BJ Goddard not offered new contract by injectors

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chico2001
Club Player

Re: BJ Goddard not offered new contract by injectors

He hurt his knee against the saints and went off and against the Tigers and it really showed. He looked slow and sore. It was not a good game for him and that sealed his fate plus the finger pointing and making some quite blatant turnovers. You can only do that so much before they get you. Would it work with 2 traffic cops? the other being the captain. I dont think so. 6 weeks ago I thought he might be ok at the saints but he also has the feeling of "individual gain" about him which is fair enough but I dont think would suit a down and almost out saints outfit at this point in time. Skills coach yes....but nothing else.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Bowey Boy
Club Player

As is Richardson.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
saynta
Saintsational Legend

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 7ab7aca1dd

ST KILDA coach Alan Richardson has diffused any talk around veteran Brendon Goddard being thrown an AFL lifeline from the Saints.

Goddard's future hangs in the balance after Essendon yesterday confirmed it would not be offering the ball winner another contract.

"I haven't had a lot of time to think about it," Richardson told SEN Breakfast.

"I have made noise that we're looking for experience but we're pretty right down back.

"That's where I see Brendon's real value to a young team.

"It's probably not a need that we have.
“We are pretty right down back. Nathan Brown, Jarryn Geary, Dylan Roberton will come back, Jake Carlisle has played a bit of footy, Jimmy Webster is in the 100-game bracket now.
“That’s where I see Brendon adding real value to a young team given he is such a good organiser and such a creative player from the back.”

Goddard's best the past couple of years has been as an organizer across half back.

But Richardson warned the Saints will be active in the trade period.

They have already been linked to Sydney star Daniel Hannebery.

"I think we are really well positioned to be able to bring in a player or players that we think can complement (the team)," Richardson said.

The Saints will undergo a major shake-up in the offseason in order to bounce back into finals calculations after going backwards this season.

Richardson's assistant coaches look set to bear the brunt of the carnage, with the senior coach likely to be heavily involved in the recruitment of new and experienced lieutenants.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

We can do better. We already have better hbf's on the list.

He would be good as a skills coach though.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
The Recruit
Club Player

shrodes wrote: Wed 22 Aug 2018 9:58am
I am pretty sure Richo has NO SAY in who is and isn't at the club going forward. And if he thinks Geary is a good leader down back then we are doomed. Tries hard but not a leader.

takeaway
Club Player

The Recruit wrote: Wed 22 Aug 2018 11:00pm
I am pretty sure Richo has NO SAY in who is and isn't at the club going forward. And if he thinks Geary is a good leader down back then we are doomed. Tries hard but not a leader.
Why would he have no say? He is still the coach.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

takeaway wrote: Wed 22 Aug 2018 11:14pm
Yep. The Big Kahuna said no which also means Lethers said no.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
suss
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 22 Aug 2018 1:38pm https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 7ab7aca1dd

ST KILDA coach Alan Richardson has diffused any talk around veteran Brendon Goddard being thrown an AFL lifeline from the Saints.

Goddard's future hangs in the balance after Essendon yesterday confirmed it would not be offering the ball winner another contract.

"I haven't had a lot of time to think about it," Richardson told SEN Breakfast.

"I have made noise that we're looking for experience but we're pretty right down back.

"That's where I see Brendon's real value to a young team.

"It's probably not a need that we have.
“We are pretty right down back. Nathan Brown, Jarryn Geary, Dylan Roberton will come back, Jake Carlisle has played a bit of footy, Jimmy Webster is in the 100-game bracket now.
“That’s where I see Brendon adding real value to a young team given he is such a good organiser and such a creative player from the back.”

Goddard's best the past couple of years has been as an organizer across half back.

But Richardson warned the Saints will be active in the trade period.

They have already been linked to Sydney star Daniel Hannebery.

"I think we are really well positioned to be able to bring in a player or players that we think can complement (the team)," Richardson said.

The Saints will undergo a major shake-up in the offseason in order to bounce back into finals calculations after going backwards this season.

Richardson's assistant coaches look set to bear the brunt of the carnage, with the senior coach likely to be heavily involved in the recruitment of new and experienced lieutenants.
Did someone tell Richo that Brendon can go forward, and that we are a young team in desperate need of experience? BJ's probably one of the more versatile players going around I would've thought, but you know, what ever ...

The Recruit
Club Player

On paper he is the coach.
Within the club he is just there for now untill it doesn’t cost too much to move him on.

takeaway
Club Player

The Recruit wrote: Thu 23 Aug 2018 1:31am
On paper he is the coach.
Within the club he is just there for now untill it doesn’t cost too much to move him on.
Source??

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit doesn't need a source. You don't need a high IQ to work it out after the dismal performances including those last 8-10 games in 2017.

All the ducks are lining up. Everyone knows that without the contract extension Richo would have received his marching orders. Reread what TR said. I fully concur with his sentiment. If Lethlean thinks otherwise I think he's probably focussed on Hannebery and we can't have both. I'd prefer BJ because he won't cost us anything

I also agree that we should only bring in BJ under the priviso he plays forward and rotates through the middle. I think it would be amazing for Steven, Armo and Geary to be reunited with BJ and it will have a positive effect on their performances (as it will on many of our players ).

There are many benefits to getting him back as a player, but I'd only do it for 1 year and give him the option of accepting an assistant coaches role afterwards. Let's get him as a player for one year while we continue to rebuild.

takeaway
Club Player

So Richo is an "on paper only" coach and has NO SAY in who is and isn't at the club going forward? "Everyone knows" that without the contract extension he would have received his marching orders? So he is going to be paid his money next year and do nothing? I know quite a few on here would like that. No wonder there is no source, just the normal neggo numpty sources.

I agree if we are well down the ladder next year especially despite the addition of new assistants, and hopefully a better injury run, he will not be there in 2020. But he will have the full say of a coach next year imo.

He says the club has no need for Goddard, so can we disregard that from 'no say' Alan' ? ..... BJ is coming!! I hope not.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Keeping a head coach as a figure head only.

Interesting concept.

Wouldn't that be like sticking your finger in your own bum.

Why would you do it.

It might be slightly amusing at first but then only painful.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If your boss told you to... and in turn the decision was endorsed by his boss that you should stick your finger in your bum

Then you'd have it in there for quite a while until either you resigned or perhaps until your bosses were replaced. Unless your going to reply and tell us all that the media reports about Richo, Summers and possible change to the CEO are all made up

Either way, something stinks down at Moorabbin

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 23 Aug 2018 1:12pm If your boss told you to... and in turn the decision was endorsed by his boss that you should stick your finger in your bum

Then you'd have it in there for quite a while until either you resigned or perhaps until your bosses were replaced. Unless your going to reply and tell us all that the media reports about Richo, Summers and possible change to the CEO are all made up

Sorry Scollop I can't agree. On every level it would backfire even before you got past the first knuckle.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The people in charge at St Kilda don't agree either. They are with you. If Finnis and Summers were not in charge, I believe it would be common sense that the Saints board would have wanted a review of the whole football department INCLUDING the senior coach. They are protecting themselves imho, and justifying their decision to extend his contract

They have all put the blame on the playing list, the recruiters, the assistant coaches and they ALL towed the party line for as long as they could that Richo was not part of the problem.

I don't think Lethlean is assessing or reviewing whether Richo should be replaced. Seems like it would be just good governance when assessing a footy dep't that you fully review and assess the head coach.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Thu 23 Aug 2018 2:37pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 23 Aug 2018 1:12pm If your boss told you to... and in turn the decision was endorsed by his boss that you should stick your finger in your bum

Sorry Scollop I can't agree. On every level it would backfire even before you got past the first knuckle.
The said finger would certainly stink... :shock: :lol:

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Tue 21 Aug 2018 7:32pm
parkeysainter wrote: Tue 21 Aug 2018 7:25pm Just thinking. Goddard really had a s*** time at Essendon overall since leaving the Saints. First the entire drugs scandal then he only ends up playing in one final (where they got totally belted) before being given the arse today. He played at a drama riddled and underperforming club his entire time basically.

Oh well, at least he got his extra 100-200k a year at Essendon.
Yep, He can suck s*** as far as I'm concerned.
bahahaha. :lol: Have not heard that turn of phrase since the 80's. love it. Much love to you sir.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

iwantmeseats wrote: Thu 23 Aug 2018 6:09pm
saynta wrote: Tue 21 Aug 2018 7:32pm
parkeysainter wrote: Tue 21 Aug 2018 7:25pm Just thinking. Goddard really had a s*** time at Essendon overall since leaving the Saints. First the entire drugs scandal then he only ends up playing in one final (where they got totally belted) before being given the arse today. He played at a drama riddled and underperforming club his entire time basically.

Oh well, at least he got his extra 100-200k a year at Essendon.
Yep, He can suck s*** as far as I'm concerned.
bahahaha. :lol: Have not heard that turn of phrase since the 80's. love it. Much love to you sir.
Good work from Saynta. Easily in the top 5 posters on SS.net.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Thu 23 Aug 2018 2:37pm

Richo has no power in the position. Just heard tonight on ch 9's footy show that Lonie's manager stated that Jack has not been offered a new contract. I believe Richo has been one of Lonie's best supporters in the last 2 years.

Richo may have been the deciding voice last time Lonie was unsigned. Now with Lonie performing ok it seems that Richo is unable to sway the football department to convince them again that he is worth keeping on the list

ace
Saintsational Legend

wolfpup wrote: Tue 21 Aug 2018 12:55pm You are fast :)

Everyone can shoot me down but I would bring him back on a 1 year contract without hesitation.
Yes, rehabilitate him as a Sainter.
Only risk is he may show that our other 21 best players should all be delisted.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Cairnsman wrote: Thu 23 Aug 2018 12:52pm Keeping a head coach as a figure head only.

Interesting concept.

Wouldn't that be like sticking your finger in your own bum.

Why would you do it.

It might be slightly amusing at first but then only painful.
You're actually closer than you think :D :P

ALAN is an anagram for ...
come on...

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote: Tue 21 Aug 2018 1:39pm He could be a good fit for our current needs.
If we are looking for an "experienced" campaigner to support the young guys, with his Saints background, he has a lot more to offer than other players likely to be available to us.

- Experience & drive.
- Strong on-field voice (would need to tone down a bit - he's not the captain).
- A great kick.
- Still good enough to be in our top 22.
- Returning to the Saints, he should be motivated to put in a good year.
- 1 Year contract only.

Pity about Roo & Monty being pushed aside last year. Who is being held responsible for that?
On current needs, it is frightening that BJ would currently be in our top 10 players.

Maybe even top 5.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Scollop wrote: Thu 23 Aug 2018 3:03pm The people in charge at St Kilda don't agree either. They are with you. If Finnis and Summers were not in charge, I believe it would be common sense that the Saints board would have wanted a review of the whole football department INCLUDING the senior coach. They are protecting themselves imho, and justifying their decision to extend his contract

They have all put the blame on the playing list, the recruiters, the assistant coaches and they ALL towed the party line for as long as they could that Richo was not part of the problem.

I don't think Lethlean is assessing or reviewing whether Richo should be replaced. Seems like it would be just good governance when assessing a footy dep't that you fully review and assess the head coach.
"Good governance" 100% correct.
Imagine doing a Royal Commission into the banking industry,
and the CEO of Westpac turns up at the hearing,
only for the assembled panel to say
"Oh no, you're OK, we don't need to ask you any questions"

what a fricking crock.
Why even bother with any sort of review when one of the most important stakeholders
gets a Get Out of Jail Free Card.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee