Is That All There Is?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Is That All There Is?

Is this good enough? Why should we accept this?

Two important and fundamental questions that should be asked of our footy club.

So barring a miracle, what we will reap from the current trade and draft is the following:

Dean Kent ( ex Melbourne), Dan Hannebery ( Swannies) and maybe, MAYBE, a guy no one has heard of from Port Adelaide.

If we get him. No certainty even for Karl Amon to be wearing a Saints jumper in 2019.

Hickey's gone and ultimately we end up with picks 4 and 28 on draft night.

You don't have to be a nuclear scientist to figure the reasoning behind chasing Kent, Hannebery and Amon. Hannebery is self explanatory I optimistically hope Dan can re capture a bit of his past glory. It would be great for him and for the club.

Kent and Amon are quick and good users of the footy but did not get regular game time. So they are trades that hardly set the world on fire.

There is potential to do a deal with the Adelaide clubs that somehow sees us maybe get two top 10 picks, or thereabouts, for pick 4.

I know a lot could happen in the next 48 hours and still plenty of player movement but there is no trade buzz around our footy club.

None.

So what I've outlined could be all that there is or maybe even not as much as I've outlined.

I just can't believe our club thinks this is all ok. And business as usual.

Fair enough. To give some credit, we've been active if unsuccessful.

We made some pitches and offered some big money but the sad reality is that no one, who is an A lister, wants to play for the Saints.

No matter how much money they are offered.

That is a fact.

They don't rate our coach and they don't rate our club.

So to answer my own questions. No. It is not good enough. And no, as supporters, we should not be prepared to accept this.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is That All There Is?

No-one wants to come, and players hold all the power currently.
Not much we can do. They had a crack at Shiel.
We just have to become attractive again.

Nee!
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

I reckon our trade period has been very good so far - Hannerbrey and Kent are good ins and will provide midfield injections for different reasons plus other attributes. They are senior footballers.
Got pick 4 and 28 still.
Let go an average ruck we didn't need that was on big money.
Have barely given up anything of value pick wise from the above.
Missed on Shiel, but not the worst outcome. Players will take note of our intention and $'s to burn cap wise.
Still more to come...who knows?

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

.average ruck we didn't need that was on big money.
Ok
Your good self and friends have written this a few times now and tyuought it about time it should be clarified
You obviously now such things so could you tell me what Hickey was being paid during his last contract

Seeya
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Reported to be around 600k a year. Could only imagine Ross, Steven and Carlisle were on better money. Plus Hannerbrey now I assume.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Being 'active' in trade week can be quite overrated.

The way I see it, the only clubs that have lured A-Graders in recent years have been Collingwood (Treloar), Essendon (Shiel & Smith), Hawthorn (Mitchell), Richmond (Lynch), Melbourne (Lever), Geelong (Dangerfield) and us (Carlisle).

It's a bit of a typical Saints fan meltdown to be shocked and outraged about not being able to get A-Graders. It's not like 17 other clubs do it every single year.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Exactly.

Total = 1.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 4:07pm Being 'active' in trade week can be quite overrated.

The way I see it, the only clubs that have lured A-Graders in recent years have been Collingwood (Treloar), Essendon (Shiel & Smith), Hawthorn (Mitchell), Richmond (Lynch), Melbourne (Lever), Geelong (Dangerfield) and us (Carlisle).

It's a bit of a typical Saints fan meltdown to be shocked and outraged about not being able to get A-Graders. It's not like 17 other clubs do it every single year.
Agreed.
The Power supposedly had a very good trade period last year with some in the media praising their efforts at signing Rockliff, Watts & Motlop as key draft targets supplemented by selections of McKenzie, Thomas and Trengove.
Overall they didn’t really add much to their list. None made top 10 at their B&F.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Picks can be traded until 16 November.

Plus live trading of picks on the two draft nights. So our pick 4 and 28 are still active for ages yet. This is all new and ads extra spice to the equation.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Zed wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 4:31pm
rodgerfox wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 4:07pm Being 'active' in trade week can be quite overrated.

Agreed.
The Power supposedly had a very good trade period last year with some in the media praising their efforts at signing Rockliff, Watts & Motlop as key draft targets supplemented by selections of McKenzie, Thomas and Trengove.
Overall they didn’t really add much to their list. None made top 10 at their B&F.
yep - and changing so much of your team in any one year at the same time is fraught with danger. It takes 12 months for a system to be bedded down so, introducing 4 players of varying abilities all at once who are still learning the plan is fraught.

Go you red, black & white warriors
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

on ya Rodge -- Im not sure if you are playing contrary for a reason - but the post amused me anyway
SInce our signing of carlisle we have been "active" in building our list
We have gone out and got the A list of management staff
We are dangling the carrot of a state of the art brand new facility at Linton st
and we have that War chest that can afford us to pay overs to lure big fish

Nothing that has come out of the club now for several trade periods would suggest anything but us being "active" in sorting out our list. Are you disagreeing with the club?

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

and ooops forgot to mention the mandatory list turnover each season

Seeya
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Personally I'm pleased and mildly surprised that none of our players requested trades, considering the year we had.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

So did you forget DH or don't you rate him as A grade, and what is A grade? what is its official definition and how does this compare to the official definition of elite, asked this somewhere else to get some sense of objectivity.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 3:05pm Is this good enough? Why should we accept this?

So barring a miracle, what we will reap from the current trade and draft is the following:

Dean Kent ( ex Melbourne), Dan Hannebery ( Swannies) and maybe, MAYBE, a guy no one has heard of from Port Adelaide.

If we get him. No certainty even for Karl Amon to be wearing a Saints jumper in 2019.

You don't have to be a nuclear scientist to figure the reasoning behind chasing Kent, Hannebery and Amon. Hannebery is self explanatory I optimistically hope Dan can re capture a bit of his past glory. It would be great for him and for the club.

Kent and Amon are quick and good users of the footy but did not get regular game time. So they are trades that hardly set the world on fire.

There is potential to do a deal with the Adelaide clubs that somehow sees us maybe get two top 10 picks, or thereabouts, for pick 4.

I know a lot could happen in the next 48 hours and still plenty of player movement but there is no trade buzz around our footy club.

None.

So what I've outlined could be all that there is or maybe even not as much as I've outlined.

We made some pitches and offered some big money but the sad reality is that no one, who is an A lister, wants to play for the Saints.

That is a fact.

So to answer my own questions. No. It is not good enough. And no, as supporters, we should not be prepared to accept this.
So I'll ask you the same question, do you not think DH is an A lister? and how do you define what an A lister is? and how does that compare to any official definition?

Lets say for arguments sake, if DH is an A lister by most measures, he clearly rated our club and our list, even went on the record before an official deal was sealed. So if he's an A lister, and we are 1 of 18 clubs, who I'm sure are all in the market for an A grader, how many other clubs have been good enough to secure an A grader during this trade period thus far?

I'd say we've done smashingly well by comparison.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 7:31pm
damienc wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 3:05pm Is this good enough? Why should we accept this?

None.

That is a fact.

So I'll ask you the same question, do you not think DH is an A lister? and how do you define what an A lister is? and how does that compare to any official definition?

Lets say for arguments sake, if DH is an A lister by most measures, he clearly rated our club and our list, even went on the record before an official deal was sealed. So if he's an A lister, and we are 1 of 18 clubs, who I'm sure are all in the market for an A grader, how many other clubs have been good enough to secure an A grader during this trade period thus far?

This, name a player closer to A-Grade that has been traded to this point (this trade period) than Dan, no-one yet, that's who!!!!!

The Club has done well, simple, too many trolls on here these days that are too negative towards the club!!!!!

Not real supporters, you know who you are!!!!!

Get on or get out, but for f*** sake, stop acting like little bitches, boring!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
chico2001
Club Player

There is no definition of it but I would describe it as the level below elite.Tigers got Lynch who is definetly an A lister, Carlton got McGovern who is the same as is DH and D. Shiel, others include lachie Neale and Jesse Hogan, Beams ...none of whom are traded as yet. No elite players traded as yet...the definition of elite is in any dictionary for all to see, but an example is a Dangerfield or a Tom Mitchell. So if you think Dunstan is a good player then compare him to one of those 2 and the difference is massive.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 8:32pm

There is no definition of it but I would describe it as the level below elite.

I think most subjective observers would agree with you.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 5:29pm

on ya Rodge -- Im not sure if you are playing contrary for a reason - but the post amused me anyway
We are dangling the carrot of a state of the art brand new facility at Linton st

Nothing that has come out of the club now for several trade periods would suggest anything but us being "active" in sorting out our list. Are you disagreeing with the club?
Sorry, I'm confused by your post. Not sure what your point is or what you're asking me.

damienc
Club Player

stonecold wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 8:21pm

None.

That is a fact.

This, name a player closer to A-Grade that has been traded to this point (this trade period) than Dan, no-one yet, that's who!!!!!

The Club has done well, simple, too many trolls on here these days that are too negative towards the club!!!!!

Get on or get out, but for f*** sake, stop acting like little bitches, boring!!!!!
I am not a troll. And I am a real supporter. And I am entitled to an opinion. And I am going to express it. And I don't care if you think it is boring.

stonecold
SS Life Member

damienc wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 9:24pm

None.

That is a fact.

I am not a troll. And I am a real supporter. And I am entitled to an opinion. And I am going to express it. And I don't care if you think it is boring.
Whatever, continue on bitching then!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
kalsaint
Club Player

None.

That is a fact.

I feel much the same way and I understand we dont have alot to ffer other teams given this years performance. I dont understand why we havent gone mad trying to get some experience that includes quality leadership Even if its seen as list clogging the learning to be be had by this years team requires ground leadership. We cant chuck out our last long term senior players and expect a team that has no player over 200 games to perform as if we have lost nothing. The recruitment in the past hasnt sought these players just tossed them, Recxruitment never worked to cover the draft pick long tern injuries we had so the team cohesion as Judd puts it just doesnt fiunction sufficiently to get required performance.

I dont care BJ was not he player of 2009-10 but his leadership is something that is loud and clear. Bombers realised that when they lost too many games to reach the finals. We needed a Hodge type. BJ would do for 2 years. Game plan clarity and direction is essential before you can expect players to achieve. We turned over the playing list seeking miracles from kids, It doesnt happen that way. As Ross would say, we dont need to play the kindergarten. He was right as we need the team to know and act appropriately for performance.

We failed by losing too many games due to opoositions getting bags of goals against us in several games. We limited sme but our percentage was still crap indicating inconsistent game performance. We have done little to correct this. Hanners was ideal but wher wwere the other needed? Unless we see improvement bu those with 50-150 games we will continual the same trends of recent years. Pockets of excellence that dont remain consistent.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

None.

That is a fact.

There it is again, that conservative “you’re either with us or against us” attitude.

Who are you to be lecturing anyone about the criteria of being a “real” supporter when you took great pride in your right to constantly sledge and childishly poke fun at Hickey?

To criticise an administrator on St. Kilda’s payrole makes you disloyal, but to call a player a soft c**k is fair game?

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 9:08pm
sunsaint wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 5:29pm

Sorry, I'm confused by your post. Not sure what your point is or what you're asking me.
sorry I dont live here so I missed this
the way I see it the club has been VERY active in trying to attract A grade talent since Carlisle (who has been massive in our list but never Agrade by the way)
Can you think of a big name player that we havent had a "word" to? The club has been linked to so many players over the years, its just the whispers are falling on deaf ears.
While I do agree with the sentiment that it is hard to get an ex-captain or club legend AAs to move - it does happen - it usually takes a bucket load of cash (you missed the obvious one in Abblett) The exodus from clubs like Giants and Suns could only be described as a hemorrhage. In the meantime I can remember the ridicule thrown at Hawthorn for the Omeara trade - pure madness was the general consensus - they move on club stalwarts like Hodge Mitchell & Lewis - and here they are still playing finals.

The bit where i couldnt decide if you were taking the mickey - was the meltdown comment - surely you cant have a go at fans if the club falls short of snagging the big fish year after year.

Seeya
chico2001
Club Player

This is where we get certain c*ckheads who think they know everything , think they are in the know with the club and trying to shutdown anyone who does not agree with their point of view. Then claiming the moral high ground of..."you should be sticking up for the club and all of its players" on this forum. Nah..aint going to happen. We all know who they are, basically a couple of squibs.