I didnt know....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: I didnt know....

Eat & breathe
Sleep & s*** in safety
Love
Esteem
Achieve

Or so someone once said.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Life is easy.
Work-money-supermarket-bottlo
Done

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 06 Feb 2019 6:55pm Life is easy is it?

Please..
Of course it is. Well, if you can settle for what you need and then convince everyone around you it is what they want.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Wed 06 Feb 2019 5:44pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 06 Feb 2019 3:47pm
Nice philosophy rodgerfox, but each to their own.

Some people are content to live a simplistic life and some wish their legacy to be what they have built and achieved and how they impacted society throughout their life.

Without those who are prepared to put their balls on the line and build our SME's 4.6M Australians wouldn't have the option to earn a comfortable living and live with their needs instead of their wants.

Making money and building a business is not just about travelling Business class and driving a European car and having a boat and multiple properties, it is about what that business allows you to do with your family and how you can impact & improve society in general.

These things include supporting charities, sponsoring local sporting clubs, supporting those in need, working on local infrastructure and helping to improve where we live for future generations & it allows you to help insure your kids and their kids have opportunities such as a great education and university.

And some people actually enjoy working and feel fulfillment from what they achieve in their work environment. For some people their work or business defines them.

For me I respect most those who can achieve the balance between work, providing for your family and enjoyment.
I don't have a problem with any of that.

My point was and is, that if you judge yourself on what others are doing, and base your self worth on how others judge you - it's a recipe for misery, self-loathing and frustration. Because for every person that thinks you're hot, rich, successful or whatever - there's another 50 that think you're ugly, fat, a loser and don't have nearly half as much in the bank as they do.

It's why, in my opinion, society is generally unhappy, angry and self-medicating just to get by.

'Success' is relative.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with 'high achieving'. As long as you know that what you're seeking is a 'want', not a 'need'.
Success is relative!

Absolutely agree, I have an acquaintance who I see a couple of times a year who is literally a billionaire and probably the richest man in South Africa.

Other than his watch and shoes you’d have no idea and he is one of the most unassuming people you would ever meet. I know an Australian man who is probably worth 1/10th of this gentleman but he is a very high profile business man.

I find your comments above very interesting, my daughter is a psychologist and I’d love to have her read it.

Are you suggesting that the average person compares themselves to others from a financial and appearance perspective? I couldn’t give a hairy rats ringer if the guy in front of me on the plane is Lachlan Murdoch or the guy 30 rows back digs ditches for a living. I wouldn’t contemplate any comparison positive or negative and would treat both equally.

If this is the (Kardashian) mindset of people today god help them. I disagree with the generalization society is largely angry and self medicating and I have a broad range of socio economic contact with people.

Your last comment on high achieving on need verses want is your opinion but to me does not make any sense.
There is no need to be rich in your model, only want.

High business achievers don’t need to help charities, local sport, the environment, local infrastructure etc, they do it because they want to.

Where would society be without being propped up by the high achievers? I think it unusual that you link high achievers with greed as opposed to the philanthropic work undertaken.

If there was not the want of those high achievers those in need or those happy to fulfill just their needs would be going without.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Mm. Ayn Rand would be in full agreement, joffa!

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Thu 07 Feb 2019 8:48am Mm. Ayn Rand would be in full agreement, joffa!
Atlas was a masterpiece 👍

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

“We can evade reality,
though we cannot evade the consequences
of evading reality.”

best we hone in on
what reality
actually might be
then

it is , as we create it.

is it not

which is not say
that ‘that’
is reality with a capital R
just the first step
that needs understanding/experiencing/integrating
to allow the unfoldment

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Crossy66
Club Player

A great quote about not over complicating things by John Lennon:
"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life".

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

My mother was a Psychiatrist. From all accounts she was a successful one. She always said 'wealth is a great foundation for a comfortable life but, no more a retreat from mental illness than poverty. Peace of mind has no value to anyone but one's self'

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Ajantis wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 12:40pm Hi,

As an AFL footballer, if you declare you have mental health issues and go public then you are void from all drug tests.
Interesting....

Cheers
There was dicussion / rumour of this few years ago as it was felt quite a number who were on 1 or 2 strikes were getting out of sanction by declaring -

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 07 Feb 2019 7:28am

Where would society be without being propped up by the high achievers? I think it unusual that you link high achievers with greed as opposed to the philanthropic work undertaken.

I'm not linking high achievers with greed at all.

I'm highlighting that there is a perception that if you don't have lots of money, cool clothes, fast car and lots of instragram followers - you're not a high achiever. You're not successful.

Therefore, the conclusion is literally that you're unsuccessful. You're an underachiever.

And therein lies the problem. You go through life seeing yourself as a failure - you're going to be mentally unwell.

I don't link high achievers and success with money at all. Money is not the aim of the game.

You can be a high achiever and successful, with only having enough money to eat and sleep safely.

People who realise that, are content. They've won at life.

People who don't realise that, can still be content and happy - as long as they're aware that chasing anything beyond that is their choice. It's not an expectation that determines your value as a person.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Just try enjoy life as best you can people.

Its not all about money and having a job title with prestige. I'm a massive believer in that everyone just has to contribute to society during their lives and basically do the right thing by others and society. How hard is that? Not very. Lets be honest. I couldn't care if you're studying, are a business executive or clean toilets or volunteer. Just do something and never look down on anyone in what they do for a living.

All these wankers on Instagram and Facebook or whatever that have to prove to everyone how successful and happy they are just that...fake people. That isn't sucess and life. Do what makes you happy and own what makes you happy...forget what everyone else is doing.

Even on the average income in Australia, you are still in the richest 5% of people in the world. Remember that.

He who eats and drinks with the rich leaves the table hungry.
~ Ancient Greek Saying ~

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Ajantis
Club Player

Hi,

I am a member of the BA Facebook ( blokes advice ) and its so sad to see what some people, go through on a daily occurance.
That facebook pages helps these guys through some pretty hard times.

Just my 2 cents

Cheers

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I also don't do FB or instagram, but in my mid 50s, I tell myself every year, I must get over my fears and cynicism and join up, but each time i get close (i have two dead accounts) I get close, I run away.

Here is the thing, I am wondering if my doubts about social media, how I detest the way it shows 'how many friends' and how the selling and re-selling of cookies, browsing metrics, personal information to third and fourth parties which in turn affects the way the world is exposed to you and how you are exposed to mean anything at all, and finally, as I move into my sixties and beyond, (hopefully) I wonder if my avoidance of social media will leave me isolated and lonely (and desperately posting on Saintsational!!)

I do not know how to control the way my FB looks to others, and i know FB force you to opt out and they change their rules whenever they like. If I joined any number of groups which I think could be helpful for me, (like the mens FB group above mentioned) could I even control the visibility?

In 2010, Facebook hit Japan big time. It was three years late. Boy was i grateful for those three years.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Thu 07 Feb 2019 9:49am A great quote about not over complicating things by John Lennon:
"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life".
Without getting too deep, I don't agree that happiness is the key to life.

There's a baseball quote from a famous manager that goes along the lines of "everyone has three good innings, and three bad innings. It's what you do with the other three that matters."

I see life that way.

Everyone has highs. And everyone has lows.

You can't be happy all the time. And you can't avoid the lows in life. We all have them.

It's the average times that you should embrace, and accept.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

absolutely agree

happiness or the pursuit of it
has nowt to do with a life well lived

what we do with the ‘catalyst’ in our lives
(especially the reaccuring catalyst)
determines our evolutionary progress

as far as i can see
(‘n people detest ‘this’ bit)

we are experiencing ... justice , expressing itself

(the deep mind in us each
‘gets’ the truth of that statement)

ie : our willingness to accept responsibility
for our experience is KEY

after that its just hard but satisfying work

imo fwtw

edit : + honourable in the hard but satisfying bit
Last edited by asiu on Mon 11 Feb 2019 10:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

So it is wriiten in the stars and heavens, one must bend to the will of the cosmos.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

An informal quiz in an EFL (Englsih as a Foreign language) class once. It was a ‘forced choice’ and the students had to choose with, in terms of living the right, better, optimal (or whatever you call it) life the goal is a) to challenge yourself, never just accept who you are now, strive, strive, strive, break the mold, off with barnacles etc..fight against the inertia that can befall the unwary
VS

Your goal should be acceptance. Accept who you are, for all your traits, bad good otherwise, and accept your own flawed judgment of yourself, and those judgmentsof others. Accept, accept, accept. Don’t fight yourself it force yourself to change

They were about 18-21 - voted about 60/40 for position A. No prizes for guessing which way the footy coach preaches!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Crossy66
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Mon 11 Feb 2019 8:31pm
Same message different delivery different time.

So the relevance for SS?
Hopefully during the season, people will enjoy the forum, enjoy a bit of banter and enjoy debating the odd issue. Hopefully everyone will respect each others opinion, no matter how unfounded. Remember that you dont know the other person, their level of intelligence, mental capacity or the impact a tirade of abuse will have on them.

Most of all remember that you are a supporter, so be supportive rather than tearing down the club when things dont go according to plan.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 11 Feb 2019 7:16pm So it is wriiten in the stars and heavens, one must bend to the will of the cosmos.
if
that was a synopsis of my contribution
i’d say No to that

free will rules

being bent or bending to the ‘will of the cosmos’
is ones own mental/energetic creation
... ok ... no right or wrong ... just a choice

but i can’t see any wisdom in that

but i can in a different choice ...
being / becoming the Will / going with the flow jo

... which allows more an ongoing observation of an Unfoldment
than an ongoing fight for ones right to control their bit of the uncontrollable

the wisdom seekers will say
... the Way is easy if you don’t mind what happens to you

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Maybe your destiny, my destiny and everyone's destiny has already been pre determined to a degree. One thing you can't change is the cosmic order on a physical and scientific level.

Total = 1.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 12 Feb 2019 10:54am One thing you can't change is the cosmic order on a physical and scientific level.
Say this to yourself when sleeping in....(gives you at least another hour)

asiu
Saintsational Legend

interesting

i observe myself
tending to agree
that ‘within the field of possibilities’
destiny can seem predetermined

though
depending on choices made
earlier in ‘the’ experience

here’s the first problem

where did the experience start ?

which is an absolute minefield of wasted mental ajudications , imaginings , reasonings , desires
(i know this coz i’ve been there)

so i need you to jump
so as we dont get lost in that shite

a three part Being

each is

mind /body / Spirit

an awareness in an earth suit basically

the earth suit is a creature of the mind
mind a creature of Spirit
awareness is Spirit being It’s nature

free will It’s field of play

so
given i expressed a reasonable accuracy
(worthy of presentation , hopefully)
[given the splinter i have in my arse about accuracy]

lets get back to Now

each 3 part being
plays on a see saw

the ‘horizontal’ field of possibility

the One stick , so to speak

negative at one end
positive at the other
naturally neautral/ balanced in the centre

life / the experience
in this dimension
seems to be about getting dumped on the see saw

energy in motion

as a freshly born awareness in a bag of bones with an accessible recognition of Self
(as one not seperate)

one drops itself
(oh yea , where did all this start again ?)

into the game

(why ... coz we choose to)

only problem is , and its intentional
love has an opposite

in reality , same same
same see saw

but here

its the law of the jungle verses the Law of One
and its a continuing Choice
of where we play on the see saw

certain choices create certain destiny
.. observably mechanistic
.. justice expressing itself (so to speak)

but not a right / wrong game

experience of Choice is the game

“every action has its equal and opposite”

kill .. be killed
destiny is karmic due

lawful and mechanistic

how long have we been killing each other
or is that ourself

when did it start again ?

why did i choose that brilliantly psychopathic law of the jungle server to be my father
when i by nature flit around the known universes
on my pink ‘n purple unicorn

obviously .... a need for balance

lest i become , that , that i fight

which ‘destiny’ shall i choose ?

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

You are a deep thinker about the cosmos asiu but your posts are a little hard to tackle. Can you write in plain English sometimes?

<new rule: not allowed to comment negatively about / to poster/s - one day ban applied>

Total = 1.