Some Richo Insight into What to Expect Next Year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintadamski
Club Player

Re: Some Richo Insight into What to Expect Next Year

spert wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 3:41pm
saintadamski wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 3:27pm
samoht wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 12:14pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 11:49am The head coach runs the show. The only bloke responsible for the way his players play and the 'system' or gameplan if you like, is the head coach (especially after 5 years at the helm). There are no excuses in an industry that is based on winning. How long do you need to see that Richo does not have what it takes? If results and a win loss ratio are not proof, perhaps the murmurring from Roo in the media this year and the murmurring that some of our best players want out is.

Richo's main problem imo is that he is weak. This causes issues in the playing group and it is evident in our results this year. There are issues permeating throughout the club. Who the hell thinks we can just tinker with the playing list and Richo will start winning? We are 3rd in disposals and guys like Seb Ross have been allowed to continue to get 30 possessions per game without much of an impact on score involvements. Why is that?

If my cattle don't do as I tell them I crack the whip and get the kelpies to lead them where they're supposed to go. If my cattle don't want to listen I'll send them to the abattoir.
What show did multiple premiership-winning head coach Malthouse run after he replaced Ratten at Carlton? Why were carlton pathetic with such a proven coach?
If you have a look at our list, we are probably where we should be at, based on talent.
We have good ball winners, like Ross and Steven who are a mixed bag - their kicking lets them down too often at times; it's too inconsistent. They might create a goal and then undo their good work by turning it over, and we get scored against.
Our cattle is the run-of-the-mill type, not Wagyu.
Completely agree with you samoht

If everything was the coaches doing, then Carlton would have won multiple premierships under Malthouse - a multiple premiership winning coach
If everything was the coaches doing, then why did Geelong win a premiership in 2011 in Scott's FIRST YEAR THERE!....only to fall away after the better players left the building.
If everything is the coach, how did Hardwick...who was 80% out the door, and couldn't win a final, wn a premiership within 12 months....after recruiting the likes of Prestia, Nankervis, Caddy etc

If anything, these examples show that it's the list that counts more than the coach.

So according to 'the coach is everything' argument, Michael Jordan was one of the greatest basketball players of all time - due to the Chicago Bulls coach Phil Jackson!!!?? The word Bulls.... is definitely in the answer

The coach can guide, but it's the players that execute and are born with talent.

Our list is incredibly poor. Our recruitment is incredibly poor....we have very few truly talented players.

Clarko, Malthouse, Hardwick would get no where with our list!

Phrases like "The coach runs the show" and "Players play for the coach" are the most absurd statements I've ever heard.
Sack the coach- he is out of his league basically.
Sure thing...then what? ...Watch spuds like Newnes and Weller all of a sudden lead us to a glorious flag?

I'm no Richo fan...but I know that the list must be corrected...this is essential

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Urgh, cannot bear the thought of Richardson still being at the helm next year. Hasn't that guy got any dignity?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Scollop wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 1:22pm
Richo was hired to be the head coach in charge of our rebuild. He's been there 5 years and the growth and development of most of pur players has stagnated. What I saw this year and for a few matches in late 2017 (even with Roo and Joey in the team) was a distinct lack of cohesion and systems. This has snowballed in 2018 into more and more losses and horrendous displays of Saints footy like we saw on Good Friday.

The lack of self belief permeates and destroys any confidence that was left in this group. The scapegoating of players and the talk about the group meeding experienced leaders to replace current team members by Richo and the party line by some other admin people blaming the skills of the players was pathetic. Richo and this CEO and admin have been in charge for 5 years.

Guys like Membrey, Roberton, Steele and Carlisle chose to come to St Kilda for more opportunities or because they weren't happy at their previous club. Where is the evidence that Richo has had an influence on these guys development, their growth and learning or their motivation? I personally cannot credit Richo with the development or the consistency in performance from these guys.
I'm not blaming or scapegoating players - they are playing at the best of their abilities. It's not their fault if they are not elite kicks, and not everyone can be an elite kick under pressure.
Ross and Steven for example don't use the ball as well as Jack Steele, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Dustin Martin, Cotchin,Houli, Brayshaw, De Goey, etc.. under pressure - I'm stating a fact, without disparaging them.
Brendon Goddard came to us as an elite kick as a 17 year old, but he's not as quick and could never become as quick as Steven and Ross. All players have their attributes, strengths and weaknesses.

Membrey, Roberton, Steele all became players and progressed strongly under Richo, after leaving their original clubs - as did Ross (progress strongly, that is) with his breakout year, etc, and it's up to other players who are floundering to similarly work their butts off, take ownership and improve. What's stopping them? --- Richo's game plan? - I don't think so.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

When we played Geelong and continually kicked long to an outnumbered and undersized forwardline.......
that was not a skill problem. That was a coaching problem.

And the games with Geary as our rebounding loose man?

There were numerous examples of similar throughout the year.

No wonder players lack confidence when the game plan is self defeating.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Nick O'Kearney was a good kick. We delisted him at the end of 2017 before he was even tried at seniors level. Apparantly he did everything that was asked of him amd he played some very good games for Sandringham and was a diilgent professional with training etc..

Bailey Rice is a good kick but was headed the same way as Nick up until injuries forced the coaches hand. Same scenario with Lewy Pearce.

Brandon White is a good kick. Can't get a game because apparantly we have better players that are part of our winning culture and are in front of him when it comes to team balance we need to retain them for when we are ready to challenge

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 4:24pm What's stopping them? --- Richo's game plan? - I don't think so.
I absolutely think our game plan stifles the development of plenty of players.

Even our good players, are incredibly ineffective due to the way we're instructed to move the ball and how we're structured all over the ground.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

"FLAT HANDS", I've heard it all now. If only Plugger & Stewie had flat hands instead of marking the ball we would have won several flags in the 90's. Really?

Seems like the old, if you can't mark it, make sure they don't! Sadly for us, Bruce & McCartin are not strong marks & their defenders do mark it.

Robbo wanted to come back to Victoria, Freo did not want him to leave. He was progressing nicely at Freo. Steele was always very good, salary cap and a long queue of talented mids meant we were lucky enough to get him. His desire to get the best from himself sets him apart.

Richo has some talented youngsters but they seem disillusioned and many seem scapegoats to cover up what I believe are his and his assistants shortcomings.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Imagine how good some of these players would be under a good coach!

saintadamski
Club Player

spert wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 6:00pm Imagine how good some of these players would be under a good coach!
Here we go with "the coach is god and can make superstars out of spuds" BS again

If the footy club's administration shares the opinion of many on here, that we have a wonderful list...the next few years are gonna hurt bad!

We are somewhere between "Hurts Plenty" and "Oh Sh*t"...but could get worse with this 'list is wonderful' BS

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I don't think many on here think our current list will lead us to the promised land but quite a few believe our list should be looking a lot better with a man who's had it for five years. We quite rightly should be seeing a spike, even small in performance. Sadly it seems flatlining is a positive for some.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Scollop wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 5:11pm Nick O'Kearney was a good kick. We delisted him at the end of 2017 before he was even tried at seniors level. Apparantly he did everything that was asked of him amd he played some very good games for Sandringham and was a diilgent professional with training etc..

Bailey Rice is a good kick but was headed the same way as Nick up until injuries forced the coaches hand. Same scenario with Lewy Pearce.

Brandon White is a good kick. Can't get a game because apparantly we have better players that are part of our winning culture and are in front of him when it comes to team balance we need to retain them for when we are ready to challenge
I agree that Rice and Pierce could have and should have got a go earlier. Maybe we couldn't afford 6 ruckmen and 10 half back flankers on the payroll - as we wouldn't have any bickies left for an A grade free agent?
We're like hoarders at St Kilda --- we kept recruiting the same types --- it's as if we can't have too many ruckmen, inside midfielders or half back flankers. But then how do you keep them all on the payroll?

Nick O Kearney, Brandon White and Nathan Wright are all very lightly framed - that might be what held them back?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I've been ridiculed on here for saying it but my view is it's not just the game plan (although obviously the game plan has to make sense!) - but it's "buy-in" to the game plan. Every player has to believe in it. IMO that's how we managed to draw the 2010 grand final. Every player on that field believed that Ross's gameplan could deliver a flag. (I know it didn't - but I don't think we could ever have got that close if the players hadn't believed in it to a man.)

Maybe - just maybe - even with Richo at the helm, there'll be a new plan (courtesy of Ratten?) that every player can get behind. In my view it only takes one player to believe the gameplan's bullsh*t and we're screwed.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

saintadamski wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 6:10pm
spert wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 6:00pm Imagine how good some of these players would be under a good coach!
Here we go with "the coach is god and can make superstars out of spuds" BS again

If the footy club's administration shares the opinion of many on here, that we have a wonderful list...the next few years are gonna hurt bad!

We are somewhere between "Hurts Plenty" and "Oh Sh*t"...but could get worse with this 'list is wonderful' BS

Takes me back to a brief Doom addiction in the 90s

Nee!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 7:57am
What Richo highlighted, and what he clearly believes if the answer to football, and what clearly has rendered us useless is actually Richmond's Plan B. Not their 'go to', not their Plan A. There's a reason Clarkson referred to them as 'grubby goals' - because you don't win games from doing it every week. You need to be able to to do it when the time is right - but if it's your Plan A, you're rooted. It's simply not efficient enough, and definitely not sustainable.
Sorry RF but that is bullshite

I am not Richo's greatest fan but at no stage did he say or even allude to the fact that his Plan A was to clearly instruct our players NOT to mark the ball but to bring it forward at every opportunity.

They showed 2 clips of Richmond forward attacks where their forwards went for marks and in one case the ball dropped forward because the Tiger player dropped the mark and the other case where the ball was punched forward as the Tiger player was clearly out positioned - both times Richmond had players near he front of the pack and both times it went directly to them and they kicked goals.

It would be every teams game plan to mark the ball first when possible and if not bring the ball forward where team mates should run to - they just showed some classic examples where it worked having players front and centre.

Re; Richmond gameplan - it is plain obvious that their strong cohesive defence has allowed their other players to take chances and predominantly move forward as they know more often than not the ball will rebound out of defence - that's why great defences win Championships as the other players aren't needed down back to help out and can concentrate on moving the ball into the forward half or becoming a forward target themselves - of course pace, endurance and half decent skills help but they trust their defence set up so implicitly it allows them to play with a more attacking mind set.

Like I said I am not Richo's greatest fan but hey BASH away and be sure to make stuff as you go along if you like

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 7:13pm
What Richo highlighted, and what he clearly believes if the answer to football, and what clearly has rendered us useless is actually Richmond's Plan B. Not their 'go to', not their Plan A. There's a reason Clarkson referred to them as 'grubby goals' - because you don't win games from doing it every week. You need to be able to to do it when the time is right - but if it's your Plan A, you're rooted. It's simply not efficient enough, and definitely not sustainable.

I am not Richo's greatest fan but at no stage did he say or even allude to the fact that his Plan A was to clearly instruct our players NOT to mark the ball but to bring it forward at every opportunity.
I didn't say that he did.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 7:18pm

You said he clearly believes it is the answer to football - which is BS

And you insinuated that it is his Plan A - which again is BS

saintadamski
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 7:37pm

Not a Richo fan...but pretty sure his plan A would be for forwards to mark the ball, as any coach's plan would be that.
The problem is, we don't have the cattle to carry out any real 'game plan' anyway

No tackles Newnes
Go astray Geary
Wayward Weller
Straying Savage
Misplaced McCartin

the list goes on

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

So as I said, I never said he said it last night.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 8:02pm

Why are you then saying he clearly believes it is the answer to football and insinuating that it is his Plan A?

Cmon Rog we all know that this is clearly bullshite

What is clear is that Richo superhaters will stop at nothing to twist anything they can to make him look useless

takeaway
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 8:02pm

So you are now saying that as you said you never said he said it last night even though on reading your post you seemed to say that he said it last night.
Another great Richo thread.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

I think Richo coached for his career, and not for the betterment of the list and the club for the last 1/3 of the season.

He played it safe to avoid potential floggings and the sack, as oppossed to having a good look at the list.

We’re now stuck with Richo and we’ve delisted some players that haven’t had a decent crack at it.

I’m so disillusioned with the club atm.

Imo we’re being mismanaged on a few levels.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Devilhead wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 7:37pm ...Cmon Rog we all know that this is clearly bullshite...
Leave me out of that ‘we’.

We’ve had 5 years to see what Richo stands for.

It appears RF is more on the money than not.

I’ve seen far more evidence to suggest that RF’s analysis is pretty close.

I haven’t seen much to suggest that his game plan is going to take us anywhere accept further down the ladder.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 8:15pm

Why are you then saying he clearly believes it is the answer to football and insinuating that it is his Plan A?

Cmon Rog we all know that this is clearly bullshite

What is clear is that Richo superhaters will stop at nothing to twist anything they can to make him look useless
I've been posting about, and highlighting examples of it for months.

I've been bumping posts highlighting examples of it that were written 18 months ago.

If it is not his Plan A, his players have been ignoring his directives for over 2 years.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 8:21pm

So you are now saying that as you said you never said he said it last night even though on reading your post you seemed to say that he said it last night.
Another great Richo thread.
You probably just need to read my post again.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Richo is a moron and a simpleton.

He needs to go.

It is that simple.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.