Goal of the Year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Re: Goal of the Year

The_Dud wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 8:03pm
sunsaint wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 7:55pm AFL over reacts to grumpy ole uproar
now EVERYTIME a player does a running bounce the umpires now have to call it throwing the ball
Another great point.

I look forward to the logic somersault the baby-boomer-brigade will perform to explain how a running bounce doesn’t involve throwing the ball :lol:

“It’s not a throw, more of a forceful drop...” :)
Of course as usual with AFL grumpy ole uproar over reaction rules they have to bring in a special Auskick Junior football exemption rule
Because it's pointed out to them every kid that kicks the ball flings it in the air to get the timing right

Seeya
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 3:11am
The_Dud wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 7:38pm Players throw the ball on to their boot all the time, so much that it’s literally a saying. Players on the ground do it all the time and no one says boo.

Great goal by Higgins

I’m sure all you sooky old-timers were crying there should have been a free kick paid at the 59 min mark of this video :roll:
Different situation. Being on the ground and throwing it on your boot has always been part of the game, but throwing the ball in the air, going into the crowd and buying a beer and then coming back to kick it is not.
So what you’re saying is some throws are more throws than other throws?

Take the post out of the equation and no one would bat an eyelid.

Great goal which everyone on here would be cheering about if he was wearing a Saints jumper.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Viking3
Club Player

Viking3 wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 3:19pm
The_Dud wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 2:26pm Goal of the year is never for the hardest goal kicked, but the flashiest, which that probably was.

Those saying it’s a throw is just a bunch of sour grapes too.
Then what is your take on how the ball managed to leave his hand?
Heaps of posts but still awaiting your response! :roll:

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
Saint 58
Club Player

If Jack Higgins did that in general play it would be deemed incorrect disposal, free kick against
Cos he did it at the goal line & it ended up a goal ... nothing to see here

Anyway my ORIGINAL point was Jack's goal wasn't even nominated !

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
kosifantutti wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 3:11am
The_Dud wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 7:38pm Players throw the ball on to their boot all the time, so much that it’s literally a saying. Players on the ground do it all the time and no one says boo.

Great goal by Higgins

I’m sure all you sooky old-timers were crying there should have been a free kick paid at the 59 min mark of this video :roll:
Different situation. Being on the ground and throwing it on your boot has always been part of the game, but throwing the ball in the air, going into the crowd and buying a beer and then coming back to kick it is not.
So what you’re saying is some throws are more throws than other throws?

Take the post out of the equation and no one would bat an eyelid.

Great goal which everyone on here would be cheering about if he was wearing a Saints jumper.
Take the post out of the equation and he wouldn’t do it.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

grey area. i'm pretty sure when they wrote the rule they didn't envisage this. you can dispose of the ball by kicking or handballing. there is nothing about how to kick the ball. commonsense prevailed. he threw it to his boot and kept it with a kicks length from him at all times. you can't drop the ball, but you can drop it to kick it. you can't throw the ball, but you can throw it to kick it.
great smart thinking goal. a milne type goal, and if he'd kicked it we would all be cheering. of course if he'd kicked it it wouldn't have won goty.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Viking3 wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 3:18pm
The_Dud wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 2:26pm Goal of the year is never for the hardest goal kicked, but the flashiest, which that probably was.

He gently lobbed it in the air, a throw if you will, just like how players throw the ball to kick it all the time, or throw the ball into the ground to bounce it. Desertsaint summed it up perfectly.

Great thinking by Higgins, play on, goal.

Viking3
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 6:07pm

He gently lobbed it in the air, a throw if you will, just like how players throw the ball to kick it all the time, or throw the ball into the ground to bounce it. Desertsaint summed it up perfectly.

Clutching at straws if comparing it to a bounce or a standard kick!
So if a player runs at you, you can "gently" toss it over their head , run around them and retake possession.
I think not.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Viking3 wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 12:05am

So if a player runs at you, you can "gently" toss it over their head , run around them and retake possession.
I think not.
For those who didn’t understand it the first time...
desertsaint wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 5:00pm grey area. i'm pretty sure when they wrote the rule they didn't envisage this. you can dispose of the ball by kicking or handballing. there is nothing about how to kick the ball. commonsense prevailed. he threw it to his boot and kept it with a kicks length from him at all times. you can't drop the ball, but you can drop it to kick it. you can't throw the ball, but you can throw it to kick it.
great smart thinking goal. a milne type goal, and if he'd kicked it we would all be cheering. of course if he'd kicked it it wouldn't have won goty.

Viking3
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 2:21pm

I think not.
desertsaint wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 5:00pm grey area. i'm pretty sure when they wrote the rule they didn't envisage this. you can dispose of the ball by kicking or handballing. there is nothing about how to kick the ball. commonsense prevailed. he threw it to his boot and kept it with a kicks length from him at all times. you can't drop the ball, but you can drop it to kick it. you can't throw the ball, but you can throw it to kick it.
Now, as you have no answer, you use someone else's post to try to explain your position.
So far you have called/intimated those who don't agree with you;
- "sour grapes"
- "sooky old timers"
- "logic somersault...baby-boomer-brigade"
Denigrating doesn't make you right.
By the way the post you are using as gospel is as flawed as your arguments. "he threw it to his boot" Come on, we aren't blind or stupid. He threw it in the air, dodged around the goal post and retook possession before he kicked it. So there are 2 pertinent actions between "threw" and "boot".

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but at least use actual facts and leave the personal asides out of it.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

viking have you actually watched that goal again? he never retook possession. he flipped it up and kicked it - threw it exactly where his foot met it more or less a second later. like all kicks. just a fraction more airtime.
threw it to his boot, or more precisely, where his boot was about to be.
GOAL!
GOAL OF THE YEAR!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Viking3 wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 4:40pm

I think not.
Now, as you have no answer, you use someone else's post to try to explain your position.
- "sour grapes"
- "sooky old timers"
By the way the post you are using as gospel is as flawed as your arguments. "he threw it to his boot" Come on, we aren't blind or stupid. He threw it in the air, dodged around the goal post and retook possession before he kicked it. So there are 2 pertinent actions between "threw" and "boot".

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but at least use actual facts and leave the personal asides out of it.
Why would I type out a long winded response when someone already has? I’m happy to give credit to others.

Those who oppose this goal, whether on this forum or out in general public, are just sooking because their bloke didn’t kick the goal, and if a player from the team they support kicked that goal to win a game they wouldn’t be saying boo about it, 100%. If you put yourself in that category then that’s not my problem. Try take off the St Kilda goggles and look at it objectively.

What is the difference between the Higgins goal and Guerra’s? Both ‘threw’ the ball upwards so they could get their boot to it.

And maybe watch the goal again to check those ‘facts’ you’re on about, before you get any more egg on your face. I’d love to know where he apparently retook possession before kicking the goal... :shock:

Viking3
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 8:20pm
Viking3 wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 4:40pm

I think not.
- "sour grapes"
- "sooky old timers"

Why would I type out a long winded response when someone already has? I’m happy to give credit to others.

Those who oppose this goal, whether on this forum or out in general public, are just sooking because their bloke didn’t kick the goal, and if a player from the team they support kicked that goal to win a game they wouldn’t be saying boo about it, 100%. If you put yourself in that category then that’s not my problem. Try take off the St Kilda goggles and look at it objectively.

What is the difference between the Higgins goal and Guerra’s? Both ‘threw’ the ball upwards so they could get their boot to it.

And maybe watch the goal again to check those ‘facts’ you’re on about, before you get any more egg on your face. I’d love to know where he apparently retook possession before kicking the goal... :shock:
Gentlemen,
I have no problem admitting MY errors (retakes possession). I hadn't watched the replay for a while. My bad, and the humble pie tastes as bad as a Collingwood flag.

But you, DUD, are still sprouting a heap of rubbish!! Sooks 100%, Own players, St.Kilda Goggles, Objectiveness. Mighty big assumptions on people you have absolutely no idea about. As I said earlier, denigrating comments doesn't make you right, it makes you sound more like a twat.

P.S. The difference between Guerra/Higgins? Guerra throws ball directly to boot. Higgins throws it upwards, not to his boot and then has a waltz with the goal post, before kicking the ball. A fairly big difference in my sooking, subjective St.Kilda goggles.

Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

The GF demonstrates why GOTY (and MOTY and COTY) should never be awarded till AFTER the GF.

If at some point in the distant future they have to do a 5 second summary of season 2018 they will show THAT premiership goal and an image of the Eagles getting the cup - nothing else.

This "go early" approach explains why quadruple premiership coach Clarkson has zero COTY's.

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!
Premium89
Club Player

This thread has gone on far too long without mentioning the word "Bootbanger" - the ultimate throw-to-kick manoeuvre!!