Josh Battle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Josh Battle

Cairnsman wrote: Sun 03 Feb 2019 8:13pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 03 Feb 2019 8:00pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 03 Feb 2019 1:38pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 17 Jan 2019 8:46am Word is that the coaches want him to play back. He has been seen training alot with the defensive group and coach over pre-season. Not a bad move. We have a plethora of key forwards, especially once the King returns.
Do you think he will make an immediate impact down back, gee our backline looks structurally strong with Josh, Jake and Robbo as the interceptors and play makers. The 666 rule is expected to have the ball coming in quick this year so could be a good weapon.
Not sure yet. We'll see how Battle goes I guess but it could be a masterstroke sending him down back. J McGovern type maybe...
Gee I hope he doesn't make Alan look like a genius. It could put our round 6 plan in jeopardy.
I thought Bonehead has now been surrounded by different voices eg Lade, Ratten etc, who are likely the ones that suggested putting Battle down back.
We don't want Richo getting credit for the move.
In fact, while he was shipped off to a US Ivy League Uni for 'study', Ratts was in charge of pre-season.

See, it wasn't under Richo's watch at all.
Clever move by the club to distance AR from pre-season changes, cos any improvements can't easily be attributed to him.

Just sayin

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 03 Feb 2019 8:48pm Most coaches in professional sport (in Australia and overseas) are sacked if they have a poor win loss ratio after at least five years in the job. He is very lucky to still be coaching after round six LAST year. Some powerful voices in the media like Robbo and Brian Taylor and others are conflicted and compromised and didn't go hard enough like they would have if he wasn't a colleague or a mate. Forget the spin from the club and the sycophants on here, the fact is that the evidence is overwelming and the decision to delay a transition to a new regime may negatively impact some of our youth and may handicap any chance of us climbing the ladder in the next few years
So you got absolutely nothing then huh. Like others before you, I'm guessing you read a few whispers on social media, mostly this board and like those others, you added 1 + 1 and got 3.14159265359.

I've asked several posters about how they know about this admin-stuff up you speak of and each time it's been embarrassing for the poster due to the realisation they've been sucked in by Chinese whispers on the internet.

You can create any story you like to suit your belief system but unless you have proof, there was no admin stuff up.

I stand to be corrected if proof can be produced.
Last edited by Cairnsman on Sun 03 Feb 2019 9:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 03 Feb 2019 9:07pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 03 Feb 2019 8:13pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 03 Feb 2019 8:00pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 03 Feb 2019 1:38pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 17 Jan 2019 8:46am Word is that the coaches want him to play back. He has been seen training alot with the defensive group and coach over pre-season. Not a bad move. We have a plethora of key forwards, especially once the King returns.
Do you think he will make an immediate impact down back, gee our backline looks structurally strong with Josh, Jake and Robbo as the interceptors and play makers. The 666 rule is expected to have the ball coming in quick this year so could be a good weapon.
Not sure yet. We'll see how Battle goes I guess but it could be a masterstroke sending him down back. J McGovern type maybe...
Gee I hope he doesn't make Alan look like a genius. It could put our round 6 plan in jeopardy.
I thought Bonehead has now been surrounded by different voices eg Lade, Ratten etc, who are likely the ones that suggested putting Battle down back.
We don't want Richo getting credit for the move.
In fact, while he was shipped off to a US Ivy League Uni for 'study', Ratts was in charge of pre-season.

See, it wasn't under Richo's watch at all.
Clever move by the club to distance AR from pre-season changes, cos any improvements can't easily be attributed to him.

Just sayin
You do realise if you had of referred to Alan as 'The Bonehead" you would be permanently banned.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Cairnsman...
Look, the new pres was asked about Richo's safety in the job,
but gave a politician's answer that would warm the hearts of ScoMo, Shorten and Dutton.
Ducked n weaved like Dusty Martin.

Where there's smoke, etc...

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 03 Feb 2019 9:14pm Cairnsman...
Look, the new pres was asked about Richo's safety in the job,
but gave a politician's answer that would warm the hearts of ScoMo, Shorten and Dutton.
Ducked n weaved like Dusty Martin.

Where there's smoke, etc...
yep remember it well, the presser is not proof there was an admin stuff up, especially to support this belief amongst a very, very small minority of online posters the club desperately wanted to sack Alan but couldn't because of an admin stuff up, that presser didn't even come close to proof. Got anything else that is proof?

mordiboyz
Club Player

Mmmmm....

So the only forward who showed any sort of potential or composure is being moved to the backline.

This guy was mentored by Matthew Lloyd, he has spent his whole football career focused on being the best forward that he could be. Was improving and actually achieving his goals (not like the rest of the forward group).

Now he gets shunted to the backline.

I thought they only do this when the player is struggling with the tempo of the game?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Thought this thread was about Josh Battle.

Anyway, can’t see playing Josh in the backline working at AFL level. It may even stifle his development.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
shrodes
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 9:51am Thought this thread was about Josh Battle.

Anyway, can’t see playing Josh in the backline working at AFL level. It may even stifle his development.
I'm with you on that. I think his sort of swagger and a bit of figjam is well suited to playing forward, and from his interviews he seems to relish the position.
Though to play devil's advocate I guess it can help him learn to be accountable for his man?

mordiboyz
Club Player

Maybe it is part of the plan to make the pathway a bit easier for Paddy to get a game.

I would have loved to see Paddy and Josh "battle" it out for the number one position (pardon the pun)

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

mordiboyz wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 9:37am Mmmmm....

So the only forward who showed any sort of potential or composure is being moved to the backline.

This guy was mentored by Matthew Lloyd, he has spent his whole football career focused on being the best forward that he could be. Was improving and actually achieving his goals (not like the rest of the forward group).

I thought they only do this when the player is struggling with the tempo of the game?
8 games in, best time to teach a player new tricks. Before he gets all old and crusty and inflexible.
It's possible he might not cut it at AFL level too, in any postion. 8 games is a very very small sample size, albeit he showed some things that get you excited.

Versatility is the prototype for the modern player.

8 games. Long way to go.

mordiboyz
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 10:16am

8 games in, best time to teach a player new tricks. Before he gets all old and crusty and inflexible.
It's possible he might not cut it at AFL level too, in any postion. 8 games is a very very small sample size, albeit he showed some things that get you excited.

8 games. Long way to go.
It took Josh 3 games to hit his high total of 3 goals in a game. It took Paddy 5 years to get to this.

They are both the same height and are playing for the exact same position (so the comparison is relevant)

Premium89
Club Player

From the little we’ve seen of Rowan Marshall I think we can add him to the list of forwards with potential...

mordiboyz
Club Player

Premium89 wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 1:02pm

From the little we’ve seen of Rowan Marshall I think we can add him to the list of forwards with potential...
Touche, correct!!!

Rowan Marshall is another shining light.

You are getting me excited now :D :D :D

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

mordiboyz wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 10:21am
Cairnsman wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 10:16am

8 games. Long way to go.
It took Josh 3 games to hit his high total of 3 goals in a game. It took Paddy 5 years to get to this.

They are both the same height and are playing for the exact same position (so the comparison is relevant)
You do realise that logic can be deconstructed with endless examples of the complete opposite. Think of how many accomplished footballers established thier credentials after shocking debuts or slow starts. And that's just by applying reverse logic, the logic fails so many tests and is way too simplistic.

mordiboyz
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 2:33pm
You do realise that logic can be deconstructed with endless examples of the complete opposite. Think of how many accomplished footballers established thier credentials after shocking debuts or slow starts. And that's just by applying reverse logic, the logic fails so many tests and is way too simplistic.
Yes very simplistic. Sometimes things are. Essentially football is pretty simple, if you score more than the opposition you win.

Can you tell me any areas where Paddy is ahead of Josh?

Marks taken, kicks, conversion ratios, metres gained, handballs, TOG, leadership ability etc
Last edited by mordiboyz on Mon 04 Feb 2019 3:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

I would like to know whose idea this is. Live and die by the sword

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 3:20pm I would like to know whose idea this is. Live and die by the sword
Hey we were sitting around passing the bong and all I did was float it ..... as a bit of a joke .... next thing you know ..... :shock:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
takeaway
Club Player

mordiboyz wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 2:57pm
Yes very simplistic. Sometimes things are. Essentially football is pretty simple, if you score more than the opposition you win.

Marks taken, kicks, conversion ratios, metres gained, handballs, TOG, leadership ability etc
To me, Josh hasn't shown much yet except good aggression, and he has a good kick. Only played 7 games. Hopefully he will keep improving, and may take CHF or FF in time. But at the moment, Paddy would be ahead and imo has more upside, as long as he can stay on the park.
Probably why Josh is being tried in the backline - others preferred before him in the forward line, and backline might teach him some more skills. Stats don't mean much when a player has only played 7 games, but for example Paddy is ahead in kicks, marks, no doubt Josh is ahead in conversion, all in all probably similar.

Giving Josh a run in the backline is a good idea imo, will be interesting.

Crossy66
Club Player

Hes a beautiful kick, can take a mark, and has good forward pressure that made me think he could end up a hamill type. So scratching my head as to the merits of sending him down back.
But right now, he is behind paddy and Bruce and membury.
I suspect they want to squeeze Marshall in as a back up ruck cum forward, and then there's max king on the horizon.
Absolutely nothing wrong with turning him into a swing man and his foot skills will be welcomed coming out of the backline

But if we keep kicking more points than goals........

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Personally I feel like we should have traded Paddy for a second rounder and taken Rozee or Smith with pick 4. Would have left us with Bruce and Membrey as our primary tall forwards and Battle competing with Marshall for the last spot. Instead we have all of Bruce, McCartin, King, Membrey, Marshall and Battle on the list and we can only play three of them in the forward line at once. So the coaches are going to have to mix things up to make use of this massive surplus of key forwards. Dunno about moving Battle into the backline though.

I agree with the sentiment that it seems very strange to be moving a very promising, natural forward who is an excellent kick for goal to defence. Especially since there isn't really a free spot in defence either. Here's hoping he becomes a hybrid of McGovern and Sicily but I'm not confident that this is a great idea. I would have preferred to see Battle developed into a late career Richardson/Riewoldt style wingman who pushes forward.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Draft selection and contracts would be about it. Josh and Paddy both still have a have a ways to go though. Ive got a feeling Marshall may push his way into the forward line in a key position.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I suppose one of the subtle points is, relax, just a smidgen more time needed to see which way the dominos fall. And the positive thing is we could have some real competition for certain spots if a few players start delivering on potential, especially in the areas where we are perceived to be overstocked.

Another example of the sum of all parts, players delivering on potential and competion for spots colliding together. Salivating isn't it.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 7:24pm

I suppose one of the subtle points is, relax, just a smidgen more time needed to see which way the dominos fall. And the positive thing is we could have some real competition for certain spots if a few players start delivering on potential, especially in the areas where we are perceived to be overstocked.

Another example of the sum of all parts, players delivering on potential and competion for spots colliding together. Salivating isn't it.
Okay Bruce, take it easy! :wink:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The thinking might be Josh Bruce and Paddy can't play back while Jake and Nathan have question marks over durability so Josh Battle for his sin of versatility will be used as a redundancy/flexibility option, noting the odds of J. Bruce and P. McCartin playing many consecutive games together are long given their injury histories. Coaches just making contingent plans?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 05 Feb 2019 12:41am The thinking might be Josh Bruce and Paddy can't play back while Jake and Nathan have question marks over durability so Josh Battle for his sin of versatility will be used as a redundancy/flexibility option, noting the odds of J. Bruce and P. McCartin playing many consecutive games together are long given their injury histories. Coaches just making contingent plans?
No doubt Bruce had a shocking run last year but prior to that he had been very durable. After establishing himself in our best team he played 65 out of 67 games before getting injured last year.