This Admin, Management and Coach are Destroying St.Kilda F.C.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Re: This Admin, Management and Coach are Destroying St.Kilda F.C.

Our players may not be up to it.... we need everything to go right and it hasn’t this year.
Bontompelli would be just as developed (mentally) if he was playing for us - no matter who’s coaching him - he’s a credit to himself.
The coach may be more frustrated than we are.

Even with their injuries - the Bulldogs had a more balanced and skilled team - with plenty of run from their midfield. They have recruited better than we have, and they ran us ragged last night.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 1:19pm Our players may not be up to it.... we need everything to go right and it hasn’t this year.
Bontompelli would be just as developed (mentally) if he was playing for us - no matter who’s coaching him - he’s a credit to himself.

Even with their injuries - the Bulldogs had a more balanced team - with plenty of run from their midfield. They have recruited better than we have, and they ran us ragged last night.

Reckon that injuries have had some impact, but we’re not the only side impacted by injuries. I don’t understand casting around looking for reasons other than coaching, development and leadership for our malaise. Very long bow to say Bont would be the same player with us. To be honest, what you’re posting about injuries and things not going right just sound like lame excuses to me. It sounds like you’re saying, “it’s not really anyone’s fault, it’s just that things haven’t gone well for us”. That’s what I’m reading from your posts. And if that’s what you mean, then no-one is accountable.....Surely the head coach is accountable. If not him, then who?
Ken Hinkley seems to think so - from his presser last night - “The score review is there to make sure this sort of thing does not happen, and it continues to fail. Someone should be accountable for that because I am accountable for winning and losing.”

kaos theory
Club Player

samoht wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 1:19pm Our players may not be up to it.... we need everything to go right and it hasn’t this year.

Even with their injuries - the Bulldogs had a more balanced and skilled team - with plenty of run from their midfield. They have recruited better than we have, and they ran us ragged last night.
What?? this is idiotic?

So its all about the quality of draft picks? Using your logic, we don't need any coaches, development, training, game style or tactics at all! Think of the money we could save without a football dept....Just draft a bunch of kids and don't say anything or do anything with them, leave them on their own and magically they will win games and flags.

How has that model worked out for the Suns? They had a bunch of high draft picks and great talent on their list, but no culture or great support staff...

We had a strong culture and work ethic in the late 2000s..

This admin has destroyed that.

Summers, Finnis and Richo are a cancer on our club and they ALL need to go.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

When Roo walked out of the club so did our soul.

spert
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 12:16pm Our last two Presidents have been nice. Wasteaway and now "Winter is Coming" Summers. As they say, nice guys finish last.

Can we go back to someone who is focused on success, rather than worrying about if someone has had an extra glass of red.
Direct..lead... and be seen to be doing so. Sumner and his board of buffoons need to stand aside!

BenLong#21
Club Player

The coach has a big say in talent identification and who he backs to give games to.
The reality is the coach is a very poor judge of players and a very poor reader of trends in the game.
He is 5 years behind the times on game styles and he over rates some of our players terribly.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

samoht wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 1:02pm You missed the point, Teflon.
This year, we’ve also had a lot of injuries - including to players who are important to our structure.
We are logically not going to finish as high as we did last year?
...Did we have a much better coach last year?

It means you’re not taking into account our injuries - this is the critical factor, obviously - and the reason we’ve slumped from a mediocre/ average team to a bottom of the rung team.

We can’t expect things to stay the same, or improve, given our injuries. That would be illogical.
It’s not only the injuries, it’s the disruption to our team - when you don’t have a settled lineup.
Injuries have nothing to do with it. In fact injuries have been one of our few blessings this year, otherwise we wouldn't have got games into Clark, Coffield, Phillips, Rice , McKenzie, Austin, Marshall & Battle. Besides we had no significant injury problems early in the season.

The only injuries you could point to would be Longer & Hickey having disrupted preseasons. That probably stuffed our Ruck division. Yet despite that we've failed to have a look at Lewis Pierce whom we've kept on the List for 5 years.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I agree with the OP.

We are crap becasue of bad management decisions not bad luck ( the executive and managers hired the wrong people which has resulted in poor coaching and development ). It shouldn't just be players and recruiters and coaches judged on wins/losses.

Trout and some of our recruiters ( and of course the assistants who have been let go) are not the only people who should be replaced. The CEO and the board have failed and they also need to be accountable

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

kaos theory wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 1:52pm

What?? this is idiotic?

So its all about the quality of draft picks? Using your logic, we don't need any coaches, development, training, game style or tactics at all! Think of the money we could save without a football dept....Just draft a bunch of kids and don't say anything or do anything with them, leave them on their own and magically they will win games and flags.

How has that model worked out for the Suns? They had a bunch of high draft picks and great talent on their list, but no culture or great support staff...

I wasn’t going to post ... but I don’t want to be misquoted either (and I don’t appreciate the word “idiotic” - I try to respect everyone in this forum).
I’m not saying a coach or development is not needed. What I’m suggesting and stressing is we haven’t recruited well .. and that this is the crux of our problem - even with a full team to pick from we have less skilful players, relative to other teams, as well as a lack of run from our midfield - as a result of recruiting almost exclusively inside midfielders with average skills.
We have 10 inside midfielders, besides which none of them is outstanding - they are all average. A Fyfe and a Bontompelli are recruited, not made.
The main problem area is our recruiting! When our team was screaming out for outside run, they kept recruiting inside midfielders instead.
Why did Hawthorn recruit O’Meara and Mitchell if Clarkson is such a great coach?
Coaches can’t perform miracles.
Also consider this - Carlisle is playing his best and most consistent football with us, under Richo! - yes, under Richo!
As a result of our poor recruiting, we need a full team to choose from to have a remote chance of fielding a competitive side - - and this year we’ve been missing players like Roberton and Bruce, players that are important to structure. Hence where we are.
Sort out our poor recruiting and we sort out our problem ... our admin must ensure that this happens.
What I do blame our coach for is that he is reluctant to give young players a go - if it wasn’t for injuries, we probably would not have seen a fair few played. This is inexcusable.

kaos theory
Club Player

samoht wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 9:42am
kaos theory wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 1:52pm

What?? this is idiotic?

I wasn’t going to post ... but I don’t want to be misquoted either (and I don’t appreciate the word “idiotic” - I try to respect everyone in this forum).
I’m not saying a coach or development is not needed. What I’m suggesting and stressing is we haven’t recruited well .. and that this is the crux of our problem - even with a full team to pick from we have less skilful players, relative to other teams, as well as a lack of run from our midfield - as a result of recruiting almost exclusively inside midfielders with average skills.
We have 10 inside midfielders, besides which none of them is outstanding - they are all average. A Fyfe and a Bontompelli are recruited, not made.
The main problem area is our recruiting! When our team was screaming out for outside run, they kept recruiting inside midfielders instead.
Why did Hawthorn recruit O’Meara and Mitchell if Clarkson is such a great coach?
Coaches can’t perform miracles.
Also consider this - Carlisle is playing his best and most consistent football with us, under Richo! - yes, under Richo!
As a result of our poor recruiting, we need a full team to choose from to have a remote chance of fielding a competitive side - - and this year we’ve been missing players like Roberton and Bruce, players that are important to structure. Hence where we are.
Sort out our poor recruiting and we sort out our problem ... our admin must ensure that this happens.
What I do blame our coach for is that he is reluctant to give young players a go - if it wasn’t for injuries, we probably would not have seen a fair few played. This is inexcusable.
The 'idiotic' was clearly aimed at your comments, not you personally, your trying to twist my words.

Again, you fall back on the 'players are no good' argument, which is a convenient way to absolve Richo, his support staff and the management that fostered the environment for the last 7 years of any responsibility.

Sorry but i don't buy it one bit....

saintbob
SS Life Member

Apparently we are trying to get Andrew Bassat to run for Club President, according to Tom Brown on Talking Footy.

So maybe, just maybe some changes are really coming.

barneyboyz
Club Player

samoht wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 1:02pm You missed the point, Teflon.
This year, we’ve also had a lot of injuries - including to players who are important to our structure.
We are logically not going to finish as high as we did last year?
...Did we have a much better coach last year?

It means you’re not taking into account our injuries - this is the critical factor, obviously - and the reason we’ve slumped from a mediocre/ average team to a bottom of the rung team.

We can’t expect things to stay the same, or improve, given our injuries. That would be illogical.
It’s not only the injuries, it’s the disruption to our team - when you don’t have a settled lineup.
I do agree, and it's probably a bit in both camps here. Most teams that have the significant injuries that we have experienced, at least have strong leadership.

The Saints appear to not be able to make necessary changes in play or have a strong determination to push through. Having said that, there have been games this year where the opposite occurred (Melbourne and GWS), yes we nearly lost those games, but in the Melbourne game we had another level.

What happened this week, in my belief, was reflective of some lazy play by players like Carlisle. A couple of times (and it's been regular) he became 'casual' in his efforts. Ok, this is in isolation; however, he should have been dragged and spoken to. The coach was on the bench, so it could have been short and sweet.

Just on that, I don't like coaches on the bench. I understand this happens in local footy, but you can't watch the flow from that level in AFL, especially if half the group left up there aren't getting a contract???

The whole club has become lazy. Off field we are more interested in fulfilling personal or political agendas, and pandering to social media, but what really does our board and management stand for? It is time for change, from the top down to players, although I too feel that many of our young blokes will be gone without a fair crack at it.

Where's Warnie? or other such influential people that can make a difference with only the Saints at heart. I'll keep putting my money in (for now), but for Pete's sake, where are our leaders that bleed Red, White and Black? Like Hawthorn, Collingwood, Geelong and Co. Where?

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Tue 07 Aug 2018 1:35am Apparently we are trying to get Andrew Bassat to run for Club President, according to Tom Brown on Talking Footy.

So maybe, just maybe some changes are really coming.
Any credence this?

“Yeah….nah””