Flog Barrett

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Flog Barrett

FB said on nine that he thinks something may happen re Jacky Boy Steven next Tuesday or Wednesday.

He takes flaggelation to a new level.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saint-stu
Club Player

Re: Flog Barrett

Can not admit to being wrong. The biggest tool in the media.

1ac46a38
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Dwayne Russell punting on the same scenario tonight on Sportsday on 3AW. Second rate footballer, third rate personality, fourth rate broadcaster. First rate flog!

Saint supporter since '62
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 10:25pm FB said on nine that he thinks something may happen re Jacky Boy Steven next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Good thread.

He must hate us. Must make this stuff up. Must be a flog.

Good reasonable reaction by you too. There would be no way Steven is responsible for the details of the exit meeting getting out. Everything must be fine.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Lethlean saying he’s going nowhere.. Geelong list manager saying Saints have made it clear he’s not going anywhere and will play for Saints in 2019

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Who knows if there is any truth in this Jack Steven trade rumour.

We will all know for sure on the 17th of October at 8.31pm, trade period will be done and dusted.

Then we will know who's been flogging who.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 11:34pm Lethlean saying he’s going nowhere.. Geelong list manager saying Saints have made it clear he’s not going anywhere and will play for Saints in 2019

Bell / Rosich both said Neale isn't going anywhere today too. And he has even requested a trade!

Same with the dogs and Adams.

Seems they all follow each other re negotiation tactics. Take a hard line, then see what gets offered.

This has a very Bryce Gibbs feel, wait until all the trades fall and then come at the last moment. Will take a monster offer.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

That guy is definitely down there with the likes of Hutchy as the leading gutter journos for AFL news.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 11:17pm
saintspremiers wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 10:25pm FB said on nine that he thinks something may happen re Jacky Boy Steven next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Good thread.

Good reasonable reaction by you too. There would be no way Steven is responsible for the details of the exit meeting getting out. Everything must be fine.
It's most probable that the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Who would be 'happy' after that season?

But does that mean he's leaving? Does that translate to him wanting to leave?

A story hungry reporter like Barrett runs with the extreme end of it that he's unhappy and wants to leave - whilst the money hungry club selling hope runs with the other extreme end that he loves the place and he'll be there in R1.

The problem is with reporters though, that they can continue with their position on it, knowing at the end of it they can simply say 'he had one foot out the door so I was right, but something happened and he ended up staying'. Some accountability would be nice. Not from a personal perspective where I want to see then hung and quartered whenever they get something wrong - but just so as we the public, get some more factual reporting on matters.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 6:46am

Good thread.

A story hungry reporter like Barrett runs with the extreme end of it that he's unhappy and wants to leave - whilst the money hungry club selling hope runs with the other extreme end that he loves the place and he'll be there in R1.

The problem is with reporters though, that they can continue with their position on it, knowing at the end of it they can simply say 'he had one foot out the door so I was right, but something happened and he ended up staying'. Some accountability would be nice. Not from a personal perspective where I want to see then hung and quartered whenever they get something wrong - but just so as we the public, get some more factual reporting on matters.

See it probably is in the middle on the two extremes but this is a story nonetheless. That is the story that there are rumblings - Barrett hasn't said he is leaving, just rumblings.

Supporters get upset and question the factual accuracy of the reporting... which is wrong, because the facts are there are rumblings that got out.

Re the accountability, things do change so no idea why you would want a reporter to apologise because a trade didn't happen when they factually reported rumblings correctly. That's just irrational emotive crap.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Good thread.

There's another side to this too RF, the market, it's fertile ground for ripping yarns, opinions and editorials, call it what you will, how does the saying go, facts get in the way of a good yarn.

The market isn't any different to others, supply and demand dictate how many manufactures prosper.

I'm a huge advocate for introducing media lessons at primary school level. We need to teach future generations how media works and how not to be manipulated by it. If we can do that and also get political party donation reform then the world might get improved government.

I digress and dream at the same time.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 10:19am

Good thread.

See it probably is in the middle on the two extremes but this is a story nonetheless. That is the story that there are rumblings - Barrett hasn't said he is leaving, just rumblings.

Supporters get upset and question the factual accuracy of the reporting... which is wrong, because the facts are there are rumblings that got out.

Re the accountability, things do change so no idea why you would want a reporter to apologise because a trade didn't happen when they factually reported rumblings correctly. That's just irrational emotive crap.

Disagree totally.

He's not reporting facts, he's running an editorial. It's become an opinion piece.

If he's simply reporting 'facts' - WTF are 'rumblings' exactly? That is the most objective term you could possibly come up with!

What are the facts of these 'rumblings'?

If the facts are there were rumblings, what does that mean? What is a 'rumbling'? Who rumbled? And what were the rumblings about?

Why would a professional journalist use such words if they're merely reporting facts?

s*** man, I learnt this stuff in high school. The difference between facts and opinion is very basic stuff.

Whilst Barrett's opinion may have been based on facts, he's clearly not simply reporting those facts at all.

That's gross naivety to say that he is.

I don't expect an apology, I just want facts reported as facts, and opinion pieces reported as opinion pieces.

You see, if someone merely reports facts, when situations change - it has no bearing whatsoever on whether he/she was right or not.

And that's where Barrett should have stopped.

Report the fact that Steven did or said whatever he said - and leave it at that. The rest is purely an opinion piece based on what he thinks those facts may or could lead to.

The distinction between where the facts end, and the opinion begins should be made clear.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Why does anyone care what someone writes in the media that has no effect on the outcome what so ever?

If Jack leaves he leaves, if he stays he stays, what Barrett says has nothing to do with it.

And I guarantee he knows more about what’s happening behind the scene in the AFL than anyone on here.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 12:08pm Why does anyone care what someone writes in the media that has no effect on the outcome what so ever?

If Jack leaves he leaves, if he stays he stays, what Barrett says has nothing to do with it.

And I guarantee he knows more about what’s happening behind the scene in the AFL than anyone on here.
Barrett is a muckraking piece of excretement who
makes Shyte up.

I’d back tonestar or jaxons anyday over the FB

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 12:08pm Why does anyone care what someone writes in the media that has no effect on the outcome what so ever?

Ask Rupert Murdoch how much influence the media has on what happens.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I personally don't care what is written as such - but at this time of year I'm looking for information on WTF is happening.

I'm not looking for click bait opinion pieces.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 12:33pm

I personally don't care what is written as such - but at this time of year I'm looking for information on WTF is happening.

I'm not looking for click bait opinion pieces.
But what is happening is constantly changing I’d suspect. A deal that looks like it might be happening can all of a sudden fall apart, so then the previous accurate report gets called rubbish when in fact was on the money.

I would suggest taking everything with a grain of salt until you see an announced deal, because until then everything is just opinion and rumour.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bozza1980
Club Player

No doubt he would know more than us but it would appear that an awful lot of the time he forms incorrect opinions from this information.

It doesn't take this level of intel though to know that regardless of how much Steven might want out, a trade will require the Saints accepting unders, for a four time best and fairest with two years left on his contract, or the Cats paying overs, for a player they might not think in their best six midfielders, and neither would seem all that realistic.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Steven is not going. Never was.

Barret makes things up and/or bends the truth or speculation to keep a high paying job. Sellout.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 12:01pm
Spinner wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 10:19am

Good thread.

Disagree totally.

He's not reporting facts, he's running an editorial. It's become an opinion piece.

If he's simply reporting 'facts' - WTF are 'rumblings' exactly? That is the most objective term you could possibly come up with!

What are the facts of these 'rumblings'?

If the facts are there were rumblings, what does that mean? What is a 'rumbling'? Who rumbled? And what were the rumblings about?

Why would a professional journalist use such words if they're merely reporting facts?

s*** man, I learnt this stuff in high school. The difference between facts and opinion is very basic stuff.

Whilst Barrett's opinion may have been based on facts, he's clearly not simply reporting those facts at all.

That's gross naivety to say that he is.

I don't expect an apology, I just want facts reported as facts, and opinion pieces reported as opinion pieces.

You see, if someone merely reports facts, when situations change - it has no bearing whatsoever on whether he/she was right or not.

And that's where Barrett should have stopped.

Report the fact that Steven did or said whatever he said - and leave it at that. The rest is purely an opinion piece based on what he thinks those facts may or could lead to.

The distinction between where the facts end, and the opinion begins should be made clear.

A post that reflects the current age of outrage and whinging. You're just having a whinge because you don't like it out that Steven was less than happy.

Don't listen to any trade news or read any articles.

Check back in at the very end of trade week and view the final trades that have been made - you'll save yourself a lot of time, outrage and embarrassment. You obviously don't have bandwidth for any of the preliminary discussions between teams players and managers that take place.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 1:11pm Steven is not going. Never was.

Barret makes things up and/or bends the truth or speculation to keep a high paying job. Sellout.

Please detail where things have been made up.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 1:14pm
A post that reflects the current age of outrage and whinging. You're just having a whinge because you don't like it out that Steven was less than happy.

Don't listen to any trade news or read any articles.

Check back in at the very end of trade week and view the final trades that have been made - you'll save yourself a lot of time, outrage and embarrassment. You obviously don't have bandwidth for any of the preliminary discussions between teams players and managers that take place.
That's just about the strangest reply I've ever had on here.

Are you sure it was directed at me and my post?

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 1:16pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 1:11pm Steven is not going. Never was.

Are you serious? Are you best mates with Barret or something?

Like Sam McClure, Hutchy, Tom Browne, etc. these blokes pump themselves up and talk crap to keep high paying jobs. Trade Table on Ch 9 is a perfect example. I know for a FACT that a couple of things they spoke about were NOT TRUE.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 1:16pm

What is a 'rumbling'?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 12:30pm

Ask Rupert Murdoch how much influence the media has on what happens.
Praps Alan Jones could have a word with Shiel for us.