Freezer omitted WTF??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SteveStevens66
Club Player

Re: Freezer omitted WTF??

Spert wrote: "Noticed not much expression or outright happiness at Richo on the video announcing Freeman to get his first game...just "bla bla Nathan Freeman". I couldn't agree more. I thought his announcement was a disgrace. Not a scintilla of excitement or happiness for the guy. Grudgingly went through the motions and in so doing showed Freeza no respect whatsoever.

If he has been truly omitted then AR and the selectors have no idea what they are doing. If, on the other hand, he is sore, injured, or being managed and they haven't told us that then they have no idea what they are doing. Except when it comes to creating a PR disaster or utter mismanagement. Then we are without peer.

Renewing membership will be a real struggle this coming year.

Carna Saints!!!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

One of high performance people or one of the assistant coaches who watch a lot of Sandringham games or maybe Richo or perhaps a combination of theses people along with the list managers have already decided that Freeman will not be offered a new contract. Someone posted in the other thread that the powers that be have decided to cut him from the list in 2019 to show members how ruthless Saints will be and they needed to drop Freezer in case he playes well in the last 2 games and creates any doubt

Or maybe one of the medical staff has been in the ear of the powers that be and told them that Freeman won't last physically. The same medicos who advised us on Paddy and advised us that O'meara was shot. A bit like when the doctor gives someone 12 months to live and they end up living for another 30 years.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 8:21pm
Whiskey wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 8:07pm Newnes has had a dream run of selection and he is GARBAGE.

His efforts playing on Johannisen at HFF a couple of weeks ago were absolute garbage.
I like how you referred to that poop as 'effort'. It was the antithesis of effort.

Go you red, black & white warriors
To the top
SS Life Member

In my view Geary is symptomatic of the problems of the Club AND the Coach.

Fantasia has skill, hence playing in a SANFL Premiership side prior to being of the required age to nominate for the Draft (along with a couple of others in that same side noting also family dynasties over generations) and the other small forward from Essendon was electric with 5 goals.

They destroyed St Kilda.

Then you have the sight of Geary being "freed up" as a kick out option for the reasons he is by opposition Clubs.

In my view the Richardson criteria is not consistent with what is required in football today.

Hence the selections we see and have seen over his tenure.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

If Freeman really has been omitted and isn't out because of an injury/management concern then our coaches are even more incompetent than I thought they were - and I thought they were the most incompetent in the league by far.

The kid came in and had 19 possessions on debut and then gets 14 and a goal from half a game and gets dropped while Newnes has a total of 20 disposals over those two games and keep his spot....

kalsaint
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 7:56pm
Enrico_Misso wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 7:50pm Agree - stupid decision.
Is Richo trying to destroy his confidence?
If he is fit let the kid play out the season so we can see what he can do.
But, but, But Richo is a master of player development (NOT!!!)
Lets face it, throwing a few kids in and out is not development. Development requires seniors understanding and executing a game plan with some young guys in for clear development rather than just throwing them in the deep end.

Freezer didn't play massive minutes last week. Any physical reason why? Now is the time to see how kids handle the speed an pressure of AFL. Freezer might be back if not injured and if he has a blinder in VFL. 2 games and time spent on his longer time return means he will be around next year. Others wont, so some of them need a chance.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player

Whiskey wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 8:07pm Newnes has had a dream run of selection and he is GARBAGE.
I agree and had many doubts when others were saying he would be a leader at the club. Not eve please.

I reckon they are giving him a chance to break the consecutive games played record. He is able to maintain his footy health but that alone suggests there no excuse for his performance at times.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

kalsaint
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 9:11pm I don’t know enough about these players being a newbie (Post Lyon malaise) but I’m just wondering, would you think the goals of the match committee are a) win these last two games at all costs 2) give x,y,z players ‘a go’ before the season expires (maybe even give them performance targets) 3) tank?
I doubt that despite many commentators suggesting they agree with you.
Reason: We don't have time to develop kids. Throwing them in the deep end isn't development. Its imperative have a plan for recruitment and our list needs some change so we need to see if any potential really is there for many of those picked in the last 6 weeks.

Then we can assume that late season performances will be measured against the recruitment plan. Its too late for anything else. lets face it the club, by reappointing Richo, has finally realised that the list isn't a solid finals team despite our Presidents early season belief. I think we have learnt something from the clubs review. Now we just need to show that the game focus needed and plan executed. To do this a bunch of kids wont get there for another 3 year minimum so we need to get some senior players back in.

Teams like Melbourne, North and more recently Brisbane have done this and they could all be in front of us at this seasons end. Carlton are also going to bring I senior player types for the same reason as the Saints. Lack of game time leadership, bigger bodied players to enable proper youth development.

shrodes
SS Life Member

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-17/l ... e-to-shine
"He's actually a little bit stiff, 'Freeza'. We think his footy's been OK and we were pretty keen to keep him going if we could but the reality is the Hawks are playing a pretty big front half and it just means that it's squeezed one of our mids out," Richardson said.

"Given (Isaac) Smith on the wing, (Jaeger) O'Meara, obviously (Tom) Mitchell, we've got to make sure strategically that we've got really strong match-ups.

"The message to Freeza is that we're pretty pleased that what he's done the last couple of weeks."
A bit stiff. Then how about not dropping him, genius!

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Bit of a beat up here. Freeza was ok at best and rested for most of last weeks second half. He will need to get more run in his legs before he comes back, mind you it is one more game only. Plus Hawks are a tall team.

It is a moot point anyway as I don't see how we are going to win this

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Richo said he was stiff and they would have liked to keep him going. He also got squeezed out due to the Hawks being tall.

Anyway, it will be good to see Freeman rocking and ready for Round 1 in 2019. So happy he got a taste of it this year and he doesn't look out of place on an AFL footy field.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
To the top
SS Life Member

So by extension the objective at St Kilda is to defend the opposition’s height and defend the opposition’s midfield class

With all this defending what are we setting the opposition to defend in order to win the game of footy?

This is where I have developed my opinion of Richardson and the DNA of the footy he delivers - confirmed by selection

How is St Kilda going to win the game of footy given our focus is to negate the opposition strengths?

Because where are our strengths?

The likes of Geary, Newnes, Longer, Weller et al?

Because those 4 - and others - never impact on the game of footy and are reasons for games being won because they win and then use the footy to advantage

Our Coach has already conceded to the opposition at selection of the St Kilda side

The opposition is dictating our selection process

And, given where we are on the Premiership Ladder, what have we got to lose 2 rounds out from the end of the season?

Staggered

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I hope we keep him.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From the herald sun.

Defender Jake Carlisle did not train yesterday, but for good reason.

His partner gave birth to their first child, a boy named Nash, and he will train this afternoon and play, while Richardson conceded that Nathan Freeman was “stiff” to be dropped in what was simply a move specific to countering Hawthorn.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yup

“Yeah….nah””
To the top
SS Life Member

IIRC, Freeman was getting possessions deep in defense (and nearly over cooking one disposal to a player on the boundary line who dragged it in one handed plus another forced to turn to his left and disposing accurately - how many players do we have who can use both feet?) plus was getting shots on goal (albeit one courtesy of a 50 meter penalty) but then a shot that missed

To me, his ground coverage in the first half until used sparingly after half time, was a definite positive.

older saint
SS Life Member

Named at Sandy so clearly sore, just not Newnes, or even Rice or Armo after last weeks game

Club Player

Richo says Freeman was stiff.
Must be hard to fit him into a team that is performing so well.
Very confused?????????

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

From what I have seen so far, I like Freeman’s skills.

He’s very clean and has quick hands.

Definitely something to work with.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Royston
Club Player

Maybe not dropping Newnes is 'fattening' him up for a trade at seasons end.
On form he should have been gone months ago....but if he was getting the chop from our 15th placed team in the last few rounds his market appeal would be diminished somewhat I would think.

Just a thought...

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote: Fri 17 Aug 2018 6:34pm From what I have seen so far, I like Freeman’s skills.

Thought he was a bit like Hawthorns Mitchell with clean hands and good decision making in traffic. But I was expecting blistering pace on the outside, guess I got that wrong.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Fri 17 Aug 2018 8:23pm
SaintPav wrote: Fri 17 Aug 2018 6:34pm From what I have seen so far, I like Freeman’s skills.

Thought he was a bit like Hawthorns Mitchell with clean hands and good decision making in traffic. But I was expecting blistering pace on the outside, guess I got that wrong.
I think the pace might be gone....hope not
Anyhoo he’ll need to reinvent himself a tad if so
But if he makes good decisions under pressure he’ll be ok

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Royston wrote: Fri 17 Aug 2018 7:18pm Maybe not dropping Newnes is 'fattening' him up for a trade at seasons end.
On form he should have been gone months ago....but if he was getting the chop from our 15th placed team in the last few rounds his market appeal would be diminished somewhat I would think.

Just a thought...
Yep! Can be the only reason. Do not diminish the value of a trade by giving up on it.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda work on some deluded Ying & Yang principle

Freeza being unlucky

Newnes, Rice being lucky

That simple balancing of Ying & Yang shows how unbalanced the Club is.

Surely at this point of the season with everyone bar Richo under scrutiny or gone, decisions are his and only his. Sadly a man who thinks Freeza to be a bit stiff & a man who "probably" should have looked at Pierce earlier is a man under siege, in denial and woefully over his head.

Vale St Kilda.

saintbob
SS Life Member

What I find mildly amusing is the club has chosen to put out a statement about Freezers omission because of all the back lash from the media and supporters.
But then you hear Richo saying that all the fans are understanding of the direction the club is heading and what needs to be done.

I can tell you Richo you are living in a fantasy world if you think you’ve got the support of the fans, however I believe the club is starting to realise just what a mess they have got on their hands.