Richo - why wouldn’t you sack him?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

takeaway
Club Player

Re: Richo - why wouldn’t you sack him?

Few days offline, come on for a look and it's all happening! Few young players want out, or at least want big changes (Richo out?), big meeting Monday - Richo gone?!

If it is true a number of players are not happy with Richo, then I don't see how he can stay. If it is just one or even two, and they genuinely want to go, then they should be traded. Personally, I would hate to see Billings, Steven or Acres go, maybe Dunstan - OK if we get a decent pick in return. I would be surprised if Steven really wanted out.

As for Richo, I am not too concerned if he stays with new assistants and perhaps a revised coaching structure, or if he goes, as long as there is a plan for a suitable replacement. If he stays, obviously if we do not show marked improvement, he won't last the season.

Will be interesting to see what happens, however those in the inner sanctum of the club are the best placed to decide the outcome, rather than a few cowboys on here.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

What do you do if Richo stays; new assistants revive the game plan we win games but it’s not a Richo revival?? Keep him? How do u remove him then?

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Frankly, I’m surprised, no shocked that Finnis didn’t give Richo a 5 year extension.

The club has been run by a conga line of <edited by mods> for years.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
takeaway
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 02 Sep 2018 5:47pm What do you do if Richo stays; new assistants revive the game plan we win games but it’s not a Richo revival?? Keep him? How do u remove him then?
If the game plan is revived, how would we know who is responsible for it? New assistant(s) , Richo, or Richo in conjunction with assistants? If the team shows marked improvements over an extended part of the season, I would think Richo stays till end 2019, and depending on end result, may trigger till 2020. The club can sack him at any time anyway, may even be Monday. I certainly would prefer someone like Clarko as coach, I also like Fagan at Bris, but they are not available at present, maybe Ratten, not sure about some of the others mentioned.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I'll elaborate on the comment I posted earlier in the thread last night. It comes from Bigfooty ITKs who have a reasonably reliable track record.

There is an unscheduled Board Meeting 10am Monday.

The meeting is about the Head Coach. It appears that the outcome is not definitive or known. One ITK said he was getting different fluctuating info every hour, but says there has been a lot of activity over thw weekend. The view of other ITKs was that he's probably gone.

They are saying that the meeting is in response to Billings, Acres and Steven requesting trades. The interesting info is that the Club was happy to discuss trading Acres and Steven, but pushed back at Billings. I'm guessing Lethlean appreciates the folly of letting Billings go.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

A self-proclaimed ITK on BF’s scandal board reckons he has it on good authority that Richo has been sacked and that the Saints are chasing John Longmuir

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 02 Sep 2018 10:38pm A self-proclaimed ITK on BF’s scandal board reckons he has it on good authority that Richo has been sacked and that the Saints are chasing John Longmuir
Looks like someone has finally done the maths on this.
Retaining Richo is, by far, the worst of all possibilities.
It will cost us players, membership, sponsors and any hope of resurrecting our future.

500k? Who gives a sh#t?

Nee!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

fugazi wrote: Sun 02 Sep 2018 11:05pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 02 Sep 2018 10:38pm A self-proclaimed ITK on BF’s scandal board reckons he has it on good authority that Richo has been sacked and that the Saints are chasing John Longmuir
Looks like someone has finally done the maths on this.
Retaining Richo is, by far, the worst of all possibilities.
It will cost us players, membership, sponsors and any hope of resurrecting our future.

500k? Who gives a sh#t?
we had to pay overs to release Richo from the Power;
didn't he have 2 years left?
And it was about a week before the draft, etc.
So again, we just burn lots of money paying out AR
and paying out Longmire.
Why not make the Dribbler Director of Coaching,
and let Lade be senior coach?
Ratten might be a bit too old and has had his time.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sun 02 Sep 2018 5:11pm Personally, I would hate to see Billings, Steven or Acres go, maybe Dunstan.
That would be our best player, plus three of our most promising young players.

Players who I think can thrive with better coaching and a better game plan.

In short, disastrous for St Kilda FC.

I’m hoping this is just rumour, but who knows

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Mon 03 Sep 2018 9:08am
takeaway wrote: Sun 02 Sep 2018 5:11pm Personally, I would hate to see Billings, Steven or Acres go, maybe Dunstan.
That would be our best player, plus three of our most promising young players.

Players who I think can thrive with better coaching and a better game plan.

In short, disastrous for St Kilda FC.

I’m hoping this is just rumour, but who knows
I’m hoping it is true. Because if so, if they correctly decide to ditch Richo, it makes sense to do it before FA and trade period commences.

I’m very proud of those boys for making a definitive stand. They’ve had enough of Richo like a lot of us.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We excel at dumping coaches. We can't get any of the coaches right - but our recruiting has always been perfect - we know how to pick our recruiters.

If I was a betting man, I'd say we will get the next coach wrong too.
If anything goes wrong, it's never the players, the recruiters, the injuries, the draw etc.. - it's always the coach's fault. He is always the lightning rod.

spert
Saintsational Legend

From my dim memory, I can only think of Leigh Matthews having success follow him around from club to club, maybe Barrassi? Not many other coaches come to mind that can have success ,then go to another club and continue with that success??? It really is up in the air as to how much a new coach will succeed.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Freo went from 18 wins and a prelim final in 2015 to 4 wins in 2016, becoming a cellar-dweller in their coaches fifth year. Don't they have a 5 year plan?
Things don't always go to plan - and we had a lot more injuries and a harder draw than Freo did in 2016.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Mon 03 Sep 2018 11:00am Freo went from 18 wins and a prelim final in 2015 to 4 wins in 2016, becoming a cellar-dweller in their coaches fifth year. Don't they have a 5 year plan?
Things don't always go to plan - and we had a lot more injuries and a harder draw than Freo did in 2016.
So let’s just bend over and accept medicoracy and keep Richo until the end of 2020 eh?

Should be fun. I reckon when we play Norf @ Marvel in 2020 with Mr Pleasing-Positive in charge we will be happy with the 15,000 crowd (mostly Norf fans)

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
samoht
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Mon 03 Sep 2018 11:09am
samoht wrote: Mon 03 Sep 2018 11:00am Freo went from 18 wins and a prelim final in 2015 to 4 wins in 2016, becoming a cellar-dweller in their coaches fifth year. Don't they have a 5 year plan?
So let’s just bend over and accept medicoracy and keep Richo until the end of 2020 eh?

Should be fun. I reckon when we play Norf @ Marvel in 2020 with Mr Pleasing-Positive in charge we will be happy with the 15,000 crowd (mostly Norf fans)
Whereas we’ve been excelling with our recruiting, I suppose. Our scattergun recruiting has been top notch.
Our recruiters have been “bending us over” for years. But the coach is always the lightning rod - and so our mediocre recruiting will just keep dragging us down. Place all the blame on the coach, absolve all else - nice logic, St Kilda.

one point
Club Player

spert wrote: Mon 03 Sep 2018 10:49am From my dim memory, I can only think of Leigh Matthews having success follow him around from club to club, maybe Barrassi? Not many other coaches come to mind that can have success ,then go to another club and continue with that success??? It really is up in the air as to how much a new coach will succeed.
Alan Jeans didn’t do too badly when he went to Hawthorn

spert
Saintsational Legend

one point wrote: Mon 03 Sep 2018 11:48am
spert wrote: Mon 03 Sep 2018 10:49am From my dim memory, I can only think of Leigh Matthews having success follow him around from club to club, maybe Barrassi? Not many other coaches come to mind that can have success ,then go to another club and continue with that success??? It really is up in the air as to how much a new coach will succeed.
Right you are

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

one point wrote: Mon 03 Sep 2018 11:48am
Malthouse!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Mon 03 Sep 2018 11:28am
saintspremiers wrote: Mon 03 Sep 2018 11:09am

Whereas we’ve been excelling with our recruiting, I suppose. Our scattergun recruiting has been top notch.
Our recruiters have been “bending us over” for years. But the coach is always the lightning rod - and so our mediocre recruiting will just keep dragging us down. Place all the blame on the coach, absolve all else - nice logic, St Kilda.
Our recruiting has been bad yes I agree, but even more so our development has been shitouse. And you can't defend the senior coach on this one, unless you are related, or called Jack Newnes!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I don’t think it’s all coach, nor is it all cattle.

However good coaching can make a hell of a difference.

To say it doesn’t is akin to saying he doesn’t matter who is prime minister.

Leadership is so important.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 03 Sep 2018 9:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

I agree, bigcarl.
As long as we don't neglect all other areas - it seems to be all coach with St Kilda, and the other areas, such as recruiting, keep getting overlooked or glossed over.
We need a complete overhaul of the recruiting.
Recruiting is the most important area to get right - but not at St Kilda. We're better than that.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Yes samoht, we have missed on a few, that’s for sure. Others have talent, but have stagnated due to getting pumped every week, being played out of position, injury and various other reasons
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 03 Sep 2018 1:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Firstly Longmire isn't going anywhere, silly to to think he is. Secondly Richo knows his days are numbered an he will have some form of performance clause in his contract. Now that we have a potential replacement in Ratten I expect 2019 to be his last year. Problem I have is that Ratten's influence may start to improve the players and Richo will take credit for it.

loris
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Mon 03 Sep 2018 12:32pm I don’t think it’s a coach, nor is it all cattle.

However good coaching can make a hell of a difference.

To say it doesn’t is akin to saying he doesn’t matter who is prime minister.

Leadership is so important.
bigcarl.......... so thrilled to see you use the word ‘nor’. It’s such a forgotten word these days. I get so, so, so thrilled when I see it used correctly. :P :P

Continue on folks............

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Mon 03 Sep 2018 1:03pm I agree, bigcarl.
As long as we don't neglect all other areas - it seems to be all coach with St Kilda, and the other areas, such as recruiting, keep getting overlooked or glossed over.
We need a complete overhaul of the recruiting.
Recruiting is the most important area to get right - but not at St Kilda. We're better than that.
FFS we e sacked assistants AND head of recruitment AND Prez fallen sword .....the only muppet left IS the head coach

Got to go cho

“Yeah….nah””