St Kilda has pinned its faith on four mature-aged recruits leading into 2019

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chico2001
Club Player

Re: St Kilda has pinned its faith on four mature-aged recruits leading into 2019

Their skill level is extremely high as well and was from day dot, Hayes/Selwood probably the only "battlers" out of that lot but those 2 got to the top with sheer G&D. And as you said, they all trained harder than others. Cousins did have some "help" with his training though.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Re: St Kilda has pinned its faith on four mature-aged recruits leading into 2019

chico2001 wrote: Mon 03 Dec 2018 3:01pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 03 Dec 2018 2:44pm Where has it ever been stated or confirmed that the Saints only picked good kids from good homes?

I think you will find that the majority of 18 year old kids that get drafted are good kids in general and do the right things in life and they do come from decent homes. Its probably one of the reasons they get drafted in the first place. Good family and parent support goes a long way with any kids.
You tell me where it was stated?
On here by numerous posters. According to some we only picked good kids from good homes. Thank you, its total BS.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 04 Dec 2018 10:43am
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 03 Dec 2018 2:44pm Where has it ever been stated or confirmed that the Saints only picked good kids from good homes?

I think you will find that the majority of 18 year old kids that get drafted are good kids in general and do the right things in life and they do come from decent homes. Its probably one of the reasons they get drafted in the first place. Good family and parent support goes a long way with any kids.
On here by numerous posters. According to some we only picked good kids from good homes. Thank you, its total BS.
There were numerous articles during the Trout era, and many around the recruitment of McCartin which referenced Paddy coming from a good family and referencing his good character.
Below is an example.

There was obviously no clear mandate to only recruit with that criteria solely in mind, but it has been referred in direct comment from Trout in articles often enough to suggest it formed some part of the overall vetting process, probably with higher picks than lower due to so much more at stake.

Yes it is over played by posters on this site, but there is an element of truth in origination.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-11-2 ... y-mccartin

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Love how they’ve gone and got guys that have busted their guts to get onto an AFL list. Last few years looking in from afar it just seemed like we had a fair few players that just seemed happy to be on a list and weren’t willing to buy in and do the work to lift their games to an elite level.

chico2001
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 06 Dec 2018 11:21am
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 04 Dec 2018 10:43am

There were numerous articles during the Trout era, and many around the recruitment of McCartin which referenced Paddy coming from a good family and referencing his good character.
Below is an example.

There was obviously no clear mandate to only recruit with that criteria solely in mind, but it has been referred in direct comment from Trout in articles often enough to suggest it formed some part of the overall vetting process, probably with higher picks than lower due to so much more at stake.

Yes it is over played by posters on this site, but there is an element of truth in origination.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-11-2 ... y-mccartin
Fair comment Joffa, some truth to it.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Max will take at least a couple of seasons, and two pre-seasons, to get his body right for footy at the top level, while a lot of our players have only teased in the seniors despite being given ample opportunities to prove themselves.
Hannebury and Kent will definitely offer something, but not enough to push us back up to where we were only a few seasons ago in 2016.
I think the myth that we recruited for depth has been exposed for what it is when we did have a lot of injuries this year, and my prediction that we would struggle when Roo and Joey retired came true, sadly.
The absolute best we can hope for in 2019 is that Paddy, the Jacks (all of them), and Pierce develop into the players we need them to be, and that Dylan and Bruce can return from their injuries and have an immediate impact.
My main real concern is that we have kept too many of the same assistant coaches, some of whom have been there for years, and I don' t think that will be proved a correct decision by next season's end.
We need to find a fullback, and we need to find our preferred forward line because the last two years it has not been functioning. I don't know what we can about the Zebras situation. We need a good reserves system in place to develop our players, and I am really not sure this is the solution. Pierce having to play at Frankston is proof of that.
I am glad they brought Ratten in, and I am glad that there has been a mini turnover of players (although I do think that a lot of those that went didn't play a lot of matches in 2018, so don't know how this will improve us in 2019). I'm also glad we kept Lonie, because I think he is ready to become an AFL player.
I predict 9 wins in 2019.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sat 08 Dec 2018 9:58am, edited 2 times in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote: Thu 06 Dec 2018 12:01pm Love how they’ve gone and got guys that have busted their guts to get onto an AFL list. Last few years looking in from afar it just seemed like we had a fair few players that just seemed happy to be on a list and weren’t willing to buy in and do the work to lift their games to an elite level.
So am I. It is almost like a late '80s strategy. Bring in men instead of boys.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Phillips never comes up much in discussion of players expected to improve - I thought he showed a lot in his couple of games this year. And he's quite fast I thought - ?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Sun 09 Dec 2018 10:13am Phillips never comes up much in discussion of players expected to improve - I thought he showed a lot in his couple of games this year. And he's quite fast I thought - ?
If he is as good as his brother , and I personally think he will be better, should be a mid season bolter.