Draft guess 1st pick

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

the dome
Club Player

Going MID @ #4 feels right

The more I think about it the more I think we'll call up a MID @ #4.
Dunny has been underwhelming & incoming Dan may well replace him unless Dunny has some kind of renaissance in 2019. But even if Dan has a great year in 2019 It still feels like we could be snookered by being one mid down & that is why I expect us to pick the best MID available @ #4. The King twins just feel like a risk to me. Guesswork I know. Both Rankine & Smith could be the shining light at the end of the tunnel.
We were unlucky with Luke Ball when the top 3 was Hodge, Ball, Judd. Maybe we can have a bit more luck this time. Start visualizing for success sainters.

chico2001
Club Player

Re: Draft guess 1st pick

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 19 Oct 2018 2:52pm
Cordz2 wrote: Fri 19 Oct 2018 12:46pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 18 Oct 2018 11:23pm
PADDLEPOP1001 wrote: Thu 18 Oct 2018 10:46pm Rankine will go home in 2 years as will Lukosius
time to go a gun mid from Melbourne town Smith for me!
Not buying the Adelaide guys will go home after 2 years rhetoric. It is different between living in the gold coast and living in Melbourne but it is still a factor. It should be a factor but not the factor and there are plenty of examples of players that have left their home and gone interstate and stayed for most of there career, coming back towards the end.

Who do I want? Lukosious but very unlikely. Yes he is a forward but he was a #1 pick for a long time for a reason. He is all over the ground and looks like a nightmare to mark lie Roo was. Seems to have great vision kicks goals, takes marks, the kid looks that good
Then it is Rankin or Smith. Rankin is x factor personified but more a small forward that may play midfielder later where as Smith is a mid but an inside one. Either would be great and bad for various reasons

Who do I think we will get? Max King. Because we are idiots. The kid in untried due to his injury. Not his fault but he is an unknown quantity and we cant take the risk. But we will and still ahv ethe issue of only one fast player in the middle who really cant handle a tag.
I reckon once a local leaves Adelaide, they’re in no rush to get back ‘home’.
I think this is right. The only player I can recall who wanted to go home - more than once - was Bryce Gibbs. Pav never wanted to and young Burton was dead against it until he was left with no choice. Lachie Neale preferred to fly over SA to get to BrisVegas. Correct me if I'm wrong but I honestly can't remember a top-liner from SA wanting to go home.

If you grow up in Adelaide and then come to Melbourne (or Sydney) it's like a Disneyland experience. Literally all SA holds nothing over Melb or Syd - other than family and friends.
Didn't Jarman and Wanganeen go home to SA? That is two off the top of my head. Fair while ago though.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Kind of the point. Some do yes but how many and when in their careers. I am confident that a lot more stay for over 5 years then leave under 5. It shouldn't have a huge impact on the choice.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 19 Oct 2018 2:52pm If you grow up in Adelaide and then come to Melbourne (or Sydney) it's like a Disneyland experience. Literally all SA holds nothing over Melb or Syd - other than family and friends.
I dont know -- family is often a very large issue to go back for

Bailey Smith for me - Hannebery likes to mentor young players so he and Smith will have something to talk about

Seeya
Cordz2
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Fri 19 Oct 2018 5:12pm
PADDLEPOP1001 wrote: Thu 18 Oct 2018 10:46pm Rankine will go home in 2 years as will Lukosius
Not buying the Adelaide guys will go home after 2 years rhetoric. It is different between living in the gold coast and living in Melbourne but it is still a factor. It should be a factor but not the factor and there are plenty of examples of players that have left their home and gone interstate and stayed for most of there career, coming back towards the end.

Who do I want? Lukosious but very unlikely. Yes he is a forward but he was a #1 pick for a long time for a reason. He is all over the ground and looks like a nightmare to mark lie Roo was. Seems to have great vision kicks goals, takes marks, the kid looks that good
Then it is Rankin or Smith. Rankin is x factor personified but more a small forward that may play midfielder later where as Smith is a mid but an inside one. Either would be great and bad for various reasons

Who do I think we will get? Max King. Because we are idiots. The kid in untried due to his injury. Not his fault but he is an unknown quantity and we cant take the risk. But we will and still ahv ethe issue of only one fast player in the middle who really cant handle a tag.
I think this is right. The only player I can recall who wanted to go home - more than once - was Bryce Gibbs. Pav never wanted to and young Burton was dead against it until he was left with no choice. Lachie Neale preferred to fly over SA to get to BrisVegas. Correct me if I'm wrong but I honestly can't remember a top-liner from SA wanting to go home.

If you grow up in Adelaide and then come to Melbourne (or Sydney) it's like a Disneyland experience. Literally all SA holds nothing over Melb or Syd - other than family and friends.
Didn't Jarman and Wanganeen go home to SA? That is two off the top of my head. Fair while ago though.
They both left to join the newly established crows (Jarman) and Port (Wanganeen). To join those clubs at that time would’ve been tempting for them as a novelty of playing for SA. Those days are no longer there however.

derby Street
Club Player

Thompson

derby Street
Club Player

Just remembered another one - Danny Hughes (any else remember him )

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

derby Street wrote: Fri 19 Oct 2018 10:15pm Just remembered another one - Danny Hughes (any else remember him )
I remember a day at Moorabin when Hughes was playing for Melbourne and Plugger kicked about 4 in a quarter on him.

He got dragged and was sprinting to the bench while Plugger was lining up for goal.

The members side of the ground gave him hell.

Does anyone else recall this?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
derby Street
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 19 Oct 2018 10:32pm
derby Street wrote: Fri 19 Oct 2018 10:15pm Just remembered another one - Danny Hughes (any else remember him )
I remember a day at Moorabin when Hughes was playing for Melbourne and Plugger kicked about 4 in a quarter on him.

He got dragged and was sprinting to the bench while Plugger was lining up for goal.

The members side of the ground gave him hell.

Does anyone else recall this?
Well done Joffa

ace
Saintsational Legend

I despise guys with tattooes.
They are invariably violent people who don't play fair, never accept defeat, always coming back for more.
Damn it, make sure whoever you pick, he is covered in tatts.
Make sure he has rotten parents.
No more Puddings with great families.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

ace wrote: Sat 20 Oct 2018 3:21pm I despise guys with tattooes.
They are invariably violent people who don't play fair, never accept defeat, always coming back for more.
Damn it, make sure whoever you pick, he is covered in tatts.
Make sure he has rotten parents.
No more Puddings with great families.
You will only be half pleased with Hannebery then
Can't speak about his family but he did go to Xavier
But I'm sure he has 2012 inked on him somewhere?

Seeya
silverhalo
Club Player

Wouldn't be surprised at all if we trade Pick 4 on draft night.
Likely scenarios are:-

Pick 4 to Port Adel for 5 & 10 OR
Pick 4 to Adelaide for 8, 13 & 21.

I would say yes to either of those in a heartbeat.

older saint
SS Life Member

Cordz2 wrote: Fri 19 Oct 2018 6:33pm

They both left to join the newly established crows (Jarman) and Port (Wanganeen). To join those clubs at that time would’ve been tempting for them as a novelty of playing for SA. Those days are no longer there however.
Pick best player and create an environment they dont want to leave. Kernahan, Bradley, never left Carlton as they were won and were looked after ( brown bags i know).

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote: Sat 20 Oct 2018 8:40pm Wouldn't be surprised at all if we trade Pick 4 on draft night.

I would the first deal with Port only and swoop on Smith (pbly) but I can’t see them doing the deal...
Too expensive. Maybe we give our second back? Even that seems not enough

stkfc1
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sat 20 Oct 2018 9:51pm
silverhalo wrote: Sat 20 Oct 2018 8:40pm Wouldn't be surprised at all if we trade Pick 4 on draft night.

I would the first deal with Port only and swoop on Smith (pbly) but I can’t see them doing the deal...
Too expensive. Maybe we give our second back? Even that seems not enough
If Port were dumb enough to go for this you'd do it in a heartbeat. Smith will still be there at 5 and we'd get another crack at a good kid. Its all going to depend on who GC take. If it is the King bros, game on. Adelaide will come hard for our pick. Just hope our guys play hardball if it does.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Pick 4: Max King has been doing his rehabilitation program twice a day at St Kilda since undergoing a knee reconstruction early in the season. The athletic and damaging key forward is brilliant in the air, adept and agile at ground level and a match-winner. If not for the injury he would have been discussed much more regularly in the No.1 pick conversation.

Around the mark: Bailey Smith, Izak Rankine, Connor Rozee

---------------------

From AFL website. All arrows are pointing to King. A part of me hope the club takes King because I want to see the nuclear fallout from some on here, but Smith has got to be a massive chance too.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
saintadamski
Club Player

I would go Smith

His playing style is almost Judd-esque and he breaks lines better than Rozee and Rankin

He is fierce in his attack at the ball, and also a tackling machine.

He is a beautiful kick of the ball too...and he is from Vic

DJ Higgins
Club Player

If they take the twins Ben will be pick 6 so 2 would be max and 3 either lukoscious or Rankin Most likely Rankin as he is a different position to king. Smith looks good but he is an inside mid I prefer speed at the moment

DJ Higgins
Club Player

If they take the twins Ben will be pick 6 so 2 would be max and 3 either lukoscious or Rankin Most likely Rankin as he is a different position to king. Smith looks good but he is an inside mid I prefer speed at the moment

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Sun 21 Oct 2018 4:32pm If they take the twins Ben will be pick 6 so 2 would be max and 3 either lukoscious or Rankin Most likely Rankin as he is a different position to king. Smith looks good but he is an inside mid I prefer speed at the moment
Everything I read about Smith says he has speed but obviously very good at getting his own ball.

Rankine is very tempting, would have been perfect for our club circa 2008.

Max King I just don't understand the link to us, besides rehab. It would have been clearer if we lost Bruce or McCartin in the trade period but even then we still have Marshall and Battle.

Please GC, make our dilemma easier, keep the Kings together, take Rankine and let Port & the Crows throw everything at us...you best be very generous Port!

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 22 Oct 2018 4:33pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Sun 21 Oct 2018 4:32pm If they take the twins Ben will be pick 6 so 2 would be max and 3 either lukoscious or Rankin Most likely Rankin as he is a different position to king. Smith looks good but he is an inside mid I prefer speed at the moment
Everything I read about Smith says he has speed but obviously very good at getting his own ball.

Rankine is very tempting, would have been perfect for our club circa 2008.

Max King I just don't understand the link to us, besides rehab. It would have been clearer if we lost Bruce or McCartin in the trade period but even then we still have Marshall and Battle.

Please GC, make our dilemma easier, keep the Kings together, take Rankine and let Port & the Crows throw everything at us...you best be very generous Port!
I should have been clearer. Smith isn't slow, I meant speed on the outside where as Smith gets quickly to the congestion and then goes in and get the ball.
you raise a good point about our forwards and how we have a lot of them which is a reason not to get King which is good but I would be furious if we passed on Lukosios if he was available. Hypocritical I know but the wraps on this kid are huge, best in a decade and Roo Version II he is worth the gamble.

I like Rankin for many reasons and it would be nice to have some genuine excitement when ever the ball went near him in the fifty rather than how are we going to screw this up

My order would be Lukosious, then Rankine then Smith and I would be happy with any of them. But if we miss one because we traded our pick to Port for Pick 5 I would lose it especially if it is to get Max King, he is an unknown quantity except for one game this year I think where he outmarked a kid shorter than him and missed every second shot at goal. Pass

Club Player

I would pass on Rankine- tho he looks a class above in the juniors he already has a mature body and will not grow much more, nor get any quicker. Smith is in the Fyfe/Cripps mold - he will get bigger for another year or two. Walsh is small, a boomer Harvey type. We have one of these- Steven, so a pass on him.
Talls?? - McCartin a # 1, would be on a hiding to nothing to pick another tall (King) so I think we will pass. Lukosius is a Jack Watts (another # 1) clone- Watts a better kick. Will he have the body to match it with the big boys?
Rozee - don't know enough to pass comment.

we need midfield class - guys that can kick to the advantage of our forwards.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Karl Amon if available.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
guitars4
Club Player

I think we will take Max King because they have invested so much time into his rehabilitation so they must really rate him.Personally I would go for Baily Smith as we really need quality mids not tall forwards but that's only my opinion. I have no faith in our recruitment department but it's their job not mine let's hope they get it right :|

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Know very little about any of them but I reckon smith loooks very likely

#1 Ryder fan