Lethers: Our next Messiah or just a naughty boy?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

For a guy that has only just arrived at the club we seem to pinning all of our tattered hopes on him.

After a recent spate of false prophets in Bains, Trout, Pelchen, Summers, Westaway, Footy First etc will he really be the one to lead us our of the wilderness? I mean it is one thing sounding impressive, making promises etc, but can actually deliver good football decisions. Can he walk the talk?

It makes me really, REALLY, nervous that the job he has been task with in resurrecting our list is not one that he has any experience with except that he once was a Hawks Reserves player and played/coached VAFA.

That he apparently is the one with the most sway now in deciding who stays/goes/comes in terms of football talent (and coaches if the Board and CEO relent on who can be assessed, rather than muzzling him by having Richo on an untouchables list) is a high risk "Hail Mary" strategy.

I hope that the is amazing in assessing talent, including his ability to assess all the information that I assume the recruiting team and coaches are feeding him, as we at this point in time need some superb decision making.

We have to make changes to our list. Lethers is correct there. but the changes need to be in keeping with a proper overall rebuild strategy. It should not just be about trying to land a name to prop up membership sales for 2019. It also cannot just be churn for churn sake.

ie
---- if going for players of Hannebery age, then one is not enough. That is just treading water and window dressing.

I am sure that other clubs will be going over our list just now to work out who could be better players at their clubs looking for some fire-sale pick ups.

I desperately hope that players like Billings are not traded for bugga all.

Will Lethers be able to do some deals that improve our list without squandering what little assets we do have? We need both the right players, and the right deal. Gaining say Hannebery will mean little if we lose our best youth.

Now to be fair to Lethers our current state makes his task extremely hard. What quality FA would want to join us? What quality player would want to be traded to us. So Lethers will need to be a miracle worker as the odds are stacked against him

Yes Hannebery has been mentioned. But would his reason to join be us be not so much to come back to Victoria, but rather more to lock in a long-term deal for someone with a recent injury ravaged track record? Very good players are no good if they cannot play.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lethers: Our next Messiah or just a naughty boy?

Will be GORN at the first viable alternative to the Saints

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 1:05pm Will be GORN at the first viable alternative to the Saints
Maybe so. But it is what he achieves between now and Christmas that I am most interested in.

Some bad decisions in this period could make 2018 seem like a good year for the next few seasons.

Conversely some astute ones could see our resurrection begun.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Give the control to the people. We'll be pioneers, drafting, list management and team selection, done completely by a group of hard core genuine footy geeks, for no more than the love of the game/club. Wouldn't cost a cent, and would do a far superior job than the past decade saving the club a bucket load of cash in the process.

Yep a team of 10 online football geeks will run the show. Not just any fanboi, but a proven no life outside of football slob. Probably single, if not in a disconnected relationship. They must play fantasy, watch tac cup religiously and post all day on SS or big footy. No need wracking up massive fuel, accommodation and food bills, all done from the couch, Skype and online.

Seriously would these guys have selected paddy at pick one without even getting off the couch? No.
Would these guys play huff and puff Weller religiously despite fault at nauseum? No.
Would these guys given pleasing vanilla a two year extension last year? No

It would never happen, but it would work better than the current train wreck that over complicates everything and makes dumb decisions with zero common sense

Bring back the Lockett era
Leo.J
SS Life Member

If he can fix us, he’ll be able to name his price going forward.

BenLong#21
Club Player

Pinning your hopes on this <edited by mods> is a big mistake.

<warning for demeaning a Saints official>

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

BenLong#21 wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 2:25pm Pinning your hopes on this <edited by mods> is a big mistake.
Spot ON!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Another glorified pencil pusher.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
BenLong#21
Club Player

Gold Coast Saints.