We are a laughing stock

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: We are a laughing stock

kaos theory wrote: Wed 03 Oct 2018 10:16pm
No.11 wrote: Wed 03 Oct 2018 9:24pm We’re definitely not a laughing stock. Agreed we’re not the first choice for players who want the ultimate success soon. But it’s baby steps at the moment, and players from other clubs can see there is definitely upside coming to us. We’ll be mid table next year. Bookmark it.
How is mid table in any way a 'success'?

Mid-table was a success 2 or 3 years ago. We have had 7 years of a rebuild, and after that effort we have destroyed the football culture of the club and are stuck in the bottom 3, playing aimless football, no character, no soul.

All I see is incompetence of the highest order, starting with the board, then the president, the CEO and a pathetic head coach.

Yet in the bizaro world at the Club we have a great coach, and mid-table finish is a great step forward next year....and no doubt we will extend Richo's contract another 2 years!

...unbelievable!
Yep. Extraordinary. Last season׳s disaster is forgotten already and everything’s going to be great next year with TMBK at the helm. All we need is a past his best highly paid recruit with a good reputation ( ranked 355 in the comp last year) and a bunch of C graders who can’t get a game at another club. No change is required at senior leadership (sic) level. None at all.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The general consensus amongst supporters of other clubs who I have asked is that Richo isn't any good.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 6:08am
No.11 wrote: Wed 03 Oct 2018 9:24pm We’re definitely not a laughing stock. Agreed we’re not the first choice for players who want the ultimate success soon. But it’s baby steps at the moment, and players from other clubs can see there is definitely upside coming to us. We’ll be mid table next year. Bookmark it.

Mid-table was a success 2 or 3 years ago. We have had 7 years of a rebuild, and after that effort we have destroyed the football culture of the club and are stuck in the bottom 3, playing aimless football, no character, no soul.

All I see is incompetence of the highest order, starting with the board, then the president, the CEO and a pathetic head coach.

Yet in the bizaro world at the Club we have a great coach, and mid-table finish is a great step forward next year....and no doubt we will extend Richo's contract another 2 years!

...unbelievable!
Yep. Extraordinary. Last season׳s disaster is forgotten already and everything’s going to be great next year with TMBK at the helm. All we need is a past his best highly paid recruit with a good reputation ( ranked 355 in the comp last year) and a bunch of C graders who can’t get a game at another club. No change is required at senior leadership (sic) level. None at all.
Can we lose the TMBK thing? It's seriously neither funny nor clever.

I know it's been tried ad nauseaum to get it to catch on, but there's a reason it hasn't.

Come up with something better man.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Collective punishment isn't right, we are not all a laughing stock. Finnis is a laughing stock (that extension); Elshaug is/was a laughing stock (reasons well canvassed on the Forum); Richo is more a joke than a laughing stock, although a very poor taste one for us. New President, may the Gods of Footy admire him, seems a big improvement on the last two invisible men, new Football Manager - seems to have played a poor hand quite well so far: good new Assistant Coaches, reasonable transfer targets, prepared to let a lot of deadwood go regardless of the affection Richo holds for them. Time is the factor now, if there is not a big improvement in 2019 both Finnis and Richo will go as soon as contractually feasible. Missing out on an apparent gun (Shiel), if that happens, is not always a bad thing and would leave the club well placed for any opportunity that comes up. Surely the AFL would force a 105% spend for the sake of it. We have a sound core group and have had a year from hell with injuries. We also have influential media allies in the two Nicks and Joey. No magic wand in the kit bag but you have to hope like crazy, don't you. Oh and no scandals in 2018. Pies had drug and drink stuff which Eddie and Bucks closed down, Eagles had usual drink and drive stuff plus the horrific Gaff incident. If there is a laughing stock club I'd nominate Freo, look where Rossy has taken them. Go Saints.

HarryM
Club Player

jaxons wrote: Wed 03 Oct 2018 6:19pm I know who was in our pitch and how and what we presented.
I also know what Carlton did in depth and Hawthorn.
We cannot attract quality to our club at the moment because we can't sell anything that people want.
I'm sorry to be negative, I would love to be positive if there was something to be positive about.
If you want to find positives in Dan Hannebery he was ranked the 355th player in the comp this year.
Maybe he can get back to his best but it is a lot of money to gamble with.
Shiel won't be coming to us.

You are obviously getting information from Players Management.

Could be first hand or second hand info, we wouldn't know.

Seriously doubt you would be privy to what goes on in the inner sanctum of Hawthorn or Carlton.
Last edited by HarryM on Thu 04 Oct 2018 9:25am, edited 1 time in total.

takeaway
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 8:37am The general consensus amongst supporters of other clubs who I have asked is that Richo isn't any good.
The final nail, eh?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 8:48am
st.byron wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 6:08am

...unbelievable!
Can we lose the TMBK thing? It's seriously neither funny nor clever.

I know it's been tried ad nauseaum to get it to catch on, but there's a reason it hasn't.

Come up with something better man.
I like it. Seems apt to me.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I don't see the aptness one bit.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Got to love the internet. It's why the world has Trump and Hanson I suppose.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

And Clive Palmer is coming back too which doesn't surprise because he also understands how to exploit gullable people. A genius in a sense.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 9:19am
SaintPav wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 8:37am The general consensus amongst supporters of other clubs who I have asked is that Richo isn't any good.
The final nail, eh?
It appears so, but not because of anything anyone ever wrote on here.

I'm using the principle of parsimony that says the simplest answer is often correct (Occam's Razor).

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Saint 58 wrote: Wed 03 Oct 2018 12:54pm
jaxons wrote: Wed 03 Oct 2018 10:59am Most embarrassing football club at the moment.
Offering Shiel millions more than any other club and no chance of him coming.
No leadership and no one to sell our club properly.
If you knew the difference of our pitch versus the other clubs you would demand the immediate removal of all key figures at our club.
Can you elaborate ?
Yes, I would also like you to elaborate more Jaxon

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 9:33am I don't see the aptness one bit.
Rog, I understand that it’s not complimentary and how you might not like it.
But the antipathy in that name is a direct reflection of how much I feel we’re being conned. I’m expressing just how gutless I think the whole senior management team is. Richardson, Lethlean, Finnis - the whole lot of them. A giant charade is underway and we’re the audience. It’s based on a rubbish decision made by the board to extend Richardson to 2020 and now we’re living with it. The end of season review didn’t even include Richardson FFS. How is that accountable when he has a win ratio of 33% after 5 years?

The whole thing is a giant farce being perpetrated because they (senior management) are too busy covering their own arses and pissing in each other’s pockets to actually deliver any accountability for the dismal failure of our re-build and the performance of the head coach.

Dan Hannebery, Dean Kent, Karl Amon - woo hoo - how exciting....not. Meanwhile Hawthorn re-builds a quality mid-field and North attract quality players. So people can choose to look through rose coloured glasses, everyone has their own way of dealing with the shyte we’re being served up. We even had #11 on here earlier telling us that we’ll be mid-table next year, as though that’s somehow something to look forward to. What happened to top 4? It’s all suddenly out the window and aiming for a mid-table finish is the go????

Zero accountability from senior management, spin and assurances they’re leaving no stone unturned. Absolute bollocks. And all the while hands out asking for more money. A total farce. Root and stem excavation required - not just window dressing.
Last edited by st.byron on Thu 04 Oct 2018 11:43am, edited 2 times in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Wed 03 Oct 2018 10:59am Most embarrassing football club at the moment.
Offering Shiel millions more than any other club and no chance of him coming.
No leadership and no one to sell our club properly.
If you knew the difference of our pitch versus the other clubs you would demand the immediate removal of all key figures at our club.
Not what the club is saying on afl.com

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-04/h ... hiel-pitch

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 11:40am
But the antipathy in that name is a direct reflection of how much I feel we’re being conned. I’m expressing just how gutless I think the whole senior management team is. Richardson, Lethlean, Finnis - the whole lot of them. A giant charade is underway and we’re the audience. It’s based on a rubbish decision made by the board to extend Richardson to 2020 and now we’re living with it. The end of season review didn’t even include Richardson FFS. How is that accountable when he has a win ratio of 33% after 5 years?

The whole thing is a giant farce being perpetrated because they (senior management) are too busy covering their own arses and pissing in each other’s pockets to actually deliver any accountability for the dismal failure of our re-build and the performance of the head coach.

Dan Hannebery, Dean Kent, Karl Amon - woo hoo - how exciting....not. Meanwhile Hawthorn re-builds a quality mid-field and North attract quality players. So people can choose to look through rose coloured glasses, everyone has their own way of dealing with the shyte we’re being served up. We even had #11 on here earlier telling us that we’ll be mid-table next year, as though that’s somehow something to look forward to. What happened to top 4? It’s all suddenly out the window and aiming for a mid-table finish is the go????

Zero accountability from senior management, spin and assurances they’re leaving no stone unturned. Absolute bollocks. And all the while hands out asking for more money. A total farce. Root and stem excavation required - not just window dressing.
Hey, dude, you're preaching to the choir!

It's simply 'The Milky Bar Kid' thing that badly misses the mark on all levels.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 12:36pm

Well you know, St. Matt calls him, “The Dribbler”. Also pretty uncomplimentary but understandable people feel that way.
Personally I find TMBK strongly pleasing and positively appropriate. Each to their own - within the rules.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

I'd been wondering who the hell 'The Dribbler' was...he's gonna be Richo (or The Cho) no matter what.

FWIW, people seem to be forgetting North stunk to high heaven only last year and made embarrassing multi-million dollar pitches to anyone in footy boots, all knocked back. During the trade period they picked up a delisted Hawks player (whom they promptly delisted this season). They played absolutely above themselves this season, carried principally by Higgins and a couple others, with Waite gone I predict they'll finish no higher next year unless some considerable big fish are landed, yet they are considered a destination club. I understand their facilities (a few years off) will be appealing, but obviously it doesn't take much to turn things around sometimes.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 12:40pm
rodgerfox wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 12:36pm

Well you know, St. Matt calls him, “The Dribbler”. Also pretty uncomplimentary but understandable people feel that way.
Personally I find TMBK strongly pleasing and positively appropriate. Each to their own - within the rules.
I'm not taking aim at the 'uncomplimentory' element of it!

His professional performance deserves all the criticism it gets! Including ' The Dribbler' and whatever else.

He speaks rubbish. He is a dribbled publicly.

I just don't think The Milky Bar Kid thing is funny, nor makes any sense at all!

Some dude tried to get it going on here a while back. Tried and tried and tried. It's just not funny though. And therefore, for good reason it never took off.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

The vitriol directed at Alan is unfair and below the belt. Very poor form.

Sure, be critical of his performance in the correct manner if that is your opinion, but the vitriol and name calling is very ordinary and subpar.

Alan is was one of the best humans you will ever meet. Great guy and family man.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 1:36pm
Sure, be critical of his performance in the correct manner if that is your opinion, but the vitriol and name calling is very ordinary and subpar.
The vitriol and name calling is directed at his performance as a senior coach and not at Alan the person so get a grip

As far as being critical of his performance is concerned, wtf do you mean by "if that is your opinion"? I don't think you can deny that it is justified after he has been there as senior coach for this long. You cannot remain in a job for the amount of time he has been in the position of Head Coach and just accept finishing in 16th spot and for fans and sponsors to keep accepting the excuses.

Richo's lack of accountability for where the club sits on the ladder, where the club sits in the eyes of player managers as a destination club, and where the club's prospects lie in the short term future, is justification for fans to be angry. We are not inspired by his empty words and cliches.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Directed at his performance only? Really? Do you read some of the posts on here?

Complete lack of class on display, but...that are humans for you I guess.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
takeaway
Club Player

Fine to criticise, but people who feel the need to make up those sort of nicknames about someone who has most likely achieved far more in life than they have, are just demeaning themselves. None of them are even remotely funny, especially "the cho", if posters mean what I think they mean. Look it up.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 12:40pm
Which one of this montage do you think best resembles the coach?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

If Jaxons' source for his comment is connected to Shiel's management (as it surely must be if he knows who/what all the 'pitches' were) then personally I take little notice of it.
I will never forget the public posturing Connors did regarding Luke Ball when he absolutely screwed us over in favour of another of his clients (Darren Jolley). Connors (and by extension his team) are interested only in one thing - their client and will say/do anything (no matter true or not) to further their client's gain.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 1:36pm The vitriol directed at Alan is unfair and below the belt. Very poor form.

Alan is was one of the best humans you will ever meet. Great guy and family man.
“Directed at Alan”....like you’re his buddy.

“In the correct manner”......i.e if you agree with it.

You pulled the moral high ground card a few times when you were Parkey, so no surprise to find you’re still playing it.

The vitriol is directed at the behaviour and performance of St.Kilda FC employees. He could be a lovely bloke in person. Probably is. Probably a father and husband who does his best.

Doesn’t preclude him and rest of senior management from being fair game when they deliver such shyte and are clearly, IMO, totally avoiding the actual root of the problems with the team. When they start stepping up and demonstrating some accountability instead of pissing about shifting the deck chairs, then respect will arise and the tenor of commentary will change.