Some Richo Insight into What to Expect Next Year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Some Richo Insight into What to Expect Next Year

Leo.J wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 8:38pm
Devilhead wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 7:37pm ...Cmon Rog we all know that this is clearly bullshite...
Leave me out of that ‘we’.

We’ve had 5 years to see what Richo stands for.

It appears RF is more on the money than not.

I’ve seen far more evidence to suggest that RF’s analysis is pretty close.

I haven’t seen much to suggest that his game plan is going to take us anywhere accept further down the ladder.
So you too think Richo's Plan A is for our forwards to purposely drops marks and palm the ball forward to team mates at the front of packs? Cause this is what RF is insinuating

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 8:40pm
Devilhead wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 8:15pm

Why are you then saying he clearly believes it is the answer to football and insinuating that it is his Plan A?

Cmon Rog we all know that this is clearly bullshite

What is clear is that Richo superhaters will stop at nothing to twist anything they can to make him look useless
I've been posting about, and highlighting examples of it for months.

I've been bumping posts highlighting examples of it that were written 18 months ago.

If it is not his Plan A, his players have been ignoring his directives for over 2 years.
So its a mistake when we do take a mark in our forward half? :shock:

Seriously your insinuation is clearly ridiculous

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 8:50pm

Why are you then saying he clearly believes it is the answer to football and insinuating that it is his Plan A?

What is clear is that Richo superhaters will stop at nothing to twist anything they can to make him look useless

I've been bumping posts highlighting examples of it that were written 18 months ago.

If it is not his Plan A, his players have been ignoring his directives for over 2 years.

It's not an insinuation.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 11:12pm

It's not an insinuation.
So just to make this clear - you are implying that Richo's Plan A for our forwards is NOT to mark the ball but to bring it down front and center of the pack so our other players can take possession even when it's a clear marking opportunity?

A yes or no answer will suffice

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 12:41am
rodgerfox wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 11:12pm

It's not an insinuation.
So just to make this clear - you are implying that Richo's Plan A for our forwards is NOT to mark the ball but to bring it down front and center of the pack so our other players can take possession even when it's a clear marking opportunity?

A yes or no answer will suffice
I'm not implying, or insinuating anything.

I've straight out been stating it as my opinion for over two years.

So have others.

Richo's 'expert' analysis merely reinforced it.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Shouldnt matter.
Hopefully his sorry arse will be out the door by round 5.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I actually just watched that 360, it was about understanding what "grubby goals" were. In fairness to him, I don't believe he was subscribing to that being the ideal way to bring the ball in but in times when it does go in like that, Richmond just ask for a contest and their running places get there to take advantage of the contest.

The most interesting thing I took from the show was he took Battle to the Hawthorn final to watch Gunston & White to the Geelong final to watch Tuohy. I thought that was good thinking & flies in the face of him not speaking to White.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 11:19am I actually just watched that 360, it was about understanding what "grubby goals" were. In fairness to him, I don't believe he was subscribing to that being the ideal way to bring the ball in but in times when it does go in like that, Richmond just ask for a contest and their running places get there to take advantage of the contest.

The most interesting thing I took from the show was he took Battle to the Hawthorn final to watch Gunston & White to the Geelong final to watch Tuohy. I thought that was good thinking & flies in the face of him not speaking to White.
When you combine his glowing analysis with watching us play under him for the past 5 years, it's very easy to draw the conclusion that the way we enter F50 is no accident.

FWIW, I also note that GWS and Port do the same.

They are way, way too predictable. Just like us.

GWS got lucky with Patton going down, as it forced Cameron to rethink it.

Hinkley however, clearly sees the ideal entry is to go to Dixon in a contest, and for him to bring it to ground.

They do it time, and time, and time again.

GWS and Port are 4th and 6th respectively for Inside 50s this year.

But they are 11th and 13th for Marks Inside 50.

And these guys have Dixon, Patton and Cameron in there.

They are 11th and 12th in the comp for Goals.

Richmond are second in all 3 areas.

They actually mark the ball in there 13 times a week - and Jack Riewoldt averages only 3 of these. So they're not big contested marks, they're finding targets in there.

They use the ball with intent, and lower the eyes to find targets. What Richo was talking about on Monday night, and what we, GWS and Port do far, far too much of should only ever be Plan B.

As I've said over the journey, and as many others have repeatedly pointed out over the past two years on here - we do this almost every time we enter the F50.

It's clearly a system.

takeaway
Club Player

Yes, clearly a system when no other options are there, but with big forwards injured and a forward line not functioning that well, we had to do it far more often this year than desirable.

As for being Plan A, that is rubbish.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 12:56pm Yes, clearly a system when no other options are there, but with big forwards injured and a forward line not functioning that well, we had to do it far more often this year than desirable.

How do we explain the chronic overuse of this same strategy during the previous two seasons then?

takeaway
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 2:04pm
takeaway wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 12:56pm Yes, clearly a system when no other options are there, but with big forwards injured and a forward line not functioning that well, we had to do it far more often this year than desirable.

How do we explain the chronic overuse of this same strategy during the previous two seasons then?
I wouldn't say "chronic" overuse. Over recent years we have not been the best disposers of the ball and players like Ross tend to kick high floaters, and with Roo going up to the wing in 2017, we had to adjust to him not leading everywhere in the forward line, and get a new forward structure to jell - this led to some excessive bombing, but not chronic. In 2016, when Roo was still leading hard at the ball, were we instructing him to knock it down to the forwards instead of attempting to mark it? Yeah sure.

I would think bombing the ball in for the forwards to knock down is about Plan C for most clubs, including Port & GWS. The main aim is to get it to a forward in the clear, or at least with a fair chance one on one. If that is not possible, chipping sideways to shift the defenders is another plan, or the bomb to a dangerous area.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 5:35pm

I wouldn't say "chronic" overuse. Over recent years we have not been the best disposers of the ball and players like Ross tend to kick high floaters, and with Roo going up to the wing in 2017, we had to adjust to him not leading everywhere in the forward line, and get a new forward structure to jell - this led to some excessive bombing, but not chronic. In 2016, when Roo was still leading hard at the ball, were we instructing him to knock it down to the forwards instead of attempting to mark it? Yeah sure.

I would think bombing the ball in for the forwards to knock down is about Plan C for most clubs, including Port & GWS. The main aim is to get it to a forward in the clear, or at least with a fair chance one on one. If that is not possible, chipping sideways to shift the defenders is another plan, or the bomb to a dangerous area.
Several posters on here have highlighted it time and time again for 2 years.

takeaway
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 5:46pm
takeaway wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 5:35pm

Several posters on here have highlighted it time and time again for 2 years.
Several posters on SS? That doesn't mean much at all. There is no doubt however that the players need to lower their eyes more going forward, improve their kicking, and the forwards need to jell better and learn how to use space. Not an easy task, and hopefully the new coaches will help.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 6:08pm

Several posters on SS? That doesn't mean much at all. There is no doubt however that the players need to lower their eyes more going forward, improve their kicking, and the forwards need to jell better and learn how to use space. Not an easy task, and hopefully the new coaches will help.
Several posters have repeatedly flagged this issue and cited copious examples of it happening, week after week. For two years!

We, me included, gave the coaches the benefit of the doubt that it was a case of the players ignoring their instructions. But after watching it happen over and over again for 3 years, you eventually concede that it's a directive.

Watch Richo gush over the few examples of Richmond doing it, just further supports that he's fully behind the players doing it.

Selection also gives insight into what is coaching directive, and which players are ignoring the coach.

McCartin is picked every week. And he averages 4 marks a week as a key forward! He average 1 Mark Inside 50!

He's clearly doing what the coach wants him to do. Ross, Newnes and co. that continually just bomb it in to 're hit spot' get picked week in week out.

The evidence just mounts and mounts that it's clearly a specific instruction and strategy to bomb it as Plan A, and for the key target to bring it to the front as their first priority.

takeaway
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 6:43pm
takeaway wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 6:08pm

Several posters have repeatedly flagged this issue and cited copious examples of it happening, week after week. For two years!

We, me included, gave the coaches the benefit of the doubt that it was a case of the players ignoring their instructions. But after watching it happen over and over again for 3 years, you eventually concede that it's a directive.

Watch Richo gush over the few examples of Richmond doing it, just further supports that he's fully behind the players doing it.

Selection also gives insight into what is coaching directive, and which players are ignoring the coach.

McCartin is picked every week. And he averages 4 marks a week as a key forward! He average 1 Mark Inside 50!

He's clearly doing what the coach wants him to do. Ross, Newnes and co. that continually just bomb it in to 're hit spot' get picked week in week out.

The evidence just mounts and mounts that it's clearly a specific instruction and strategy to bomb it as Plan A, and for the key target to bring it to the front as their first priority.
Coaching directive? Evidence mounts and mounts? Rubbish. We agree to disagree. Bombing to a dangerous hit spot is carried out by all teams, virtually when they have no better option or can just get a hack kick, never a permanent Plan A - for any team, including Moorabbin U 14s.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

If that is the case then why do the players that consistently bomb it while under no or little pressure continue to get picked?

Unless the coach is ok with it.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Well, you'd have to replace them with players who don't constantly bomb it in - and who are you thinking of exactly?