AFL trade 2018 Is A Failure

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Re: AFL trade 2018 Is A Failure

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 11:57am Actually, it all stems back to Drake and Huggins. Its their fault. Plus Bill Barrot from the 60's.
Didn’t you only just join this forum?

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Yeah. So?

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Flagless
Club Player

All this talk about Hanneberry adding on field leadership and setting training standards- what a load of rubbish. We had the best trainer in the comp for 12 years and the majority of the current crop played and trained with him (Reiwoldt). If they have forgotten how to train hard and how to apply it on game day then that is a coaching and assistant coaching issue. If we need to bring in a broken down slow midfielder with poor foot skills on $800k a year to teach the current group standards then we have truly lost the plot.
Now there is talk that Essendon are chasing Ben Long- if that come to fruition we may as well close up shop

minneapolis
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 8:18am What else happens in the trade period? And who wins the Caulfield Guineas? What's the weather like next Thursday? Lotto numbers might be handy too.
More trades. A horse. Cold and windy. 8, 11, 25, 33, 34 and 40.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Shiel is getting less at Essendon, but I bet his parents will be soon living in a lovely new mansion. Essendon playing by the rule book? Pfft... give me a break

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

North Melbourne are having a decent crack at this trade period.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Toy Saint wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 5:13pm North Melbourne are having a decent crack at this trade period.
They’ve already got one exciting trade under their belt and very nearly got Gaff.

That’s a bit more than giving it a decent crack.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Rocket wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 10:15am The part I don’t get ...
- we need another quality key defender. No attempts to get Langdon or Adams ? Langdon was amazing during finals and would be a good get; we have cash right ? How does Sydney lead this discussion ?

- we lack speed. Kent is Mav like, where is our crack at line breaker. No talk of Hall and little on Gaff pre Eagles signature. Why were North the front runnner.

- we have cash and lack class. Make it happen.

I hope there are surprises in the pipe to help deal with shortfalls... and we aren’t backing on same old same.
Some worrying early signs from Gags and Lethers.

I was a little surprised they didn’t keep Hugh Goddard for 1 more year considering Brown has reached his use-by date, they delisted Gilbo, Robbo can’t play as a tall (and we don’t exactly know if his ticker will play up again), and we aren’t flush with tall defenders. I would have thought 1 more year as insurance would have been prudent from the list manager.

I can only assume Gags and Lethers signed off on the Hickey deal which is frightening. Pick 39 for a contracted player who was arguably at least our equal number 1 ruckman. Barely a pass mark I would have thought - unless of course the Swans accept it for Hanners - which I doubt. Then we shoot ourselves in the foot even further by downgrading our 4th round pick next year by about 15 spots. Why do that ?. Shop him around , another club would have given us a pick aroond 39 give or take , without the extra hit.

And it smells a lot like we are taking the big injured fella King with pick 4 rather than a classy mid which we are screaming for. Mesmerised by Mason, it’s the Paddy v Petracca nightmare trap we are falling for again.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
guitars4
Club Player

I will wait until the end of the trade period before I make a proper assessment but have to say so far it has been very disappointing IMO. Lets hope we can get something happening in the last bit .

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

I’m happy if we add Kent Hannerbery and pick 4.

Should be 3 starting best 22 with Roberton, Bruce Long, McCartin Acres fit.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
evo
Club Player

Most of the other clubs have brought in some good players and improved their list. We have added hannerbery and lost Hicky. In effect we have taken a step backwards or at best remain the same. Spare me the pick four argument its going to be a long miserable 2019 if that's all we end up with. Aggressive trading, when ffs ????

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 9:52pm Most of the other clubs have brought in some good players and improved their list. We have added hannerbery and lost Hicky. In effect we have taken a step backwards or at best remain the same. Spare me the pick four argument its going to be a long miserable 2019 if that's all we end up with. Aggressive trading, when ffs ????
Hannebery and Kent are both really good pick ups.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
stonecold
SS Life Member

evo wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 9:52pm Most of the other clubs have brought in some good players and improved their list. We have added hannerbery and lost Hicky. In effect we have taken a step backwards or at best remain the same. Spare me the pick four argument its going to be a long miserable 2019 if that's all we end up with. Aggressive trading, when ffs ????
So, let me get this right, are you saying Hickledik is better than Hanners?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

The trade period hasn't even finished.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
evo
Club Player

stonecold wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 10:06pm
No fan of hickey but hanners form this year isn't much better !

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 5:13pm North Melbourne are having a decent crack at this trade period.
Yep, it could be North Melbourne of 1975 all over again...or Port Adelaide of 2018.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Flagless wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 2:23pm All this talk about Hanneberry adding on field leadership and setting training standards- what a load of rubbish. We had the best trainer in the comp for 12 years and the majority of the current crop played and trained with him (Reiwoldt). If they have forgotten how to train hard and how to apply it on game day then that is a coaching and assistant coaching issue. If we need to bring in a broken down slow midfielder with poor foot skills on $800k a year to teach the current group standards then we have truly lost the plot.
Now there is talk that Essendon are chasing Ben Long- if that come to fruition we may as well close up shop
This.
Nail.Head.

derby Street
Club Player

Zed wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 8:05pm
Rocket wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 10:15am The part I don’t get ...
- we need another quality key defender. No attempts to get Langdon or Adams ? Langdon was amazing during finals and would be a good get; we have cash right ? How does Sydney lead this discussion ?

- we lack speed. Kent is Mav like, where is our crack at line breaker. No talk of Hall and little on Gaff pre Eagles signature. Why were North the front runnner.

- we have cash and lack class. Make it happen.

I hope there are surprises in the pipe to help deal with shortfalls... and we aren’t backing on same old same.
Some worrying early signs from Gags and Lethers.

I was a little surprised they didn’t keep Hugh Goddard for 1 more year considering Brown has reached his use-by date, they delisted Gilbo, Robbo can’t play as a tall (and we don’t exactly know if his ticker will play up again), and we aren’t flush with tall defenders. I would have thought 1 more year as insurance would have been prudent from the list manager.

I can only assume Gags and Lethers signed off on the Hickey deal which is frightening. Pick 39 for a contracted player who was arguably at least our equal number 1 ruckman. Barely a pass mark I would have thought - unless of course the Swans accept it for Hanners - which I doubt. Then we shoot ourselves in the foot even further by downgrading our 4th round pick next year by about 15 spots. Why do that ?. Shop him around , another club would have given us a pick aroond 39 give or take , without the extra hit.

And it smells a lot like we are taking the big injured fella King with pick 4 rather than a classy mid which we are screaming for. Mesmerised by Mason, it’s the Paddy v Petracca nightmare trap we are falling for again.
Let's see if anyone picks up Hugh Goddard

degruch
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 9:03am
Flagless wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 2:23pm All this talk about Hanneberry adding on field leadership and setting training standards- what a load of rubbish. We had the best trainer in the comp for 12 years and the majority of the current crop played and trained with him (Reiwoldt). If they have forgotten how to train hard and how to apply it on game day then that is a coaching and assistant coaching issue. If we need to bring in a broken down slow midfielder with poor foot skills on $800k a year to teach the current group standards then we have truly lost the plot.
This.
Nail.Head.
I thought Roo was on a modified program for years...not that he didn't train, of course. He'd be an absolute model of professionalism and passion though, I agree. I find it hard to think as soon as he was out the door everyone sighed in relief and went back to turning up to training in ugg boots and eating buckets of KFC though...there's bigger issues at the club if that's the case.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 9:03am
This.
Nail.Head.
oh no

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Flagless
Club Player

evo wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 3:56am
You are spot on, on recent form (past 2 years) he is no better- what they see in him is absolutely mesmerizing. Not one noted football scribe thinks it is a good idea but because he is an old friend of Lethleans the saints have blindly gone after him- it takes the club backwards- if that's possible

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Yeah, dunno. Leading by example isn't the only way - especially if the example you're setting is too high a bar for anyone else to reach. That's just demoralising - and demoralised is a fair description of what I saw this year.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 4:16pm Shiel is getting less at Essendon, but I bet his parents will be soon living in a lovely new mansion. Essendon playing by the rule book? Pfft... give me a break
So who pays and how does this all work?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Flagless wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 11:27am
evo wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 3:56am
You are spot on, on recent form (past 2 years) he is no better- what they see in him is absolutely mesmerizing. Not one noted football scribe thinks it is a good idea but because he is an old friend of Lethleans the saints have blindly gone after him- it takes the club backwards- if that's possible
What they see in him is a player who while is already past his prime, used to be elite and therefore probably gettable.

I don't think even the club is naive enough to think that Hanners will do much more than add depth to our midfield, which I'm sure he will, but anything beyond that is a bonus, assuming he can stay on the park for the duration of his 4 year contract.

If he was still in elite category, would the Swans be prepared to offload him? Would he even be interested in coming to us if he was still in the prime of his career. I think unlikely.

The club probably sees it as ticking several boxes. Getting a "name" player to the club, improving our list (even if only slightly) and being seen to be doing something.

IMO, it will take a LOT more than just Hannebery for the club to be walking the walk in regards to their declarations of being "aggressive" during the trade period.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Hanners comes down to this. Was his huge drop off in form due to an injury that is yet to heal? If it is and it comes good then we have done well depending on the cost. If wecant then we got screwed. He was never fast which is bad for our club as we need pace but he was amazing at getting the ball and moving it on.
It's a mistake to get him imo but what can you do