Saints 2018 report card.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saints 2018 report card.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... e439c3b6bd

"IT’S like one of those days when the mechanic has taken an hour or two to look under the hood and rings with the bad news about midday — it’s going to be a costly one.

To say things didn’t go as planned this season for the Saints is an understatement.

There were injuries, but there had been talk they could have snuck into the eight.

It couldn’t have been further from the truth as goalkicking again proved wayward and star power was lacking. It made for the fourth season in six with six wins or less. Not pretty.

TRADE TABLE

There’s fresh talk about Jared Polec and while there’s huge numbers being bandied about, such speed on the outside would be one step towards exactly what St Kilda needs. The classy left-footer is coming off a cracking season and would be a handy addition. Another ruckman should be on the club’s radar after news Scott Lycett could be off to Port Adelaide.

DRAFT STRATEGY

Two words. Speed. Class. The Saints have been lacking in superstar power and with just one pick inside the top 50 — and an early one — they’ll need to make it count. This is expected to be a strong draft and the Saints will need to be smart.
Seb Ross put together a strong season for the Saints. Picture: AAP Images

SEASON HIGHLIGHTS

— That Round 15 win over Melbourne was a nailbiter but was high-scoring and showed some nerve. Some promise.

— Seb Ross willed his side on on more than one occasion and his ball-winning was prolific.

— Nathan Freeman’s debut. Yes, his time at the Saints was short-lived, but it was a nice late-season spark.

WHO WINS B&F: Seb Ross

NEXT YEAR’S GOAL

The club wanted a second premiership by 2020 but unfortunately the plan of being a top-four side by now hasn’t panned out. Instead, edging closer to a 10-win season seems more like a more manageable reality.
Odds_Banners_AFL.jpg

ROBBO SAYS

Saints fans haven’t been this disappointed since Stephen Milne propped and the ball bounced through for a behind. But at least that year, they were in the GF. This season was a nightmare. Injuries, lack of leadership and development, spineless efforts, coach under siege, club clean out … it was a crisis on all fronts. A reset was badly needed.

What year should you book your Grand Final tickets?

Despite the 2014-2018 “strategic framework” indicating it could be by next year, somewhere in the range of 2023-2025 seems more the case.
It was a touch year in charge for Alan Richardson. Picture: Michael Klein

WHO WILL MAKE THE NEXT FLAG SIDE?

B: Jake Carlisle, Logan Austin

HB: Dylan Roberton

MIDS: Jack Steele

HF:

F: Jade Gresham, Rowan Marshall, Paddy McCartin

Folls: Seb Ross

Inter:

TOP-RANKED SAINTS

SuperCoach points: Seb Ross 102.7

Disposals: Seb Ross 30.1

Kick rating: Jimmy Webster +6.8

Contested poss: Jack Steele 10.2

Uncontested poss: Seb Ross 20.2

Metres gained: Seb Ross 473

Intercept poss: Jake Carlisle 7.2

Goals: Jade Gresham 25

Score involvements: Jack Billings 6.4

Pressure points: Jack Steele 56.8

Source: Champion Data

loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints 2018 report card.

Thanks for the info in the link Saynta

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 05 Sep 2018 11:22am NEXT YEAR’S GOAL
Round 5

I am hoping we kick one before then - but the signs are not promising.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 05 Sep 2018 2:26pm
saynta wrote: Wed 05 Sep 2018 11:22am NEXT YEAR’S GOAL
Round 5

I am hoping we kick one before then - but the signs are not promising.
I reckon we might go back to back in round one.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

WHO WINS B&F: Seb Ross

So Robbo asked Richo off camera in the FoxFooty studios who the Cho thought would win the TB Medal and the Cho reckons it's Sebby. The Cho really values those uncostested possies and some of those 40 m kicks that go straight up in the air and land in the same spot
Last edited by Scollop on Wed 05 Sep 2018 2:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Wed 05 Sep 2018 11:22am .... the fourth season in six with six wins or less..... but
For anyone questioning if we apply for a priority pick, I give you Exhibit A.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 05 Sep 2018 2:37pm WHO WINS B&F: Seb Ross

So Robbo asked Richo off camera in the FoxFooty studios who the Cho thought would win the TB Medal and the Cho reckons it's Sebby. The Cho really values those 40 m kicks that go straight up in the air and land in the same spot
"Metres gained: Seb Ross 473"

:roll:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 05 Sep 2018 2:40pm

So Robbo asked Richo off camera in the FoxFooty studios who the Cho thought would win the TB Medal and the Cho reckons it's Sebby. The Cho really values those 40 m kicks that go straight up in the air and land in the same spot

I wasn't going to mention his long bombs that are kicked to a 3 on 1 outnumber in the forward line ( or his turnovers ) but now that you bring up that stat, you've forced my hand 8-)

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Saddest thing is that seb may be our b&f and will win it due to limited competition. High numbers but how many are impacting plays. Webster for me this year

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Interesting names in THE NEXT FLAG SIDE or should I say interesting ommissions. No Billings, no Acres, no Webster, no Steven.

Out of the younger ones, no Clark, no Coffield, no Battle. Those I can understand, effectively one year in.

What does Robbo know or what's been leaked to leave Billings and Acres out? Webster more likely an oversight. Steven possibly too old by 2023??? Seems odd. I would have thought Billings, Acres and Bruce have shown a bit more than Paddy.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Wed 05 Sep 2018 2:48pm
saynta wrote: Wed 05 Sep 2018 2:40pm

I wasn't going to mention his long bombs that are kicked to a 3 on 1 outnumber in the forward line ( or his turnovers ) but now that you bring up that stat, you've forced my hand 8-)
Precisely. You also forgot the bit about Seb's lack of defensive run. The likelihood of Ross winning back to back B & F's at tonight's funeral/wake makes me sick - talk about devaluing the award. Can you imagine the utterly uninspiring dribble that the King of Dribble is going to spew forth from the lectern on stage tonight?

If ever there was a year to just cancel it altogether and do a skills session under lights somewhere instead ...

Go you red, black & white warriors