Josh Battle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Re: Josh Battle

lewdogs wrote: Sat 19 Jan 2019 12:28pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 17 Jan 2019 10:46am So take a player renowned for his goal kicking accuracy and play them in defence? That is one of the dumbest things I have heard for a while. Anyone remember our shots at goal last year.
Get the kid up forward
Look at the importance of players such as McGovern and Sicily. A good defender that can intercept mark and kicks well is absolutely vital. Also, Battle looks a decent enough forward but he hasn't been kicking bags in the VFL or anything.
Agreed good post. It all starts from the HBF's and the guts of the midfield these days. That is modern footy. Your HB line is probably the most important aspect of a side to get right.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 17 Jan 2019 10:46am So take a player renowned for his goal kicking accuracy and play them in defence? That is one of the dumbest things I have heard for a while. Anyone remember our shots at goal last year.
Get the kid up forward
Look at the importance of players such as McGovern and Sicily. A good defender that can intercept mark and kicks well is absolutely vital. Also, Battle looks a decent enough forward but he hasn't been kicking bags in the VFL or anything.
Agree lewdogs, just don’t think Battle is a similar player to McGovern or Sicily.

Happy to be proven wrong.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Sanctorum
Club Player

The comparisons to James Sicily, Jack Darling and Jeremy McGovern is interesting, because physically Battle at 193 cm is taller than Sicily (186) and closer to Darling (191) and McGovern (195).

It is immaterial where the club plays him in 2019 because even Darling spends time in defence and even McGovern swings forward when required. In essence Josh Battle has the potential to become a gun like the aforementioned 3 stars, a utility big man that can break open a game once he has fine tuned his physical fitness and footy skills.

At age 20 it will still take him some time to get to those levels, so we shouldn't get too carried away just yet, but hey, it will be great to see him develop!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
dragit
Saintsational Legend

He's an exciting prospect and I love his combative attitude but we haven't really seen enough yet to be comparable Ng him to stars of the comp... he could just as easily be a bust like spencer white.

I hope we see him in the seniors this year though.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Get the kid up forward
not disputing the importance of a good defender but that isn't battle. HE is still developing as a forward so I think its wrong to now play him back

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Get the kid up forward
Fortunately, you don't call the shots. :roll:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saint6709
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Sat 19 Jan 2019 4:05pm The comparisons to James Sicily, Jack Darling and Jeremy McGovern is interesting, because physically Battle at 193 cm is taller than Sicily (186) and closer to Darling (191) and McGovern (195).

It is immaterial where the club plays him in 2019 because even Darling spends time in defence and even McGovern swings forward when required. In essence Josh Battle has the potential to become a gun like the aforementioned 3 stars, a utility big man that can break open a game once he has fine tuned his physical fitness and footy skills.

At age 20 it will still take him some time to get to those levels, so we shouldn't get too carried away just yet, but hey, it will be great to see him develop!
I think you will find that mBattles physical dimensions are about the same as Tomlinson from GWS who we have reportedly chased a couple of times over the last few years - no surprise the saints have thought maybe Battle can play a similar role to him - definitely as there is no argument that
we are currently overstocked with tall forwards.

I posted a couple of years back that given his attributes Battle could play a similar wing role that Reiwoldt has played toward the end with the ability to drift forward - some poster shot me down unceremoniously and explained that Battle was a forward END OF STORY - I still think he could play wing and drifts forward

Just to clarify I am a fan and like him for next years rising star

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

saint6709 wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 9:27am
Sanctorum wrote: Sat 19 Jan 2019 4:05pm The comparisons to James Sicily, Jack Darling and Jeremy McGovern is interesting, because physically Battle at 193 cm is taller than Sicily (186) and closer to Darling (191) and McGovern (195).

I think you will find that mBattles physical dimensions are about the same as Tomlinson from GWS who we have reportedly chased a couple of times over the last few years - no surprise the saints have thought maybe Battle can play a similar role to him - definitely as there is no argument that
we are currently overstocked with tall forwards.

I posted a couple of years back that given his attributes Battle could play a similar wing role that Reiwoldt has played toward the end with the ability to drift forward - some poster shot me down unceremoniously and explained that Battle was a forward END OF STORY - I still think he could play wing and drifts forward

Just to clarify I am a fan and like him for next years rising star
Good post.

Personally, I would be happy if he turns out like Jack Darling or Jeremy McGovern. Forward or back.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 19 Jan 2019 11:08pm
Get the kid up forward
Fortunately, you don't call the shots. :roll:
good point, silly to play a forward up forward, lets put him on the half back line where we already have an abundance of HBF. Sure he had played virtually all his junior footy up forward and was picked as a forward and has a huge tank so he will out run defenders. Makes perfect sense to play him out of position.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Wondering how many here have seen much of Battle live.
If they had they would not be suggesting he could play a wing or transition role.

His strengths are endurance, good straight line speed, good hands, good kick for goal & hard at the contest.
His weaknesses are agility and lateral movement.

He plays nothing like Tomlinson or Sicily or McGovern.
He is more a Jack Darling style lead up forward.

If he had the skills to play a wing etc he’d have gone top 10 in the draft as his strengths are very, very good and in demand by clubs.

Interesting on here how we pump up a kid and jump off board just as quickly. A couple of years ago Bailey Rice was the backline panacea, now poor old concussion Bailey rarely gets a mention.

Battle can be a very good AFL player but it’s not going to be on a wing or as an intercept defender IMO, I believe it will be a lead up forward.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 2:00pm Wondering how many here have seen much of Battle live.
If they had they would not be suggesting he could play a wing or transition role.

His strengths are endurance, good straight line speed, good hands, good kick for goal & hard at the contest.

If he had the skills to play a wing etc he’d have gone top 10 in the draft as his strengths are very, very good and in demand by clubs.

Interesting on here how we pump up a kid and jump off board just as quickly. A couple of years ago Bailey Rice was the backline panacea, now poor old concussion Bailey rarely gets a mention.

Battle can be a very good AFL player but it’s not going to be on a wing or as an intercept defender IMO, I believe it will be a lead up forward.
Great post Joffa,

nice to see someone else who actually remembers how players play and what their strengths and weaknesses are. Battle is unlikely to be a power forward as he isn't big enough but he will run defenders into the ground and will take a lot of marks due to his speed off the mark. The delivery into the 50 from our mids last season was pretty poor and one note. Long bombs anyone. This is not how to get the ball to players like Battle as he doesn't have the size/ height to take pack marks regularly and will get knocked out of marking contest a lot, but kick it short and sharp so he can run onto it and watch his numbers improve.

I have no idea what people have seen that would suggest playing him in any other position. He is meant to have great accuracy in front of goals so play him where he can kick goals. You hit the nail on the head regarding his agility and lateral movement. He would be targeted due to this and would be caught often holding the ball if he played down back or on the wings full time. No doubt he will drift there at times but not full time.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Tue 22 Jan 2019 12:52pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 2:00pm Wondering how many here have seen much of Battle live.

Great post Joffa,

nice to see someone else who actually remembers how players play and what their strengths and weaknesses are. Battle is unlikely to be a power forward as he isn't big enough but he will run defenders into the ground and will take a lot of marks due to his speed off the mark. The delivery into the 50 from our mids last season was pretty poor and one note. Long bombs anyone. This is not how to get the ball to players like Battle as he doesn't have the size/ height to take pack marks regularly and will get knocked out of marking contest a lot, but kick it short and sharp so he can run onto it and watch his numbers improve.

I have no idea what people have seen that would suggest playing him in any other position. He is meant to have great accuracy in front of goals so play him where he can kick goals. You hit the nail on the head regarding his agility and lateral movement. He would be targeted due to this and would be caught often holding the ball if he played down back or on the wings full time. No doubt he will drift there at times but not full time.
Josh Battle 193cm.

Nick Riewolt 193 cm.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Surely the tall, athletic, long kicking halfback this season is going to be Dylan Roberton?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Tue 22 Jan 2019 2:01pm Surely the tall, athletic, long kicking halfback this season is going to be Dylan Roberton?
Yep and… Jimmy Webster and… Nick Coffield and… Logan Austin and… Brandon White and… Callum Wilkie…

takeaway
Club Player

dragit wrote: Tue 22 Jan 2019 2:08pm
Mr Magic wrote: Tue 22 Jan 2019 2:01pm Surely the tall, athletic, long kicking halfback this season is going to be Dylan Roberton?
Yep and… Jimmy Webster and… Nick Coffield and… Brandon White and… Callum Wilkie
Yep, such riches. Good stuff.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Tue 22 Jan 2019 2:15pm
It sounds great but… we only managed 4 wins with only one of those missing last year, so maybe they're not actually that good in the scheme of things.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Tue 22 Jan 2019 2:24pm
takeaway wrote: Tue 22 Jan 2019 2:15pm
It sounds great but… we only managed 4 wins with only one of those missing last year, so maybe they're not actually that good in the scheme of things.
Well the one missing was the best of them (IMHO) by a long way.
I'm not sure I'm ready to start comparing Roberton with Coffield, and White jut yet.
Webster I think is playing a different role to what is being discussed here.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 22 Jan 2019 1:46pm

Great post Joffa,

Josh Battle 193cm.

Nick Riewolt 193 cm.
Nick Riewoldt 193
Max King 204
Paddy McCartin 194
Josh Battle 193
Patrick Cripps 195

What is your point?
Last edited by Joffa Burns on Tue 22 Jan 2019 4:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 22 Jan 2019 4:05pm

Great post Joffa,

Josh Battle 193cm.

Nick Riewolt 193 cm.
Nick Riewoldt 193
Max King 2004
Paddy McCartin 194
Josh Battle 193
Patrick Cripps 195

What is your point?
:roll:

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 22 Jan 2019 4:09pm

Great post Joffa,

Josh Battle 193cm.

Nick Riewolt 193 cm.
Nick Riewoldt 193
Max King 2004
Paddy McCartin 194
Josh Battle 193
Patrick Cripps 195

What is your point?
:roll:
Yuck, the old pervert is rolling his eyes at me.
Need to take a shower 🚿

And Max King is really huge 2004 cm

<warning for baiting>

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Mins 2.42 / 3.07 / 3.28 - says you are wrong about his weaknesses 8-) :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I am in the camp that would like to see him as our lead up, marking forward, one of our key targets coming out of defence. Having said that, our list management decrees 2019 as a further development year as others appear favoured for the two, three or four bigger forward positions, if all fit. It seems the coaches have identified him to learn aspects of defence. Ratten is more than likely that instigator. I only say that because I watched a bit of Sicily at the Box Hill Hawks, very similar in presence and movement. Sicily then tried in the seniors and whilst serviceable, didn't quite nail it. They then chose a different tack with him and voila, Sicily, the 2018 attacking defender.
Not saying it will work but I do see the similarities at the respective stages of their careers.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Tue 22 Jan 2019 5:41pm Mins 2.42 / 3.07 / 3.28 - says you are wrong about his weaknesses 8-) :twisted:

Not picking a fight here but which part of this highlights package makes you think that he should play any other position than a leading forward? He was regularly kicking multiple goals from all angles, barely touched most the time.

But did he run thru traffic, did he dodge anyone, did he take mark when it wasn't one on one, did he tackle a lot

Sure he can learn what backs do to get better at playing them but to play him in defence seems like a waste

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Great post Joffa,

Josh Battle 193cm.

Nick Riewolt 193 cm.
Nick Riewoldt 193
Max King 204
Paddy McCartin 194
Josh Battle 193
Patrick Cripps 195

What is your point?
Paul Callery 165cm

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Great post Joffa,

Josh Battle 193cm.

Nick Riewolt 193 cm.
I just checked Urban Dictionary and '193cm' doesn't seem to mean anything! How can I tell what you're really saying???