Scrimshaw

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Re: Scrimshaw

MC Gusto wrote: Wed 05 Sep 2018 9:18am Setterfield and Cerra would be my top interstate targets

Shiel would be great but just can’t see him coming to the saints

If we were to land setterfield, Cerra and scrimshaw this off-season that would be amazing! Won’t happen but they are the age bracket we should be targeting

Add in hanners and say Menzel for virtually nothing and we are back on track with a solid combo of youth and leaders

On top of that draft strongly with pick 3/4 and we’re on

Clearly I’m smoking the good stuff but it’s ok to dream is it not?!?!
Agree on Setterfield and Cerra, Scrimshaw would have to be for next to nothing as I very much doubt he'll make it, he'd need to be at a very good club where he can play outside to have an impact. Just because he was pick 7 & from Hailerbury doesn't make him a future Saints gun.

I dream of Acres and our first pick for Cerra and Freo's first pick in return, but they's never come to the party. Cerra is a 200+ game AA midfielder in the making.

I'll be really disappointed if a club gets Setterfield for unders, the guy is a good size, tough midfield beast with skills in the mold of Jacob Hopper and Patrick Cripps. As soon as his body is right he'll break through in a big way.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote: Sun 02 Sep 2018 9:53pm Simpleton, I’d love to bang Jennifer Hawkins. Doesn’t mean it’s going to happen.
Have you phoned her?

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

parkeysainter wrote: Sun 02 Sep 2018 9:34pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 02 Sep 2018 8:04pm Why would we want a bloke who can’t get a game at the Suns?
A change of environment can do wonders and he grew up locally which helps. Also a former top ten pick that is still a kid still. Plenty of improvement left in him. He can bloody play and has a killer left foot.

Swap Mav Weller and a 3rd or 4th rounder for him.
What? What exactly are you on?

Mav Weller is OUT OF CONTRACT at 31 October. Why would GCS give us a pick (of any kind) for a player that they could pick up for free as a delisted FA?

Go you red, black & white warriors
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote: Wed 05 Sep 2018 11:55am
SaintPav wrote: Sun 02 Sep 2018 9:53pm Simpleton, I’d love to bang Jennifer Hawkins. Doesn’t mean it’s going to happen.
Have you phoned her?
She doesn't like toilet humour.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 05 Sep 2018 12:18pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 02 Sep 2018 8:04pm Why would we want a bloke who can’t get a game at the Suns?
A change of environment can do wonders and he grew up locally which helps. Also a former top ten pick that is still a kid still. Plenty of improvement left in him. He can bloody play and has a killer left foot.

Mav Weller is OUT OF CONTRACT at 31 October. Why would GCS give us a pick (of any kind) for a player that they could pick up for free as a delisted FA?
I believe you are correct, GC will want a decent return on a first round pick, just like we would for Paddy or Billings if they were traded.

Mav and a late pick is ridiculous for a top ten pick, but from what I have seen first hand of Scrimshaw, that is about what we should be giving up to get him.

I hope I'm wrong but I can't see him being a top line AFL player.
Pass unless we pay very little.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 05 Sep 2018 1:23pm
Saintmatt wrote: Wed 05 Sep 2018 12:18pm

I believe you are correct, GC will want a decent return on a first round pick, just like we would for Paddy or Billings if they were traded.

Mav and a late pick is ridiculous for a top ten pick, but from what I have seen first hand of Scrimshaw, that is about what we should be giving up to get him.

I hope I'm wrong but I can't see him being a top line AFL player.
Pass unless we pay very little.
My point was that this just the usual delusional rantings of the nuffies like Parkey that thinks any team will give up a pick - any pick - for a delisted FA. Just stop talking crap.

I mean, clubs get to pick up Delisted FA's for free (like we did with Dylan Roberton). By definition - you actually can't trade anyone who's uncontracted (i.e. like Mav or Lonie etc).

Go you red, black & white warriors
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 05 Sep 2018 5:02pm
I mean, clubs get to pick up Delisted FA's for free (like we did with Dylan Roberton). By definition - you actually can't trade anyone who's uncontracted (i.e. like Mav or Lonie etc).
No that is not correct, at least in terms of how you have stated it.

Players become DFA's automatically if they are delisted.

But note that are NOT A DELISTED FREE AGENT if:
- Player retires OR
- Rejects offer from current club OR
- Requests removal from Club list (*delists* himself)

Check out this simple infographic: http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content ... rahpic.pdf

In the case of Lonie, as he has a one year offer from the club, if he knocks it back he is not forced to to play for St Kilda, but he cannot become a DFA. He can go into the national draft to try to get to a another club of his choice, (ie like Luke Ball did successfully to get to Collingwood), but any club could take him.

So strategically having offered Lonie a one year deal is important if the saints do want to trade him out.

With 4 clubs evidently chasing him if he goes you would expect it to be by trade.

With Weller his contract lapses and if the Saints do not offer him another contract, but do not delist him, he can nominate for the draft or ask to be traded.

Weller is not likely to have many suitors and so if a club wants him they may say to him that they will pick him up late in the draft. Most clubs these days will however be happy to facilitate a player that they do not want, and who does not have any real draft value, getting to another club for a meaningless draft pick as basically a goodwill exercise. Or they could delist him for the same reason. Weller at best for Saints may attarct a very low points value trade that may help if bundled to a club with an academy pick

With Membrey: Originally the Saints and Swans had an agreement to trade. But the Saints had said all along that this depended on other trades that we were more concerned about. This could not be done and the Swans graciously delisted him so that he could join the saints as a DFA.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 05 Sep 2018 9:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

PS:
I doubt well has any significant trade value
Lonie should get a pick helpful to us

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....