Max King Highlights - Just Sayin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Crossy66
Club Player

Re: Max King Highlights - Just Sayin

spiral3 wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 1:05pm big concerns are the ability to translate that dominance from U18s when playing against AFL level defenders

also, these weaknesses from Knightmare (draft guru) on Bigfooty

"Weaknesses:
Endurance
Work rate Rarely pushes up outside the forward 50m arc
Conversion in front of goal
No established second position"

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/2 ... urges-no-2

We've already got a tall forward with terrible endurance and work rate, do we need two???
Alarm bells for me. Rankine, Smith, Rozee, Lukozade no such knocks

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

the dome wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 7:54am
DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 10:58pm I am worried we will pick him and waste our draft pick. Remember the last full forward that out marked smaller kids and had a medical issue that we thought would be awesome. Didn't work out to well. And he cant kick at goal to save himself. He may be a gun later but I don't want ot take the risk
Smith or Rankin are better for us. Smith is vanilla but does his job really well. He is an inside mid which is not what we need so I prefer Rankine. He has an amazing goal sense and is quick, has great hand and already playing SAFL so he will be ready day one

If a genuine good MID can be added to the centre I'll be relieved. My gut feeling is that a real mid will bring genuine value to our centre line over the years & simply improve our chances of controlling games from the centre. I'm no judge but a stronger midfield would be great to see @ St. Kilda. :)
Exactly. Just don't hesitate and 2nd guess. This year we have to take the best midfielder. I don't want any more project tall players. Take Rankine and move on.
Last edited by Saintmatt on Thu 11 Oct 2018 1:18pm, edited 2 times in total.

Go you red, black & white warriors
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Need a mid.

A fast mid

Not a fkn one speed inside scrub with s*** disposal. Or a work rate challenged tall that has mindset issues.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Crossy66
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 1:17pm
the dome wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 7:54am
DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 10:58pm I am worried we will pick him and waste our draft pick. Remember the last full forward that out marked smaller kids and had a medical issue that we thought would be awesome. Didn't work out to well. And he cant kick at goal to save himself. He may be a gun later but I don't want ot take the risk
Smith or Rankin are better for us. Smith is vanilla but does his job really well. He is an inside mid which is not what we need so I prefer Rankine. He has an amazing goal sense and is quick, has great hand and already playing SAFL so he will be ready day one

If a genuine good MID can be added to the centre I'll be relieved. My gut feeling is that a real mid will bring genuine value to our centre line over the years & simply improve our chances of controlling games from the centre. I'm no judge but a stronger midfield would be great to see @ St. Kilda. :)
Exactly. Just don't hesitate and 2nd guess. This year we have to take the best midfielder. I don't want any more project tall players. Take Rankine and move on.
Interesting reading about Rozee, his weakness is listed as strength which is not surprising at 72kgs. Put him in the gym for a year and he ticks all the boxes. Seems a good choice if Walsh, Rankine and smith are gone

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I’ll say it again and again...

You cannot have King and Paddy.

If they’re not going to trade Paddy, they would be insane to draft a player that will (need to) take his spot

supersaints2
Club Player

Looks about two years off senior footy... his kicking for goal fits right in with most of the team...

I used to be supersaints but after 16 years my profile dissapeared... ??? if I make any reference to past posts .. it will be under supersiants.. glad to be back on line
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 3:01pm I’ll say it again and again...

If they’re not going to trade Paddy, they would be insane to draft a player that will (need to) take his spot
You should go and watch the Kings train.

Genetic freaks.

Their athleticism is simply outrageous.

Vastly different players to McCartin.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 8:31am
skeptic wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 3:01pm I’ll say it again and again...

You should go and watch the Kings train.

Genetic freaks.

Their athleticism is simply outrageous.

Vastly different players to McCartin.
Not arguing that RF...

To be honest, my sense is that he’d pbly be better than Paddy and to some degree I wouldn’t hate the pick if we somehow got another first rounder (I want Rankine)

The club has said said no to trading Paddy, and IMO you just can’t have Paddy, King, Bruce, Battle, Membrey, Marshall all on the list competing for 2 forward posts and or a spot for a resting ruck

degruch
Saintsational Legend

I notice Cal Twomey's phantom draft guide has us taking Max King at #4...is this speculation purely based on his rehab at the club? Surely, looking at our list and our requirements, this is a very unlikely call...we'll be taking the best outside mid we can get, or am I missing something?

DJ Higgins
Club Player

degruch wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 4:07pm I notice Cal Twomey's phantom draft guide has us taking Max King at #4...is this speculation purely based on his rehab at the club? Surely, looking at our list and our requirements, this is a very unlikely call...we'll be taking the best outside mid we can get, or am I missing something?
Max King could have been in contention for #1 pick if he didn't get injured. Problem is no one knows how good he really is. We have the inside track on his personality and work ethic which should help make the decision. Knowing us we will pick him as we have done some stupid things in the past. We don't need a forward as much as we need a Mid let alone one that is an unknown quantity

I am worried that on Draft night Rankin and King will will be there at pick 4 and Adelaide/Port will come at us hard and we will trade our pick away for say 6 and 13 (made up #'s) hoping to snag King at 6 and another gun at 13.

Crossy66
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 4:52pm
degruch wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 4:07pm I notice Cal Twomey's phantom draft guide has us taking Max King at #4...is this speculation purely based on his rehab at the club? Surely, looking at our list and our requirements, this is a very unlikely call...we'll be taking the best outside mid we can get, or am I missing something?
Max King could have been in contention for #1 pick if he didn't get injured. Problem is no one knows how good he really is. We have the inside track on his personality and work ethic which should help make the decision. Knowing us we will pick him as we have done some stupid things in the past. We don't need a forward as much as we need a Mid let alone one that is an unknown quantity

I am worried that on Draft night Rankin and King will will be there at pick 4 and Adelaide/Port will come at us hard and we will trade our pick away for say 6 and 13 (made up #'s) hoping to snag King at 6 and another gun at 13.
seems almost definate that the first 3 in no particular order will be Walsh, JL, Rankine. I would be happy with any of Smith, Rozee, then King, so pick 6 will still be good. I think it would be more likely GC will swap one of their picks for 2 x top 10

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Does anyone know how King did his knee?

In contested play or did it just pop?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

in 2019 we NEED Smith
beyond next year King would be good - but the club would have had to trade McCartin for a top 10
we didnt - so Smith for me

Seeya
Stian
Club Player

Sorry, but I am very underwhelmed by that video package. As has been pointed out - it is highlights from a single game (at TAC level, not even the interstate carnival) and it shows his clangers and slow-paced work rate as well as a few ordinary marks and some very dodgy kicks. Tell me again; why are we excited??

Myron Gaines
Club Player

HitTheBoundary wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 5:56pm Does anyone know how King did his knee?

In contested play or did it just pop?
It was as a result of a collision injury. He’s not genetically predisposed to ACL ruptures.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Stian wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 6:34pm Sorry, but I am very underwhelmed by that video package. As has been pointed out - it is highlights from a single game (at TAC level, not even the interstate carnival) and it shows his clangers and slow-paced work rate as well as a few ordinary marks and some very dodgy kicks. Tell me again; why are we excited??
I think quite a lot of us here aren't excited, and I think its unusual that anyone in the media would seriously think we are either...maybe they thinking its McCartin v Petracca all over again, and we're most likely to pick the odd one out again? I wouldn't be upset if we were to offer the Suns a #4/player package that makes #2 an attractive trade!