Saints target Menzel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: Saints target Menzel

I was dead against this... till the article said how little the Hillbillies are paying Menzel. :shock:

We have heaps of cap space, and he won't cost us very much of that anyway. 'Petty cash' pretty much. He's only 26, and won't cost us a single draft pick either.

So do it Saintas. No cost, with quite a high potential upside. Do it.

Makes more sense than trying to pry loose a bloke with two more years on his contract, and dodgy groins.

Makes more sense than chasing an ordinary ruckman who'd be no upgrade on Hickey, and without the upside potential of Lou or the The Marshall. And if both Hickey and Billy end up being traded out, bring back Holmesy. (Should never have been cut in favour of Billy in the first place. :roll: )

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Hemi Baxter
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 8:38pm At least he can kick straight. f*** me, it seems Lethers is into everyone.

If he costs bugger all then he might be worth it. Injuries are an unknown though.

Might be better off targeting Fasolo who wants out IMO.
Fasolo? Rarely fit, a coward, selfish, clinically depressed, loves missing to the nearside Fasolo?

saintbob
SS Life Member

Another stop gap measure which won’t help us long term and it’s stinks of desperation from our coach trying to save his job, so no.

It’s starting to feel like RL is back at the helm with names being mentioned, anyone remember Pattison, Gamble and Polo.
Last edited by saintbob on Tue 14 Aug 2018 12:50am, edited 1 time in total.

james rose
Club Player

I also remember playing finals Saintbob...

saintbob
SS Life Member

james rose wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 12:11am I also remember playing finals Saintbob...
Yep, but at what cost???

You only need to look at our list in the years after RL left town.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Dave McNamara wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 11:25pm I was dead against this... till the article said how little the Hillbillies are paying Menzel. :shock:
Scott was on fox with AR least night and said the reported $ contract for menzells was well short of the mark
At the same time AR certainly didn't deny the rumours
Personally think at his age and 4 repeated knee recos his race is run - he is serviceable but let's aim higher

Seeya
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Menzel? Hanneberry? The rotten stench of desperation. Is this the best you can do, Lethlean?

CarlD
Club Player

The list of players the Saints are being linked to so far is generally underwhelming. I hope Mr. Lethlean is good with smokescreens and/or is devilishly clever in messing with other club's caps to shake loose our real targets.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Why wouldn’t we be in to Fasolo like Carlton if this is needed??? Collingwood highest goal kicker 2016 and nearly again a year later??

But no.....let’s pay overs for the guy with 4 knees....
Frk me

“Yeah….nah””
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

CarlD wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 9:18am The list of players the Saints are being linked to so far is generally underwhelming. I hope Mr. Lethlean is good with smokescreens and/or is devilishly clever in messing with other club's caps to shake loose our real targets.
I posed this question elsewhere, why so public? Is it the scattergun approach?
Are they genuine targets? Is it a strategy with a hidden agenda or ulterior motive?

Does anyone have any insight into why the club is making thier recruiting decisions so public?

suss
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 10:33am
CarlD wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 9:18am The list of players the Saints are being linked to so far is generally underwhelming. I hope Mr. Lethlean is good with smokescreens and/or is devilishly clever in messing with other club's caps to shake loose our real targets.
Are they genuine targets? Is it a strategy with a hidden agenda or ulterior motive?

Does anyone have any insight into why the club is making thier recruiting decisions so public?
I'm not sure that it's scattergun: Lethlean knows that we have little in the way of draft picks and that the only way we can improve the list without giving up much is through free agency. All of the players we're linked with bar Hannebury are free agents.

And I'm also not sure that we are making our strategy public; we're just not lying when we're asked the question of who we're hoping to get.

Bringing in Polec, Gaff and / or Lycett would make us a better team straight away.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 10:55am

I'm not sure that it's scattergun: Lethlean knows that we have little in the way of draft picks and that the only way we can improve the list without giving up much is through free agency. All of the players we're linked with bar Hannebury are free agents.

And I'm also not sure that we are making our strategy public; we're just not lying when we're asked the question of who we're hoping to get.

Bringing in Polec, Gaff and / or Lycett would make us a better team straight away.
Is there any blow back if none of the targetted players are secured? And what is plan B if that happens?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Not sure if Menzel is a good fit, but he's a classy footballer.

Has kicked 60 goals from his last 30 games.

In comparison - Mav has 16 goals from his past 30 and 58 career goals from 120+ games.

I remember this time last year people were turning their noses up at the thought of chasing Motlop and Rockliff (for free), suggesting we didn't need them… but both would slot into our best 22 comfortably.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Cairnsman wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 11:25am

Is there any blow back if none of the targetted players are secured? And what is plan B if that happens?
Move Carlisle forward.

Winmar7
Club Player

I wonder if Lethlean is taking a leaf out of Gil's playbook - float ideas publicly and then gauge the level of outrage (or support) before making a move...

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Hemi Baxter wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 11:25pm
parkeysainter wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 8:38pm At least he can kick straight. f*** me, it seems Lethers is into everyone.

If he costs bugger all then he might be worth it. Injuries are an unknown though.

Might be better off targeting Fasolo who wants out IMO.
Fasolo? Rarely fit, a coward, selfish, clinically depressed, loves missing to the nearside Fasolo?
Geez, you're a nice bloke. How games of AFL footy did you play?

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 9:42pm
parkeysainter wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 8:38pm . f*** me, it seems Lethers is into everyone.

That is not actually a good thing. So I hope that he is not.

North chase everyone and fail. We seem to have as well.

Dons last year targeted specific players and got them.Devon and Saad made a huge difference this year.

Ditto for the Tigers and Hawks the year prior.

Teams that land players in the main identify them early and get commitment from them.

On Menzel...at least in targets our obvious goal kicking accuracy problem.

(Edit: Realise he is FA -Straight trade for Longer??? will not be required which makes him more attractive as no trade needed...though his age is a factor)
We would get Menzers for nothing basically. Put him on 250k for 3 years which offers security and he would be ours. Menzers would kick around 25-30 goals a year.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
CarlD
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 12:13pm We would get Menzers for nothing basically. Put him on 250k for 3 years which offers security and he would be ours. Menzers would kick around 25-30 goals a year.
Chris Scott indicated last night that Menzel's base pay was $180k but he then had a package of incentives on top of that. Menzel's total package was about double the base according to Scott (could be rubbish but $180k seems extraordinarily low in any case).

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

They're not making them public. The issue is that you have to go through player managers at this time of the year and as soon as you do, the leaks happen - either to ensure an existing contract is honoured or, to bump up the price of the next one (either from us or the incumbent club).

It's not that complex ....

Go you red, black & white warriors
suss
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 11:25am

Maybe but he doesn’t lack confidence and he certainly seems to fancy getting one or more of those players.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Menzers? Now you are just taking the urine parkey.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

parkeysainter wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 12:13pm
saintsRrising wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 9:42pm
parkeysainter wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 8:38pm . f*** me, it seems Lethers is into everyone.

That is not actually a good thing. So I hope that he is not.

North chase everyone and fail. We seem to have as well.

Dons last year targeted specific players and got them.Devon and Saad made a huge difference this year.

Ditto for the Tigers and Hawks the year prior.

Teams that land players in the main identify them early and get commitment from them.

On Menzel...at least in targets our obvious goal kicking accuracy problem.

(Edit: Realise he is FA -Straight trade for Longer??? will not be required which makes him more attractive as no trade needed...though his age is a factor)
We would get Menzers for nothing basically. Put him on 250k for 3 years which offers security and he would be ours. Menzers would kick around 25-30 goals a year.
With all due respect - I highly suspect he would not (and I love Dan - he's a jet crueled by injury). The reason? Have you observed the quality of our last kick inside 50 this year or the 'hoist it high and hope' style of centre clearances from Ross and Dunstan?

The simple fact is that an upgrade in cattle in the short term will provide somewhat of a lift in performance (i.e. better players just play better) but it's largely meaningless in the long terms whilst we persist with a Coach / Senior Assistant / Director of Coaching - whom believe our 2018 game plan was ever going to be effective and who've shown little interest or inclination in changing mid-season when it became patently clear to all and sundry that it was flawed beyond belief.

My view is that give many of our existing players a new voice and a game plan that suits their skills and we'll see improvement regardless.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 12:44pm

They're not making them public. The issue is that you have to go through player managers at this time of the year and as soon as you do, the leaks happen - either to ensure an existing contract is honoured or, to bump up the price of the next one (either from us or the incumbent club).

So Dan Haneberry needed his manager to leak his interest in another club so the remaining 3 years of his current contract is honoured or value is increased. Is DH 33 at the end of this current contract? Have I got that right?

Got any other guesses?

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 1:46pm
Saintmatt wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 12:44pm

So Dan Haneberry needed his manager to leak his interest in another club so the remaining 3 years of his current contract is honoured or value is increased. Is DH 33 at the end of this current contract? Have I got that right?

Got any other guesses?
Despite their public protestations to the contrary - the Swans would be delighted not to have $800K for the next 3 years tied up in DH’s increasingly suspect groins/hips when they soon have to pay Heaney, Mills, Florent, Hayward & the good McCartin. Especially if they think they can drag a first round pick out of us for DH.

So, not a player manager - but not too far removed. Not a guess either ...

guitars4
Club Player

Unfortunately when your St.Kilda & nobody wants to come to the club you have to target players that are actually gettable (if there is such a word) I don't really enjoy the fact we are targeting injury prone players who's best years are behind them but what do you do?