Roberton’s electric heart

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Roberton’s electric heart

Last edited by kosifantutti on Wed 30 Jan 2019 8:02am, edited 1 time in total.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Robertson’s electric heart

Thanks kos.
Interesting!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
shrodes
SS Life Member

Medically inclined among us... is this a pacemaker? From the description it sounds like a pacemaker to me, so puzzling why they would call it "an electronic device inserted in his chest that monitors and corrects heart beat abnormalities"

Club Player

Re: Roberton’s electric heart

I presume it is an ICD ( the size of a small wallet - do people still carry wallets nowadays?) - implantable cardiac defibrillator. Monitors the heart rhythm - responds to dangerous arrhythmias with a shock.
Gutsy for Robbo to still want to play, most people who need this sort of device are advised to cease any contact/strenuous sport.
I presume the cardiologists have not been able to establish the cause of his collapse - ie the usual tests are negative, and do not know what to advise- so as a precaution.....

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
The Craw
Club Player

shrodes wrote: Tue 29 Jan 2019 10:00pm Medically inclined among us... is this a pacemaker? From the description it sounds like a pacemaker to me, so puzzling why they would call it "an electronic device inserted in his chest that monitors and corrects heart beat abnormalities"
Hey shrodes, a mate of mine has one .... an incredibaly fit bloke who participates in Ironman's and Marathons. He passed out whilst driving ... very lucky not to kill himself.

Basically it is a heart rate monitor which is linked to an app on your phone, it records your heart rate which is used by cardiac doctors for analysis. Usually lasts about a year. Definitely not a pacemaker.

The passing out can be caused from just over training .... being so fit your resting heart rate can be in the low 30's ..... sometimes it drops lower leading to low blood pressure which in turn causes the fainting.

I hope that gives you some explanation.

Not Craw, CRAW!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

My VIC neighbor is a Cardiologist (Interventionist) and quite well regarded.

Having discussed the new range of "pacemakers" with him some time ago there is apparently huge amount of technical advancements in these devices in the last 10 years and are very specifically tuned to the patient. The size has also reduced from where matchbox sized devices can now be as small as 1/8th that size.

Without inside info it would be merely speculation on what it is specifically monitoring and more importantly how it is intervening if in deed it is doing so.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
stonecold
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 30 Jan 2019 2:53pm My VIC neighbor is a Cardiologist (Interventionist) and quite well regarded.

Having discussed the new range of "pacemakers" with him some time ago there is apparently huge amount of technical advancements in these devices in the last 10 years and are very specifically tuned to the patient. The size has also reduced from where matchbox sized devices can now be as small as 1/8th that size.

Without inside info it would be merely speculation on what it is specifically monitoring and more importantly how it is intervening if in deed it is doing so.
Geez a week goes quick!!!!! ;)

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Wed 30 Jan 2019 4:06pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 30 Jan 2019 2:53pm My VIC neighbor is a Cardiologist (Interventionist) and quite well regarded.

Reported for baiting :lol:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
stonecold
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 30 Jan 2019 4:11pm
stonecold wrote: Wed 30 Jan 2019 4:06pm

Reported for baiting :lol:
👍👍👍👍👍

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯