Is it weird..?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Is it weird..?

Several months back I created a thread where I detailed that for the first time I was considering not renewing my membership.

Without recreating that whole argument again... the basis centred around a concern that the current regime was doing more harm then good by remaining in control. I also made a list of things that I wanted to see in the off-season to start fighting the ship.

Long story short... the club made some changes as we all know. Not to the degree I hoped personally but they had some wins and it was enough for me to say well maybe they get it and we’re set to build on that over this year.

For one reason or another however I haven’t got round to renewing yet.

Then I had this thought, is it a bit weird that the club hasn’t reached out to ensure a 20 year club member has re-signed.

Don’t get me wrong... btw my erratic hours and the fact that I don’t often answer my phone anyway I have no particular desire to to speak to the club per’se, at least about this, but given that we need every member we can get our hands on (and mine is usually a social club membership) I would hope that the club is actively trying to re-sign its members in some form.
Email
Letter
Text message

Something.

Thoughts?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is it weird..?

skeptic wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 11:56am Several months back I created a thread where I detailed that for the first time I was considering not renewing my membership.

Without recreating that whole argument again... the basis centred around a concern that the current regime was doing more harm then good by remaining in control. I also made a list of things that I wanted to see in the off-season to start fighting the ship.

Long story short... the club made some changes as we all know. Not to the degree I hoped personally but they had some wins and it was enough for me to say well maybe they get it and we’re set to build on that over this year.

Then I had this thought, is it a bit weird that the club hasn’t reached out to ensure a 20 year club member has re-signed.

Don’t get me wrong... btw my erratic hours and the fact that I don’t often answer my phone anyway I have no particular desire to to speak to the club per’se, at least about this, but given that we need every member we can get our hands on (and mine is usually a social club membership) I would hope that the club is actively trying to re-sign its members in some form.
Email
Letter
Text message

Something.

Thoughts?
1. Paranoia
2. Conspiracy theorist

Stick to your wonderful inside info posts skeptic, they are insightful and informative.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Several months back I created a thread where I detailed that for the first time I was considering not renewing my membership.

Email
Letter
Text message

Something.

Thoughts?
They call from a mobile number.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 11:56am Several months back I created a thread where I detailed that for the first time I was considering not renewing my membership.

Email
Letter
Text message

Something.

Thoughts?
The club sells itself to those in the market. Have you considered competitively bidding your loyalty to the other 17 clubs?

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Email
Letter
Text message

Something.

Thoughts?
Last year I’ve decided that as long as Matt Finnis is CEO, I won’t be renewing my membership.

The club tried to reach out a few times via text and phone, but I told them I wasn’t interested. I can only assume that their membership department has been receiving a lot of negative correspondence from members, so they’re probably fed up with chasing disgruntled members.

Saints are still my club, but I don’t believe you need to hold a membership to prove your “loyalty” and at some point, the club needs to be able to sell itself to their supporters with more than just regurgitated timelines to premiership success and plans of being aggressive traders.

Furthermore, the club administrators should also be accountable for their decisions - good and bad.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
longtimesaint
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 12:42pm

Email
Letter
Text message

Something.

Thoughts?
Last year I’ve decided that as long as Matt Finnis is CEO, I won’t be renewing my membership.

The club tried to reach out a few times via text and phone, but I told them I wasn’t interested. I can only assume that their membership department has been receiving a lot of negative correspondence from members, so they’re probably fed up with chasing disgruntled members.

Saints are still my club, but I don’t believe you need to hold a membership to prove your “loyalty” and at some point, the club needs to be able to sell itself to their supporters with more than just regurgitated timelines to premiership success and plans of being aggressive traders.

Furthermore, the club administrators should also be accountable for their decisions - good and bad.
What’s Matt Finnis done to make you not renew?

One year will be our year
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Funny, as Matt Finnis is one of the nicest blokes you will ever meet out there. He would also work to the bone in a role like his for the footy club.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

We not only renewed- but upgraded to Level 1 Reserve seats (got 2nd row as well)!!!

Time to stick fat - and I think you will see that 2018 was an aberration.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 12:42pm

Email
Letter
Text message

Something.

Thoughts?

Maybe they should just be a sports club and people just enjoy the sport and leave all of the politics and profit out of it. A crazy idea that will never float I know.

BTW not renewing your membership because of an administrator sounds sooky.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 3:37pm Funny, as Matt Finnis is one of the nicest blokes you will ever meet out there. He would also work to the bone in a role like his for the footy club.
That may be the case, but it doesn’t make him a good administrator.

People are quick to mention what a nice bunch of blokes Finnis and co. are when defending the administration.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 4:21pm We not only renewed- but upgraded to Level 1 Reserve seats (got 2nd row as well)!!!

We'll certainly find out at the end of the 2019 home and away season whether it was or not.

I admire your loyalty and optimism, but some of us are totally pessimistic until Cho departs and the people behind the flawed decision to extend his contract also exit stage right

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I'm not wanting to make this should I review or not type of thread... like I've said I've opted to renew

This is more of a running of the club question.

We're on the lower end of the ladder for members, I would think the club would/should be working very hard to retain what they do have and to appeal to more.

If i was in charge of the membership department I'd be moving heaven and earth to keep the ones the club have/had and trying to re-recruit those that jumped off.

takeaway
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 5:39pm I'm not wanting to make this should I review or not type of thread... like I've said I've opted to renew

This is more of a running of the club question.

We're on the lower end of the ladder for members, I would think the club would/should be working very hard to retain what they do have and to appeal to more.

If i was in charge of the membership department I'd be moving heaven and earth to keep the ones the club have/had and trying to re-recruit those that jumped off.
Haven't fooled me Skeptic - being a person with very strong inside sources at the club you very well know the answers to your queries. Aren't you a life member anyway?

Crossy66
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 4:21pm We not only renewed- but upgraded to Level 1 Reserve seats (got 2nd row as well)!!!

I share this opinion, there is a lot to like about how 2019 is shaping up

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 6:12pm

I share this opinion, there is a lot to like about how 2019 is shaping up
Me too. I think the frothers and those annoyed at not having thier sense of self entitlement pampered in 2018 will be disappointed in 2019 and I'm hoping the pre season goes well and we have some luck with injury throughout the season. I'm guessing there is a quiet resolve inside the club and a sense of wanting to surprise the comp with a good performance. I also think the list is better than most give credit for. We almost pinched a finals birth in 16/17.

Can't wait for round 6.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

SydneySainter wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 4:58pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 3:37pm Funny, as Matt Finnis is one of the nicest blokes you will ever meet out there. He would also work to the bone in a role like his for the footy club.
That may be the case, but it doesn’t make him a good administrator.

People are quick to mention what a nice bunch of blokes Finnis and co. are when defending the administration.
How do you know he is not a good administrator?
I think he has done ok and helped oversee the Moorabbin redevelopment which was a massive multi million dollar project as one example.

Not saying you have personally abused Finnis, but its occurred too often on here hence my post about him being a good bloke that would no doubt work his arse off.

I would like to see Simon Lethlean become the CEO at seasons end.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 7:01pm I think the frothers and those annoyed at not having thier sense of self entitlement pampered in 2018 will be disappointed in 2019
Imagine if the people who are most disappointed in our 2nd 4 win season in 5 years are actually genuine, passionate fans… there's every chance these people will be just as excited as you when we actually start playing finals again.
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 7:01pm I'm guessing there is a quiet resolve inside the club and a sense of wanting to surprise the comp with a good performance.
I'm guessing every club says the same BS every single year.
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 7:01pm I also think the list is better than most give credit for. We almost pinched a finals birth in 16/17.
Who wants to pinch 8th spot? what a pathetic thing to hang your hat on… at any rate, the only reason we would have pinched a finals birth would have been 2 X 30+ years olds who have now retired.
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 7:01pm Can't wait for round 6.
If richo finally gets the chop then we can all celebrate, I won't hold my breath.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I was angry and very vocal in my disappointment on how things were playing out.
Convinced myself I was not going to renew.
Alas I think they did as much as they could in the off season without crippling the club. Particularly happy with Ratts, Gubby, the statsman, and moving Trout aside. I reckon off field is as good as it has been for a number of years. Were always going to struggle to recruit some decent players given our performance last year and perceived downward trajectory.
Renewed and received my 24 year membership pin shortly there after. Technically it would actually be 5 years longer but I cracked em one year mid 90s and didn’t renew for a year.
I’m a tragic. I still pay up even though I don’t get to many games.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 9:38pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 7:01pm I think the frothers and those annoyed at not having thier sense of self entitlement pampered in 2018 will be disappointed in 2019
Imagine if the people who are most disappointed in our 2nd 4 win season in 5 years are actually genuine, passionate fans… there's every chance these people will be just as excited as you when we actually start playing finals again.
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 7:01pm I'm guessing there is a quiet resolve inside the club and a sense of wanting to surprise the comp with a good performance.
I'm guessing every club says the same BS every single year.
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 7:01pm I also think the list is better than most give credit for. We almost pinched a finals birth in 16/17.
Who wants to pinch 8th spot? what a pathetic thing to hang your hat on… at any rate, the only reason we would have pinched a finals birth would have been 2 X 30+ years olds who have now retired.
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 7:01pm Can't wait for round 6.
If richo finally gets the chop then we can all celebrate, I won't hold my breath.
Maaaaate! you are wound up tight. Maintain the rage and don't let em get away with it. It's anger like yours that makes a difference.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 10:22pm Maaaaate! you are wound up tight. Maintain the rage and don't let em get away with it. It's anger like yours that makes a difference.
I'll tell you what, I'll maintain the rage if you can keep the cringe-worthy spiv manifesto going… and hopefully we also get a few more tidbits from your PhD's in Psychology and Philosophy.

Making stuff up like you makes a real difference, puts us in "good stead" with a "quiet resolve". :D

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Mon 21 Jan 2019 10:38am
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 10:22pm Maaaaate! you are wound up tight. Maintain the rage and don't let em get away with it. It's anger like yours that makes a difference.
I'll tell you what, I'll maintain the rage if you can keep the cringe-worthy spiv manifesto going… and hopefully we also get a few more tidbits from your PhD's in Psychology and Philosophy.

Making stuff up like you makes a real difference, puts us in "good stead" with a "quiet resolve". :D
Have you checked the age on your licence recently, you do have a license I assume?

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Email
Letter
Text message

Something.

Thoughts?
Not strange. All AFl clubs outsource their membership renewal services.
This generally ramps up in February.
Keep in mind there is a lot of leave happening around this time and the club will be running on skeleton admin staff at the moment anyway.
Trust me you will get spammed soon.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote: Mon 21 Jan 2019 12:54pm

Email
Letter
Text message

Something.

Thoughts?
Keep in mind there is a lot of leave happening around this time and the club will be running on skeleton admin staff at the moment anyway.
Thanks for the response

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 21 Jan 2019 5:34pm
IluvHarvey wrote: Mon 21 Jan 2019 12:54pm

Email
Letter
Text message

Something.

Thoughts?
Thanks for the response
Skeppers I say this with tongue firmly planted in cheek...but do we really accept the club is being run on a skeleton admin staff in the off season, doesn't the Chairman, CEO, head of football department, head coach, assistant coaches, and all the other bloody useless prix at the club know us passionate supporters want our premiership...we deserve it coz we is passionate and it's bloody January and we need our self entitlement pandered to
NOW!!!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

At the conclusion of the 2018 season I felt about as demoralised and numbed as I could be at what was an awful season. I took the view that I'd "review" my LEVEL of membership...SC, 16 game etc during the off season. After allowing myself to reflect on things, on why I became a member, and have renewed every season since 2000, and just WHAT positive things could be achieved by NOT renewing. I signed up for 2019 (on the same deal ) in December. At the end of the day, I have too many good friendships and camaraderie in my "saints family" to give it away! I just LOVE the club, I guess!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)