Mc Cartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mc Cartin

takeaway wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 11:32pm
The_Dud wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 11:13pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 10:49pm Should never gamble with top pick. Easy in hind sight but just silly
No hind sight needed. It was obvious at the time to everyone in football, apart from us it seems, that Petracca was the clear number 1 choice.

Everyone involved in making that decision should no longer be at the club.
Disagree. I think Brayshaw is proving to be the best choice.
By an absolute mile!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 11:36pm
The_Dud wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 10:28pm Gee, that Petracca kid looks alright right now for the Dees...
Really?

I reckon had about 3 effective disposals all night.

Just kept coughing it up to the Hawks over and over again.

Looked out his depth I thought for the second week in a row.
Must have been watching different games, thought he looked great, won a lot of 50/50s and was damaging with his disposals. The commentators agreed also noting it was probably the most impressive game of his career.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 10:49pm Should never gamble with top pick. Easy in hind sight but just silly
No hind sight needed. It was obvious at the time to everyone in football, apart from us it seems, that Petracca was the clear number 1 choice.

Yep, but we'd be better off with either of them.

Nee!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 11:40pm
The_Dud wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 10:28pm Gee, that Petracca kid looks alright right now for the Dees...
Really?

Must have been watching different games, thought he looked great, won a lot of 50/50s and was damaging with his disposals. The commentators agreed also noting it was probably the most impressive game of his career.
Funny you say that.

We were laughing about that last night whilst watching the game. The media have a 'narrative' about Petracca, and finally last week someone (I think it was Lloyd) called out how average he's been. He didn't slam him quite that hard - but clearly stated that he's one of the young guys at Melbourne that just isn't performing. He's not a dud, don't get me wrong. But he's far, far from being a gun.

Last night the narrative was in full swing! We were laughing that if you had the commentary turned down, you'd rightly think Petracca was having a stinker. But with the commentary turned up, Bruce and co. would lead you to believe he was the next Leigh Matthews!
He had 6 touches in the first quarter, and turned 4 of them over. And apparently that was an incredible start for him??

He coughed it up over and over again with poor Inside 50s and panicked handballs. I actually thought the crowd groaned when he picked out a Hawthorn player in the F50 at one point - then there was some bronx cheers when he finally hit up a Melbourne forward.

Far from a dud, but very, very far from me bemoaning that we didn't pick him up with the no. 1 pick.

DeGoey was the one that got away, followed by Lever - then a gap to Brayshaw. Petracca way back in the pack in my opinion.

Thinking about it, I'd probably rate Jack Steele higher than him from that Draft.

BenLong#21
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Sat 15 Sep 2018 12:02am

Brayshaw is very impressive.
I had my doubts about him originally but I was wrong.
He is bloody good. And tough.

chico2001
Club Player

BenLong#21 wrote: Sat 15 Sep 2018 10:02am
fugazi wrote: Sat 15 Sep 2018 12:02am

Brayshaw is very impressive.
I had my doubts about him originally but I was wrong.
He is bloody good. And tough.
Brayshaw is not a bad player and the Dees have picked some good ones, they are competative and attack the ball and the man, which is what wins you finals most of the time. I thought Petracca played well, everyone has an opinion on him but I think he has upside

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Sat 15 Sep 2018 10:34am I thought Petracca played well, everyone has an opinion on him but I think he has upside
I think he'll get better.

But man he coughs the pill up a lot. Fumbles too.

I think he goes at about only 65% efficiency!

At this stage, after 62 games, I think his kicking has clearly been identified as a real weakness. It can be hard to turn that around. Many don't.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Sat 15 Sep 2018 9:59am
The_Dud wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 11:40pm
Really?

Funny you say that.

We were laughing about that last night whilst watching the game. The media have a 'narrative' about Petracca, and finally last week someone (I think it was Lloyd) called out how average he's been. He didn't slam him quite that hard - but clearly stated that he's one of the young guys at Melbourne that just isn't performing. He's not a dud, don't get me wrong. But he's far, far from being a gun.

Last night the narrative was in full swing! We were laughing that if you had the commentary turned down, you'd rightly think Petracca was having a stinker. But with the commentary turned up, Bruce and co. would lead you to believe he was the next Leigh Matthews!
He had 6 touches in the first quarter, and turned 4 of them over. And apparently that was an incredible start for him??

He coughed it up over and over again with poor Inside 50s and panicked handballs. I actually thought the crowd groaned when he picked out a Hawthorn player in the F50 at one point - then there was some bronx cheers when he finally hit up a Melbourne forward.

Far from a dud, but very, very far from me bemoaning that we didn't pick him up with the no. 1 pick.

DeGoey was the one that got away, followed by Lever - then a gap to Brayshaw. Petracca way back in the pack in my opinion.

Thinking about it, I'd probably rate Jack Steele higher than him from that Draft.
Again, I’m going to have to disagree, and the stats seem to be on my side. 22 touches (2nd highest for Melb) at 72%, 7 score involvements, 7 inside 50, 1 goal and 4 clangers.

Not saying he’s Dangerfield, but he’s more than capable and only getting better, and clearly miles ahead of Paddy and would waltz into our side right now.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 15 Sep 2018 10:54am

Again, I’m going to have to disagree, and the stats seem to be on my side. 22 touches (2nd highest for Melb) at 72%, 7 score involvements, 7 inside 50, 1 goal and 4 clangers.

Not saying he’s Dangerfield, but he’s more than capable and only getting better, and clearly miles ahead of Paddy and would waltz into our side right now.
Well to be fair - McCartin also waltzes into our team at the moment! So that's not saying much!

His 4 Clangers were all Inside 50s. And some of his butchering of the ball didn't count officially as a Clanger, as it went to a contest - even though he missed him man by a fair margin.

For a half forward, that's really quite bad. The Clanger leaders in the comp are guys like Fyfe, Martin, Dangerfield, Cripps and Oliver etc. who are under constant, absolute heat for 120 minutes and getting tagged. Most of these guys in the top 40 for Clangers all average up towards 30 touches a week too. Petracca pretty much gets to run around on his own as a half forward, with Viney, Oliver, Harmes and half a dozen other mids/half forwards taking all the heat.
Yet he still has Clanger numbers up in the top 40 of the comp. He's only 1 more Clanger per week away from being in the Top 5 in the comp in that stat, yet he only gets the ball less than 20 times a week.

You need to remember, that Melbourne are number 1 in the comp for Disposals, Inside 50s, and Goal Assists. That is a half forward's dream!

I do think he'll get better, as he gets more experience. But his kicking is pretty poor, and I'm not totally sure about his decision making either. He's being given the absolute dream start to his career though in terms of development, with the position he's playing and the team he is in.

saint64
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Sat 15 Sep 2018 11:29am

Well to be fair - McCartin also waltzes into our team at the moment! So that's not saying much!

His 4 Clangers were all Inside 50s. And some of his butchering of the ball didn't count officially as a Clanger, as it went to a contest - even though he missed him man by a fair margin.

For a half forward, that's really quite bad. The Clanger leaders in the comp are guys like Fyfe, Martin, Dangerfield, Cripps and Oliver etc. who are under constant, absolute heat for 120 minutes and getting tagged. Most of these guys in the top 40 for Clangers all average up towards 30 touches a week too. Petracca pretty much gets to run around on his own as a half forward, with Viney, Oliver, Harmes and half a dozen other mids/half forwards taking all the heat.
Yet he still has Clanger numbers up in the top 40 of the comp. He's only 1 more Clanger per week away from being in the Top 5 in the comp in that stat, yet he only gets the ball less than 20 times a week.

You need to remember, that Melbourne are number 1 in the comp for Disposals, Inside 50s, and Goal Assists. That is a half forward's dream!

I do think he'll get better, as he gets more experience. But his kicking is pretty poor, and I'm not totally sure about his decision making either. He's being given the absolute dream start to his career though in terms of development, with the position he's playing and the team he is in.
McCartin waltzes into our team right now? How so? How is he in front of Bruce, Marshall, Battle, Membrey, etc, etc?
Petracca looked great last night and is exactly the sort of player we needed and still need. What a complete balls up that decision was in the 2014 draft. Elshaugh has to take a lot of the blame, but who was standing up to him? Where were the checks and balances?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

You make some valid points Rodger, but can’t agree with the majority of your post.

The dream start was interrupted by a knee reco in season 1, and this also flared up in pre-season two which didn’t help him build a strong fitness base. Young guys can take 3-4 pre-seasons to get to elite level, especially a big body who is not naturally an erotic beast.

Yes he had some changers last night but had them taking the game on not chipping backward under no pressure. I thought Petracca looked very dangerous when he got it last night and was hot in the 2nd 1/4 when the game was in the balance, particularly the contested mark, play on and hit up (was it McDonald?) for a shot on goal.

I’d be very excited by what I see in Petracca if I was a demon fan, has x-factor and a little bit of a young Dangerfield about him.

I recall Neil Craig being unhappy about the fitness and work rate of a young Dangerfield in his first couple of seasons at the crows.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
BenLong#21
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 15 Sep 2018 12:04pm

You make some valid points Rodger, but can’t agree with the majority of your post.

The dream start was interrupted by a knee reco in season 1, and this also flared up in pre-season two which didn’t help him build a strong fitness base. Young guys can take 3-4 pre-seasons to get to elite level, especially a big body who is not naturally an erotic beast.

Yes he had some changers last night but had them taking the game on not chipping backward under no pressure. I thought Petracca looked very dangerous when he got it last night and was hot in the 2nd 1/4 when the game was in the balance, particularly the contested mark, play on and hit up (was it McDonald?) for a shot on goal.

I’d be very excited by what I see in Petracca if I was a demon fan, has x-factor and a little bit of a young Dangerfield about him.

I recall Neil Craig being unhappy about the fitness and work rate of a young Dangerfield in his first couple of seasons at the crows.
Dangerfield had 71 goals at the end of his 4th season. As a midfielder. More than double Paddy has at the same stage. Paddy cant play any position other than fwd.
In his 3rd season Dangerfield kicked 26 goals from 19 games. As a midfielder.
In his 5th season he went bezerk and was AA.
Last edited by BenLong#21 on Sat 15 Sep 2018 1:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

:shock:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BenLong#21
Club Player

De Goey is the one we really missed out on. He is an alpha dog.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saint64 wrote: Sat 15 Sep 2018 11:57am
McCartin waltzes into our team right now? How so? How is he in front of Bruce, Marshall, Battle, Membrey, etc, etc?
Petracca looked great last night and is exactly the sort of player we needed and still need. What a complete balls up that decision was in the 2014 draft. Elshaugh has to take a lot of the blame, but who was standing up to him? Where were the checks and balances?
?

Well he gets picked every week doesn't he?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

All the Melbourne fans I know are somewhat disappointed in him.

They feel he hasn't lived up to the expectation, and has fallen away quite significantly this year, when they hoped he'd step it up.

Interestingly, most non-Melbourne fans (that potentially get influenced by the commentary) reckon he's a superstar!

Would I swap McCartin for DeGoey? In a heartbeat.
Would I swap Lever for McCartin? In a heartbeat.
Would I swap Brayshaw? Yes.

Would I swap Petracca? Still not sure.
Last edited by rodgerfox on Sat 15 Sep 2018 1:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenLong#21
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sat 15 Sep 2018 12:36pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 15 Sep 2018 11:29am

Young guys can take 3-4 pre-seasons to get to elite level, especially a big body who is not naturally an erotic beast.
:D

BenLong#21
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Sat 15 Sep 2018 12:57pm
?

Does he?
He has played 18 VFL games and 35 AFL games in 4 seasons.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

BenLong#21 wrote: Sat 15 Sep 2018 1:12pm
?

Does he?
I thought he played every game this year that he was available for?

Peanut Farm
Club Player

Battle had a standout game against Melbourne - the whole team played exceptional that day however he had 2 stinkers against GWS & Richmond in rounds 18 & 19, then got injured against the Dogs. Battle's only played 7 games, so haven't seen anything just yet to suggest he is in from of Paddy

BenLong#21
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Sat 15 Sep 2018 1:15pm
BenLong#21 wrote: Sat 15 Sep 2018 1:12pm
?

Does he?
I thought he played every game this year that he was available for?
I think you are right about him not playing vfl in 2018.
His automatic inclusion in the afl side was controversial though. So was his sporadic availability. Wouldn't call him a 'walk up' start.
Last edited by BenLong#21 on Sun 16 Sep 2018 12:02am, edited 1 time in total.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 15 Sep 2018 12:36pm

:lol: :x :lol:

My auto correct must have linked up with my most frequent google searches.

Aerobic :wink:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
chico2001
Club Player

Lovely correction Joffa and glad you cleared that up. It also highlights the fact that people do take a keen interest in your mutterings.

Barneysaint
Club Player

Can't compare the 2. One is AA and one of the best readers of the game in the afl and takes pack mark's and a beautiful kick. Mccartin can't read the play, can't mark and can't kick. He gets pushed off the ball too easily. No comparison. He won't make it. Too unfit and too slow and been in the system 4 years.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Barneysaint wrote: Sat 15 Sep 2018 11:44pm Can't compare the 2. One is AA and one of the best readers of the game in the afl and takes pack mark's and a beautiful kick. Mccartin can't read the play, can't mark and can't kick. He gets pushed off the ball too easily. No comparison. He won't make it. Too unfit and too slow and been in the system 4 years.
Who are you comparing?