AFL trade 2018 Is A Failure

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Re: AFL trade 2018 Is A Failure

derby Street wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 9:28am
Zed wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 8:05pm
Rocket wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 10:15am The part I don’t get ...
- we need another quality key defender. No attempts to get Langdon or Adams ? Langdon was amazing during finals and would be a good get; we have cash right ? How does Sydney lead this discussion ?

- we lack speed. Kent is Mav like, where is our crack at line breaker. No talk of Hall and little on Gaff pre Eagles signature. Why were North the front runnner.

- we have cash and lack class. Make it happen.

I hope there are surprises in the pipe to help deal with shortfalls... and we aren’t backing on same old same.
Some worrying early signs from Gags and Lethers.

I was a little surprised they didn’t keep Hugh Goddard for 1 more year considering Brown has reached his use-by date, they delisted Gilbo, Robbo can’t play as a tall (and we don’t exactly know if his ticker will play up again), and we aren’t flush with tall defenders. I would have thought 1 more year as insurance would have been prudent from the list manager.

I can only assume Gags and Lethers signed off on the Hickey deal which is frightening. Pick 39 for a contracted player who was arguably at least our equal number 1 ruckman. Barely a pass mark I would have thought - unless of course the Swans accept it for Hanners - which I doubt. Then we shoot ourselves in the foot even further by downgrading our 4th round pick next year by about 15 spots. Why do that ?. Shop him around , another club would have given us a pick aroond 39 give or take , without the extra hit.

And it smells a lot like we are taking the big injured fella King with pick 4 rather than a classy mid which we are screaming for. Mesmerised by Mason, it’s the Paddy v Petracca nightmare trap we are falling for again.
Let's see if anyone picks up Hugh Goddard
Not suggesting that he is good enough to get a regular game at AFL level.
Bu if it were me, I would have kept Hugh on the list for 12 months as insurance in case 2 of Brown, Carlisle or Austin go down at the same time, whilst young Clav develops at Sandy.
I dont have an issue with any of the other delistings.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Flagless
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 12:20pm
Flagless wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 11:27am
evo wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 3:56am
stonecold wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 10:06pm
evo wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 9:52pm Most of the other clubs have brought in some good players and improved their list. We have added hannerbery and lost Hicky. In effect we have taken a step backwards or at best remain the same. Spare me the pick four argument its going to be a long miserable 2019 if that's all we end up with. Aggressive trading, when ffs ????
So, let me get this right, are you saying Hickledik is better than Hanners?????
No fan of hickey but hanners form this year isn't much better !
You are spot on, on recent form (past 2 years) he is no better- what they see in him is absolutely mesmerizing. Not one noted football scribe thinks it is a good idea but because he is an old friend of Lethleans the saints have blindly gone after him- it takes the club backwards- if that's possible
What they see in him is a player who while is already past his prime, used to be elite and therefore probably gettable.

I don't think even the club is naive enough to think that Hanners will do much more than add depth to our midfield, which I'm sure he will, but anything beyond that is a bonus, assuming he can stay on the park for the duration of his 4 year contract.

If he was still in elite category, would the Swans be prepared to offload him? Would he even be interested in coming to us if he was still in the prime of his career. I think unlikely.

The club probably sees it as ticking several boxes. Getting a "name" player to the club, improving our list (even if only slightly) and being seen to be doing something.

IMO, it will take a LOT more than just Hannebery for the club to be walking the walk in regards to their declarations of being "aggressive" during the trade period.
I agree, but Id go further, I think its a retrograde step. He cant play behind the ball and direct traffic like Hodge and Lewis, he doesn't have the footy smarts like a Sam Mitchell . His one wood is being a clearance bull but due to his drop off in pace and his banged up body, that is now suspect. His foot skills are very ordinary, so he is not going to improve our mid field- we have plenty who cant hit targets. He wont be around when we are next challenging, so why not go for someone with elite foot skills and pace.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Kent done for pick 65,will still take a lot more!

PADDLEPOP1000
damienc
Club Player

Wingard to Hawthorn if they can get the deal done. Where are we? #winning.

chico2001
Club Player

Flagless wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 4:55pm
SydneySainter wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 12:20pm
Flagless wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 11:27am
evo wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 3:56am
stonecold wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 10:06pm
evo wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 9:52pm Most of the other clubs have brought in some good players and improved their list. We have added hannerbery and lost Hicky. In effect we have taken a step backwards or at best remain the same. Spare me the pick four argument its going to be a long miserable 2019 if that's all we end up with. Aggressive trading, when ffs ????
So, let me get this right, are you saying Hickledik is better than Hanners?????
No fan of hickey but hanners form this year isn't much better !
You are spot on, on recent form (past 2 years) he is no better- what they see in him is absolutely mesmerizing. Not one noted football scribe thinks it is a good idea but because he is an old friend of Lethleans the saints have blindly gone after him- it takes the club backwards- if that's possible
What they see in him is a player who while is already past his prime, used to be elite and therefore probably gettable.

I don't think even the club is naive enough to think that Hanners will do much more than add depth to our midfield, which I'm sure he will, but anything beyond that is a bonus, assuming he can stay on the park for the duration of his 4 year contract.

If he was still in elite category, would the Swans be prepared to offload him? Would he even be interested in coming to us if he was still in the prime of his career. I think unlikely.

The club probably sees it as ticking several boxes. Getting a "name" player to the club, improving our list (even if only slightly) and being seen to be doing something.

IMO, it will take a LOT more than just Hannebery for the club to be walking the walk in regards to their declarations of being "aggressive" during the trade period.
I agree, but Id go further, I think its a retrograde step. He cant play behind the ball and direct traffic like Hodge and Lewis, he doesn't have the footy smarts like a Sam Mitchell . His one wood is being a clearance bull but due to his drop off in pace and his banged up body, that is now suspect. His foot skills are very ordinary, so he is not going to improve our mid field- we have plenty who cant hit targets. He wont be around when we are next challenging, so why not go for someone with elite foot skills and pace.
Support that fully. Hannebery (5 yr contract) has to fire on the field IMO, there are no excuses. Has to get the ball out the centre and into the forwards quick smart. Forget the leadership bulls***, one poster just pointed out that we had our champion St Nick as a leader and his warm up would exhaust the average suburban player and if the other players could not follow him then the club leadership is ordinary and that is where strong action should be taken, not expect an old warrior to lift the club from the doldrums.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 8:51am Yeah pretty ordinary.

Missing Shiel is a bit of a downer. Depending which way you look at it really.

Still have pick 4.

We still need picks in the second and third rounds.

Much more needs to happen or we are screwed.
Is Pick 28 ok?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

damienc wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 7:25pm Wingard to Hawthorn if they can get the deal done. Where are we? #winning.
You whinge about the drafts we complete and then complain we don't pay ridiculous overs for Wingard, which one is it?
Last edited by Harvey To Hayes on Fri 12 Oct 2018 9:04pm, edited 2 times in total.

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
David-Lee
Club Player

Sydney really wanted to get rid of Hanneburys pay packet and we were suckered but we did get pick #28 so that softens the blow though we have to give our 2nd rounder to them which will likely be 23 -25