Newnes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Newnes

Hoping Newnes isn't getting dropped so his trade value doesn't take more of a hit. A team like GC might be willing to part with a third rounder for him.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Fri 10 Aug 2018 5:06am Hoping Newnes isn't getting dropped so his trade value doesn't take more of a hit. A team like GC might be willing to part with a third rounder for him.
Krusty would be devo if Newnes left. That’s if Krusty is with us still next year...

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintadamski
Club Player

Newnes selected yet again!
This defies any form of logic or reason.

Can we get a selection committee to select the selection committee?!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Fri 10 Aug 2018 5:06am Hoping Newnes isn't getting dropped so his trade value doesn't take more of a hit. A team like GC might be willing to part with a third rounder for him.
After all the media analysis and commentary from Cochrane this year, I think the Suns are just about done being the leagues potato farm...wouldn't rely on them being a willing dumping ground for our cast offs.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I don't really get all the hate for Newnes. Not that long ago he was one of my top three candidates for future skipper (along with Ross and Dunstan - and Dunstan now also fallen away badly). I get that he's had some poor games this season but not alone there. I've always thought in the past that he offered on-field leadership - he's often the first to notice if a player gets hurt, say, behind play so has those sort of leadership skills and presumably coaching staff see him as offering quite a bit of flexibility - he's played forward for reasonable returns and now named on the back line again, where he started.

What are the big complaints about him? Kicking? Turnovers? Decision-making? Or is it the couple of games where they changed his position and he made hardly any tackles? I still think he can be a good player for us. Has he really had more of a downturn than any other player this season?

takeaway
Club Player

I agree with Jaxons. They are generally playing him in the wrong position - he is a good hbf. They are trying to develop him into a utility forward/wing/back, part time mid, and we are trying Rice, Coffield, White, McKenzie etc as backs.
Newnes has played some good games this year, and kicked a few goals. With Long back in team we may see him more wing/back. As he has been moved around a fair bit the field this year, I don't think he has been anywhere near as poor as some make out.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I think after that bad head knock against Sydney some time ago a lot of wind was taken out of him and he was very brave at that time. Now Like a few: when they are good that's it, they are good/ok, but when they are bad they are horrid. We have too many - and it doesn't take many - that early in a game when chances come cannot his a target, hold the mark, make the right decision or kick the goal. When the game is pretty much gone they look reasonable. Its an insidious trait because our selector(s?) backs horses that make runs down the outside when the race is over but always miss a place. That's a way to go broke punting and to lose games. It is true he is generally good but not often enough now when it really counts and one trick ponies are a luxury we can't really afford. Been a really good servant of the club though and certainly not the worst on the list.

The Barometer
Club Player

3 possessions to half time. :roll: :roll:

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

10 so far.
MUST be dropped.

Rocket
Club Player

Why drop him when he has been “positive and pleasing”?!

We will get to work during the week and turn it around on the track.

older saint
SS Life Member

Surely he has played worse this year and not been dropped!
With Weller out injured you cant have a team without at least 1 of the teflon boys out there.

Really gone backwards as a player in the last 12 months - i believe because work effort has dropped because he knows he gets picked every week regardless of performance.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 9:18pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 8:38pm What a seriously lovely bunch you are, your positive outlook on life brightens the darkest night.

StKilda supporters? Seriously? Just suck it up and curb the abuse of our players and officials.
How’s pleasant ville?
:lol: :lol:

realdeal
Club Player

His continued selection this year has been a disgrace.

We were a young team last night but his form this year has been hdorrendous and its sent the wrong message to players and supporters alike as to minimim expectations.

CarlD
Club Player

His half-hearted "chase" as McDonald-Tipungwuti ran into goal was not a good example to set for the younger players. OK, the Bomber is quick but that is not a reason to stop trying to apply pressure.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 9:07pm Have to ask how he's gone backwards so far from 2016? He was primed to become elite but has instead become very average
Spent the preseason injured and has been playing with a shoulder all season.

CarlD
Club Player

gringo wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 2:21pm
Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 9:07pm Have to ask how he's gone backwards so far from 2016? He was primed to become elite but has instead become very average
Haven't the coaching staff learnt from their past mistakes playing injured players? Seems not.

BenLong#21
Club Player

And the coaches believe he is good enough to play injured at AFL level?

Even at his best he is average.

Coach's must over-rate him.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BenLong#21 wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 3:01pm
And the coaches believe he is good enough to play injured at AFL level?

Even at his best he is average.

Coach's must over-rate him.
http://www.hpnfooty.com/?p=30465

If you look at this rating he's still our fourth most valuable player. Don't know I believe it but he's our third highest goal scorer I think too. Actually scary and depressing at the same time.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Those HPN Player Values suggests our most valuable players in order as
Steven
Gresham
Ross
Newnes
Billings
Sinclair
Dunstan
Savage
Steele
Membrey
and...Hickey!?
Meanwhile our best player - Carlisle, lies down at half of most of them, below even McCartin & Weller.
Seems it rewards ball followers and goal kickers.
What is concerning is that Newnes has the largest margin of fall in value this year aside from Weller and those players out injured for much of the year.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
gringo
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 3:36pm Those HPN Player Values suggests our most valuable players in order as
Steven
Gresham
Ross
Newnes
Billings
Sinclair
Dunstan
Savage
Steele
Membrey
and...Hickey!?
Meanwhile our best player - Carlisle, lies down at half of most of them, below even McCartin & Weller.
What is concerning is that Newnes has the largest margin of fall in value this year aside from Weller and those players out injured for much of the year.

Carlisle is very valuable but he doesn't sit up in the lists of tall defenders in the player ratings. I think he sits at 10 in the tall defenders list and probably gets marked down compared to Rance and Mc Govern because he's more of a loose interceptor than a contested player.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 3:36pm Those HPN Player Values suggests our most valuable players in order as
Steven
Gresham
Ross
Newnes
Billings
Sinclair
Dunstan
Savage
Steele
Membrey
and...Hickey!?
Try the AFL rating system on afl.com.au

I think it's pretty fair and there's a link to explain how their rating system works.

http://www.afl.com.au/stats/player-rati ... -standings

Select 'Club' as St Kilda and that gives you all our players.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Fri 10 Aug 2018 10:21am I don't really get all the hate for Newnes. Not that long ago he was one of my top three candidates for future skipper (along with Ross and Dunstan - and Dunstan now also fallen away badly). I get that he's had some poor games this season but not alone there. I've always thought in the past that he offered on-field leadership - he's often the first to notice if a player gets hurt, say, behind play so has those sort of leadership skills and presumably coaching staff see him as offering quite a bit of flexibility - he's played forward for reasonable returns and now named on the back line again, where he started.

What are the big complaints about him? Kicking? Turnovers? Decision-making? Or is it the couple of games where they changed his position and he made hardly any tackles? I still think he can be a good player for us. Has he really had more of a downturn than any other player this season?
Newnes was always fairly mediocre but until last year he did at least show steady improvement. Last year he stalled badly and this year he's gone backwards on that form. He isn't winning much of the footy and he's butchering it when he does. His first 7 games yielded 4 tackles which is appalling for a player who also having very little offensive impact.

At his best Newnes is a vanilla but competent half back/wingman. At his worst he's a ball butchering utility with no physical presence which is what we've been treated to this season. He had a couple of handy games up forward but he's clearly not going to be a viable forward in the long term. Should have been dropped long ago

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Newnes is just one of our many GOPs or footsoldiers.

Every team has some. Bottom line is that we have too few stars and good players, and too many GOPs.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintadamski
Club Player

Newnes is no GOP
The word 'good' should be no where near his name.
If he isn't traded or delisted at season's end, then I have lost all faith in the decision making at the club, and shall be withdrawing my membership.
I urge all others to do the same, as it's the only power you have to sway the club.