At end of Season will the Saints be Bold or will there be more years of Failure?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kaos theory
Club Player

At end of Season will the Saints be Bold or will there be more years of Failure?

Since 2011, our club has gone through a slow motion train wreck to leave us where we are now. After the North game, whatever the result, the club needs to transform, because more of the same has proving over and over agin that it doesn't work. The record speaks: 2 terrible coach selection, wooden spoon, no finals, and after a 5 year plan we are a bottom 3 team, with no development of our players.

The 3 key proponents of this failure must go: Summers, Finnis and Richo, along with their supporters.

Summers will go, BUT he is being replaced by someone who was on the board and supported the direction the club was taking. I hope I'm wrong, but I see nothing in Basset yet that gives me hope.

Finnis has instigated programs and hires across the footy department that has lead to the stagnation and regression of our players. He is a bureaucrat that is stifling our club.

Richo is an average coach, limited abilities, and has no imagination or skills to take our club to a flag.

If all we end up doing in the off season is bring in a few new assistance coaches and hope this will magically turn us into AFL power, then we are run by a bigger pack of fools than I thought.

The supporters will be watching and membership will plummet if the those running the club continue on the same path...

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: At end of Season will the Saints be Bold or will there be more years of Failure?

Very little indication of the Saints being bold at the moment...
A few of the newer assistants moved on
Token board changes
No indication that we’re in with a chance to trade in anyone good... a past his best midfielder and a makeshift ruck currently most likely
Trout pbly the biggest casualty and that reeks of scapegoating rather than a measured response

No consequence or action against the conversative and IMO inept coach
No real action to reach out to, hear out or retain members
Likely going to retain proven mediocre players like Weller, Longer, Gilbert and delist up and comers like Freeman, Pierce and Lonie. Apparently Connellan doesn’t have the defensive prowess of Weller to get a game!!!

I feel very disenchanted

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: At end of Season will the Saints be Bold or will there be more years of Failure?

kaos theory wrote: Sun 26 Aug 2018 3:09pm Since 2011, our club has gone through a slow motion train wreck to leave us where we are now. After the North game, whatever the result, the club needs to transform, because more of the same has proving over and over agin that it doesn't work. The record speaks: 2 terrible coach selection, wooden spoon, no finals, and after a 5 year plan we are a bottom 3 team, with no development of our players.

The 3 key proponents of this failure must go: Summers, Finnis and Richo, along with their supporters.

Summers will go, BUT he is being replaced by someone who was on the board and supported the direction the club was taking. I hope I'm wrong, but I see nothing in Basset yet that gives me hope.

Finnis has instigated programs and hires across the footy department that has lead to the stagnation and regression of our players. He is a bureaucrat that is stifling our club.

Richo is an average coach, limited abilities, and has no imagination or skills to take our club to a flag.

If all we end up doing in the off season is bring in a few new assistance coaches and hope this will magically turn us into AFL power, then we are run by a bigger pack of fools than I thought.

The supporters will be watching and membership will plummet if the those running the club continue on the same path...
Yep good post
Forget tough talking
Actions will tell all you need to know and I fear thus far it looks more of same
Finnis stays......coach stays........a few scapegoat assistants moved on...R Harvey brought back to make members feel good...
Just watching right now to see how serious our club and Lethlean is

“Yeah….nah””
Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

I have zero confidence that our administration can turn things around. I hope I’m wrong, but I feel that we are yet to hit rock bottom. We only have one pick of any value in this draft and although the club are stating they want to get back into the early part of the draft, we simply do not have any currency. Those who think other clubs are going to hand over second round picks for guys like Acres, Newnes et al, are kidding themselves. Other clubs aren’t that stupid - just our club. Then, we publicly chase Hannebery who is a 27 yo, with the body of a 40 yo. No free agents want to come to us, and why would they. Richo being coach certainly doesn’t help. He’s actually become a bit of a laughing stock in the competition, yet our board steadfastly and publicly think he is the right man for the job.
I have a fear that 2019 is going to be worse than this year. Our list build has failed and we have to start again.
Sorry to be so cynical, but this year has hurt.

kaos theory
Club Player

Kick-it-lace-out wrote: Sun 26 Aug 2018 8:42pm I have zero confidence that our administration can turn things around. I hope I’m wrong, but I feel that we are yet to hit rock bottom. We only have one pick of any value in this draft and although the club are stating they want to get back into the early part of the draft, we simply do not have any currency. Those who think other clubs are going to hand over second round picks for guys like Acres, Newnes et al, are kidding themselves. Other clubs aren’t that stupid - just our club. Then, we publicly chase Hannebery who is a 27 yo, with the body of a 40 yo. No free agents want to come to us, and why would they. Richo being coach certainly doesn’t help. He’s actually become a bit of a laughing stock in the competition, yet our board steadfastly and publicly think he is the right man for the job.
I have a fear that 2019 is going to be worse than this year. Our list build has failed and we have to start again.
Sorry to be so cynical, but this year has hurt.
It all hinges on what gets done next few days...if Richo goes (also Finnis) there is hope, but if not, then what you say could be the outcome....

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

It’s just time to be bold - not silly - but smart bold
That HAS to start with CEO/Coach departures announced
If it’s Lethlean and Ratten to take over so be it - needs fresh start after 5 years
It also extends to players.
We have to trade to get....
If losing a Ross/Steven puts us backwards in the next few years.....but means we get a Rankine/Walsh ...or both putt8ng us way out in front in 3-5 when we are challenging,...then FFS play the long game Saints
Forget the media bashers they’ll come no matter what and then be your best friends when you start winning....Forking vultures the lot of em..
Time to be ruthless, 7 years out of finals is enough
Get relevant .

“Yeah….nah””
Shaggy
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 26 Aug 2018 9:21pm It’s just time to be bold - not silly - but smart bold
That HAS to start with CEO/Coach departures announced
Change for the sake of change does not work.

We need appointments at the top end which make us marketable again in the AFL with players and sponsors.

GT and Butterss did it with Blight.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

lol. Token changes. Whole joint is gutless.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Classic Richardson.....what does this even mean....coach really strongly????? WTF is that??? This is when trying to describe how we won’t go backwards in 2019 while the article talks about recruiting a frighin broken down Hannerbury we in deep poo gang...

“No that's not our focus. Our focus is to be aggressive and coach really strongly, challenge our players to look at this year as an incredibly disappointing year, a year in which we underachieved and we need to respond."

“Yeah….nah””
vacuous space
SS Life Member

The recruiting drive is expected to be unmatched in comparison to any previous efforts during Alan Richardson's time as coach, in a bid to boost the maturity of their list.
I don't like where this is going. It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion. You could see this idea growing in Richo's head throughout the year. He's gone on and on about Luke Hodge at Brisbane on 360. Somehow, that's morphed into the idea the the kids were exposed this year and that's why we failed so catastrophically. Now it seems he wants us to go use resources to get older and, absurdly, after five years of failure, we're going to go and do that.

I feel like we know where this is going too. Bringing in older cast-offs from other clubs isn't exactly the road less traveled for St Kilda. We get Hanners hoping that he's Shaun Burgoyne. He's not. We bring in Lycett hoping he's significantly better than what we've already got. He isn't. We trade out underperformers for little return. They then go on to be solid contributors in better teams. We keep selecting the same disappointments and over again assuming they're going to put it all together. They don't. All this on the blind hope that Richo winds up the next Buckley or the next Hardwick. That seems very very unlikely.
Last edited by vacuous space on Mon 27 Aug 2018 1:07am, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

So is that Richo being delusional, or is just outright lying?

St Kilda will launch their most aggressive-ever assault on the trade and free agent market during the off-season

Big call. GTrain, Hamill, Voss, Lawrence & Co all as ay hi

I will be totally amazed if we can improve on that trade year.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teach really strongly. Coach really goodly. Play very Saintly footy

Turn up and go through the motions and speak a whole lot of cliches continuously

ace
Saintsational Legend

I will believe the club to be bold when they trade out Paddy McCartin so that they are not tempted to gift him games instead of Josh Battle and Rowan Marshall.
If it were not for injuries to McCartin neither of these would have got a senior game.
When will the club stop pretending and admit they made the biggest recruiting disaster of this millenium.
He makes Melbourne's pick of Jack Watts look like genius at work.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Sadly there are very few players on St Kilda's list with any significant trade value so how are they going to make big changes.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

vacuous space wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 1:01am
The recruiting drive is expected to be unmatched in comparison to any previous efforts during Alan Richardson's time as coach, in a bid to boost the maturity of their list.
I don't like where this is going. It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion. You could see this idea growing in Richo's head throughout the year. He's gone on and on about Luke Hodge at Brisbane on 360. Somehow, that's morphed into the idea the the kids were exposed this year and that's why we failed so catastrophically. Now it seems he wants us to go use resources to get older and, absurdly, after five years of failure, we're going to go and do that.

I feel like we know where this is going too. Bringing in older cast-offs from other clubs isn't exactly the road less traveled for St Kilda. We get Hanners hoping that he's Shaun Burgoyne. He's not. We bring in Lycett hoping he's significantly better than what we've already got. He isn't. We trade out underperformers for little return. They then go on to be solid contributors in better teams. We keep selecting the same disappointments and over again assuming they're going to put it all together. They don't. All this on the blind hope that Richo winds up the next Buckley or the next Hardwick. That seems very very unlikely.
Nail. On. Head.

ace
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 1:05am

So is that Richo being delusional, or is just outright lying?

St Kilda will launch their most aggressive-ever assault on the trade and free agent market during the off-season

Big call. GTrain, Hamill, Voss, Lawrence & Co all as ay hi

I will be totally amazed if we can improve on that trade year.
Matthew Capuano says hi too.
Draft picks Nick Riewoldt, Justin Koschitkze, Mark Gale, Robert Powell and Daniel Wulf send their greetings.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 1:59am
vacuous space wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 1:01am

Nail. On. Head.
But McCartin and Goddard are going to be superstars in their next lifetime.

kaos theory
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 12:21am Classic Richardson.....what does this even mean....coach really strongly????? WTF is that??? This is when trying to describe how we won’t go backwards in 2019 while the article talks about recruiting a frighin broken down Hannerbury we in deep poo gang...

“No that's not our focus. Our focus is to be aggressive and coach really strongly, challenge our players to look at this year as an incredibly disappointing year, a year in which we underachieved and we need to respond."
It smacks of desperation, its just throwing outlandish statements.

A fish rots first at the head:
The Board, The President, the CEO, the Head Coach.....

CarlD
Club Player

"St Kilda will launch their most aggressive-ever assault on the trade and free agent market during the off-season" - just like last year :(

The changes made administratively so far have been cosmetic and do not bode well. Fingers, toes and anything else crossed that someone with some punch within the club calls a spade a spade and gets things moving in a more sensible fashion (ie no Hannebery for starters). Even if he were fit, Hannebery cannot fix a flawed game plan.

Much is riding on the next couple of months.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Richo uses the excuse of Josh Battle being out injured.

Omg.

This nincompoop is taking us all for fools.

How long did it take you to give him a game Richo?

NFI

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.