt to break lines. As a comparison, I'd say his game yesterday was about as spectacular as Newnes or Coffield. I'm hoping he gets a few more opportunities and that he still has some of that explosive pace he's supposed to have.
I thought Freeman played Ok with a bit of poise in his disposals compared to some more experienced team mates- not a big game, but I hope dumbo doesn't drop him next week. Coffield looked really out of his depth, and Newnes is a disappointment- lost the fire in his belly that he once had.
Agree with you there. No comparison between Freeman and the other two who had poor games.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 10:48am Coffield looks fairly poor for a top ten pick. Les pray some new assistants can direct him and next year he shows something more. Hunter is way ahead of him at this stage.

If fkn Newnes can play over 100 games of safe, steady and unremarkable footy then Freezer has a chance with us.
Oh FFS the kid has played 10 games in a team that has absolutely no on field leadership. He would be a very good player if he was surrounded by decent leaders who could show the way, but unfortunately our young blokes are thrown to the wolves

Moods
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 11:57am
saintspremiers wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 10:48am Coffield looks fairly poor for a top ten pick. Les pray some new assistants can direct him and next year he shows something more. Hunter is way ahead of him at this stage.

Oh FFS the kid has played 10 games in a team that has absolutely no on field leadership. He would be a very good player if he was surrounded by decent leaders who could show the way, but unfortunately our young blokes are thrown to the wolves

Just another excuse for our young players. I watched both Coffield and Clarke carefully. Not sure what the fuss is about so far. Plenty of young players have blossomed in poor teams before.

They simply aren’t as good as what we bang on about.
Last edited by Moods on Sun 05 Aug 2018 2:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 11:57am

Surely Geary will be replaced as Captain at year's end. He's not inspirational he's outspirational. Very very ordinary footballer.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
derby Street
Club Player

Agree 100% about Coffield - a lot of leeway to make up to become even half decent. Hopefully Hunter can continue to improve. Geez we have loked slow (All year)

derby Street
Club Player

Agree 100% about Coffield - a lot of leeway to make up to become even half decent. Hopefully Hunter can continue to improve. Geez we have loked slow (All year)

older saint
SS Life Member

Looked like a 1st gamer, which many forget due to age.

Clarke, Coffield need to be given time not 6 -10 games to make judgment calls on whether good or bad picks. Been plenty of guys who were stand out players in year 1 ( usually players referred to as Man Child) ala Daniel rich who after 3-4 year stagnate while other take time accumulate strength , size and experience and become much better players than the young standout. Very few do both and if they do are generally considered Stars of the game - Judd, Riewoldt.
Crickey the best backman in the game at the moment was an absolute Spud the first 3 years of his career

groupie1
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 10:47am Due to injuries he has lost some pace. I think Richo should have put him in the centre rather than the wing at least on occasion as he has fast hands a la Tom Mitchell.
Agreed - that seems to be the footballer he's turned into. Not bad, as he's a big bull of a kid, but still leaves us without the outside run we're desperate for. Is B Long an answer to this?

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga